Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Level Grinding in this game

zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558
This is the rumor I hear.   Is it true?

Comments

• peenkpeenk Member Posts: 270
    1. Korean game 

2. Looks like L2 with wings

If its going to be w/o the grind it'll be somewhat of "when pigs fly" type of thing.

WTB Shadowbane 2

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

www.aionfuse.com/forum/showthread.php

This page has a lot of important information about Aion.

No Level grinding, Player housing, player run economy, A living breathing world that changes on the actions of the player, free flight and aerial combat, RvR combat, sounds good to me.

http://gameloading.blogspot.com/ - latest update: April 21, Subject: The 5 most overhyped MMORPG's.

My mmorpg Blog ;)

Currently playing:

World of Warcraft

9Dragons

Waiting for:

Granado Espada

I got this from the General forums.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    According to NCsoft,there won't be any level grinding.

Its best to ignore people like Peenk who rely on stereotypes instead of the actual facts presented to us.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/708/708762p1.html

"Play as a Demon or Angel in a Korean MMO that breaks with level-grinding."

"According to Yong Taek Bae, Associate Producer for NCsoft Seoul, there will be none of the level-grinding which is common in Korean MMOs. Although not fully disclosed at this time, the leveling-up system will be different from what you would normally expect."
  • Nightshade44Nightshade44 Member Posts: 58
    Free flight? I heard there was flight, but it was not free flight, it was pathed flight... Like WoW gryphon rides, did this change to free flight? If so that's awesome, because pathed flight would suck the life out of a great concept.

Anticipating: Aion - Tower of Eternity
    Veteran: Star Wars Galaxies
    Veteran: The Matrix Online

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Nightshade44

Free flight? I heard there was flight, but it was not free flight, it was pathed flight... Like WoW gryphon rides, did this change to free flight? If so that's awesome, because pathed flight would suck the life out of a great concept.
    They changed it to free flight. Pathed flight was the intention, but early in development it became quite clear that people wanted to have free flight. hence they scrapped path flight.
    Originally posted by Gameloading

Originally posted by Nightshade44

They changed it to free flight. Pathed flight was the intention, but early in development it became quite clear that people wanted to have free flight. hence they scrapped path flight. Excellent. Yes after some research after reading this forum, I learned about the free flight and even aerial combat mechanics of this game, I must say I am now thoroughly intrigued by this title.

• AyaseAyase Aion Community CoordinatorMember Posts: 118
    I think that saying there will be absolutely no grind is taking this a little bit too far... They will definitely reduce it greatly and present the player with many more ways of gaining experience, but it's not going to be non-existant. I find it exceptionally hard to believe it would become like Guild Wars in that sense.

(And this is a good thing!)

---
    Sebastian Streiffert
    Community Representative - Aion

Follow my twitter! aion_ayase
    * In order to cover my back, things I write are of course subject to change.

From what I understand it's going to be more of a quest-driven "grind" (western) rather than a hack'n'slash grind (eastern), correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's what I've heard.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

There will be no level grinding, or very little from what I heard. It will be more like western MMO's with quests and such...yay.

More and more of the Eastern MMO's are taking to the lesser grind here in the future, I like it.

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558
    Originally posted by ayase

I think that saying there will be absolutely no grind is taking this a little bit too far... They will definitely reduce it greatly and present the player with many more ways of gaining experience, but it's not going to be non-existant. I find it exceptionally hard to believe it would become like Guild Wars in that sense.

(And this is a good thing!)
    Saying "No level grinding" is not the same thing as "no grinding".  It sounds like we have different type of grinding.
  • sketchy_sketchy_ Member UncommonPosts: 137
    I don't really understand what players have against level grinding? ... I'd rather spend time on leveling instead of running around in some stupid instance (*cough*  WoW) doing raids all day long. 

"If I had a d*ck, I'd go get laid. But we can do that next best thing... Let's kill people."

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by zethcarn

www.aionfuse.com/forum/showthread.php

This page has a lot of important information about Aion.

No Level grinding, Player housing, player run economy, A living breathing world that changes on the actions of the player, free flight and aerial combat, RvR combat, sounds good to me.

http://gameloading.blogspot.com/ - latest update: April 21, Subject: The 5 most overhyped MMORPG's.

My mmorpg Blog ;)
    Currently playing:

World of Warcraft

9Dragons
    Waiting for:

Granado Espada

Thanks for reposting this Zeth (and to GL for original). I had not really paid any attention to this game, but after reading the links in here I must say it sounds very interesting...   I especially liked this quote "but we’re paying more attention to the interests of casual users for AION."

So many Developers say this...few have delivered..... and the idea behind free flight sound fabulous.  I first ran into it in Shadowbane and became enraptured with it..and part of me trying COX was to get a chance to fly....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558
    Originally posted by sketchy_

I don't really understand what players have against level grinding? ... I'd rather spend time on leveling instead of running around in some stupid instance (*cough*  WoW) doing raids all day long. 
    just the fact I have played MMOs for years and they just about all have level grinding.   Some are good,  some are horrible.  I don't want the really boring horrible one.
  • SwanSongSwanSong Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Well if the gameplay is fun then it really isnt a grind anymore, isnt it? We'll just have to wait and see =]
  • TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905
    Originally posted by zethcarn

Originally posted by sketchy_

just the fact I have played MMOs for years and they just about all have level grinding.   Some are good,  some are horrible.  I don't want the really boring horrible one.

One thing you can say about NCSoft is all of their games come from a new fresh prespective unlike SOE and Turbine which basically rehash the same game ideas over and over and over. Turbine, using the same graphics engine since AC2 (2003) with some tweeks and different world settings, and SOE, revamping its games to make them more like WoW since 2004.

• KOrnfan4evrKOrnfan4evr Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by peenk

1. Korean game 

If its going to be w/o the grind it'll be somewhat of "when pigs fly" type of thing.
    THIS JUST IN, NEW CHARACTERS ADDED, THE HOGS OF THE SKY.

Sorry just had to post it, comic relief for all
  • EarleyEarley Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Originally posted by Gameloading

According to NCsoft,there won't be any level grinding.

Its best to ignore people like Peenk who rely on stereotypes instead of the actual facts presented to us.
    It's also best not to be in delusional. Korean games are grinders. It's totally reasonable to be dubious about a claim that a Korean game is NOT a grinder, or else why on earth would feature listed #1 be 'No Level Grinding.' Gosh, ya think that the devs are aware that Americans don't like the level grinding? duhhhhhhhhh

You can decide for yourself whether you like grinding or not, but don't be smug.
  • achellisachellis Member Posts: 542
    there is going to be grinding.. its a korien grind game.. but it looks nice.. but so does SUN... and L3 will also

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

No matter what they say, they cannot get rid of the grind.  They can disquise for a while with simple quests, for a long while with complex quests and a sense of purpose, but they cannot get rid of it.

Why you say?

Because grind is a state of mind.  Thats it.  What one person thinks of as a grind, another person enjoys and so it is not a grind.  It does not really exist except in our heads.  When your bored of the activity, it is a grind.  So there is no way they can completely get rid of it.

That being said, some grinds are easier to deal with then others.

Venge Sunsoar

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • achellisachellis Member Posts: 542
    yes very well said

• AtomyAtomy Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

No matter what they say, they cannot get rid of the grind.  They can disquise for a while with simple quests, for a long while with complex quests and a sense of purpose, but they cannot get rid of it.
    Why you say?
    Because grind is a state of mind.  Thats it.  What one person thinks of as a grind, another person enjoys and so it is not a grind.  It does not really exist except in our heads.  When your bored of the activity, it is a grind.  So there is no way they can completely get rid of it.
    That being said, some grinds are easier to deal with then others.
    Venge Sunsoar

Hmm, i'll have to dissagree with you. The state of mind you explain is exactly the opposite. If a person don't bothers to grinde, he maybe won't see it as grinding, and yet another one does. Its not a grinde, but the state of mind is a opinion. But that opinion doesn't fly out in the public. Because what the public see's as an opinion, the person itself may see it as his own fact. So what your actualy saying is that grinde has alot of different sub-levels. But the fact remains its still grinding. Extreme-Mediocre-Soft grinding is the basic principle and state of mind you are talking about.

Then again, this is my opinion in public eyes but still my own truth. So it would be a fact to myself, but a opinion in your eyes. These things are very easy to confuse. Since we talk about a game which is based on people, and it wants alot of people offcourse. The words grinding, and for example my story are just opinions. (I hope you can understand me)

• ajc3388ajc3388 Member Posts: 2
    you just butchered what the previous poster said  and tried to be as sophisticated.  guess what.  it failed.
  • AtomyAtomy Member UncommonPosts: 76

Well, commucation was and still is not strongest skill. So if this looks like i tryed to cut him off. It was never my intention. Yet what you say is a opinion, and the words you pick i could tell alot about you. And you still could suprise me. So please lets stay neutral, if i wanted to attack anyone personal i would had used another approach.I still can't tell if i am being rude, and no this is not ment sarcastic. I just have a hard time finding the proper approach.

• Focus*BankaiFocus*Bankai Member Posts: 219
    Originally posted by achellis

there is going to be grinding.. its a korien grind game.. but it looks nice.. but so does SUN... and L3 will also
    aion is going to be for the "casual player" while lineage 3 they are making will more than likely become a game for hardcore players. i hate how people come into forums and belittle games that they havent even done their research over. jus research the game some. u will find that its alot different then u think
  • PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293
    Originally posted by peenk

1. Korean game 

Rofl thats gotta be the funniest thing I have ever heard =)