Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could the Bioware rumor be close to real?

2»

Comments

• haxxjoohaxxjoo Member Posts: 924

I am necroing my rumor post I put together on the who's and whats and whens of the bioware mmo just to see how it stacks up today.

http://mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/94859

Posted 9/16

The first game to contain the euphoria technology from NaturalMotion and the Pixelux Entertainment’s Digital Molecular Matter (DMM) technology is Indiana Jones. 

Meanwhile in Austin Bioware recently picked up the Hero's Engine for its yet unnamed mmo in development adn shaved 2 years off its development time.

In a statement, Simutronics founder and CEO David Whatley said, "As game developers ourselves, we put careful thought into the features other MMO developers needed. To have an industry leader like BioWare as our first licensee is an honor and strong validation of our team's hard work and great design."

Simutronics claims that the HeroEngine can shave off 1-2 years of development time, a quality that is appealing to any developer, especially when working on large-scale MMORPGs.

BioWare announced the addition of the Austin studio in March. The upcoming HeroEngine-based title will be a collaboration between the original Edmonton, Alberta, Canada studio and the Texas studio

The boss at NaturalMotion had the following to say about integration of his

FiringSquad: How hard is it to use the tools and how hard is it to integrate into a graphics engine?

Torsten Reil: The basic integration is straightforward. The adaptive behaviours are, however, quite advanced, so we work very closely with our partners (often on-site) to get high-quality results very quickly. The partners we're working with, like LucasArts, are very committed to pushing the game experience for the player and create something truly next-gen, so it's a lot of fun.

What about the title being instantly recoqnized? I wonder what that could be?

FiringSquad: Besides the Indiana Jones game what other upcoming titles will use euphoria for their game animations?

Torsten Reil: We haven't announced them yet, but you'll recognise the names instantly!

Now then we have seen LA under Haden Blackman who worked with Ralph Koster at SOE in articles talk about the upcoming titles with the  euphoria technolog built in.  He used Jedi as his test subject.  They(bioware) have the latest MMO engine that according to its own developer is superior to the unreal engine for non-fps games and we have what sure seems like a pretty clear example of a KotoR mmo in development using the Hero's Engine integrating euphoria technology to form the next generation simulation.  (my old prediction from media clips)

My theory for upcoming news relating to swg, bioware, and the rumor mill.   That cover all your fun? All those quotes are available for linkage on request.

• Ransom73Ransom73 Member Posts: 227

The Euphoria engine and DMM are being used in the Force Unleashed game.

It was also announced on the official forums that Blackman was moved over to the Force Unleased as well.

Rumor ixnayed.

Try again.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

here's what I think they should do...

put a new Star Wars MMO in the post Return of the Jedi era.

New Republic has formed, Empire still exists but obviously lost a lot of strength, many systems rebelled after death of the Emperor and joined the New Republic, but the Empire is far from dead. Luke Skywalker has begun searching the galaxy for force-sensitive individuals, those who hid their talents during the dark reign of the Emperor and Darth Vader.

I remember from the extended universe stuff that the Emperor's personal body guards, the red clad guys with the big pikes were Force Sensitive, so have the surviving guards work to form their own Academy to train Force Sensitive people they find in the Dark Side as the Emperor and Vader trained them... Or just go with the Timothy Zahn approach and introduce a new Dark Jedi master.

This would be the perfect time to set the game in for tons of reasons. The Empire, having lost so many personel to defection/combat loosens their strict anti-alien policies, they begin outfitting their fighters with deflector shields and training their pilots better. The whole galaxy would be up for grabs for PVP as everyone is battling to either free themselves from the Empire and join the New Republic or stay with the Empire to maintain order in a chaotic galaxy. You have to remember from the movies that the Rebellion was still extremely small, very few if any worlds were in open rebellion due to the massive reach and iron grip of the Empire. Now, with the Emperor and Vader dead, their grip begins to loosen and planets openly join the New Republic, but the Empire is far from defeated.

The fledgling New Republic is still weak and the Empire, while fractured from such a devestating loss, still threatens the galaxy. The possibilities for territory control through PVP are endless. Or through questing/missons influence the way a city or planet will go in this next chapter of the Galactic Civil War. Or many planets rebel against the Empire but aren't yet willing to commit to the fledgling New Republic, setting up all kinds of awsome story lines and political intrigue. The players actions for or against these independants will sway whether they join the New Republic or the Empire.

Or players can help through questing to rebuild what the war has destroyed, repair the damage the Empire did or help the Empire maintain order amidst the rising chaos.

This would be the "best" time period to base a Star Wars MMO in because of all the posibilities, and yet still be able to include all the major characters and places. The post Endor Star Wars fiction isn't at all set in stone, not by Lucas or anyone, they could choose to borrow / adapt ideas / events / characters from these books, which Lucas owns IP rights too of course, or go down a completely new path.

I think it'd be sweet. Much more so then the KOTOR timeline.

• ManmadegodManmadegod Member Posts: 501
    AFAIK

Bioware stated that they would never work with LA again. Unless that has changed, the rumor cannot be true.
  • KoolaiderKoolaider Member Posts: 450
    I think if that were the case, then they would have denied these rumors right away.
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Bioware is a very good company. They always have awesome graphics and game play but I would like to see them make something new rather than rehashing something that is going down hill.
  • ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529
    What wouldn't be new about a KOTOR mmo?

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• DvolDvol Member Posts: 273
    Why would it matter if bioware made it or not..We know a new Star Wars MMO will more and likely be announced.Soon someone will announce something official and we can either cheer or jeer...
  • ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550
    Originally posted by Dvol

Why would it matter if bioware made it or not..We know a new Star Wars MMO will more and likely be announced.Soon someone will announce something official and we can either cheer or jeer...
    If Bioware made it, it would mean that SOE did not.  That would already be a major plus in the game's favor.

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550
    Originally posted by Koolaider

I think if that were the case, then they would have denied these rumors right away.
    They are enjoying the attention their unannounced MMO is receiving because they haven't denied any of the rumors surrounding it.  I think the eventual disappointment and backlash when they announce the MMO is going to surprise Bioware.

• kordrialkordrial Member Posts: 160
    I wanna believe it, but why didn't BioWare make KOTORII? why would LA break off from BioWare for the 2nd game in the series, but not the MMO that surrounds that universe?

+ I believe it has been stated (I'm not up to finding the article) by LA that this is not true.

That's funny though, because Bioware actually does not deny or confirm it, perhaps they're trying to ride a possible rumor to enhance their popularity? or maybe there actually is one, and LA/Bioware slipped on their PR co-ordination....

either way, it's a fun thought :)
  • BigpigBigpig Member Posts: 128
    Originally posted by kordrial

I wanna believe it, but why didn't BioWare make KOTORII? why would LA break off from BioWare for the 2nd game in the series, but not the MMO that surrounds that universe?

+ I believe it has been stated (I'm not up to finding the article) by LA that this is not true.

That's funny though, because Bioware actually does not deny or confirm it, perhaps they're trying to ride a possible rumor to enhance their popularity? or maybe there actually is one, and LA/Bioware slipped on their PR co-ordination....

Bioware did not have the time to make NWN2 or KOTOR2 as they working hard on other games(Jade emipre/Masseffect) and recomended Obsidian to make the two games as they have worked with them in the pass. Now Obsidian do have plans on making KOTOR3 if LA let them. They also use biowares game engines so work very closly with bioware making games

Bioware don't need pr stunts to ramp their popularity. Their success at banging out top notch high quality games is more than enough

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    I'm not one for conspiracy theories but it does seem really odd that Bioware would announce they are making a MMO but then not say one word about it.  It's been over a year since they announced the MMO.  SW MMO or not, something fishy is going on at Bioware.  To be honest, I forgot they were even making a MMO until I saw this post.  I'm signed up for the Bioware newsletter too and I cant remember the last time I got one.
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • BigpigBigpig Member Posts: 128
    Originally posted by achesoma

I'm not one for conspiracy theories but it does seem really odd that Bioware would announce they are making a MMO but then not say one word about it.  It's been over a year since they announced the MMO.  SW MMO or not, something fishy is going on at Bioware.  To be honest, I forgot they were even making a MMO until I saw this post.  I'm signed up for the Bioware newsletter too and I cant remember the last time I got one.

Bioware all hands on deck geting Masseffect out. expect to see a lot of action after it.

As for working on an mmo for a while and not 1 bit of info about it. Well that has to point at a major IP and Licence issues. Why else keep it a top sercert

• benasatobenasato Member UncommonPosts: 193
    they gotta have something to drop for when the new show comes.
  • Realm-ReaperRealm-Reaper Member Posts: 501

KOTOR 3 is coming...It is in a previous thread.

But it is set for the next gen console (XBOX PS3 Wii)

• andyjdandyjd Member Posts: 229

Originally posted by Obee

Originally posted by Koolaider

They are enjoying the attention their unannounced MMO is receiving because they haven't denied any of the rumors surrounding it.  I think the eventual disappointment and backlash when they announce the MMO is going to surprise Bioware.

All depends what it is. If its a generic fantasy MMORPG, then probably people would be dissappointed. (Neverwinter Nights Online would be popular however).  If its a sci-fi MMORPG, or something more original, then that would get people excited.

• AefooAefoo Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by Bigpig

Originally posted by kordrial

Bioware did not have the time to make NWN2 or KOTOR2 as they working hard on other games(Jade emipre/Masseffect) and recomended Obsidian to make the two games as they have worked with them in the pass. Now Obsidian do have plans on making KOTOR3 if LA let them. They also use biowares game engines so work very closly with bioware making games

Bioware don't need pr stunts to ramp their popularity. Their success at banging out top notch high quality games is more than enough

I thought that is why they made the Austin studio, so the austin studio could work on the MMO seperate from their other studios, in canada and Australlia.  

Also I HIGHLY doubt that it will be a fantasy baised game just check out the Fantasy bashing they have been doing at Bioware.

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/880

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/868

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/1154

After reading those you pretty much get the hint that it WILL NOT be anything close to fantasy...at least thats what I picked up.
  • Ransom73Ransom73 Member Posts: 227

I wouldn't take that as gosphel it won't be fantasy. I'd take it as they are trying to do a different spin on the fantasy thing than the standard EQ/EQ2/WoW clone.

Fantasy does not necessarily equal WoW.

Fantasy diku level grind, however, is WoW.

Having said that, I fully expect Bioware to come out with a fantasy based MMO, as fantasy is a 'safe' genre. I'll gladly eat my shorts if it isn't fantasy, and feel free to remind me of this post later on.