Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II: European Server Merger

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

SOE has announced that EverQuest II characters on the European PvP servers Darathar, Gorenaire, and Talendor will be merged with the population of Venekor. They have released a detailed FAQ to answer questions related to the merger.

On April 30th, characters on the European PvP servers Darathar, Gorenaire, and Talendor will be merged with the population of Venekor. This merger will complete plans to give our friends in Europe a better PvP experience. For a week following this merger, all characters on all servers (except Japan and Russia) will be eligible for a free character transfer to a new server.

With the EU PvP server merge and week of free character transfers coming at the end of the month there will be a lot of excitement at the possibilities. Not only do our friends in Europe who love PvP play in EQII get a new home and new challenges, but all players have the chance to relocate their characters to a new home and make new friends!

Such changes and options will create a number of related questions, so we have put together this list of things to know, and accompanying FAQ in the effort of answering as many of them up front as we can.

Get all the details here.

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Good move SoE, glad to see you guys taking proactive positive action to improve the play experience the game on the particukar servers that are suffering.

The free account transfer is also of particular interest to me as well... awesome job, thx :)

• Gangster-ManGangster-Man Member Posts: 143
    Anyone else surprised that they did this merge BEFORE a swg merge occurs? Id think SOE would be desperate to plug holes in that ship.
  • TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115
    Originally posted by Gangster-Man

Anyone else surprised that they did this merge BEFORE a swg merge occurs? Id think SOE would be desperate to plug holes in that ship.
    Not surprised at all.  1st, it's not like SOE operates as one big dev team, they have separate teams doing separate things.  2nd, SWG server mergers will be incredibly complex based on the fact that the landscape has player houses and cities.  The housing purge will alleviate only part of that problem.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144
    Nothing against EQ2 but this just shows that PvP is not as popular as many people on this sight think.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• WobblebobWobblebob Member Posts: 67
    EQ2 in Europe is not advertised, at all, and is hard to get hold of. The PvP servers suffered hugely as the long standing player base tried it, and then mostly went back to PvE (EQ2 was always a PvE game, and PvP was a fairly recent addition).

Due to this the Euro servers had been virtually dead for the last 5 months, and it has taken this long to get them finally turned off and everyone moved over.

It certainly wasnt due to anything in a completely unconnected game like SWG!

But at least the US servers will get a nice big boost as we welcome our Euro friends :D
  • DanjakDanjak Member Posts: 197
    Originally posted by seabass2003

Nothing against EQ2 but this just shows that PvP is not as popular as many people on this sight think.
    Right, because server merges have NEVER happened on PVE servers. 
  • Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

PvP was an afterthought for EQ2 and was introduced long after the games launch.  EQ2 isn't a PvP centric game like others and EQ2 really isn't very popular overall. 

I thought PvP wasn't as popular like yourself, but had a change of mind after looking at the warcraft server lists.  For the US there are somewhere around 222 servers with around 109 being PvP (I don't recall the exact numbers, but those are real close).  So it would appear PvP is fairly popular in the worlds most popular MMO game.

Take from that what you will
  • fawdfawd Member Posts: 367

To bad this game wasnt developed to be PvP based.  PvP was an add-on.  Noone expected it to be incredibly popular.  Also, the merge is mostly because everyone joined the popular server, the difference in population between servers was unrealistic.  I dont know about you, but if I had the choice between a "heavy" server and a "light" server....  im choosing the heavy one. 

You are right on one thing though.  PvE is still better