Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So many games in MMO, why EvE?

Hi-FiveHi-Five Member Posts: 48

How do you do a fair eval on a game that is not intended for MMO players? 

The EvE's PvPers will tell you it is a PvP game.  Got it... you won, no argument to that... so If you want to do MMO, don't bother to waste your time.  Go read their forum.  It is all about PvP.  This is so one sided that if you if you want to do anything else other than PvP, forget it.  The only reason that this game have a rating of 8.2, becuase EvE advertises in mmorpg.com.  I use to be a fan of this site, but now it has no creditability with our clans. Horrible game.

I am sure someone will tell you that you can do other things like mining and manufacturing, that is just simply wrong.  It doesn't matter what you do, someone will  start a fight  or war'dec (non consent war declaration-it's FFA) your small mining corps.  You only have two choices, die or quit EvE Online.   a band of happy noobs will not defeat anyone that is over 2 years old. The game is too late for noob players.

Go read their forum, two things players talk about "war'dec" and "pvp."   Imagine playing your favorite MMO, but you don't have to get consent kill people. No permission what so ever.  Trust me, sooner or later you will be war'dec... by a 2 years old players.

Oh yea, your only safe zone is an NPC corp, so like I said in the title, if you want to do MMO --why bother?

Unless they change war'dec process or a system to protect noobs corp. I do not recommend this game to anyone.  Shame on you mmorpg.com for wrongfully rating this game 8.2.  shame, shame on you.

Comments

• RehmesRehmes Member Posts: 600

Its actually a very simply answer (at least for me). In every game i play i want to know why am i wasting my time grinding away. Why is it important to have the best armor and weapon? All of those things need to have a higher purpose. If the purpose is looking pretty and having bragging rights cuz i have mroe time than other players to get it faster then thats not the game for me. If the goal is to pvp yet have no impact on the world itself then again, thats not the game for me. In EvE there are no armors and swords but there is a goal to buy the best modules for ships and make a lot isk to replace your ship. But i know that my actions make a difference. No matter how small a corp is it stands a chance to make a difference.

It is an MMO (not sure what your trying to say tbh) in all ist regards, the does kinda force you to team up to get major things done but thats just the nature of the game. It wasnt meant for everyone. Its not partying up in the traditional sense of "LFG PST!!!!" but its more corp oriented. its a warfare game at heart so people are wary of random invites. There are consequenses to making a mistake, some people like that some dont. But the fact that its only one server means that the notorious will be known and the good manufacturer will have steady customers.

Its nto a game for eveyone like i said, but i certainly get all i want from this game and thens some.

EDIT: As for the wardec system.....most if not all noob corps stay in empire, wardecing a noob corp makes you no isk and thus most people that do wardec them barely go out of their way to do much. When i 1st started the game we got wardeced 2 times. I lost 2 frigs but each time i did the other corp lost a BS in the proces because we were in empire. As a noob you may feel like youll never make it but its simply not a profitable war for anyone. And ull find out that a lot of times those vets barely bother you cuz they rather make isk than lose it.

• flakesflakes Member Posts: 575

The reason why most on the eve forum is about war is because it simply is a bigger story if you talk about the dread/carrier/mothership or 30 battleships you killed against an enemy , and tell the tale of the battle , then it is to tell about how many minerals you mined the day before.

I agree that pvp has a BIG part in eve.If you want the best agents or mine the best ore you better be ready to fight over it because it is in the toughest pvp places in eve.But i am one of those persons you mentioned that will say that you can do more then pvp.I had friends in eve who after 2 or 3 years of playing never really did any pvp.Yes they where in the higher secure systems and if their corp got a war on their hands they did not engage the enemy.What they did do was use 2nd characters as a resort when they had a wardeck.Characters only trained up to mine and do nothing more.They also did have extra barges etc in other regions that had a dead end.So when they got a war they all scattered out over different regions in groups of max 5 to systems in wich they could mine and have a nice overview of who was coming there.Now i agree that it is not the easiest option for a carebear , but a war is something you can survive without little to none losses without staying docked all day.And as a last resort since they did manufacturing and investments in "pojects" and the market , they did have quite a nice amount of cash and used some to hire mercs on whoever they had troubles with.

But again i do agree that pvp is a verry big part of eve.

Small edit btw : Someone who states he was a big fan of this site yet only has 4 total posts  , all recent , that are only about how eve sucks tells me something.My geuss is either you did not do good intel on eve before you started the game or you had some bad encounters.But it looks like you got a whoopass in eve and now try to make the game look more negative then should be.And no i am not a fanboy....sigh....i played it for a year or 2 till bout last summer.

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

MASSIVELY

Consists of star systems of relative size to the real thing. Also has over 5000 star systems.

MULTIPLAYER

Has over 168,000 subscribers with around 30,000 people playing at once on the same server.

This game is online.

ROLE PLAY GAME

You can roleplay one of 4 races [currently] who can then roleplay in a degree of classless jobs such as being a pirate or a Trader.

I think ive made my point EvE is a MMORPG without a doubt and the OP's post is pretty invalid now.

Also reading the official EvE forums i can find plenty of topics that dont invvolve PvP in the trading forums for example so that part of your OP is invalid too. You will find tho that most traders and industrialists will keep there trading secrets very close [like me]. And just so you know ive made over 2 billion in the past month trading and ive yet to be 'Forced' into PvP.

You just need to know how to use the map to avoid PvP. Of course you probably quite eve very quickly when you found it wasant like WoW or everquest 2.

• Stumpy26Stumpy26 Member Posts: 189

<Mod edit>
    First yes EVE is mainly PVP BUT not just shooty shooty PVP you also compete with other players when selling/building/buying (player based economy) which means 90% of the stuff you buy and sell is made or baught by players.
    2nd: I quote "a band of happy noobs will not defeat anyone that is over 2 years old. The game is too late for noob players. " what a load of bullshit !!! EVE is the only game I know where you as a 1 week old noob can still hurt a 2 year old player, every other MMORGP I have played older players are basicly invulnrable to week old noobies. So If you gang up on a 2 year player and you fight smart (its not just aproach, orbit, shooty shooty , fight over) Winning fights depends on 2 things:
    1. Your Skillpoints and where you have them.
    2. How you use them: This is actualy more important than the SP itself, you need to know how to use your ship what each ship does.
    "non consent war declaration-it's FFA" pvp in EVE is consentual you consent to it when you log in.
    "Imagine playing your favorite MMO, but you don't have to get consent kill people. No permission what so ever." -> LOL you poor thing makes me glad I dont play MMORPG's where the players get spoonfed and get everything in easy mode.
    Sounds to me like you played eve for a week or 3 and gave up, so tbh you didnt experience it propley.

• iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884

Isn't the rating based on people's votes, who are registered to MMORPG.com? You should be saying shame on us, not MMORPG.com, since we're the ones who like, and have given EVE a high vote.

I'm sorry you were killed in a game.

-iCeh

• FugnudzFugnudz Member Posts: 480

A reason EVE is so successful is that game play is not linear, hold-your-hand type stuff.  No guided amusement park tours here.  Eve is a dangerous, mysterious environment.  So there is excitement (you can die and it hurts) and wonder (you don't always know what's out there).

Other MMORPG designers could learn from this.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by Hi-Five

The EvE's PvPers will tell you it is a PvP game.  Got it... you won, no argument to that... so If you want to do MMO, don't bother to waste your time.  Go read their forum.  It is all about PvP.  This is so one sided that if you if you want to do anything else other than PvP, forget it.  The only reason that this game have a rating of 8.2, becuase EvE advertises in mmorpg.com.  I use to be a fan of this site, but now it has no creditability with our clans. Horrible game.
    I am sure someone will tell you that you can do other things like mining and manufacturing, that is just simply wrong.  It doesn't matter what you do, someone will  start a fight  or war'dec (non consent war declaration-it's FFA) your small mining corps.  You only have two choices, die or quit EvE Online.   a band of happy noobs will not defeat anyone that is over 2 years old. The game is too late for noob players.
    Go read their forum, two things players talk about "war'dec" and "pvp."   Imagine playing your favorite MMO, but you don't have to get consent kill people. No permission what so ever.  Trust me, sooner or later you will be war'dec... by a 2 years old players.
    Oh yea, your only safe zone is an NPC corp, so like I said in the title, if you want to do MMO --why bother?
    Unless they change war'dec process or a system to protect noobs corp. I do not recommend this game to anyone.  Shame on you mmorpg.com for wrongfully rating this game 8.2.  shame, shame on you.

um, except that goonswarm exists.  which disproves your ENTIRE argument based upon *a band of happy noobs will not defeat anyone that is over 2 years old. The game is too late for noob players.*

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• MoobkradMoobkrad Member Posts: 308
    Originally posted by Hi-Five

I don't agree. EVE was designed to be a Hardcore game for PvPers; However, and that's a big however, you can avoid PvP. It all depends in your type of play. If you are going to be antagonizing people and picking on them, expect the wardec or the PvP when they finally get pissed off. But if you are a tranquil person, that will have a low probability.

You can join one of the bigger or medium corps, not every corp has tight requirements. It would be more difficult to wardec a corp that is already under an alliance. A lot more guns to fight against.
  • SoulfreeWSoulfreeW Member Posts: 34

ofc i can kill older players than me? the only people that say its impossibel to beat older players are playres that want to be the best of the best in what ever game they play. and first thing prople think of when they see eve is "i want too rule the hole eve universe".. thats fine plss go for it if you got the balls cuz beeing a leader in eve is så insane hardcore. alliance leader require so much that i really dont think new players actually want to do this, if they knew the work that it will give em. so beeing the best of the best of the best in eve universe is not a good place to start. try beeing the best of the best in your corp instead what ever you are miner or pvp'er or what ever... it IS possibel to beat the crap out of a older player it isent even hard. but to KILL em all and rule the hole eve universe to be the best of the best within 6 months. NO  thats not possibel and if you knew the work the leaders have to  do, you proply dont even want to be the greatest leader of all time....  in world of warcraft the max pr server is around 12k split into 2 teams ( that would be around 20 k subs pr server)  this will give you about 10k players that you want to beat the crap out of... in eve you got more than 100k subs on 1 server. that gives you 100k players that you nedd to beat the crap out of in order to be the best of the best. good luck. and if you really really want to be a leader try to go for 1 system instead of 1 eve universe.