Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG 2??

Comments

• andaranandaran Member Posts: 5
    if its a fps game like kotor, i dont think i will buy.
  • delspfdelspf Member Posts: 8
    Like many people said, if the same team that was on the game at release then it would be worth it but if anyone involved from director to q&a from that point after is on...wont be worth it.

SWG WAS a damn good game. The whole idea of it was thought out and such but then there seemed to be so much turnover in the SWG team that it went south...so far south it was north.

Holocron era ( before they were handed out like candy ) was great. They could have worked with that instead of basically redesigning the game within the first year.

Bring back creature handlers!  

• BanthaFodderBanthaFodder Member Posts: 47
    I think the new MMO that BioWare is working on is that neverwinter nights sequal  that was announced a while back, they will be working with Obsidian ironically, considering Obsidian made KOTOR II.
  • ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

Considering NWN2 releases in 13 days and Turbine has the MMOG license from Wizards of the Coast to make MMOGs, what makes you think a NWN sequal is in the works?

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• RoyalkinRoyalkin Member UncommonPosts: 267
    I think the creators of KOTOR would do a good job, but only to a certain extent. The KOTOR games have awesome story lines, but it's a single player game and it was written from a linear perspective. Would that kind of story work in a MMORPG? Another aspect is the combat system, bad for a MMORPG. Even though its not turn based, it is from a certain point of view. Both of these games run off of a D20 style system, only the dice rolls are calculated by formulas written in to the code. Why does combat have to be done like this at all.

Lets examine this. It seems as though in these kinds of games there is always some kind of modifier which forces you to wait a certain amount of time between combat strikes. Why is this necessary? Why can't we have a more realistic system? For instance if you hit someone in the head with a hammer most of the time, they will die. In the real world people don't have hit points, and if they get injured in certain ways, they die. It's that simple. I think that games should mirror human interaction in their environment as realisticly as possible.

For example, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy utilizes a realistic combat system. If you hit an enemy in a critical area with a blaster bolt, or especially a lightsaber, then they die, but even at the very least they should be incapacitated in some severe way. For example, if a person gets hit in the head very hard, but doesn't die, there are several things that might happen. 1: They might sustain brain damage and end up as a vegetable, or 2: They might suffer a concussion, and be unable to focus or have an understanding of their surroundings. Or 3: They might end up with an amnesiatic condition. These all present interesting potential for games, but all are better than "I hit you, now I have to wait 2.4 seconds before I can hit you again."

I think CCP should get a crack at the next SW MMO, especailly since they announced the development of a 3D character aspect to Eve, which looks bloody awesome! Eve stands alone as the best game out there right now I think. (Some may dispute this with WOW though., but I personally think it's a game for kiddies.)

For more information on the Eve 3D Character engine, here is the link. myeve.eve-online.com/devblog.asp
  • infrared1infrared1 Member UncommonPosts: 440
    VETERANS UNITE.  WE HAVE A CHANCE TO LET LUCASARTS KNOW WHAT VERSION OF S.W.G. WE LIKED TO BEST.

THEY WANNA KNOW SO LETS TELL THEM.  FOLLOW THE LINK.  RIGHT SIDE OF THE PAGE TAKE THE POLL.

WWW.LUCASARTS.COM

THE POLL WILL BE OPEN FROM 1/30/07 - 2/06/07

SPREAD THE WORD ON ALL VET FORUMS. WHEN THE POLL IS OVER, COME BACK AND LET EVERYONE KNOW THE RESULTS.

VETERANS UNTIE AND TELL L.A. EXACTLY HOW WE FEEL ABOUT S.O.E.
  • KemenlithKemenlith Member Posts: 263
    Bioware is going to make a Star Wars game based on the Knights of the Old Republic time period using the Hero Engine designed by Simutronics for their game Hero's Journey. Google Hero Engine. I think you'll be pleased with what it can do.

Currently: Playing EVE Online
    Previous: FFXI, Dragonrealms, sad little stint in WOWland.
    Awaiting: Fallen Earth, Hero''s Journey, Tabula Rasa, Age of Conan.

• Homeslice513Homeslice513 Member UncommonPosts: 180

Originally posted by Kemenlith
    Bioware is going to make a Star Wars game based on the Knights of the Old Republic time period using the Hero Engine designed by Simutronics for their game Hero's Journey. Google Hero Engine. I think you'll be pleased with what it can do.

Actually they are making a fantasy MMO although I wish it were true that they were doing a SW one.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3155486

• KemenlithKemenlith Member Posts: 263
    Originally posted by Homeslice513

Actually they are making a fantasy MMO although I wish it were true that they were doing a SW one.

O rly? Darn I thought for sure Bioware was going to use the engine for a KOTORO..... Well, thats wishful thinking for ya.

Currently: Playing EVE Online
    Previous: FFXI, Dragonrealms, sad little stint in WOWland.
    Awaiting: Fallen Earth, Hero''s Journey, Tabula Rasa, Age of Conan.

You sound very confident. Do you have a link to anything that would make us believers. Although Bioware is using the hero engine, they have not said what for. Bioware has also hinted that they were going to stick with what works. Fantasy MMO cuz thats the most popular. They still have not announced any real direction of what they are actually going to make. I do agree that a KotOR  era Star Wars MMORPG would be pretty insane.

It seems that you are hearing rumors and taking it as gospel. Big mistake. I've read them too.
  • wesker1275wesker1275 Member Posts: 65
    where does it say their are not making  swg 2 and i know that bioware is making a star wars knights of the old republic online and why soe has lost a lot of money with the nge and lucasarts and bioware would make a lot of money if they made a star wars knights of the old republic online. so please unit bioware says that they are not  making a star wars knights of the old republic online ok.
    Originally posted by wesker1275

where does it say their are not making  swg 2 and i know that bioware is making a star wars knights of the old republic online and why soe has lost a lot of money with the nge and lucasarts and bioware would make a lot of money if they made a star wars knights of the old republic online. so please unit bioware says that they are not  making a star wars knights of the old republic online ok.
    This doesn't say exactly. I can't remember where i saw the article on sticking with what works. (fantasy MMO) But you can read this if you haven't seen it yet. http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3155486
  • ammieammie Member UncommonPosts: 109
  • mbbladembblade Member Posts: 747

yea so how long do you thing SWG2 would last without them screwing it up this time heh?

Originally posted by mbblade

yea so how long do you thing SWG2 would last without them screwing it up this time heh?
    I'm sure it would be screwed up out the gate. Kinda like vanguard and SWG. Unfinished games.
  • Jefe_MatonJefe_Maton Member Posts: 5
    A new SWG would rock, I mean I came back and the only thing that makes the game fun is playing with real friends.  If not for that, I wouldn't play.

Sharp-Redeemer Elder BH- SWG on radiant
    JefeMaton -Rappelz Yeti
    Sharp-Redeemer- VANGsoh Disciple on Flamehammer

My rig specs
    NZXT Nemesis Case
    Abit AA8 mobo
    pentium 4 3.0 Ghz
    ATI x700pro vid card
    1gig 240pin ddr2 corsair value select ram
    sound blaster audigy 2 sound card

• wesker1275wesker1275 Member Posts: 65

I Have read that store  and it only tell me that bioware is making an other Star Wars MMORPG why i read in game informer i think and it say that the oods of bioware are 2-1 and bioware would not make an other a fantasy MMO because if they do they would have to go up against world of warcrat and you do not go up against the top dog not with your first mmo.Anf if they make an other Star Wars MMORPG they would make a lot of money.

• zaykodroidzaykodroid Member Posts: 220
                             1 year passed the news that Bioware is goin to do a MMO

for 1,5 year they ve developing the game

and still no news if it will be star wars or not......

i am sick of all this sh...t
  • miatakamiataka Member Posts: 232

"quote"

I'm Col. DrWolfenstein Godsize  of the intrepid server since swg"s inception and loved everything about the game since i started a scout ,CH. I was first pissed about the limitation on the CL cap. I liked running thru town with 2 graul maulers or 3 grand wrixes before they were nerfed and i mastered all the great proff's BH,Commando,Jedi,CM, and i never really thought the good times would end. I took every "upgrade" in stride and kept playing. but the NGE really blew me away! over night my jedi that i spent months grooming was suddenly replaced with a jedi that was just like everyone elses. and the combat was retarded. the attack que was gone, and the attacks were rediculous to execute. I have been in constant state of mouring over the loss of my jedi and friends of the intrepid server for over 8 months now if anyone see's any facts on a SWG2 like game pleeeeeze lemme know! and about making it harder to attain certain proffs...i could care less, i had masters of every proff i liked and wouldnt care how many were on a server, everybody wants to have a badass and a crafter, and a whatever they like  to do, as soon as you start bitching about what everybody else is doing is how you get what happened to SWG!...So if we ever do get another SWG.... stfu and live with it so they dont change it!!!)))))))))

------------------------

OMG!!!

I remeber you !!!  I was a reclusive Jedi on tatooine Named Borias, a Zabrak that helped many others unlock FS and FS/force grind into great Jedi and sith.... + I was in a huge ent guild on europe chimaera server named <STAR>

till nov 12... when NGE killed all of us... the day SWG died

yeah anyway I agree with you and I really hope , really really really hope that BIOWARE is infact making a KotOR mmorpg. and if I remeber right BIOWARE did infact confirm a few small points.

A) they are making a MMORPG and they are building it at a office in Austin  texas.

B) they did hire a few of the orginal team developers from the ogrianl SWG team (people that left outraged at Combat upgrade 1 stuff I remeber)

All the rest from what I heard/read   was all speculation ..like what genre, that they did get a deal Lucas arts, and that they are making kotor-mmorpg

Miataka (+many sub variation of that)
    ~WoW (Kael'Thas, USA)
    MiaTaka
    ~ RF On-line (Fire Server)
    -Mia- takahashi
    ~SWG (Europe-chimaera)
    Miataki Valeinca
    ~EQ 2 (everfrost)
    MiaTaka Soyinka
    ~Second Life

• EldorinEldorin Member Posts: 4

Ehm,forgive me but ill disagre about the huge thing about <Star>..Most "strong" guilds in Chimaera was Kds for imperial and Tsa for rebels (omg im flaming about Chimaera Guilds after 3 years)..Btw im a bit tired reading Posts about how much Devs screw this awesome game,yea ok Devs did the most part,but the Community (a bit of an irony when you think that swg community was 10 times more friendly and mature in game from todays WoW) had its part too..I can make a book with all those whining posts before Combat revamp - Combat upgrade ( Combat Bullshits,name it whatever you like )..Whining about why imperials have 3 AT-ST out,and rebels dont have something equal (Boom nerfed At-St),whining about Holos that was so hard to find (Boom gifted one holo for each account on each server.),whining about Jedi slots and the path to become one ( -um..why i have to kill 100000 mobs to Master X prof. and unlock?I mean i wanna be a light jedi.. -why i have to create 100000 cakes (Cheff) to become dark jedi?) (Boom a Force sensitive Village pop up,with 1k force sensitive guys running like crazy on each server),whining about Pikes looted from NS and there Dots,whining about Combat medics "3 clicks drop-dead poisons",whining about Creature Handlers "3 Rankor-bodyguards" (Boom nerfed loots,Boom nerfed poisons capabilitys,Boom nerfed one of the most fun profs..),whining about a 6+ months greeding prof like jedi about being too uber from a f*cking mass of players,that the only thing they did was a month or less greeding for every other elite prof..(Boom Nerfed Force run 3,Boom Nerfed lightsabers deflect proc,Boom even a stupid Master Brawler could stun me for 10 sec with Warcry)...

Bla bla bla,enough?

I could keep going for days posting about this Huge wave of whining that SoE Devs had over there heads every day from 20+ years old casuals "wannabe-jedi" or "wannabe-jedikiller just cuz my girlfriend didnt suck my D*ck today" loosers with minds of a 10 years old kid (i ask to be forgiven  for my comment from all those 10 years old kids out there,i bet some are a bit more smart than that..)

Yes the Devs realy screw up probably one of the greatest mmo,but just before you post again about our great memories in SwG ( ill never forget the first time i heard my lightsaber after greeding 31 profs.) and start flaming SoE,remember that we had our part too..

Ps: I dont know if a SwG2 will ever be online...Truly?I dont think so (tho i hope so),for now ill just wait "Force Unleased" to listen lightsaber slashes,and think of good old days..

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/starwars2007/video_player.html?id=KnIwlmat5bkIsjDX

May The Force be With You All..

Dark Jedi Knight

KDS - Eldorin

For I Have Found True Life,
    In The Death Of Light..

• GzSx93GzSx93 Member Posts: 43
    i 2 have heard of this rumor i dont think it will happen but if it does that would be awsome!

Games played:

WOW: 70 mage,60 mage, 61 shammy, 65 warrior

COX: lvl 35 scrapper lvl 20 MM

Guildwars: 20 w/m

LOTRO BETA: lvl 32 Dwarf guardian/ 15 hunter

Currently playing: Battlefield 2142

Waiting on WAR/AOC

LAWZIOWN3dYAINTEHFAACE

• EichenkatzeEichenkatze Member Posts: 340
    I've heard the rumor time and time again from mutiple realms of the online world.

From gaming magazines, to Television, and of course.. online forums.

What we do know:

Bioware was put into power to create an MMO in Texas. They have developers from the SWG team and are using similar software as SWG has.

What we can take from this:

1) Bioware - Responsible for KOTOR

2) Producing an MMO - This could mean anything, as Bioware has had their hand in a number of games and any company who has looked fondly on their work could hire them for the job

3) Ex-SWG developers - This, is debatable. Developers go anywhere after they're laid off from a company. Good developers are in demand and SWG had hit big back in its prime. its not suprising they were picked up for an MMO job with a reputable company. However they do have SWG under their belt and Bioware was responsible for KOTOR.

4) Similar software - This again could mean anything. The Unreal engine was made for numerous games like and different to Unreal Tournament. Just because they're using a similar brand means nothing. Besides, with a new game you'd think they'd use more up-to-date software than SWG older stuff.

I think its unlikely that Bioware is producing a Star Wars MMO at this time. Eventhough rumors and hints are abounding like mad around the virtual world that they are.

They very well could be and i would love to see them produce one.. but i think are hopes are getting the better of us in this one.

We're seeing what we want to see and not the reality of it. Alot of people are hoping a new Star Wars MMO will come out and replace the hole SWG left way back when, and Bioware did create the awesome first KOTOR. Putting two and two together just makes your SWG-veteran and SW-junkie's mouth drool.

If they are producing a SW MMO? I hope its republic era.

They did KOTOR and did an awesome Job. Post-NGE SWG became like the republic era of the Star Wars Universe.

Sith and jedi run EVERYWHERE and there is nothing to stop them. They have the republic ship on Mustafar, and the clone armor (though the clone armor is from an entirely different lore era).

I would love to see Tatooine as an outpost planet.. the Jedi Enclave fully functional, and the sith in full force.

This way the development company doesn't have to worry about the Jedi population so much. Jedi back then were fairly common... however were being hunted by the Sith and vice versa. There were also normal people in the world.. those without force powers so the developers don't have to give everyone jedi or leave it open. At least make it a challenge to get to jedi.

A number of jedi is alright... but an abundance is just too much.

Hopefully if there is one, there will be alot more worlds. SWG had a good ammount of worlds and places to explore.. but thats hardly the Star Wars universe. Take from Empire at war.. with the expansion Lucas Arts dropped in 55 planets. FIFTY-FIVE!  Theres plenty to go around.

Space - Waiting for it in SWG was hard enough and in my mind it was one of the best expansions ever released for a game. Great idea and great content.

Similar SWG profession style. I want an abundance.. not just 9. Nine is too little.. 32+ is perfect.

RPG setting - Its Star Wars... gotta have it.

Everquest - 2000 - '02
    Anarchy Online - '01-'02
    Earth and Beyond - '02-'04
    Star Wars Galaxies - '03-'06('07)
    World of Warcraft - '04-'07
    Age of Conan - '08 - shelved.
    -Waiting on-
    Star Trek Online
    SW: The Old Republic

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005
    Originally posted by Homeslice513

Unless my reading comprehension has completely left me, I see no mention of BioWare making a Fantasy MMO in that article.  They talk about Fantasy MMOs such as WoW, but there is no statement of design intention whatsoever.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• Nightshade44Nightshade44 Member Posts: 58
    I'll probably never play another SOE game at all... Seeing how they completely destroyed SWG piece by piece, slowly, and painfully... I have lost all respect for their decision-making capabilities and their community relations, not to mention their development process. I'm hoping the MMO BioWare is working on is indeed a Star Wars: KOTOR MMO, but that's yet to be determined, and quite frankly, after SWG's failure... I'd really be surprised if it was a KOTOR MMO at this point... Seems like everyone and their mother is making a WoW clone these days.

Anticipating: Aion - Tower of Eternity
    Veteran: Star Wars Galaxies
    Veteran: The Matrix Online

• redriverredriver Member Posts: 124

Sony used to be reputable before SWG.. in other words it can happen to anybody under certain circumstances we may not all know 'bout.. whatever made SWG devs go CU/NGE(aka Now Game Ends)  route is a moot point now...

I just wish they opened up a pre-CU server or 2 and just concentrated on addin' content, bug fixes and minor balancin'.. nothin' too drastic like CU/NGE.. probly will never happen though :/

This discussion has been closed.