Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reclamation: New Game Announced!

AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Lyra Studios has just announced that they are developing another MMORPG titled "Reclamation."  This game will be featured in the Dream City of Underlight and will be a game focused on the "true role-playing" experience.  Here are a few screens from the alpha version:

You can view all 9 screen shots in our gallery.  You can also get a basic overview of the game right here.  Below is the official press release from Lyra Studios:

Los Angeles, CA, May 25, 2004 - Lyra Studios announced today that they are in the pre-alpha stages of a new MMORPG they have titled Reclamation. This game promises many things that previously were rare or unheard of in the genre. Reclamation is first and foremost a role-playing game, where you are encouraged and rewarded for playing your character.

"Our goal is to create, promote and foster a dynamic role-playing environment, where characters are someone and where their actions truly matter. We are aiming to create small tight knit communities, where role-playing is enforced and where players are given frequent and meaningful role-playing opportunities not found in other games." ~Jason Kramer, Producer of Reclamation

Reclamation takes place in the Dream City of Underlight, a place accessable only to those who have a rare ability to be Awakened. Here Dreamers roam in a world shared only with Nightmares. A world apart from the body, where strength of mind takes precedence over strength of body. Here you are what you wish. Teach, rule, learn, fight, but above all... Dream.

Details have been released at the official Reclamation website: ( http://www.reclamationgame.com ), and more will follow each week. To keep up to date with all new information about the world of Reclamation, sign up for the Reclamation Newsletter ( http://www.reclamationgame.com/195.0.html ).

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

Comments

• MagpieMagpie Member Posts: 63

At last a game to focus on Role Play.  There's enough hardcore RPers to fund it lets just hope they don't build a stinker.

Magpie

There are only 10 types of programmers. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

There are only 10 types of programmers. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

• ZnithZnith Member Posts: 212
    Is this the remake of Underlight, the game I played many many years ago by Lyra Studios?  Some of the screens sure are reminiscent of the old game and so are the dreamers/awakened   http://www.underlight.com

• MaximaneMaximane Member CommonPosts: 625

Pure role-playing...

*sniffle*

::::16::

It is so beautiful...

--------------------
    Alex "Maximane" De Line
    - MMORPG.COM Staff -

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

What does pure role-playing mean?

/ooc hey anyone else like britney spears?

.... you have been disconnected ....

Your account has now been locked becuase your a dolt, please do not come back again, we don't want you. Have a nice day!

If only it worked that way, but no company would be so harsh to paying customers. Alas, it means nothing.

-=-=-=-=-
    "We're a game that's focused on grouping and on solo play, you know, more group oriented, more solo play..."
    John Blakely Senior lead for EQ2. Link

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

• SyferSyfer Member Posts: 2

Clever_Glove,

Actually, your example is probably closer to the truth than you believe in terms of the enforced roleplaying.

I've been playing Underlight upwards of five years (or somewhere in that ungodly amount of time), and it's just simple: anything that is out of character is a -big- no no. There is an in-game cheat report function to report OOC behavior, which the Lyra team reacts to swiftly. There are a number of things that are done to ensure that the roleplaying is always the most important thing: warnings, docking of XP, suspensions, and if the matter is bad enough, terminations.

So, yes: the roleplaying is going to be there, their statements are real, and there is, quite simply, going to be no other game that you can immerse yourself in so much roleplaying potential.

However, I can sit here and beat it to death and tell you that what they say is true, but you can either check out Underlight or wait for Reclamation and have it be proven to you.

• zide56zide56 Member Posts: 356

At last, a massively multiplayer online roleplaying game...

• LordDaemonLordDaemon Member Posts: 68
    oooooh nice a game that will be actually role playing, finally this will be cool i love to roleplay woo play your character the way he was made to be played or go home

• DustyBallzDustyBallz Member Posts: 152

Finally, an answer to my question!!

MMORPG -- Where's the RP?

Originally posted by Syfer

Clever_Glove,
    Actually, your example is probably closer to the truth than you believe in terms of the enforced roleplaying.
    I've been playing Underlight upwards of five years (or somewhere in that ungodly amount of time), and it's just simple: anything that is out of character is a -big- no no. There is an in-game cheat report function to report OOC behavior, which the Lyra team reacts to swiftly. There are a number of things that are done to ensure that the roleplaying is always the most important thing: warnings, docking of XP, suspensions, and if the matter is bad enough, terminations.
    So, yes: the roleplaying is going to be there, their statements are real, and there is, quite simply, going to be no other game that you can immerse yourself in so much roleplaying potential.
    However, I can sit here and beat it to death and tell you that what they say is true, but you can either check out Underlight or wait for Reclamation and have it be proven to you.

Nothing personal, but this is difficult to believe. I'm sure you heard the expression "The customer is always right". If someone want to pay 15 bucks a month and not RP, I can't think of a reason for a company to not want the the money. You don't make a living turning away customers.

I like the idea, if they can pull it off I would probably even endorse it. It's difficult to see this as a working business model.

-=-=-=-=-
    "We're a game that's focused on grouping and on solo play, you know, more group oriented, more solo play..."

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

Originally posted by Clever_Glove

Nothing personal, but this is difficult to believe. I'm sure you heard the expression "The customer is always right". If someone want to pay 15 bucks a month and not RP, I can't think of a reason for a company to not want the the money. You don't make a living turning away customers.

I like the idea, if they can pull it off I would probably even endorse it. It's difficult to see this as a working business model.

-=-=-=-=-

If people want to pay their $15 a month to grief other players, then companies shouldn't ban them? I think if a company wants to attract the RPers and have a real RP game, then they will have to treat OOC as griefing. So yes, I can see them banning a paying customer who refuses to abide by the rules in order to keep their target demographic happy.

image image

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

It looks like most of the really positive comments on the Hype-meter for this are from Underlight players. If you liked Underlight, you'll probably like Reclamation. If you didn't get Underlight, chances are probably good that this will baffle you too.  I had a good time in Underlight, myself. I loved interacting with others on that level.

There really wasn't much ooc going on in Underlight, because people were specifically paying their $10 a month in order to play a game that they knew up front was RP enforced. And then there were the previously mentioned penalties.

Basically, it looks like they are going with what worked in the previous game. If they draw in a good RP community, it will be something special. This is a niche game, not a mass market contender, and I think it will do very well in its niche. It won't have the numbers of a big game, but it will surely have devotees.

~*~
    neschria
    Bludgeoner of Bunnies

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• DustyBallzDustyBallz Member Posts: 152

RPG Vault has posted an interview with Jason Kramer of Lyra Studios.

Originally posted by n2sooners

If people want to pay their $15 a month to grief other players, then companies shouldn't ban them? I think if a company wants to attract the RPers and have a real RP game, then they will have to treat OOC as griefing. So yes, I can see them banning a paying customer who refuses to abide by the rules in order to keep their target demographic happy.

Your pushing that to the absurd, a store would punt someone screaming up and down the isles, or someone mooning people as they walk in.

Few greifers are actually kicked though. I don't disagree that Reclamation might want Rpers, and they may try to punt the non-greifers. But that would be a difficult business model, they are beating there is a large enough RP only market to attract people. I'm skeptical, they may be correct, time will tell. And not a one will know the promises from the hype until the game is released.

If it's based on underlight, how mean is Lyra Studios to non-RPers?

"Generally speaking the only role-plays that are out of bounds, are those that involve extreme real world references, such as sexual rape" link

So how much different is that than any other MMORPG?

-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-

• Lyra-MikeLyra-Mike Reclamation ProducerMember Posts: 9

Hey folks,

Thanks a lot for the interest, support and the questions raised!

To answer the questions about our role-playing ideals, yes, we do support an enforced role-playing environment.  That's really where we differentiate from a lot of companies.  Anyone can say "Hey, here's a world, now go be a roleplayer" but we really want to support and foster roleplaying.  Our belief is very strong that a roleplaying game is more than levelling a character.

As far as turning down non-roleplayers, our first goal would be to show them how fun roleplaying can be to try and get them really involved.  We're trying to do something fairly different here, with roleplaying, unique theme and player-controlled gameplay as the real backbones of our game.  That isn't going to change.  That being said, I think it's fair to say we probably wouldn't turn down abundant amounts of non-roleplayers if they're willing to pay to play a game without being interested in remaining in character.   Quite simply, that's what separate worlds are for :).   However, we are and will remain dedicated to roleplaying as a key of what defines Reclamation.

Again, thanks to everyone for their interest!

Mike Fisher
    Lyra Studios, LLC
    http://www.reclamationgame.com
    http://www.underlight.com

• sae1604sae1604 Member Posts: 14

imageimageimageooooooo a role playing....not very excited because it doesnt to good.

but i can say that i cant wait until world of warcraft.

image~DARKELVES ALL THE WAY~image

"A Joint a day, will draw the stress away"

• BeowulfBeowulf Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by sae1604

imageimageimageooooooo a role playing....not very excited because it doesnt to good.

but i can say that i cant wait until world of warcraft.

image~DARKELVES ALL THE WAY~image

And one of our village idiots replies...

Interesting game image good luck with that

• SyferSyfer Member Posts: 2

Clever_Glove,

It still remains that he said the only "role-plays" that are out of bounds. So, you won't see Michael Jordan slam dunking in Threshold. Gwen Stefani won't be singing at the Dreamers of Light anytime soon. And in-game, you won't hear anyone talking about that towering home run that Barry Bonds just hit (unless, of course, you're wandering around with a friend and both of you are Giants fans, he might mention it OOC, something like):

Lyra-Mike whispers: (( WOW! Barry Bonds just really hit the heck out of the ball. He's my idol. ))

The OOC talk that occurs in game happens in whispers, and is clearly marked with the brackets to show that it is OOC.

More than that, though... with Underlight/Reclamation, you have to roleplay or you're just not getting the full enjoyment out of the game that is to be had. With the eight different guilds, teaching and an infinte other possibilites to play the game, you have to immerse yourself in the world.

As for not turning away paying customers... people have been terminated from UL for excessive OOC (and by excessive, you have to do something that's pretty remarkable that makes one raise their eyebrows), and they haven't been allowed back.

But, like I said previously, only thing that can prove it to you is the product. You can try out UL or wait for Reclamation.

• RJCoxRJCox Member Posts: 2,686

I'll be holding an interview in the near future with one of the Devs, I have a sticky post in the Pub to give all of you members a chance to participate in this interview. Simply post in that thread with some question suggestions and I'll pick the best to be used for the interview.

You can find the thread HERE.

Richard J. Cox
    "There were much of the beautiful, much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible, and not a little of that which might have excited disgust."

• ClarityClarity Member Posts: 1

Both Syfer and Mikey-poo said it best. Reclamation is based upon the same game design as underlight, a souly roleplaying enviroment. The whole concept might be difficult to grasp at first, but its actualy a very easy thing to get into. Roleplaying in a roleplaying game is what it's all about, and you'll be pretty suprised how easy it is to get into a character's shoes and stay there.

As for the inforcement of ic/oocness, in Underlight, lyra gives us three major rules before you even step into the game. The very first rule is "Stay in Character". Thus, we already know that if you go ooc(and by being ooc, I mean blatenly, not in a whisper to your buddy) you are going to have to face the music.(And trust me, Dagger isn't a good singer image )

When I started playing underlight, I was 15 years old. I didn't even know what roleplaying was, let alone what an mmorpg was (not.. that there were many out in 1998, but still imageimage ) At the time, underlight was on a 10 hour free trial. I was hooked after the first 20 minutes. I've played pretty much straight through ever since(minus this last year. Having a dead character is hardimage). If Reclamation is anything at all even remotly like underlight was for me, not only will people who thrive in roleplaying enviorments love it, but even people who like hack and slash, talk about the weather and the latest football game, gamers, will love it. Lyra studios makes it easy to get into roleplaying, and even easier to keep the enviorment and the storylines rolling.

I'm sure though, that you won't believe it till you see it, so as Syfer said, go check out underlight.. or wait for Reclamation to come out.. Either way, all your worries about how lyra deals with out of character moments will be put to rest image

~Clarity Rose~
    Devil in an Angel's wings

Originally posted by Lyra-Mike

Hey folks,
    Thanks a lot for the interest, support and the questions raised!
    To answer the questions about our role-playing ideals, yes, we do support an enforced role-playing environment.  That's really where we differentiate from a lot of companies.  Anyone can say "Hey, here's a world, now go be a roleplayer" but we really want to support and foster roleplaying.  Our belief is very strong that a roleplaying game is more than levelling a character.
    As far as turning down non-roleplayers, our first goal would be to show them how fun roleplaying can be to try and get them really involved.  We're trying to do something fairly different here, with roleplaying, unique theme and player-controlled gameplay as the real backbones of our game.  That isn't going to change.  That being said, I think it's fair to say we probably wouldn't turn down abundant amounts of non-roleplayers if they're willing to pay to play a game without being interested in remaining in character.   Quite simply, that's what separate worlds are for :).   However, we are and will remain dedicated to roleplaying as a key of what defines Reclamation.
    Again, thanks to everyone for their interest!

Mike Fisher
    Lyra Studios, LLC
    http://www.reclamationgame.com
    http://www.underlight.com

I would like to thank Mike Fisher for taking time from his busy to stop by and reply. It's always good to hear from the source.

Best wishes with reclamation, it'll be something I keep an eye on.

-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-