Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bethesda buys Fallout from Interplay

KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831
Well, Bethesda is making Fallout 3...no surprise there.  Just saw this in the news however.

It seems Bethesda just finished purchasing the Fallout license completely from Interplay for about $6,000,000 (they were originally licensed to make Fallout 3 - 5).

Here's the ticker, Interplay is now licensing from Bethesda to make a Fallout MMORPG.  They have to secure funding in 2 years, and the game has to be ready to hit the market in 6.

The News Posting at No Mutants Allowed

So, what do you think?  An actual Fallout MMORPG in the next 6 years?  Does anyone trust anything Interplay does anymore?  Do you think Bethesda is just going to wait-out the contract to make the Fallout MMO themselves knowing Interplay probably won't be able to secure funding for it?  Is the Fallout franchise doomed? 

----------
Life sucks, buy a helmet.

Comments

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586
    I'd say this is exactly the kind of thing the MMORPG industry needs right now.

Post-nuclear holocaust juicyness based on a solid gaming franchise, developed with excellent talent.   Blizzard did it with Warcraft,  I have equally high hopes for Bethesda.  And while  I think Oblivion had a few flaws, Morrowind was the single most enjoyable RPG I've ever played.

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• ArtaiosArtaios Member UncommonPosts: 550
    ive heard that with the fallout MMO a coupple of months ago

i think ist a shure thing but planned somewhere in 201x
  • SramotaSramota Member Posts: 756

Fallout MMO?
    Bethesda?

Hmm, I'll be careful on this one..
    Interplays special touch did alot for Fallout,
    while Bethesda isn't a BAD company,
    they have NO experience in MMO/Post-apoc gaming on the level Fallout would require to come off as expected.

But let's hope they pull it off, ME WANTS!!

Played so far: 9Dragons, AO, AC, AC2, CoX, DAoC, DF, DnL, DR, DDO, Ent, EvE, EQ, EQ2, FoMK, FFO, Fury, GW, HG:L, HZ, L1, L2, M59, MU, NC1, NC2, PS, PT, R:O, RF:O, RYL, Ryzom, SL, SB, SW:G, TR, TCoS, MX:O, UO, VG, WAR, WoW...
    It all sucked.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Recant

Post-nuclear holocaust juicyness based on a solid gaming franchise, developed with excellent talent.   Blizzard did it with Warcraft,  I have equally high hopes for Bethesda.  And while  I think Oblivion had a few flaws, Morrowind was the single most enjoyable RPG I've ever played.
    Bethesda leased back the MMO rights to Interplay.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,737
    Unless Fallout 3 comes out and rejuvenates the licence, an MMORPG coming out in 6 years probably won't draw much of a buzz... too much time will have passed....

But I'd love to see such a game made...

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831
    Originally posted by grunty

Originally posted by Recant

Bethesda leased back the MMO rights to Interplay.

Exactly

That's key here.  Any MMO in the next 2 years will be made by Interplay and NOT Bethesda.  Also, Interplay is nothing without Black Isle (may they R.I.P.), Interplay is virtually a 1-man company right now.  Any Fallout MMO made by Interplay is guaranteed to make Dark and Light look legit.  It will exist only to get the Interplay CEO out of bankruptcy debt long enough to finally shut it down (Interplay).

As much as I cringe to hear that Bethesda owns Fallout...I would hope that the MMO rights revert to them in 2 years.  I can't wait until Interplay finally bites the dust.

EDIT:  I forgot to mention that Bethesda will have creative control over any Interplay Fallout MMO so... maybe it wouldn't be too bad.  Also Bethesda gets 12% of any profits Interplay would make from it.

----------

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    The way I interpret this is that Interplay needs an infusion of cash just to initiate the development of a Fallout MMO.  They need a grubstake so they can pitch their sales talk to real investors.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • JadarJadar Member Posts: 300

As much as it pains me to admit, the Fallout universe is dead. What ever game Bethesda releases will not be the Fallout of Black Isle, it can't be. I hope it's a good game but I have no illusions that it will be anything but a shadow of the previous two. As far as a Fallout MMO, I've always thought that there was game there, very much a niche game. After all there are no elves and no magic. I think it next to impossible that Interplay will be able to get funding for the game anyway. I've decided to content myself with Fallen Earth. But I'm not holding my breath, waiting for that title either.

• Here's the original SEC filing for the Interplay Fallout MMOG.

The stated preproduction budget for the Fallout MMOG is $5 million...so Interplay sells the Fallout IP to Bethesda for $5, 750, 000. but retains the rights to make a Fallout MMOG...in exchange for 12% of the profit.

Interplay now has it's preproduction budget covered...

WhaaHoo!!
    Originally posted by poopypants

Here's the original SEC filing for the Interplay Fallout MMOG.

The stated preproduction budget for the Fallout MMOG is $5 million...so Interplay sells the Fallout IP to Bethesda for $5, 750, 000. but retains the rights to make a Fallout MMOG...in exchange for 12% of the profit.

WhaaHoo!!
    Is it just me, or did that seem incredibly amateurish?  Read through it...some of the stuff written is laughable. 

And a $75,000,000 budget...that's on par with WoW's cost.

Seriously...if I didn't know better that almost seems fake.

EDIT:

WTH does this phrase mean?  Are they claiming to be the first Western MMO developers or am I missing something?  Because, unless I'm mistaken Blizzard is located in California and Norway was still "The West" (Funcom).  Maybe I'm misreading it
    "Interplay  will  effectively be the first MMOG pure play western public
    company
    "

----------

• UbberGooberUbberGoober Member Posts: 247
    Interplay needs to die, I would love for Bethseida to make the Fallout MMO. I played Oblivion and morrowind and those games rocked, it's too bad that Bethseida made that pact with them; they should have not allowed interplay to make the MMO after interplay sold them the rights to it.
  • BattleFelonBattleFelon Member UncommonPosts: 483
    Well, at least we can look forward to a quality Fallout 3. As much as I like the idea of a Fallout MMOG, I don't see it happening. Earlier posters have already pointed out the logistical problems of bringing it to market, so I'll bring up some of the other factors that are against it being a success.  First, the world of Fallout is a pretty nasty place where people do all kinds of underhanded things to each other. The only game I think comes close to capturing that feel is Sociolotron and maybe Eve - both of which are niche games. The vast majority of casual gamers are not going to want to be sold into slavery or forcibly mutated, though having a toned-down "WOW carebear" version of the world would also not feel right. Maybe if Age of Conan succeeds at balancing fun, player competition, and mature content then Fallout has a chance. Secondly, post-apocalyptic MMOGs don't have a good success record. While I could see a game like Fallout being possibly successful, it would be going against the grain in a genre dominated by fantasy games. This means both investors and players would be more wary of getting involved, thinking to themselves "Is this another Auto Assault?"
  • Originally posted by Korusus

Originally posted by poopypants

Here's the original SEC filing for the Interplay Fallout MMOG.

WhaaHoo!!
    Is it just me, or did that seem incredibly amateurish?  Maybe Interplay hired an amateur lawyer to write it...like my cousin Vinny  Read through it...some of the stuff written is laughable. 

And a $75,000,000 budget...that's on par with WoW's cost. Yeah, I hope their budget is bigger than that too...I'd hate to have another WoW floating around, especially a post-apocalyptic one!

Seriously...if I didn't know better that almost seems fake.

EDIT:

WTH does this phrase mean?  Are they claiming to be the first Western MMO developers or am I missing something?  Because, unless I'm mistaken Blizzard is located in California and Norway was still "The West" (Funcom).  Maybe I'm misreading it
    "Interplay  will  effectively be the first MMOG pure play western public
    company
    " I think they mean that they are the only publicly traded western company to run only a MMOG.
  • DarwynFOURDarwynFOUR Member Posts: 55
    hah

Fallout MMO, don't get your hopes up.

It's never happening.Can't believe Herve is still talking about that MMO lol, he's hilarious.

Anyways the fallout IP is as good as dead to me.
  • cadebelocadebelo Member Posts: 54
    I should be busy with my WH40k mmo by then, so I'm not so sure a Fallout mmo could pull me away from that.....

• illuvatarilluvatar Member Posts: 26
    I'd really love to see a Fallout MMO with the same isometric point of view as the Black Isle (c)RPG's, but it's just not gonna happen. Firstly because the project will never see the light of day (Interplay's current CEO is an ass and not a gamer), BI is no more, and all the talent involved is now working elsewhere.

And even *if* there will be a Fallout MMO, it will probably be a cookie cutter, post nucleair WoW wannabe MMO, because Interplay can't afford any (financial) risks. Alas.
  • HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Hey, give ´em a chance. Interplay made the first post-nuclear RPG. ^^

• illuvatarilluvatar Member Posts: 26
    It's a shame that the people that actually made that great game all left the company though. :)
  • MehjrianMehjrian Member Posts: 127
    I would love to see a Fallout MMO, if did right of course. The MMO scene really needs a change of pace, as there are way too many fantasy-ish ones planned. Sci-fi needs some love me thinks. Off subject ... why o why did they make Shadowrun a first person shooter? It would have been so well as an RPG, much like nwn, or something like that.
    Originally posted by Mehjrian

Off subject ... why o why did they make Shadowrun a first person shooter? It would have been so well as an RPG, much like nwn, or something like that.
    Same reason Fallout 3 will likely be a FPS.  Greedy developers and publishers like to rape old classics.

----------

• MehjrianMehjrian Member Posts: 127
    Sigh. That really does make me sad. I wish developers would listen to what players want, and not just assume. But then again, like you said, greedy. Tailor it for the biggest niche of players, and insta-money. Ahh well.