Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's SOE?

AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
I'm not up on all my MMORPG terms. But what's SOE and why does it trigger such strong emotions here?

Comments

• KapazoKapazo Member UncommonPosts: 107

Sony Online Entertainment LLC (SOE)

http://www.station.sony.com/sonyonline/

Why does everyone hate SOE?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/1342945

• feacfeac Member UncommonPosts: 127
    So$ are involved with everquest starwars galaxies, vanguard.

if you know anything about those games i need say no more :D
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Alverant

I'm not up on all my MMORPG terms. But what's SOE and why does it trigger such strong emotions here?
    SoE stands for "Suxx over Everything" they do.

In particular they are quite bad at community relationships, and that's the main reason why the community slag them off so much.

• flakesflakes Member Posts: 575

Sony have a game called star wars galaxies.To sumit up in short:They released an expansion for this game and made people "hot" to buy it..then right after changed the game overnight totally.And i mean TOTALLY wich made a lot of peoplemad.Loads of players left with an angry mind and among them are people who still post about this on a daily basis to get their story out on how they got fckd.Go to the star wars galaxies part of this forum and try the veteran refugee.You will see loads of posts about it still daily.People are so pissed about it that even after a year and a half or so after this happened they still need to filter out their hatred towards SOE.Anyway look it up.

Recently they released vanguard wich according to a lot who played it was buggy as hell and you need a verry good computer to play it.

To keep it short SOE is i think one of the most hated companies in the mmorpg commmunity.

• feacfeac Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Originally posted by ste2000

Originally posted by Alverant

SoE stands for "Suxx over Everything" they do.

In particular at community relationships, and that's the main reason why the community slag them off back.

and that is a under statement :)

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524
    Even if Google didn't exist, I can't imagine that anyone who's been on this or any other public MMO forum, doesn't know what SOE is. 

It's unpossible! 
  • AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857
    Originally posted by Signe

Even if Google didn't exist, I can't imagine that anyone who's been on this or any other public MMO forum, doesn't know what SOE is. 

It's unpossible! 
    nope, just improbable

You have to wonder what other acronyms he's missing out on...

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• Originally posted by feac

And why not say more?

All this stupid SOE hate - 95% of it totally irrational - gets very very old after about hearing it for five freeking years.

And BTW, Vanguard is a Sigil game, not SOE.

• Originally posted by flakes 

Recently they released vanguard wich according to a lot who played it was buggy as hell and you need a verry good computer to play it.
     To keep it short SOE is i think one of the most hated companies in the mmorpg commmunity.

No it is not. What you have is a small cult group that are bound and determined to hate SOE for all kinds of real, imagined, and mythical transgressions against humanity. According to the haters, SOE is responsible for every bad experience they have ever had with any game anyplace anytime of any sort.

And BTW, Vanguard was made by Sigil, not SOE...

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115
    Originally posted by Laiina

Originally posted by feac

And why not say more?

All this stupid SOE hate - 95% of it totally irrational - gets very very old after about hearing it for five freeking years.

Agreed.  It's pretty sad.  I wouldn't be surprise if alot of the people bashing SOE and saying "I won't give them another dime" are playing their games.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• Originally posted by TookyG

And why not say more?

Agreed.  It's pretty sad.  I wouldn't be surprise if alot of the people bashing SOE and saying "I won't give them another dime" are playing their games.

I know for a fact that at least a couple of them are, I have seen their posts in other forums.

The funniest post I saw a few days ago was someone whining about how screwed up EQ1 was - and the next line was something like "I played that stupid game for 7 years, but I told SOE to shove it"..   Uhm.. duh.. took 7 years to figure that out?

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

Originally posted by TookyG

I know for a fact that at least a couple of them are, I have seen their posts in other forums.

The funniest post I saw a few days ago was someone whining about how screwed up EQ1 was - and the next line was something like "I played that stupid game for 7 years, but I told SOE to shove it"..   Uhm.. duh.. took 7 years to figure that out?

Mabye if you had played the game you would have understood.  EQ1's  downfall was a gradual change.  It didn't happen immediately.  The game has 13 or so expansions.   People started complaining about the instant travel and the fact that 95% of the zones are ghost towns - completely empty.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Originally posted by Aelfinn

Originally posted by Signe

It's unpossible! 
    nope, just improbable

You have to wonder what other acronyms he's missing out on...

Actually I figured that SOE is too short a phrase to use google. I checked dictionary.com and since I didn't think people would use an antiquated term for a tub, I checked the acronym finder. Sony Online Entertainment was there (#3), but so was Secret of Evermore and Soldiers of Europe and State of Emergency. Any one of which could be used.

And yes, I haven't been here very long and it is my first general MMO forum (the other one I found was filled with ads for male enhancement causing me to disregard the site itself). Most of my activity has been geared toward general interest and the few games I am interested in. It took time before I learned SOE was something signifigant. I wouldn't be surprised if there are other things I am "missing out" on.  I admit I was probably living in a bubble with the one online game I do play. We all have to start somewhere.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

And why not say more?

Well I did ask why SoE invoked such strong emotions. I didn't specifiy that they be rational in origin.

That being said, was SoE involved in Earth and Beyond at all?
  • ArcheusCrossArcheusCross Member Posts: 793

And why not say more?

FYI vanguard is flopping hard, soon $oE will have their plans fulfilled and they will buy it from sigil. Its what they planned anyway by not feeding sigil any more development funds while in beta... come on, don't tell me you didn't see this coming?

Oh and by the way they are totally rational and justified. You must be one of those people that don't mind getting screwed over by people you buy products from.

"Do not fret! Your captain is about to enter Valhalla!" - General Beatrix of Alexandria

"The acquisition of knowledge is of use to the intellect, for nothing can be loved or hated without first being known." - Leo da Vinci

• OrionStarOrionStar Member Posts: 378
    SOE stands for "Satanic Occult Exploits" they phsycologically rape their victim's minds into giving them money.  That money is then later used to conjure up another demon(game) and take more money from their victims.  In turn SOE, will continue to molest and rape the pocket books of many more victims in the future.