Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who Wouldn't Come Back If There were Classic Servers?

Comments

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Honestly what would be the point?  The original SWG game had massive potential in its design, it was only fun because of the players, not the half finished game mechanics.  Given another year of development and it would have been the game that redefined the MMO industry on what to do, but the landscape is littered with games that had potential and failed. 

Even if sony were to bring back the old game they wouldn't be able to manage it .  SWG has been a series of unfortunate events from day 1.  What would lead anyone to believe anything would be different?
  • dirtyd77dirtyd77 Member UncommonPosts: 383
    Originally posted by Ransom73

Wow.
    Just....
    Wow.
    If THAT (/look's at above post) is the 'community' for the preCU ftw!!11!!!eleventyone!!!1 folks, I'll keep looking elsewhere....
    Agreed!!!   There was alot of intellectual maturity in that post. I bet he's fun to run with in a group.

Why did you edit your post that we were talking about and delete what you wrote? 

I was'nt judging you just the foul language and name calling that you so quickly deleted to make yourself look like the victim.

Have some balls man. You wrote it leave it up there.

Yes I would go back. Wait I never left anyway. But I would have to say I would go back to pre-cu.

Now I was not talking about your comments to or about SOE and you know that, thats why you deleted it. I was talking about the F bombs you were dropping on posters with other choice words. Anyway your right it's over.

I apologize if I was trolling. Not meaning to but you know what you wrote.

I just want to play a SCI-FI mmo  and until anything comes out that I deam is better than SWG I will stay there. The community is a huge part of it so it would depend on where the #'s where at. I would love classic servers, I will take what I can get right now today as well. Like when I go into a bar and they are out of my favorite beer  I suck it up and take what I can get.

• towanitowani Member Posts: 114
    I'm not sure about the original - without some of the patches. 

Granted I'm not a big fan of what was post - CU, but up to that point I was pretty happy!

LotRO: Meneldor: Riders of the Riddermark

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930

And, I really enjoyed doing taming runs, and raising my new pets.  CH was the greatest class/profession I have ever played.  No other game has gotten it quite right, IMO.  Heck, I used to tame pets, raise them, then give them away to other starting CH's (or if the pet was below CL10, then to any player) for free.

Was removed, but coming back. Appealled to (probably) the smallest number of players (aside from early CH FOTM's when it was allowed a player to be a wrecking crew).  I seriously doubt this.  I remember that, on my server (Valcyn), close to the end of pre-CU, there were a lot of CH's around.  Mind you, this was before CU.  I tried CU, but it was horribly laggy compared to pre-CU (on the same system - yet upgraded).  I believe this was the phrase that Smedley used when justifying getting rid of CH in NGE.

[quote]Yes, pre-CU SWG didn't have any real quests to work with.  You had to make your own content with what was provided.  But, I found that enjoyable, and still is where I experienced my most memorable gaming experiences.  You may not agree, and that's fine.  To each his own.[/b][/quote]

Pretty much everything you said is either in the game or (apparently) coming soon.

So.

Again, where's the content?

What is a player to do?

People THINK they want to start over. But they really don't want to be garden variety n00bs again for many months whilst waiting on good resource spawns. Some servers couldn't have T21's for as many as 6 months because a certain gemstone hadn't spawned. 6-8 months after it launches, the classic game will have the same problems it had before.

The initial push on the preCU servers might be decent (50K players), but would gradually shrink for the same reasons it shrank before:

Lack of content

Broken game mechanics

Perceived profession imbalances

Poison/Disease/Mind Fire Melee stackers

Unhealable mind  I agree with this... this was a problem.  The HAM system was flawed from the beginning.  A simple Health/Stamina system should have been used.

Jedi as an alpha class that is easily obtainable (mostly through AFK, macros, or exploited gameplay (Geo Cave overspawn, Endor overspawn, Warren overspawn).  Jedis should be an alpha clas/profession.  However, Jedis should have never been attainable by the players.  This led to a whole slew of problems, which includes the period of hologrinding. (how I hated that period)

I never claimed that the game was perfect.  It's good that they are upgrading the content to where it was before.  However, nothing will replace the skill-based professions that pre-NGE had.  Also, I know SOE's history with the implementation of NGE, so I will never head back to that game, or any game produced by SOE due to this reason.
  • deathgagedeathgage Member Posts: 28
    correct me if im wrong but wouldnt it be LA's fault with the whole NGE thing and not SOE? isnt SOE just the publisher for galaxies. and if so shouldnt you be mad at LA for killing your dream?
  • mrf088mrf088 Member Posts: 29
    i would have gone back if theyd done that a year ago, games dead now, waiting on the next swg
  • ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550
    Originally posted by deathgage

correct me if im wrong but wouldnt it be LA's fault with the whole NGE thing and not SOE? isnt SOE just the publisher for galaxies. and if so shouldnt you be mad at LA for killing your dream?
    You have it exactly backwards.  LucasArts is the Publisher and SOE is the developer.  The NGE was designed and developed by SOE and LucasArts agreed to let them implement it.  LucasArts didn't direct the changes, SOE came up with them  The head of 'Community Relations' for SOE admitted the NGE was entirely SOE and he was proud they did it.

• ForcanForcan Member UncommonPosts: 700
    *sigh*

Just went into the game (ever since I quit, my friend has been using my account [and he's paying for it of course], and he just reactivated my account today to do stuff.  He lets me log in to help him do stuff, and so I did...)

It's so hard to see a game that I used to play daily turned into what it is now... even if it is getting better from the NGE...

So yeh, if there were Classic servers, I would gladly stop my other MMOs and head directly back to it paying year after year.

BTW, the expertise system... too much like WoW talent tree... 

Current MMO: FFXIV:ARR

Past MMO: Way too many (P2P and F2P)

• kaibigan34kaibigan34 Member Posts: 1,508

Originally posted by Vato26

Ok... lets take a trip down memory lane.
    Krayt or Kimo hunting parties were fun.  Especially sitting at the camps to prepare for such hunts;  talking to your guildmates/party members.  That was enjoyable most of the time.  And, before you say that "camps are in NGE"... that was pre-NGE stuff that was killed when NGE came in (ranger/scout death) that was just rehashed and added back.

In the game.

Being a musician/entertainer and interacting with all the patrons while healing their mind wounds with your show.  That's how I began this game. (a couple of weeks after launch)  It was fun, and I made a lot of initial friends due to my entertainment.  Income was horrible, but it was still fun.  However, that died with the stupid holo-grind... and NGE killed the wounds factor.  I read the entertainment revamp, and I have to agree that the buffs are interesting.

Interaction was never taken away. FORCED interaction was removed/lessened, but interaction has remained.

Heck, to expand on the krayt/kimo hunting parties... general guild hunting parties were fun as well.  Nothing like running around Dathromir and hunt those spider recluses (dang disease) or rancors (especially bulls).  However, I would believe you would classify that as "Whack-a-mole grinding" but I found that to be content.

In the game. Never removed.

And, I really enjoyed doing taming runs, and raising my new pets.  CH was the greatest class/profession I have ever played.  No other game has gotten it quite right, IMO.  Heck, I used to tame pets, raise them, then give them away to other starting CH's (or if the pet was below CL10, then to any player) for free.

Was removed, but coming back. Appealled to (probably) the smallest number of players (aside from early CH FOTM's when it was allowed a player to be a wrecking crew).

[quote]Yes, pre-CU SWG didn't have any real quests to work with.  You had to make your own content with what was provided.  But, I found that enjoyable, and still is where I experienced my most memorable gaming experiences.  You may not agree, and that's fine.  To each his own.[/b][/quote]

Pretty much everything you said is either in the game or (apparently) coming soon.

So.

Again, where's the content?

What is a player to do?

People THINK they want to start over. But they really don't want to be garden variety n00bs again for many months whilst waiting on good resource spawns. Some servers couldn't have T21's for as many as 6 months because a certain gemstone hadn't spawned. 6-8 months after it launches, the classic game will have the same problems it had before.

The initial push on the preCU servers might be decent (50K players), but would gradually shrink for the same reasons it shrank before:

Lack of content

Broken game mechanics

Perceived profession imbalances

Poison/Disease/Mind Fire Melee stackers

Unhealable mind

Jedi as an alpha class that is easily obtainable (mostly through AFK, macros, or exploited gameplay (Geo Cave overspawn, Endor overspawn, Warren overspawn).

Wrong!

So I can still hunt krayts with large groups of players? Oh wait there is no need to since everyone can solo krayts. Hence not there anymore.

Can I walk into the Theed cantina and see 10+ entertainers playing music and dancing while others sit and chat together? I tried that last night. I sat in an empty cantina and stared at a wall. So not there anymore.

Can I get a group together to go out hunting rancors and such? Again everyone can solo anything in this game so easily its sickening so no need to group. Hence its not there.

Just because you say it can be done doest mean its present if no one is doing it.

Oh and holocrons and jedi were the only real game killers in Pre-CU. Had there been no jedi or the secret to getting force sensitive been kept a secret (IE no holocrons or hints of any kind) the population never would have fallen off like it did and would probably still be huge right now. Of course we wouldnt have had the NGE either and the game would have been fixed since they wouldnt have wasted so much time catering to their pet jedi.

Kai
  • Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    The only reason they added the Jedi hologrind was to stave off the subscription cancellation rate.  At the time people were leaving in sizable chunks, because most game mechanics were broken and there was next to zero content.  The short of it is that they sold out for short term content in the hopes they could fix enough to get players to stay.  Same thing they did with CU and NGE except they gave up on their current customers and banked on new players coming in.

There is nothing to support any belief they wouldn't just do the same thing if classic servers were started.  It wasn't the servers that ran the game into the ground, it was the incompetence of SOE.
  • ShiloFieldsShiloFields Member Posts: 252
    I wouldn't.  Classic servers simply aren't enough.  They have to roll back at least Radiant, to November 14, 2005.  Anything less doesn't fix the problem. 
  • Ransom73Ransom73 Member Posts: 227

Originally posted by kaibigan34

So I can still hunt krayts with large groups of players? Oh wait there is no need to since everyone can solo krayts. Hence not there anymore.

You could solo krayts in CU and preCU. I used to afk solo ancients and NS elders with my Swordsman.

Your point?

Can I walk into the Theed cantina and see 10+ entertainers playing music and dancing while others sit and chat together? I tried that last night. I sat in an empty cantina and stared at a wall. So not there anymore.

You're not being stopped by anything other than players migrating towards Eisley and a low population.

Can I get a group together to go out hunting rancors and such? Again everyone can solo anything in this game so easily its sickening so no need to group. Hence its not there.

There was no need to group to hunt rancors preCU or CU. Everything was soloable THEN.

Again, your point?

Oh and holocrons and jedi were the only real game killers in Pre-CU. Had there been no jedi or the secret to getting force sensitive been kept a secret (IE no holocrons or hints of any kind) the population never would have fallen off like it did and would probably still be huge right now. Of course we wouldnt have had the NGE either and the game would have been fixed since they wouldnt have wasted so much time catering to their pet jedi.

Kai

Yeah, that's it.

Jedi killed the game.

Because, you know, you just can't have a Star Wars game without Jedi. It's like some sort of unwritten code that says permadeath and corpse runs should be in a game :roll:

It wasn't the busted ass mechanics that made only about 3 or 4 core templates viable (reminds me of the NGE!) for PvP. Not the busted mechanics that no profession (save Jedi) could heal mind. Not the busted mechanics that allowed for insane DoTs applied via looted weapons or CMs. Not the busted mechanics that allowed players like me to park my swordsman in front of an ancient krayt or NS elder and walk away from my computer for 5 minutes. Not the busted mechanics that allowed for afk crafting. Not the busted mechanics that made 'rubberbanding 150 meters off your speeder' the norm. Not the busted mechanics of a HAM system that never worked as Koster intended it to, allowing players to become gods. Not the busted mechanics that allowed for billions upon billions of credits to be exploited. Not the busted mechanics that allowed for unserialed krayt tissue to be run rampant. Not the busted mechanics that led to double and triple sliced weapons and armor. Not the busted mechanics that allowed an 1800 damage T21 and 4500 damage T21 to NEVER decay. Not the busted mechanics that made dizzy KD the deciding factor in PvP. Not the mechanics that made fire knockdown eye shot spamming BH's gods of PvP, then made headshotting T21 or Jawa cannon wielding riflemen gods of PvP or mind attacking Swordsmen gods of PvP. Nevermind the fact that those same methods were the most efficient in PvE (attacking one single pool with high damage attacks by armor piercing weapons).

And it certainly wasn't the busted PLAYERBASE that used duels as the measuring stick for "balance". Not the busted PLAYERBASE that can't understand that smuggler missions are in fact glorified delivery missions. Not the busted PLAYERBASE that could never be appeased no matter what the devs did. Not the busted PLAYERBASE that thought that 30 minutes wait to get combat ready was FUN. Not the busted PLAYERBASE that couldn't understand that if as a ranged player if you stood still whilst a melee player beat you over the head with a fooking POWERHAMMER of all things you shouldn't die quick.

Nah, it wasn't any of those things and more.

I could go on and on, but it would be pointless.

You could solo krayts in CU and preCU. I used to afk solo ancients and NS elders with my Swordsman.
    Your point?

You're not being stopped by anything other than players migrating towards Eisley and a low population.

There was no need to group to hunt rancors preCU or CU. Everything was soloable THEN.

Again, your point?

Kai

Yeah, that's it.

Jedi killed the game.

Because, you know, you just can't have a Star Wars game without Jedi. It's like some sort of unwritten code that says permadeath and corpse runs should be in a game :roll:

It wasn't the busted ass mechanics that made only about 3 or 4 core templates viable (reminds me of the NGE!) for PvP. Not the busted mechanics that no profession (save Jedi) could heal mind. Not the busted mechanics that allowed for insane DoTs applied via looted weapons or CMs. Not the busted mechanics that allowed players like me to park my swordsman in front of an ancient krayt or NS elder and walk away from my computer for 5 minutes. Not the busted mechanics that allowed for afk crafting. Not the busted mechanics that made 'rubberbanding 150 meters off your speeder' the norm. Not the busted mechanics of a HAM system that never worked as Koster intended it to, allowing players to become gods. Not the busted mechanics that allowed for billions upon billions of credits to be exploited. Not the busted mechanics that allowed for unserialed krayt tissue to be run rampant. Not the busted mechanics that led to double and triple sliced weapons and armor. Not the busted mechanics that allowed an 1800 damage T21 and 4500 damage T21 to NEVER decay. Not the busted mechanics that made dizzy KD the deciding factor in PvP. Not the mechanics that made fire knockdown eye shot spamming BH's gods of PvP, then made headshotting T21 or Jawa cannon wielding riflemen gods of PvP or mind attacking Swordsmen gods of PvP. Nevermind the fact that those same methods were the most efficient in PvE (attacking one single pool with high damage attacks by armor piercing weapons).

And it certainly wasn't the busted PLAYERBASE that used duels as the measuring stick for "balance". Not the busted PLAYERBASE that can't understand that smuggler missions are in fact glorified delivery missions. Not the busted PLAYERBASE that could never be appeased no matter what the devs did. Not the busted PLAYERBASE that thought that 30 minutes wait to get combat ready was FUN. Not the busted PLAYERBASE that couldn't understand that if as a ranged player if you stood still whilst a melee player beat you over the head with a fooking POWERHAMMER of all things you shouldn't die quick.

Oh no dont go on. I will do it for you since you failed to READ what I said.

Once SOE put holos in all their efforts went into jedi. All that crap you listed could have been fixed had they stopped catering to their preciouseeseessesss, the player jedi. Once those damn boxes and pyramids started dropping they did an about face. Everything from then on had something to do with jedi. (except for the droid invasion but I bet that was planned long before the holos so they went with it) Jedi became their advertising mule. Everytime one of those macroing elitest snobs whipped out that damn glowstick they got one more jedi-junkie on a free trial to want to sign up.

Everyone else who didnt want to do the whole jedi FS grind had to wade through our grinding aftermath. All those poor sods that just wanted to play the game and have fun had to watch as we ruined the economy and destroyed the enviroment. And all so we could get a stupid glowstick.

You can sit there and try to justify it as everything else except jedi but it was mostly jedi. And you damn well know it even if your too egotistical to admit it.

The time period said no jedi. And the people they should have been trying to attract, the star wars fans, bloody well knew it. The ones who would have made the game great knew jedi shouldnt be in there. So the ones already in game left and the others waiting to see before trying it, walked away. At C3 back in 05, anyone who played SWG was laughed at. Put down, and pretty much humiliated. Because SWG is NOT Star Wars. Its some twisted alternate reality. Hell most of us wouldnt have been surprised if the Enterprise popped out of warp in the Naboo sector when JTL was released.

And I will tell you another thing about this so called imbalance with the classes. There wasnt one. Yeah you heard me. Just because some newb got mind poisoned and died "Oh no I got owned! The combat medic is too powerful" Or headshot and died "Oh no that rifleman who spent 3 months getting a legendary T21 mindcapped me in one shot after I just got in game two days ago! It isnt fair! Nerf them!" All that whining came from future jedi junkies who thought their poop didnt stink so they shouldnt be killed.

It was just like the whole CH thing early on. Yah the CH needed a nerf. Not because they were too powerful. Because it looked damn stupid to see someone with only novice CH running around with three rancors following him. I learned early on if you see some guy point at you and his 3 pet Frenzied Grauls start coming for you, shoot the guy! How hard was that to figure out? It wasnt. But oh no not for some. "That CH killed me! I dont know how to think for myself! Nerf them!"

Ok granted there were small things. Like CMs should not have been able to toss poisons at someone from inside a base. But that could have been fixed. "Really? Nah lets just rip the whole game apart twice and take out everything we are too damn incompetent to fix.". The poor CHs were damn near nerfed into oblivion. Even when they got on par with everyone else, the developers just kept hitting them with that nerfbat they loved so much. If SOE had been a parent and the CHs its children I would have called the child abuse hotline.

But one last time for the cheapseats. Yes there were alot problems with the game earlier on. But had SOE stopped putting so much emphasis into their toy jedi and actually focused on the game, alot of, if not all, those problems would have been history the first year. We wouldnt be having this discussion right now.

Kai
  • ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529
    /applaud Kai

Preach on my brother. Jedi ruined the game, not just because it was an alpha class, but all the bullshit time invested in their development.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

That was an excellent summation of what was wrong with the game's development up to the NGE.  SOE ignored what the majority of the playerbase wanted because they thought Jedi was the path to glory.

• DvolDvol Member Posts: 273

Your point?

Again, your point?

Kai

Yeah, that's it.

Jedi killed the game.

Once SOE put holos in all their efforts went into jedi. All that crap you listed could have been fixed had they stopped catering to their preciouseeseessesss, the player jedi. Once those damn boxes and pyramids started dropping they did an about face. Everything from then on had something to do with jedi. (except for the droid invasion but I bet that was planned long before the holos so they went with it) Jedi became their advertising mule. Everytime one of those macroing elitest snobs whipped out that damn glowstick they got one more jedi-junkie on a free trial to want to sign up.

Everyone else who didnt want to do the whole jedi FS grind had to wade through our grinding aftermath. All those poor sods that just wanted to play the game and have fun had to watch as we ruined the economy and destroyed the enviroment. And all so we could get a stupid glowstick.

You can sit there and try to justify it as everything else except jedi but it was mostly jedi. And you damn well know it even if your too egotistical to admit it.

The time period said no jedi. And the people they should have been trying to attract, the star wars fans, bloody well knew it. The ones who would have made the game great knew jedi shouldnt be in there. So the ones already in game left and the others waiting to see before trying it, walked away. At C3 back in 05, anyone who played SWG was laughed at. Put down, and pretty much humiliated. Because SWG is NOT Star Wars. Its some twisted alternate reality. Hell most of us wouldnt have been surprised if the Enterprise popped out of warp in the Naboo sector when JTL was released.

And I will tell you another thing about this so called imbalance with the classes. There wasnt one. Yeah you heard me. Just because some newb got mind poisoned and died "Oh no I got owned! The combat medic is too powerful" Or headshot and died "Oh no that rifleman who spent 3 months getting a legendary T21 mindcapped me in one shot after I just got in game two days ago! It isnt fair! Nerf them!" All that whining came from future jedi junkies who thought their poop didnt stink so they shouldnt be killed.

It was just like the whole CH thing early on. Yah the CH needed a nerf. Not because they were too powerful. Because it looked damn stupid to see someone with only novice CH running around with three rancors following him. I learned early on if you see some guy point at you and his 3 pet Frenzied Grauls start coming for you, shoot the guy! How hard was that to figure out? It wasnt. But oh no not for some. "That CH killed me! I dont know how to think for myself! Nerf them!"

Ok granted there were small things. Like CMs should not have been able to toss poisons at someone from inside a base. But that could have been fixed. "Really? Nah lets just rip the whole game apart twice and take out everything we are too damn incompetent to fix.". The poor CHs were damn near nerfed into oblivion. Even when they got on par with everyone else, the developers just kept hitting them with that nerfbat they loved so much. If SOE had been a parent and the CHs its children I would have called the child abuse hotline.

But one last time for the cheapseats. Yes there were alot problems with the game earlier on. But had SOE stopped putting so much emphasis into their toy jedi and actually focused on the game, alot of, if not all, those problems would have been history the first year. We wouldnt be having this discussion right now.

KaiWoW Kai great post. Yep agree with yah and i was a Jedi precu, and a CM and many other nerfed unnerfed professions..SOE couldnt make up their minds who or what needed nerfed...Fixes is what we asked for and all we got was 2 bad Downgrades.But if they brought it back sadly id fire up 2 accounts and just play like it never happend..
  • Ransom73Ransom73 Member Posts: 227

Once SOE put holos in all their efforts went into jedi. All that crap you listed could have been fixed had they stopped catering to their preciouseeseessesss, the player jedi.

And who went for Jedi?

Thousands upon thousands of players.

Had Jedi NOT been available, those thousands upon thousands of players would have said "Screw this" and gone somewhere else.

Once those damn boxes and pyramids started dropping they did an about face. Everything from then on had something to do with jedi. (except for the droid invasion but I bet that was planned long before the holos so they went with it) Jedi became their advertising mule. Everytime one of those macroing elitest snobs whipped out that damn glowstick they got one more jedi-junkie on a free trial to want to sign up.

And that affected you HOW? If you didn't want to be a Jedi, you didn't have to be. Noone forced you.

What stopped them? Really, what stopped them? You could master nearly any combat profession in about 10-12 hrs played.

You keep saying "we" when referring to glowstick. Someone MADE you become a Jedi?

Star Wars IS Jedi. It's Luke. It's Vader. It's Kenobi.

Solo, Fett, and everyone else, were for the most part, minor players (discounting the EU).

The time period said no jedi. And the people they should have been trying to attract, the star wars fans, bloody well knew it.

The time period didn't say no Jedi. It said Jedi were in hiding. Big difference.

<snipped - a bunch of whining about future Jedi>

You remind me of the guy that got pissed that in KOTOR you played a Jedi and uninstalled the game...

It was just like the whole CH thing early on. Yah the CH needed a nerf. Not because they were too powerful. Because it looked damn stupid to see someone with only novice CH running around with three rancors following him.

Pretty much the definition of a nerf.

I learned early on if you see some guy point at you and his 3 pet Frenzied Grauls start coming for you, shoot the guy! How hard was that to figure out? It wasnt. But oh no not for some. "That CH killed me! I dont know how to think for myself! Nerf them!"

I'm guessing in your antiJedi rage and rhetoric you missed where I said this: "Not the busted PLAYERBASE that couldn't understand that if as a ranged player if you stood still whilst a melee player beat you over the head with a fooking POWERHAMMER of all things you shouldn't die quick." That's ok. People like tend to see only what you want to see and miss the rest due to rose colored glasses.

Ok granted there were small things. Like CMs should not have been able to toss poisons at someone from inside a base.

Gee! You THINK???

But that could have been fixed.

Oh really? Then why wasnt it?

"Really? Nah lets just rip the whole game apart twice and take out everything we are too damn incompetent to fix.". The poor CHs were damn near nerfed into oblivion. Even when they got on par with everyone else, the developers just kept hitting them with that nerfbat they loved so much. If SOE had been a parent and the CHs its children I would have called the child abuse hotline.

Lemme guess: You were a CM?

Kai

All you spout is WHAAAA Jedi killed the game.

That's it.

All those problems I listed? They continued on thru the CU. It wasn't early on problems, it was problems from launch to finish (the NGE).

The development time given to Jedi was (if you take off your blinders) justified. Why?

Because if you screw up Jedi, then well...You've screwed up your entire game. By the time launch rolled around, the game was as screwed up as it was towards the end of preCU.

People didnt buy the box to be a Creature Handler. They didn't buy the box to be a dancer. They didn't buy the box to build houses. They bought it to be a Jedi. To be Solo. To be Boba Fett.

• KraeneeKraenee Member Posts: 166
    Well I had to respond to this sinse I'm still playing the POS.

Even with classic servers the boneheads that are in charge will still screw it up.  This game lacks vision and goals that make sense. What it really comes down to is the only way you can polish this turd is if somebody else took it over and has a contract with LA that LA stays out of it completely.  SOE is not the only screw up here. LA and their marketing idiots screwed this game up just as much as the code monkeys at SOE. In fact if SOE wants to put something in game they have to OK it through LA first.

Overall I've played it since Beta and er.. well I'm still playing beta! WTF

I think what kicks us all in the ass is the fact that all of us poor bastards that played it, could come up with better content.

Too bad the devs don't play it.

Once SOE put holos in all their efforts went into jedi. All that crap you listed could have been fixed had they stopped catering to their preciouseeseessesss, the player jedi.

And who went for Jedi?

Thousands upon thousands of players.

Had Jedi NOT been available, those thousands upon thousands of players would have said "Screw this" and gone somewhere else.

Those thousands upon thousands of players earlier on were just looking for something to do. See this is the situation. You throw any kind of content into a content wasteland you will get people running to it like mad. I cant count the number of players, early on, who were saying they didnt want jedi but wanted to know what the boxes told them. It was a quest to get a box or pyramid. Just to find out what it would say. Or they just wanted one to put in their house as a decoration. You could have had rare loot drops of stuffed Barney dinosaurs that would sing the "I love you, you love me." song everytime you clicked on it and people would have run to it at that time.

I know this because I was farming them. And selling them. My toon was bugged. I had a higher percentage chance to get good loot then anyone else. People were getting maybe one holocron every few days of farming. I was getting 2 and 3 in a two hour run across Dantooine. And I would then sit in front of the starport in Cnet and sell them for 3 million creds each. I had a ton of people buy them, not to be jedi, just to hear what it said or to use as deco. There was an entire guild farming them and buying them from me and others. Not one of them went jedi. They put them in their guildhall as deco. Well over a hundred of the Sith holos made to look like a giant pyramid.

SOE saw this and assumed, wrongly (is that even a word? heh), that it meant people wanted jedi. When they didnt. They just wanted something to do.

Once those damn boxes and pyramids started dropping they did an about face. Everything from then on had something to do with jedi. (except for the droid invasion but I bet that was planned long before the holos so they went with it) Jedi became their advertising mule. Everytime one of those macroing elitest snobs whipped out that damn glowstick they got one more jedi-junkie on a free trial to want to sign up.

And that affected you HOW? If you didn't want to be a Jedi, you didn't have to be. Noone forced you.

Ah but later on it attracted those who did want it. People who knew jedi didnt belong in that time period would try out the free trial of the time and see all those glowstick wielding yahoos running around then say "Screw this!" and never join up. But the others stayed. Hence the main bulk of players they got were jedi junkies. To SOE 500k diverse players had less worth then 50k jedi junkies. There is your problem.

What stopped them? Really, what stopped them? You could master nearly any combat profession in about 10-12 hrs played.

You keep saying "we" when referring to glowstick. Someone MADE you become a Jedi?

I unlocked. Because I wanted to play a jedi. When I first got the game that was my soul reason for playing. To be a jedi. But once I unlocked and saw what I and all the other jedi junkies were doing to the game and the community I woke the heck up.

Its all about who you attract. If you want a diverse group in a community you do NOT cater to one specific type of person. And that was what SOE did. They saw dollar signs in the jedi junkies.  Whenever they could attract a jedi junkie that was a guarunteed 6 to 12 month paid account. Because that jedi junkie has to spend time leveling, grinding, unlocking, then leveling again. Versus one of the diverse community players who wasnt guarunteed to stay more then a month.

It was down right beautiful in its inception. But it had a huge downside. That meant alot more time had to be spent on jedi to keep them up front and in the view of every potential player. So they could weed out those that didnt want jedi and go for those that wanted jedi. Look at the marketing. Start with JTL. Of the 5 promo videos I saw, 3 of them had more jedi then they did ships. For quite awhile every other screenshot of the day had a jedi in it. They even changed one of their ads that ran alot to say "Be a jedi." straight out of the gate.

Star Wars IS Jedi. It's Luke. It's Vader. It's Kenobi.

Solo, Fett, and everyone else, were for the most part, minor players (discounting the EU).

Yet Boba Fett, who had only 11 minutes of screentime, was the most popular character in Ep. IV - VI.  The second most popular character was Han Solo, third and fourth were C-3PO and R2-D2. Jedi was a big part of Star Wars but it wasnt the only part of Star Wars. Lucas himself said many times that Star Wars is the tale of two droids. And anyone, with half a brain, who saw that trilogy knew that jedi didnt belong in that time period like that. Hence many of those people that SOE should have been trying to attract wouldnt touch SWG with a ten foot pole.

The time period said no jedi. And the people they should have been trying to attract, the star wars fans, bloody well knew it.

The time period didn't say no Jedi. It said Jedi were in hiding. Big difference.

Hmmm ok lets go with that. Jedi were supposed to be in hiding. We will forget Order 66 damn near wiped them all out. We will forget the Dark Knights, a group of dark jedi led by Vader whose sole purpose was to hunt and  kill any jedi they found. We will forget Boba Fett who killed several jedi for Vader. And we will forget the Inquisitorious that was there just to convert jedi to the dark side.

So were jedi in hiding in SWG? I remember seeing Vader trying to give his troops a pep talk in Theed and watching several rebel jedi running circles around the NPC and teasing it. I cant count how many times I watched jedi make a run on Mos Espa, Bestine, Emp. Retreat, the IO on dant, etc. Yah they were really in hiding.

According to SWG, Order 66 failed miserably. The Empire is the Keystone Cops of sci fi. The Emperor should be wearing clown make up with a bright orange wig, blue and red polka dot suit, and hueg red shoes. Oh and a gigantic huge nose that honks.

<snipped - a bunch of whining about future Jedi>

You remind me of the guy that got pissed that in KOTOR you played a Jedi and uninstalled the game...

Jedi belonged in the KOTOR series. It was quite clear. But they didnt belong in SWG. I and most wouldnt have had any problem with jedi had it been set during a time when jedi were numerous.

It was just like the whole CH thing early on. Yah the CH needed a nerf. Not because they were too powerful. Because it looked damn stupid to see someone with only novice CH running around with three rancors following him.

Pretty much the definition of a nerf.

I learned early on if you see some guy point at you and his 3 pet Frenzied Grauls start coming for you, shoot the guy! How hard was that to figure out? It wasnt. But oh no not for some. "That CH killed me! I dont know how to think for myself! Nerf them!"

I'm guessing in your antiJedi rage and rhetoric you missed where I said this: "Not the busted PLAYERBASE that couldn't understand that if as a ranged player if you stood still whilst a melee player beat you over the head with a fooking POWERHAMMER of all things you shouldn't die quick." That's ok. People like tend to see only what you want to see and miss the rest due to rose colored glasses.

Ok granted there were small things. Like CMs should not have been able to toss poisons at someone from inside a base.

Gee! You THINK???

But that could have been fixed.

Oh really? Then why wasnt it?

You dont read posts much do you? I will say it one last time.

IT WASN'T FIXED BECAUSE SOE WAS TOO FETHING BUSY CATERING TO THEIR DAMN JEDI!!!!!!!!!!!

Got it now? If they hadnt spent so much time on the jedi crap they could have focused attention on the really serious issues and people wouldnt have left.

"Really? Nah lets just rip the whole game apart twice and take out everything we are too damn incompetent to fix.". The poor CHs were damn near nerfed into oblivion. Even when they got on par with everyone else, the developers just kept hitting them with that nerfbat they loved so much. If SOE had been a parent and the CHs its children I would have called the child abuse hotline.

Lemme guess: You were a CM?

I was a ranger/rifleman.

Kai

All you spout is WHAAAA Jedi killed the game.

That's it.

All those problems I listed? They continued on thru the CU. It wasn't early on problems, it was problems from launch to finish (the NGE).

The development time given to Jedi was (if you take off your blinders) justified. Why?

Because if you screw up Jedi, then well...You've screwed up your entire game. By the time launch rolled around, the game was as screwed up as it was towards the end of preCU.

People didnt buy the box to be a Creature Handler. They didn't buy the box to be a dancer. They didn't buy the box to build houses. They bought it to be a Jedi. To be Solo. To be Boba Fett.

Now genius how can they be Solo or Fett if everything SOE was doing was for Jedi huh? Come on Mr. Brilliant. Make the connection here. Think real hard. No one could really be Solo because smuggling wasnt added. Why? Because SOE was too busy making sure jedi had everything they wanted. you could be Fett but it was real hard to do with dead missions and missions in water. Why? Because SOE was too busy making sure jedi had everything they wanted. There was even a poll posted before game release asking what you wanted to be in SWG. Jedi was less then 5%. The largest percentages were bounty hunters, smugglers, droid engineers, and muscians.

I was one of the ones that wanted jedi. But I am the type of person that thinks the journey to a goal is better then the goal itself. I believed all those lies that it was a mysterious path and it would take years to get it. I was all for that. I was a ranger/rifleman and enjoyed myself immensely. I loved going out hunting and exploring. But once some idiot found one of those 8-balls on Dantooine I was blinded and chunked it all. Once I saw what I was doing to the community and the economy I did an about face and went back to ranger/rifleman. But it was a different game after that. The economy was so messed up it was nuts. Botting became commonplace because no one wanted to sit at the computers grinding out profession after profession. I can say if I knew then what I know now I would never have even tried for jedi.

The leavers enmasse didnt really hit big until holos started dropping. Yah some left earlier but that is normal for an MMO. They didnt leave because there was no jedi then. They left because it wasnt their cup of tea. It happens in all MMOs. But the huge downslide didnt start until holocrons started dropping. If you played back then you would have been able to see that. Check the charts. Check old forum posts. The dates of people noticing people leaving is almost to the day that holocrons started dropping. Oddly enough alot those people that left came back for JTL. Then left about a month later. Incidently the sametime it took to master a pilot profession. Why? No jedi in space.

Ask people who left the game and I will bet you dollars to donuts that 50% of them will tell you it was because of jedi. Whether it was because jedi were in the game, the way to get jedi was screwed, or that there was so many. It was because of jedi. Considering the other 50% would be spread out with other reasons that is a huge pie chart in favor of them not wanting jedi in game. At C3 I asked people that left why. And most of them said jedi didnt belong in that time period.

Yes the game had problems early on. I am not denying that. But had SOE stopped all the focus on jedi and focused on the truly serious issues people wouldnt have quit because the game was fudged. Yes jedi is apart of Star Wars. But anyone who saw the movies knew that jedi didnt belong. All the players back then were more then happy to play the game being Owen the farmer or Droopy the musician. And again had SOE spent more time helping Han smuggle or Malakili to tame and less time making sure Obi and Luke had all the breaks, this game would have been a huge success.

We will just have to agree to disagree at this point. Your too egotistical to admit the truth and I am too tired to talk to a wall that doesnt listen. Have a nice day cheesy lips.

Kai
  • War_DancerWar_Dancer Member Posts: 941
    I wouldn't go back for clasic servers.
  • FrenzFrenz Member Posts: 48

Would of been good if they made it possible to get better elite profs that could compete with jedi, like an advanced bounty hunter and teras kasi and add a rank system similar to the FRS for each advanced prof. Obviously make it as hard to get and level up as jedi.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

Who Wouldn't Come Back If There were Classic Servers?

I wouldnt play on a classic server, I found the old SWG much to complicated and cumbersome.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• panicinazpanicinaz Member Posts: 7
    I wouldn't come back either, most of the content was player driven and well, that community has gone.  I have high hopes for Fallen Earth since it seems to also be something of an open sandbox type environment with a unique look (and non-fantasy).  Goodbye SWG and my short fat rodian jedi friend, gonna miss you.