Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wrong Era

InfEagleInfEagle Member Posts: 10

I think the one flaw with SWG is the era in which the game takes place.  There are no major villians to fight in the orignial trilogy era or major plots that players can interract with.  The original trilogy has its heroes and plot already set up, so there is not much for others to do. You can't very well go on a raid to kill Vadar.

SWG should have taken place before episode 1, during or after the whole Exar Kun story line, or in other words during the era of SW: Knights of the Old Republic.  The designers would have had all the content they needed, i.e. they would have had the liberty of making more  sith lord bosses, different factions, more alien races, jedi classes from the beginning :), and pretty much anything their imaginations could think of.  The orginial trilogy era doesn't really leave much room for alterations. 

What do you guys think? 

Comments

• Mr_ManMr_Man Member Posts: 77

Strongly agreed.

I can understand why the devs chose this era, since you can interact with every one of the characters and they were alive at this point, but that incentive is also its biggest failure.  You're stuck in a static, unchanging world.  I know most MMORPGs have certain characters that you can interact with and can't "kill", but the fact is that the environment (and the Galactic Civil War, especially) never actually changes no matter how hard you try.

I think having it happen after Episode VI would have been the best move.  There, becoming a Jedi makes sense, the Imperial Remnant is still around, and basically all of the EU stuff happens so you can't mess with the continuity.

That way, instead of being overshadowed by the Emperor and Darth Vader, a player Imperial can actually rise the ranks and take center stage as a fearsome leader.  Or, likewise on the Rebel side, a promising young Jedi can rise up and take on that Empire.

Is it too late to change this? :)

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by Mr_Man

Is it too late to change this? :)

I dont think so. It would take some major revamping but its not impossible...plus, it'll probably bring in more "ex subscribers" than the next Expansion

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• zide56zide56 Member Posts: 356

Yes, it is too late.  They can't change the entire world of a game that's already been released.  They would need to completely redo everything -- it would be easier just  to make a new game entirely.  And they're not going to do that.

The thing is, there are enough subscribers to this gigantic POS to keep SOE happy, and as long as they have enough cash flowing in, they aren't going to do a damn thing.

• JdokiJdoki Member Posts: 68

SWG should definitely have been set either a long time before Episode I, or a good few years after Episode VI.

Personally I favor a time after Ep VI. This way the devs would have free reign to introduce new enemies (a return of the alien race from The Truce at Bakura book anyone?), and it would balance out the Rebellion vs the Empire element. The game, as it stands, is very unbalanced in the way it portrays the Galactic Civil War - pushing it forward a few years would have seen a much better balance of 'Remnants of the Empire' vs 'Rebels who got lucky'!

Setting it after Ep VI could have allowed pllayers to still interact with the key characters from the series - it would also have given the interaction a better grounding - i.e. as the characters would be a bit older it would give a more sensible context as to why they send you off to do the work instead of doing it themselves.

Also this would truly have given players a chance to influence the shifts of power in the game. Who knows what might have happened after the destruction of the second Death Star - we may have seen the Empire rise again. And by setting SWG after the destruction players could be made to feel they are influencing what happens. I just can't see the fun in participating in something I already know the outcome of...

Oh well... we can hope....

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

I agree. I figure if they are going to have a million Jedi running around, why not make it a game that starts just before EP 1? There are PLENTY of jedi running around at that time, and like the original poster pointed out, there'd be so many more factions, races, story arcs, etc.

I 100% agree that this game would do much better in a different time period in the SW Universe.

It would do just as much better if it had a good dev team, too, though.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• InfEagleInfEagle Member Posts: 10

Yeah, in the end having the era be after Episode VI would have been the better choice.  Though I really haven't read any of the post Ep VI books, the dev team could have incorporated them into the storyline and they could have added the events of all future books. They could have even incorporated these stories as GM events (how cool would that have been?). The possibilities were endless; its a shame.

• VocooVocoo Member Posts: 31

I think the time setting for SWG is good, because during the times of Exar Kun you would have a jedi council and to be jedi etc. and it would have been to jedi based!

After Episode 6 would have also been a bad I dea, because we would all be facing invasions from Yuuzhan Vong and there would be almost no empire. There would be no galactic civil war and it would end up with almost no PvP.

They did think about it. I recon they did they best they could have done.

well thats my opinion =)

• Mr_ManMr_Man Member Posts: 77

The problem with setting the game pre-Episode I is the lack of the Empire.  Part of the fun of Star Wars is running around and mowing down Stormtroopers, and seeing them try to maintain order in the Galaxy.

KOTOR did well without the Empire, but in a game for the masses, they had to include Stormtoopers, AT-STs, officials in gray suits, etc. to represent the "bad guys."  Also, it was important to use actual characters from the SW universe, so it had to be set during the OT.

I still think post-Episode VI would have been best, because all of the rules could be broken and not violate canon.  Also, the Empire still had a strong presence in the wake of the Emperor's death.

• zide56zide56 Member Posts: 356
    Speaking of the gray suits, did they fix that Imperial Hat yet?