Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Turbine Launch Event at Gamestop

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

On the 23rd of April, Carolyn Koh attended one of five launch parties being held across the United States to celebrate the launch of Turbine's Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar. The party was held, appropriately, at GameStop.

Monday April 23rd, 2007. The launch of Turbine's Lord of the Rings Online (LotRO) was due at midnight for the 24th and Turbine was hosting a launch party at the GameStop here in Bellevue Square, Bellevue Washington as well as in four other cities across the USA.

The festivities started earlier with a dinner for fans organized by IGN and some showed up in costume for the launch event. For midnight on a Monday night, the fan turnout was gratifying for the staff of both Turbine and GameStop.

"This is awesome!" exclaimed Meghan Rodberg, Community Manager for LotRO. "This is a great turnout for the middle of the night on a Monday," as she surveyed the crowd milling around, talking and examining the bags of swag they received with their receipts of for the game.

Read the whole report here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

I like this game. I am still on the fence about buying.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416
    These guys set the benchmark for "the worst level of nerdom EVAR".

It gives me satisfaction in knowing there are lower levels of nerdom then playing games 24/7.

---

• KoolaiderKoolaider Member Posts: 450

Hahahaha....

Anyway, I like the VoIP myself. Won't play the game ever again, but it's a nice thing to have.

• vingvegavingvega Member Posts: 577
    HAHA, what a bunch of losers.  God, some people take this crap way to far.
  • TamalanTamalan Member Posts: 1,117

Concerning the pic....

I was going to ask  'Where are all the hobbits?'

But then i realised those four very obviously ate them.

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523
    Well that was freaky.  I played the beta for a while, but honestly, there is nothing, i mean nothing at all original here.  This is the second Turbine game that I played that is just bland and unoriginal.  Its  a very well done but completely un-inspirering and un-original game.

On the other hand I would love to have been there to see the freak show.  I bet they had their "LoTR the card game" decks with them.

Out of the whole thing I just find it so sad how some companies completelly abuse and exploit the fans of their franchises, i mean i just fele sorry for all Star Wars fans these days and it looks like its turn for LoTR starting with this game.
  • TalruneTalrune Member Posts: 339

Personally i would never dress up, but to the first 3 or so replys I would suggest if you do not have anything good to say then do not say anything at all.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Carolyn confused a Rider with Death.

Outside of that, good article. Looks like it was alot of fun.

• DanmannDanmann Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 95
    No wonder I saw a dude in a cheap cloak chasing a midget run by my house a couple nights ago...

Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the reviews of MMORPG.com or its management.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Danmann

No wonder I saw a dude in a cheap cloak chasing a midget run by my house a couple nights ago...

Sorry, Dan. That was me. There's a reason I call my significant other the "little woman". Sadly, you caught us at a bad time, as she had just drunk the last of my lager, and I was a bit upset

• JadarJadar Member Posts: 300

Originally posted by vingvega
    HAHA, what a bunch of losers. God, some people take this crap way to far.

Yeah, I say the same thing, allot, have ya noticed some peoples post counts?

• GRIMACHUGRIMACHU Member Posts: 528
    Originally posted by vingvega

HAHA, what a bunch of losers.  God, some people take this crap way to far.

Postmortem Studios
    Roleplaying games to DIE for
    Shop here

• spacebotspacebot Member UncommonPosts: 148

Somehow I just knew some nerd would make fun of other nerds for dressing up for a party.

OK ok it was a launch party for a game but that's about as lame as most parties anyway.

Of course it doesn't help that some folks who dress up don't bother to match the character to thier body size....

I was nice to read about a luanch party thanks for the piece.

• princeearwigprinceearwig Member Posts: 15

**Shudder**

memories of fat birds dressing as "sylph-like" vampire wenches from previous experiences at such parties....

On a more politically correct vein... Its your personal image thats the important one :P

and I personaly was, for a significant number of years, a fully paid up member of the running around with a rubber sword brigade!!

Larp rules.... or at least it used to :)

• mrnukemmrnukem Member Posts: 14

Once all you people calling them names get a life outside of high school you will learn that just because someone is different is no reason to call them names or to make fun of them. In your attempt to act cool by name calling all your doing is making yourselves look like the inmature kids that you most likely are.

If people want to have fun with something then let them do so in peace without contempt and slander.

** Mistrust Authority. Promote Decentralization **

• LucifrankLucifrank Member Posts: 355

Nice article. Seems like Turbine is really creating a rich sensory experience with this game--the musical instruments seem like a very nice touch to this title. Even though I've read a lot of critics describing the play style of LoTR as "more of the same", I see nothing wrong with an accessible game that does justice to the franchise--something that pleases both gamers and Tolkien enthusiasts. At worst, I'm sure this'll be another good "gateway drug" for people who have never played MMORPGs. I could definitely see myself giving this game a shot.

• LucifrankLucifrank Member Posts: 355
    Originally posted by mrnukem

Once all you people calling them names get a life outside of high school you will learn that just because someone is different is no reason to call them names or to make fun of them. In your attempt to act cool by name calling all your doing is making yourselves look like the inmature kids that you most likely are.

If people want to have fun with something then let them do so in peace without contempt and slander.

Well said. Once the kids hit adulthood and mature a bit, they'll realize being a grown-up isn't always easy, and whatever people need to do to get through their day--whether dressing up in outlandish costumes, working out, knitting, or watching Monday Night Football--is all good as long as they're not doing any harm.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by godpuppet

These guys set the benchmark for "the worst level of nerdom EVAR".

It gives me satisfaction in knowing there are lower levels of nerdom then playing games 24/7.

I bet the person who owns the tree that lady ripped the branch off of is pissed about right now.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

Those aren't even 'outlandish costumes'. They're cheap Halloween stuff.

I have to tell you, I'd much sooner blast people for drinking alcohol at a party than for dressing up for it.

It would help if they dressed appropriately for their body, though. The disease of LARPs everywhere is obese elves with eyeglasses.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • CarolynKohCarolynKoh Staff WriterMember Posts: 202

That's real chainmail by the way - spendy stuff - and they won between them... a lifetime subscription to the game, some game cards and I think a collector's edition of the software.  Not bad for being nerds.  ;)

Heh.  Yeah.  I was pondering... Nazgul?  Death rider?  Just a skeleton?  But he wasn't talking.  ;)

Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.

• Cry0Cry0 Member UncommonPosts: 52

The game is fun because its lord of the rings.  Really great scenary, turbine puts you right into the lotr story line, having you do a book series of quests that leads to quests with rangers and such.  Cant say i didnt like it, i was the 2nd or 3rd max level on brandywine and the 1st hunter but wow, after you hit 50 its kinda like ok now what.  Before the wipe i had bought 2 horses, made al monster players stop doing monster play and did every quest available, including a lot in areas players had to exploit to get to.

I know they had more group oriented content later but honestly, the game doesnt have the mechanics to have a great pve endgame, and the monsterplay system, although interesting, is really lame once you get over the initial *this is new*.