Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Old Source" EQ PvP Server -- My Proposal

Fanguard2007Fanguard2007 Member Posts: 12

I have been to several forums and got a general sense that there is a population of players who have quit EverQuest many years ago and would be enticed to return to EverQuest IF SONY released special soft-coded PvP server that included the "old source" of EverQuest.  When I use the term "old source" i'm proposing rolling back the entire game to the days of rubicite armor, original EQ models/graphics, guise of the deceiver, 50 lvl limit and not extending past the original game (no expansions).  Many believe that EverQuest was ruined with the onslaught of massive expansions and "upgrades", myself included.  The reason that I quit EverQuest back in 2002 was not because I grew tired of the game I always loved, I quit because with the release of each of these massive expansions, the game simply became less fun to play.  Many of us who enjoy PvP consider it just as important as PvE in a MMORPG and all these expansions did was, from our perspective, severely degrade the fun factor of this crucial component of EverQuest. 

If SONY were smart they would invest a little money into creating such a server to attract a sizable number of players who are downright fed up with EQ1, EQ2, WoW and Vanguard, players who are simply not having nearly as much fun in these games as they once did in "old source" EverQuest so many years ago.  I haven't gotten into a MMORPG since I quit EverQuest back in 2002, i've tried all of these newer games and they simply do not compare to "old source" EverQuest.

The reason that I propose that this also be a PvP server is that the type of people who want once again to experience "old source" EverQuest are also likely to be interested in PvP, preferably soft-coded (FFA, no lvl limit, coin and perhaps even some item loot, can attack anywhere etc), i've come to realize that the less rules you have, the more potential for fun.  I haven't played a MMORPG since I quit EQ back in 2002 and would be willing to pay a monthly fee for something like the server I mentioned above, as would many other people who are in the same boat as me. 

What has SONY got to lose by trying to reach out to a population of players whom have long grown tired of what MMORPGs have become?  I want to experience the days of intense, exciting pvp battles for Nagafen's lair or massive guild wars in West Commons.  I want to play something a lot of us once enjoyed greatly which was taken away from us by greedy game designers who released one crappy expansion after the other, destroying the fun factor of pvp and the game in general.

SONY, please consider this. 

Comments

• Clownsheep22Clownsheep22 Member Posts: 38

Amen brother.

It's funny to me, kinda amazing too, the sheer number (if you do a simple search) of eq players who played back pre expansions who LOVED IT and would do ANYTHING to play, back like it was originally, again. I know, personally, that I would DO ANYTHING (even pay a bitch load of money monthly) to have that classic eq feel again. ANYTHING. And the funny thing is there's probably about a million people who have said exactly what I'm saying right now! And I'm NOT talking about progression servers, I heard those sucked. I don't want any expansions past velious and kunark (those rocked =)).

WAKE UP SONY!! Give us what we want!

Oh and Fanguard, I didn't play on PvP when I played EQ back in the day. I never really was all that curious but if they gave us the opportunity to play on original servers again- I'd try a PvP one. Even the PvE servers captured me in a way that no game has even come CLOSE to doing again.

• Fanguard2007Fanguard2007 Member Posts: 12
    You really missed out.  Nothing was more fun than having massive wars over dungeons like Permafrost and Nagafen's lair, the army that won the battle got to advance through the dungeon and take on the dragon.  The original EverQuest was small enough so that pvp battles were fun and happened often.  I did enjoy Kunark to a degree but would not like to see it in a classic pvp server, it's just too big. 
  • Clownsheep22Clownsheep22 Member Posts: 38
    So how do we make it happen?
  • Fanguard2007Fanguard2007 Member Posts: 12

This thread is the best hope for making it happen:

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=30225

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

As much as I bitch about linear, level based games...yes, I'd go back to play "old" EQ.  And yeah, I want the original graphics too.  Half the reason to go back is nostalgia and without the old graphics it just wouldn't be the same.

But about the only hope you guys have to ever see this happen is if someone sets up a classic EQ emu server.  Heck, maybe somebody already has...but if so I don't know about it.

• healz4uhealz4u Member Posts: 1,065
    Absolutely.

My only contention, and possibly a game-breaker for me, is PvP. 

I would try it but not sure I would stick with a PvP classic Everquest.  I played PvP on EQ but I never really enjoyed it.  Nevertheless, I am always open to new things. 

You are right on!  The massive expansions (the zerg-raiding) all ruined EQ for ME.  I would love to play classic again.  I had a great time just hanging out with family and friends in EQ and doing dungeons and so forth.  The world felt genuine and authentic.

Edit: I think the progression servers were a failure (although I currently play on Combine until May 4th) because they released expansions too fast and seemingly encouraged zerg-raiding.  People strongly want a Pre-PoP (many also want Pre-Luclin) server.