Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I've never played This Game. Should I?

Comments

• MalkavianMalkavian Member UncommonPosts: 2,995

Alright i'm give the trial ago.

Anyone have any suggestions:

• which server
    • which race

• which class

would be ideal to start out with to learn the game?

- Malkavian image

"When you find youself sinking into Madness, dive" - Malkavian Proverb

- MMORPG.COM Staff -
    Forum Stalker
    [email protected]

"When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive"

• zide56zide56 Member Posts: 356
    Why don't you just try it?

Originally posted by TookyG

There were theories that L2 and CoH would crush SWG, well combined CoH and L2 have 180,000 subscribers.  Two combined games have less than SWG did a week after launch and still have less than it does almost a year later.

Well, do remember that it's STAR WARS.

Originally posted by TookyG

Malkavian, I can say with all honesty that, in all the MMOs I've played or beta'd I've never seen this level of communication and real results.  The game needed quite a lot of work when it was released, and still needs some work yet.  However, the dev team does a big Publish, two weeks later we get a mini-publish (with revamps/fixes), and two weeks after that we get a new Dungeon or other such quest.  Then the cycle begins again.  Naturally things may get a small push back for one reason or another but since they're implemented that cycle they've never pushed anything back more than a week.

Wow.  I've really never heard anything like that before.  Do you work for SOE?  image

Have you read En1Gma's reviews?  He says the server that he's on (Chilastra) is a ghost town.  The fact is, people are sick and tired of the crap that SWG has to offer in place of decent content (especially the artisans--they have NOTHING to do), and they are leaving.  The game is very unbalanced, and there is really little reason to play.  If you go back, you will get tired and quit; that I promise you.

As for your statement that people aren't leaving--do you have proof for that?

Originally posted by En1Gma

Well, I tend to think they do reward you.  For example, if you are a armorsmith you can make different and better armor when u hit the next grinding level.  All four sections of all Master Artisan skills gives you a reward whether the item you make has been significantly improved or you are open to make newer and better items.

Getting other stuff to grind with?  Not a reward.

Same thing with Marksmen or fighting professions...each level of grind can unlocked the use of a higher weapon, better accuracy, higher damage, stat increases, etc.

Yeah...so you can keep grinding.  Not a reward.

True, a lot of mmorpg do offer grind and many others offer the opposite but whatever way you look at it, all "good" mmorpgs do have grinding involved whether they suck or not.  SWG does offer some type of incentive,  The only thing I would stay away from in SWG is the bounty Hunter until they get that fixed.  But other than that, all professions I can think of gives you some sort of reward when u hit the next level; Architechts (sp) allows you to make bigger, better homes, PA halls, city halls, etc per grinding level.

Again: just because you gain the ability to grind with different crap, doesn't mean you're getting a reward for your grinding.

So I am not to sure either what you are refering to as "no reward"

I'm not sure what you are referring to as a "reward".

Ok, I asked for people's opinions of the game and how far it has come since release. I didn't ask for people to start questioning other peoples opinions or start flamming. So no more. It's a simple question. "What do you think of SWG?" That's it.

Kunou will be releasing a Review of SWG soon with his own opinion of the game and how far it has progressed since release.

- Malkavian image

- MMORPG.COM Staff -
    Forum Stalker
    [email protected]

Who's flaming?

Noone yet. Just covering that aspect ahead of time. image

- Malkavian image

- MMORPG.COM Staff -
    Forum Stalker
    [email protected]

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by zide56

Well, I tend to think they do reward you.  For example, if you are a armorsmith you can make different and better armor when u hit the next grinding level.  All four sections of all Master Artisan skills gives you a reward whether the item you make has been significantly improved or you are open to make newer and better items.

Show me ONE just ONE mmorpg where you do not get a higher weapon or spell or item so that you can use that to further grind

In EQ, L2, WoW (i played Beta), AO you get spells higher level to use those to grind to a higher level

In EVE you get higher ships, better armor and weapon to grin further and more efficiently

In FFXI you get better armor, weapons, spells, summons to help with your grind to the next level.

DaoC you grind to become better at PvP and Castle Sieges

In CoH you grind to get more inpsirations, newer powers to help with your grinding to the next level.

So I really dont see your point. Im not flaming...Im just trying to show you that virtually every single mmorpg has grinds to reward  you items to grin to a next level, so I yet to see your point.

Malk

...the server choice is kinda tricky.  If you pick a higher server population the items on bazaar and vendors are kinda crazy expensive. On less populated servers the economy is fine but the population is sorta low.  But after almost a week of playing Im seeing more and more.  The free trail...I met 100 people alone on Chilystra (sp) server who are on the free trail.

Also, the profession u should pick is really up to you.  Frankly, i would choose a marksmen profession so you can get the feel of the combat system and how other artisans owrk. Then if crafting weapons if your cup of tea then you can train as an artisan i any town for 100 credits

The only downside about the free trail is that you are only limited to 50,000 credits (which I havent yet raised so I wouldnt worry about it)...also, they put a 50K cap because subscribed players could set up an account and make a lot from it and tranfer credits, etc to each other. 

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Malk...

Also, if you create a character on StarSider lemme know..someone just gave my alt character a full set of storm trooper armor (which takes a very long time to acquire)

If you want it lemme know..my main character is on Chilstra and I dont u se StarSider...so if youre on Starsider lemme know, Ill hook ya up with a full set of storm trooper armor...im not using it anyways

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Thanx guys.

Well i went to go download the 14Day trial from fileplanet but there are no "non-fileplanet subscriber" servers offering the download. I have to pay/ register with file-planet just to download the 14-day trial!

Now i understand how Fileplanet got the deal. image 

Does anyone know of an alternate source for a Trial?

Edit: 4 Day weekend coming for me. I wan't to make the most of it with SWG if not i'll be in COH...

- Malkavian image

- MMORPG.COM Staff -
    Forum Stalker
    [email protected]

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115
    Generally trials are available to FP subscribers first.  I'm sure that shortly they'll open up the DL to non-paying users of FP.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

Yes well the offer doesn't end untill July, so that makes sense...

- Malkavian image

- MMORPG.COM Staff -
    Forum Stalker
    [email protected]

Show me ONE just ONE mmorpg where you do not get a higher weapon or spell or item so that you can use that to further grind

In EQ, L2, WoW (i played Beta), AO you get spells higher level to use those to grind to a higher level

In EVE you get higher ships, better armor and weapon to grin further and more efficiently

In FFXI you get better armor, weapons, spells, summons to help with your grind to the next level.

DaoC you grind to become better at PvP and Castle Sieges

In CoH you grind to get more inpsirations, newer powers to help with your grinding to the next level.

So I really dont see your point. Im not flaming...Im just trying to show you that virtually every single mmorpg has grinds to reward  you items to grin to a next level, so I yet to see your point.

I see this fallacy all over these boards.  The fact is: when someone is attacking a certain game, you can't go to another game and say, "Well, that one has that problem, too".  It doesn't do anything for your argument.  The fact that this other game has the same problem as the one I am attacking has, doesn't make me feel any better about the problem that I complained about.  If two games have that problem, then both need to be fixed.  But stick to the game that is being discussed.

• HrnacHrnac Member Posts: 44

Zide56,

I think he is trying to say that what you perceive as a MMORPG problem is not a problem at all. He is using multiple game examples to bolster his argument. I tend to agree with En1gma as well. I think your perception of how these games should function might not in line with the game developers. There is nothing wrong with that, but you might have trouble finding a game that you really enjoy. I would love to see your solutions to the things that you take exception with.

-Hrnac

Originally posted by Hrnac

Zide56,
    I think he is trying to say that what you perceive as a MMORPG problem is not a problem at all. He is using multiple game examples to bolster his argument.

exactly

As the Bible says, "There is nothing new under the sun"  All mmorpgs have their own version of grinding no matter if its cloaked behind spells, swords, blasters, crafting kits, etc.

I see this fallacy all over these boards.  The fact is: when someone is attacking a certain game, you can't go to another game and say, "Well, that one has that problem, too".  It doesn't do anything for your argument. 

Then, sadly, you have not gotten my point.  I was never intending to put these mmorpgs down or use their system as flawed examples.  Im trying to give you these examples to SHOW you that they're all the same when it comes to some sort of grinding.  I just like blasters and lightsabers over magic and swords. 

The bottom line is which mmorpg tickles your fancy as there all clones of eath other when it comes to the philosophy of grinding.  Hell, even the MODs and script based rpgs way back in the 80's and early nineties even had grinding.  There's no escaping it until a game breaks that tradition and so far no game now or presently listed in the "Games in Development" has conquered the grinding dilemma.

The ones that did try to "conquered" it received harshed criticism as many people hated leveling so easily.

• Pi--Pi-- Member Posts: 83

The ones that did try to "conquered" it received harshed criticism as many people hated leveling so easily.

The opposite of level grinding is not "leveling easily" it is having fun grinding. People do not mind killing the same monsters and doing the same types of quests as long as it is challenging and the combat requires choice-taking/thinking.

I agree with zide56 that you cant advertise/promote SWG, by concluding that other MMORPG's has the same problem - its irrelevant to the point. SWG's gameplay is still flawed.

-Pi

-Pi

• zoey121zoey121 Member Posts: 926

nothing new? i beg to differ

the ham bar is the most puzzeling convouluted ham i have seen in any mmorg out there besides you're ham bar u have a 10 + line health bar that also takes mega different types of wounds packs to heal

no insta heals here, medics have to make packs for each of those lines which take time resources equpiment  and time for each stat to go down

then besides the time it takes to "treat each wound type" there is battle fatigue which is healed by an entertainer dancer or musician, tehcnicaly go in a cantina and /watch a dancer or /listen to one of these toons as they randomly press buttons over and over and or macroing them over and over 

and during holo stage cornet and theeds were full of afker not live "entertainers" lag there horrid (still)

hurry up and wait, before the fix of the inter plantary shuttle times it was not uncommon if traveling far to spend 45 minutes traveling . I.e starting on tatoone then cornet then the outer areas , continualy arriving and running up to the ticket driod as you watch your transport take off without you ........

one of my final straws was apprentice points

ok you got your box trained from a trainer ( or another player your needed skill) you want to get your "masters tag" and find you have to have an additional 620 points . That comes from training other people

well early days of the game that was fairly easy, as most server areas and game towns were busteling with people

now days you have cornet and theeds with afk spamers advertising there mostly empty vendor shops and

though if you grouped along the way you could conseivably "train folks along the way" most folks now are "saving there skills for there own desired template.

Theroticaly no big deal to drop a skill then re train it but unless in a guild with folks that are acatuly playing when you play a bot account or a really good pal still playing

apprentice points can be cumbersom and its just another needless time sink that servers no useful purpose other then to frustate a player .....................

there are some interesting things here but grouping at least on starsider was not one of them

solo grouping is the big thing and what i hear is popular else where to ( you solo group to get higher payout missions)

i am not sure i would even classify this game as a mmorpg more like a singal player game you see people there play along side them barter trade sell, but the lack of working together, grouping just doesn't seem prevalent here

if i were looking to a new mmorpg now, i would look at do they group? decent rewards along the way? do i have to bug other folks for different things  in order to hunt? do i have to depend on everyone else to play the game, or can i just log on and find something to do within a reasonable ammount of time if say i only have a hour or so to play at that time..........

Requiring so many other players is great.  It is a massively multiplayer after all.  Many other MMOs might require someone else every now and then, and possibly just to get the highest level of content by grouping.

SWG takes other players and shoves them down your throat because you NEED other players for the good equipment, healing, buffs, food, etc.  I personally think that it's good for the game, community gives MMOs more staying power.

That's not to say you can't solo in this game.  This is probably the easiest game to solo in.  However, from time to time you are going to need others for new equipment, etc.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

Why are we bringing the Bible into this? image

Regardless, about the whole people thing: people these days are jerks.  Especially if you are a roleplayer.  If you are not a roleplayer, listening to all the uber-l33t jackassery that talks about everything ranging from sex to Halo (God-forsaken game) to basically everything but what they should be talking about, might not bother you.  But for those of us who want to feel immersed in the game and actually feel "Star Warsy", it matters immensely.

I'm not trying to be a bigot, but I am positive that if people role-played in SWG, I would look over all of its many flaws.  For community is half of what MMORPGs are made of, and a good community is impossible to have in today's MTV-itized culture.

An Excerpt from

STAR WARS: EPISODE V

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

SPECIAL UBER-L33T (MTV) EDITION

INT. CLOUD CITY, BESPIN - EVENING

VADER and LUKE continue to clash lightsabers fiercely, all the while moving closer to an outcropping suspended over the vast emptiness underneath Cloud City.

Harder and harder they fight, until they finally reach the outcropping.  VADER catches LUKE off-guard and severs his hand, with his lightsaber still in it.

LUKE

f*ck u d*ckwad!111!!!1~

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

VADER

LMAO i pwned u noob!111!

Its just a quote, Zide, stop looking for flaws in every statement I make

Originally posted by Malkavian

Yes well the offer doesn't end untill July, so that makes sense...

SWG will be available from FP to non-paying users at 8:00 PM Eastern on June 4th.

• ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

It's not so much that SWG is a bad game, per se. It's just once you reach a certain point, or if you happen to have picked 1 of about 4 proffesions, the game becomes trivial, outside of a few things. Example, my current template includes Teras Kasi at 0243, and with 80% kinetic resist composite armor, and buffs, there isn't much I cant kill, if I dropped all the crap I was hologrinding, and went for TKM/Combat Medic, or TKM/Doc, I would be virtually unstoppable. Same could be said for Fencer, Swordsman, and Rifleman.

Even the people that decide not to go with the FOTM template, with good comp armor, and a decent set of buffs, most of the content is trivial. The only exceptions being Krayt Dragons, and some of the new stuff they've added in the last month or so, like the Correllian Corvette, which is pretty brutal from what I've heard.

As someone else mentioned, the Apprentice point system, which worked fine at release, doesn't hold up so well now that the player base has matured, unless you have the credits to buy the app from someone, which runs around 100k on Kettemoor, or happen to have a guildmate, or friend that has some spare scouting, medic, or combat xp that they can use for you to train them in a level 1 skill ad nauseum. It's even worse for the poor bastards that have Jedi. I have no idea how they get their app, unless they removed the app requirements from them.

All in all, it's a decent game, and it does seem to be improving a little at a time, though the devs seem to take a rather strange direction in going about fixing things, ie They add all sorts of content for Image Designers, which few people play, meanwhile Bounty Hunter missions are still buggy as hell, and have been from day one, you still rubberband all over when dismounting from a vehicle, though it isn't as bad as it used to be, and their combat balance patches are still yet to be seen, if they ever appear, since balancing combat in SWG will prove to be near impossible with the way professions are set up.

It's just disappointing because it could have been a great game

--------
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo

Its just a quote, Zide, stop looking for flaws in every statement I make

Now you're getting paranoid.  There is just no need to quote the Bible in a dicussion like this.  It's not relevant and it makes me feel uncomfortable.

lol, if the quote "nothing new under the sun" makes you uncomfortable then Ill leave you at that