Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard Grind time sink , stay clear

This game is nothing but a grind time sink , stay clear !!!!!!!!

who me ?

Comments

• rollnstnsrollnstns Member Posts: 53

Aren't all level based mmorpgs, basically a grind?

Aren't all mmorpgs basically time sinks? Every minute you play, is a minute you never get back.

No news here.

• slippyCslippyC Member Posts: 396
    Hello Mars, see you are still over here trolling....

• FargolFargol Member UncommonPosts: 303
    Originally posted by rollnstns

Aren't all mmorpgs basically time sinks? Every minute you play, is a minute you never get back.
    No news here.
    Yes, absolutely.

But Vanguard, IMHO, is a grind that is not much fun.

Every mmorpg requires travel time, and maintenance time (fixing armor, buying/selling, etc), and other non-quest, non-combat related activities. I felt that I was spending a much higher percentage of my online time doing these types of activities.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by slippyC

Hello Mars, see you are still over here trolling....
    Agreed... c'mon Mars..this is your second VG troll of the morning.. I know you like LotRO.. (so do I), go and play it and leave the VG forums be....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• morpinmorpin Member Posts: 360
    Agreed x 2.  Mars you win.  Vanguard sucks. LOTOR is the best game ever.  You have made your point ... go away.

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310
    i keep hearing LOTR is good, been googling and seen it has an overall high rating. but as far as vanguard and its grinding in every game there is some grinding, no matter what game u come across, even in LOTR, but when i was in the Beta there was an amazing amount of quests to do, lot oriented in "epic-prologue" which i tend to think is lore oriented quests. either way i may very well get LOTR once i have enough money. not really sure at this pioint, but may very well do it once it had some time to grow. but vanguard can be good if the devs clean it up a more.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561
    Originally posted by Fargol

No news here.
    Yes, absolutely.

Every mmorpg requires travel time, and maintenance time (fixing armor, buying/selling, etc), and other non-quest, non-combat related activities. I felt that I was spending a much higher percentage of my online time doing these types of activities. Exactly. The whole point of making an MMO is to substantiate every intended feature with timesinks. The whole challenge of creating a "fun" MMO is masking the grind as much as possible. All MMOs are a grind, sure, that's intended. Not all MMOs are fun though, that's the difficult part. Grind complaints specific to Vanguard are legitimate.
  • sololocosololoco Member Posts: 542

Don't go by whatever ratings you see posted in here for ANY games.  These figures are upgraded unfairly for the most part by fanbois as well as low-leveled by those who dislike the games.

Unfortunately, you need to either play the game to see for yourself or use good judgement in what you see written.

As far as VG, the game is a grind, a massivie grind at that but just about all games are. The difference here for me was it was a boring grind so I packed up and left.

As far as Lotro, I haven't played as I see it's just more of the same.  May not be exactly the same but it's the same type game, missions and everything else for the most part. Plus, I see many players complaining as with VG.

• morpinmorpin Member Posts: 360
    Originally posted by sepher

No news here.
    Yes, absolutely.

Every mmorpg requires travel time, and maintenance time (fixing armor, buying/selling, etc), and other non-quest, non-combat related activities. I felt that I was spending a much higher percentage of my online time doing these types of activities.Exactly. The whole point of making an MMO is to substantiate every intended feature with timesinks. The whole challenge of creating a "fun" MMO is masking the grind as much as possible. All MMOs are a grind, sure, that's intended. Not all MMOs are fun though, that's the difficult part. Grind complaints specific to Vanguard are legitimate.

OK fine.  I happen to feel that the the vanguard quests are not a grind;  they have a plot.  I am currently doing the Old Mother sparrow quests in Southwatch.  There abotut 7 quests in the line.  None of them involve just killing x number of n creatures and then killing x*10 number of the same creatures.  Ther are a few of the kill x number of n creatures quests, but I would have to sya that that only makes up about 30% of the quests, which I think is a rather reasonable percentage.

And lets face it, Mars posts are not constructive.  He makes blanket statements about the game but never  gives examples.

• Mars505Mars505 Member Posts: 623
    Originally posted by sololoco

Don't go by whatever ratings you see posted in here for ANY games.  These figures are upgraded unfairly for the most part by fanbois as well as low-leveled by those who dislike the games.
    Unfortunately, you need to either play the game to see for yourself or use good judgement in what you see written.
    I agree 100%

You see how ridiculous my threads are ? , they are stupid, just like the ridiculous threads in the LotRO, the only difference , my threads have a light of truth as for the lotro threads are strictly speculations and biased opinions.

I was the hugest fan of the vision, but it was not there when I tested Vanguard, huge difference from what the lame people are saying about LotrO.

who me ?

• ynzzzynzzz Member CommonPosts: 43

How sad are you man?

Just cause someone says something bad about LOTR you feel you need to go give some back?

... issues.

• Mars505Mars505 Member Posts: 623

who me ?

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561
    Originally posted by morpin

No news here.
    Yes, absolutely.

Every mmorpg requires travel time, and maintenance time (fixing armor, buying/selling, etc), and other non-quest, non-combat related activities. I felt that I was spending a much higher percentage of my online time doing these types of activities.Exactly. The whole point of making an MMO is to substantiate every intended feature with timesinks. The whole challenge of creating a "fun" MMO is masking the grind as much as possible. All MMOs are a grind, sure, that's intended. Not all MMOs are fun though, that's the difficult part. Grind complaints specific to Vanguard are legitimate.

OK fine.  I happen to feel that the the vanguard quests are not a grind;  they have a plot.  I am currently doing the Old Mother sparrow quests in Southwatch.  There abotut 7 quests in the line.  None of them involve just killing x number of n creatures and then killing x*10 number of the same creatures.  Ther are a few of the kill x number of n creatures quests, but I would have to sya that that only makes up about 30% of the quests, which I think is a rather reasonable percentage.

And lets face it, Mars posts are not constructive.  He makes blanket statements about the game but never  gives examples.

Nope, Mars isn't constructive at all.

As far as your guess about the way quest types pan out...when does "Kill or Collect X and Take Back to Y" become only 30% of the quests in-game? Maybe you're speaking of your own personal experience and how you selectively take quests, avoid missives and such? That's fine for you, but it doesn't create any realistic merits for the game; just your playstyle.

Anyway, you enjoy the game and that's fine. You don't have to explain why, or dispute why other people don't; simply understand why other people say they don't and try to reason why the "second most expensive MMO ever" has maybe 1% of the population of the most expensive MMO in the market. Obviously Vanguard is not fun to most even though it might be the best thing ever to you. So no reason to argue against the existence of "grind" simply because you may not feel it. "Grind" isn't inconsequential, eliminating it is the whole balance act of designing an MMO, and only in it's absence can fun be had.
  • skurk81skurk81 Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by morpin

No news here.
    Yes, absolutely.

The plot usually is about ice skating, horrible performance and shitty graphics. I can't really understand how something that looks so bad can run so slow even on a high end PC.
This discussion has been closed.