Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Question Guild Wars Being On MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• lightbladelightblade Member Posts: 219

Any game can be listed on this site so long that it is an multiplayer RPG.  The "massively" part of MMO is just a marketing tool coined by SONY when they tried to launch Everquest.

There are so many games out there that claim to be an MMO.  SONY originally defined MMO as in you're able to play with thousands of players at the sametime.  But in reality, most people that play MMO only play within a fixed group of 1 to 8 people.  There's really no point for an multiplayer RPG to be "massively" multiplayer RPG.

• Originally posted by Akaraxle

Originally posted by LordSlater

Originally posted by Akaraxle

A MMORPG doesn't have to be persistent to be a MMORPG. Case closed.

Really? [raises eyebrow]

It's called MMORPG and not MMOPRPG for a reason...

Guild Wars is a CORPG Competitive/Cooperative Online Role-Playing Games acording to  ArenaNet

• VGJusticeVGJustice Member Posts: 640

Originally posted by Battlekruse
    Really? [raises eyebrow]

Guild Wars is a CORPG Competitive/Cooperative Online Role-Playing Games acording to ArenaNet

And you really need to look at my post on the first page. image

--~~--
    Play Guild Wars? Go here - http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Main_Page
    And go here for the new official Guild Wars Wiki! http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

• exanimoexanimo Member UncommonPosts: 1,301

Originally posted by lightblade
    Any game can be listed on this site so long that it is an multiplayer RPG.  The "massively" part of MMO is just a marketing tool coined by SONY when they tried to launch Everquest.
    There are so many games out there that claim to be an MMO.  SONY originally defined MMO as in you're able to play with thousands of players at the sametime.  But in reality, most people that play MMO only play within a fixed group of 1 to 8 people.  There's really no point for an multiplayer RPG to be "massively" multiplayer RPG.

nice , i think for people to have that feeling of being in a virtual world , games need to have those places full of people , its true that most people only play with friends & guildies ,but many play with pugs also. i like guildwars for that reason , the game is designed to help random groups form , the way you end up in a town after a mission or a quest , every new start point is a reason to form a random group , u get a new goal , new direction. and becose all 3 million acounts share one global virtual world , its possible to group with diferent people everyday almost forever. i also like persistent kind of mmos , and am waiting for them to become lagless and possible fast action. for now i think game play is too easy becose net connection doesnt alow a more arcadish game.
    this is why instances are gold for actual mmos , its liek cheating net conncetion , its not that the devs dont prefer a non instanced game , its that with instances u get a much better game play , so much better its worth losing the persistent unique graffics scenario world.

the future is both for sure , MMOFPSRPG

• Originally posted by VGJustice

Originally posted by Battlekruse

Really? [raises eyebrow]

Guild Wars is a CORPG Competitive/Cooperative Online Role-Playing Games acording to ArenaNet

And you really need to look at my post on the first page.

true

• Example303Example303 Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Telvannas

Well, it's not really an MMORPG, is it? It's more like Diablo 2, without the craziness and twisted storyline. Really, I don't think it should be on this site, Guild Wars took the MMO out of MMORPG.
    What the hell are you talkin' about. If you take a way MMO is just RPG witch means Online-Role-playing game.
  • Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428
    This topic should be shot out a cannon. So many people look at the GW forums daily and you just want to not see it there. Face it you pay for a MMORPG while people are having a better experience while playing GW which doesn't have a subsciption fee.

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

• CeylousCeylous Member Posts: 134
    hey wormwym try this out.....

CORPG is on wiki btw.. and yes I do consider Wikipedia credible...

look up corpg on wiki.....

might be good for ya

Is there an MMO that out there that isn't affected by Xao Ping Wang and their money grubbing macro bots?
    http://wow.stratics.com/content/features/editorials/mf/
    Just say no to ingame money/mob farming.... the site says it all

• UploadUpload Member Posts: 679
    OMG not again!

Originally posted by sven101
    OMG not again!

hehe , fun isnt it ? we are talking about the same topics for 2 years .. amazing

i think gw2 will kill this one , since there will be huge persistant maps in it

lets see what will be the big GW VS ... at that time .. i dont think wow will still be strong to even be compared with gw2 ... but who knows.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by BonzoDog

some people like beer so dont should we argue about that too ??

"some" people like beer?

You mean there's people who don't like beer?

Unthinkable.... heresy.... 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by neoteo

OMG not again!

hehe , fun isnt it ? we are talking about the same topics for 2 years .. amazing

lets see what will be the big GW VS ... at that time .. i dont think wow will still be strong to even be compared with gw2 ... but who knows.

I remember I started a thread with Anet's explaination. Seems like no-one cares about the truth 

OMG not again!

I remember I started a thread with Anet's explaination. Seems like no-one cares about the truth 

heheh , what truth ? fortunatly reality is not that linear

reality

According to the less realist trends in philosophy, such as postmodernism/post-structuralism, truth is subjective. When two or more individuals agree upon the interpretation and experience of a particular event, a consensus about an event and its experience begins to be formed. This being common to a few individuals or a larger group, then becomes the 'truth' as seen and agreed upon by a certain set of people.

my point is , ok the devs said it was not a mmorpg , that it is a corpg .
    but since they are 110 people , if the 3 million players believe guildwars is a mmorpg , then it is ... at least for them.

may seam stupid i bring numbers to this , but observing this problem from a 3rd person view , i wont say 3 million are roung and 110 are right.

becose there is no divine truth . truth is what people want it to be.

heheh , what truth ? fortunatly reality is not that linear
    reality
    According to the less realist trends in philosophy, such as postmodernism/post-structuralism, truth is subjective. When two or more individuals agree upon the interpretation and experience of a particular event, a consensus about an event and its experience begins to be formed. This being common to a few individuals or a larger group, then becomes the 'truth' as seen and agreed upon by a certain set of people.

my point is , ok the devs said it was not a mmorpg , that it is a corpg .

but since they are 110 people , if the 3 million players believe guildwars is a mmorpg , then it is ... at least for them.

may seam stupid i bring numbers to this , but observing this problem from a 3rd person view , i wont say 3 million are roung and 110 are right.
    becose there is no divine truth . truth is what people want it to be.
    As I said; OMG not again!
  • lx300lx300 Member Posts: 9

1- its online

2-free exploration

3-leveling up

yep (without doubt is a mmorpg)

im like anyother mmorpg player, with a 280g of memory and 4g of ram

• roninrblroninrbl Member Posts: 8
    As the matter of fact, all "rpgs" here are very far from the true meaning of real rpg. So if you question the place of guilswars here, you should question the majority of games here.

Especially some weak everquest clones, and wow as well, becase the neverending grinding and standing in queues for quests isnt fun. At least guildwars is not pretending to be one of them and grants the players the option of fast lvl up and getting skills.

If I want to be honest, the last thing I want to do is to spend months with killing mobs and grinding all the time to max out my lvl and gain a fair armor.

But If you think of other rpg elements (which are missing from guildwars) you have to notice that they are missing from the other games here after all.
  • kramtkramt Member Posts: 86
    Anet named it CORPG, so I guess they don't classify it as MMORPG. It's just so happen that Guild Wars is a pioneer in its genre. It is usually categorized as MMORPG since it's the closest to MMORPG and there are no other games classified in the same genre with GW by award giving bodies. So the debate will continue unless there will be another game worthy to be called CORPG. Til then GW is an MMORPG so long as awards are concerned
  • SerlingSerling Member Posts: 662

Your sig graphic of the one ring busting through the WoW banner is impressive, but highly optimistic. I played the open beta for several days and cancelled my pre-order of LoTRO. The graphics were horrible, the gameplay (combat) was static and very slow (a.k.a. boring) and the crafting system was complex and convoluted.

In short, it was WoW without the charm. I hated it (as much as I thoroughly hated WoW) and certainly didn't think it would be worth even $9.99 per month to play.

IMHO.

• BrotherGrimBrotherGrim Member Posts: 77
    Originally posted by lx300

1- its online
    2-free exploration
    3-leveling up
    yep (without doubt is a mmorpg)

So, therefore, Sims Online and Second Life should be excluded from this site, as there is no "leveling up" involved in those.  Diablo and Mechwarrior can also be played "Online" and, therefore, should also be included here.  I can freely explore the grounds in any game I've played that include a 3d environment- some even more so than Guild Wars (wich uses many invisible walls).
    Your definition is obviously flawed.  Check out the FAQ section on what should or should not be included.  It is much more complete than this vague nonsense.

• a_postos_3a_postos_3 Member Posts: 13
    GW is whitout a doub a MMORPG. It has all the requirement to be one and it enter the website because its a pretty good MMORPG and its recognise in all the world. You cant say it isnt a MMORPG because it isnt true.

Each world as a Dark side and a Light side... Each side are in war and only you can decide wow can win... But be carefull, if you chose the wrong one the world will disapear as well as the others... The fate of all is in your hands and together will shall win... The Darknes shall disapear forever!!

• VGJusticeVGJustice Member Posts: 640

[quote]Originally posted by Daerth
    [b]<Mod edit>[/quote]
    Dude. Take a pill, it's only a game.

Also, we get this a lot here. Better get used to it early.

--~~--
    Play Guild Wars? Go here - http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Main_Page
    And go here for the new official Guild Wars Wiki! http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428
    Look, GW is not a full blooded born MMORPG, BUT it has all so many features which make so damn close to making it a MMORPG. I do agree on the fact

that since it doesn't have a subscription fee which almost all MMO's but it was a nice change.

Developer(s) ArenaNet
    Publisher(s) NCsoft
    Designer(s) Mike O'Brien
    Release date(s) April 28, 2005 (Prophecies)

April 28, 2006 (Factions)

October 28, 2006 (Nightfall)
    Genre(s) MMORPG
    Mode(s) Multiplayer
    Rating(s) ESRB: Teen (13+)

PEGI: 12+

OFLC: M (15+)
    Platform(s) Windows
    Read it and weep:

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

• PrebThorPrebThor Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by Serling

I question you being on MMORPG.com.
    Ha-ha-ha!
  • ManmadegodManmadegod Member Posts: 501
    In my opinion (And I own GW) - I wouldn't put it here without dropping any other onlineable game here as well... GW's is a solid game but it's not my idea of MMORPG... Evidently it is to other people and thats fine.... but it seems more like a BF2142 game to me... Play the game with a few people at once in brawls and thats about the top of it.