Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why?

Vanguard-TPVanguard-TP Member Posts: 35

For the life of me, I cant understand WHY the UO Dev's wont give us classic UO lovers a damn classic UO shard. Hell, if they want to keep todays UO players seperated from a classic shard, just release a seperate CD called classic UO or some junk. The UO team has a new release / upgrade each time they decide to make the game more item / PvE based. There is no reason why they could not do this. I have played ALOT of free player run shards but they have cheaters and skum communitys. I dont know about other classic UO players, im still mad as hell to this day  . I hope to god that Darkfall Online comes out soon!

Comments

• WarsongLSWarsongLS Member Posts: 37

I believe that the reason we can not get a "classic" shard has been address.

If I remember correctly, several devs stated that since the code was so old and that there are no devs from the original dev team, that to try to redo a "pre-aos" shard, would take way to long.  It would also eat up to many resources, supposedly.

I think that it was also stated that the code had been revised, bug fixed, changed around that, it was not posible to establish the original code.  You might want to head over to stractics and check some of the archived devs corners.

• Vanguard-TPVanguard-TP Member Posts: 35
    They are full of sh**. If some nerd can make a free classic shard from his home, the UO team could make one with no prob at all.
  • RoyouRoyou Member UncommonPosts: 82

I put this on another post before I read this one, but I don't want to re-write it so am going to paste it below instead.

There is just one thing I don't get about E.A, if you make a thing, (ok they didn't originally make UO Richard Garret did) which to all purposes is expensive, and market this item, then you are going to take out insurances should you have problems, in the computer world they make backups/copies of the original, which are put in archives, should the whole system crash or a new patch corrupt the system regular/daily backups are made, so that the system can be restored.

I don't for one second believe anything that E.A say when It comes to bringing out a classic server, as I believe that they have everything that they need to do it in there archives, so they can come up with any lame dumb ass answer they want, I won't believe them for this reason.

NO the reason I believe they won't do it is that Richard Garret (the true Lord British) must have some form of copyright on the original version of UO, and they reason for all the changes is that E.A have put their own stamp on OU changing it from Richards concept/Idea and designs, there by making it in their way different, and their's not his, so if they were to bring out a classic server they would have to pay Richard for the right to do this, something that I feel E.A would never do.

Who knows the big man himself my have had taken out something to prevent this, and forbade E.A from ever bringing out an original Classic Server, and for all we know when Richard left he could have taken all the original archives up to the E.A additions, with him.

So as for an original classic server, it is something that I don't think will ever see

imageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

"The Virtues guide us when the path is dark, Sacrifice most of all, sometimes Sacrifice is the Greatest Weapon we have!

That is a Cruel Truth" (Austen Andrews. Ultima The Technocrat War. 2002)
  • FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558
    Originally posted by Vanguard-TP

They are full of sh**. If some nerd can make a free classic shard from his home, the UO team could make one with no prob at all.
    Get over it. 
  • DraconiDraconi Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Royou
    NO the reason I believe they won't do it is that Richard Garret (the true Lord British) must have some form of copyright on the original version of UO, and they reason for all the changes is that E.A have put their own stamp on OU changing it from Richards concept/Idea and designs, there by making it in their way different, and their's not his, so if they were to bring out a classic server they would have to pay Richard for the right to do this, something that I feel E.A would never do.
    Who knows the big man himself my have had taken out something to prevent this, and forbade E.A from ever bringing out an original Classic Server, and for all we know when Richard left he could have taken all the original archives up to the E.A additions, with him.
    So... no. Actually.

When EA acquired Origin we gained full rights to almost every aspect of the Ultima franchise; a very notable exception being  "Lord British." Richard Garriott specifically kept his trademarked name as his own property, and it was used with his permission in Ultima Online.

UO was developed well after the original acquisition, and I promise you the reasons behind not having a Classic Shard are much more mundane than Lord British putting his foot down. Another poster already mentioned that the subject has been beaten to death over the years on Stratics, and it's pretty much true.

Sure, we have the pre-AOS source code (even Pre-Ren), and, fortunately, one of the most Ultima/UO-familiar dev teams in years. That doesn't mean much though given the pure amount of time and resources it would take to bring that code up to date to work on our modern systems, plug the innumerable bugs and exploits found over the years, and resolve differences with the client. Not to mention that "Classic" means very different things to different people.

We've got a lot going on right now and sadly, boring reasons not to do something still are valid reasons not to do something.

Viva la Kingdom Reborn!
  • sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

You lose then.

"Classic UO" is far superior to the garbage product labeled UO today; any expasion upon this current garbage will only result in a larger pile of garbage.  It would be better to freeze development on the current UO video game and continue on with the classic virtual world type concept that UO was originally founded upon than releasing another expansion for your decrepit player base.

Classic in every sense of the word means original, before changes were made.  Sunsword, a producer of UO, defined the Renaissance expansion himself as a drastic change to the UO game.  It's a sorry excuse to claim that it's unclear what "classic" means when the answer is so clear, the game before drastic changes were made, i.e. pre-Renaissance.

UO has become an unremakable product produced by people with little to no passion who's main interest is feeling secure in their jobs; ironically it will also eventually die as a gray mass for the very same reason.

From virtual world to video game - the de-evolution of Ultima Online.

UO is nothing but  a history lesson now, one that their own develpers and parent company still have not learned from.

• ZenthiasZenthias Member Posts: 36
    Cry about it.
  • obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Will be interesting to see what directions KR and the expansion really will bring.

At the moment UO is a mediocre to bad game if they players don't make their own content.

KR will put UO in the 21 century at least - well 2003 or so at least, but the gameplay ... is still lost with Diablo 2 times.
  • uoplayer123uoplayer123 Member Posts: 225
    Either of 2 things , the dont want the old , they want new , or they are working on a classic shard , and its top secret....
  • uoplayer123uoplayer123 Member Posts: 225
    Originally posted by Draconi

Originally posted by Royou
    So... no. Actually.

When EA acquired Origin we gained full rights to almost every aspect of the Ultima franchise; a very notable exception being  "Lord British." Richard Garriott specifically kept his trademarked name as his own property, and it was used with his permission in Ultima Online.

UO was developed well after the original acquisition, and I promise you the reasons behind not having a Classic Shard are much more mundane than Lord British putting his foot down. Another poster already mentioned that the subject has been beaten to death over the years on Stratics, and it's pretty much true.

Sure, we have the pre-AOS source code (even Pre-Ren), and, fortunately, one of the most Ultima/UO-familiar dev teams in years. That doesn't mean much though given the pure amount of time and resources it would take to bring that code up to date to work on our modern systems, plug the innumerable bugs and exploits found over the years, and resolve differences with the client. Not to mention that "Classic" means very different things to different people.

We've got a lot going on right now and sadly, boring reasons not to do something still are valid reasons not to do something.

Viva la Kingdom Reborn!

Be careful this UO designer is crazy (blackrock infected : current story line , sorry for those who dont know) , no seriously he is great ,
  • It has been my experience that no matter what a game does, once you leave, you can never go back and it be the way it was.

AC was my first experience with mmo's and I left it for a couple years. When I tried it again it just didn't feel right. I had moved on.