Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

should I start again?

The_Boo_CatThe_Boo_Cat Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 157
Hi, just looking for some advice.
I used to play UO about 9 years ago and stayed with the game for a few years, it's the only game that has ever really held my attention and I only left as I lost my internet connection.
I dipped in again 4 years ago and found much had changed but I still really enjoyed the game but lost my internet connection again.
I'm in a bit of a gaming funk at the minute and am seriously thinking about rejoining.
I really like games with good communities and economies and I even liked UO's graphics.
I guess what I'm asking is whether it's worth getting back into?

Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the reviews of MMORPG.com or its management.

Neil Thompson
Staff Writer
MMORPG.com

Comments

• WarsongLSWarsongLS Member Posts: 37

Sure why not give it a try again?  I have played since 1998, never had my account inactive.  There has been many changes, some good some bad.  But I still enjoy my time in UO.

So welcome back?

• The_Boo_CatThe_Boo_Cat Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 157
    What's the economy like now? When I used to play there was always a few smiths around Brit forge, Does everyone have a mule now or do people still rely on others?
    What's the best advice for a returnee?

Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the reviews of MMORPG.com or its management.

Neil Thompson
    Staff Writer
    MMORPG.com

• ManmadegodManmadegod Member Posts: 501
    Man, I used to love Ultima Online... All of the expansions made just to sell expansions ruined this game... EA ftl...

In fact if this game were still pre tram - I would still be murdering there... And fighting murderers :)

The economy is screwed the main things that still sell are resoucres (ingots, woods, leathers) things like that which people consume.

As far as mules go. yeah must people that have played for a time have them.  Blacksmiths hanging at forges that is just a memory from the past.  If you do not have a blacksmith to repair your armor you can usually buy repair deeds off player vendors now.  Unless you play on a smaller shard (population wise), But I know that I have seen them for sale on Lake Superior.

My best advice?  if you have a completed old school character (ie 7x gm) you will most likely want to tweak it somewhat, thats gonna take awhile to earn gold for the powerscrolls.

If you were heavy into pvp -- I would not bother -- they have no plans to correct the problems and there are many, nor do the plan on fixing factions at this time.  So only God knows when that time will be.

If you were into pvm or roleplaying then it is all good they added a lot of monsters/dungeons since you been gone.  Some are good, some are bad, some really suck.  They are new quests to go on now, they get really old really fast, but I enjoyed trying all of them out in about 6-8 months.  But I was not in a hurry to "win" UO, unlike most people that I read on any boards.

I would suggest that you pick up a 9th anniversary edition, should be $20 or less if your in the US, this will give you access to everything since you been gone except the last 6-10 patches.

I guess overall it really depends on what you want UO to do for you, and what shard you played on. I guess I have been somewhat vague, but seeing as I do not know what you liked to do in UO, when you played.  I tried to hit the highpoints

Oh and for the other poster complaining about too many expansions...Does not every game do the same? Heck EQ has 2 expansion a year if I recall.  WOW starting down the expansion road, you gonna bad mouth sony and blizzard too?

• ManmadegodManmadegod Member Posts: 501
    Originally posted by WarsongLS

The economy is screwed the main things that still sell are resoucres (ingots, woods, leathers) things like that which people consume.
    As far as mules go. yeah must people that have played for a time have them.  Blacksmiths hanging at forges that is just a memory from the past.  If you do not have a blacksmith to repair your armor you can usually buy repair deeds off player vendors now.  Unless you play on a smaller shard (population wise), But I know that I have seen them for sale on Lake Superior.
    My best advice?  if you have a completed old school character (ie 7x gm) you will most likely want to tweak it somewhat, thats gonna take awhile to earn gold for the powerscrolls.
    If you were heavy into pvp -- I would not bother -- they have no plans to correct the problems and there are many, nor do the plan on fixing factions at this time.  So only God knows when that time will be.
    If you were into pvm or roleplaying then it is all good they added a lot of monsters/dungeons since you been gone.  Some are good, some are bad, some really suck.  They are new quests to go on now, they get really old really fast, but I enjoyed trying all of them out in about 6-8 months.  But I was not in a hurry to "win" UO, unlike most people that I read on any boards.
    I would suggest that you pick up a 9th anniversary edition, should be $20 or less if your in the US, this will give you access to everything since you been gone except the last 6-10 patches.
    I guess overall it really depends on what you want UO to do for you, and what shard you played on. I guess I have been somewhat vague, but seeing as I do not know what you liked to do in UO, when you played.  I tried to hit the highpoints
    Oh and for the other poster complaining about too many expansions...Does not every game do the same? Heck EQ has 2 expansion a year if I recall.  WOW starting down the expansion road, you gonna bad mouth sony and blizzard too?
    Especially SONY actually.... WoW is aiming at 1 a year... Its the direction and flavor of the game that sony to a lesser extent but EA to a great extent change the game that makes them bad... Plenty of options could have been done with UO without adding elves and ninjas and samurai.... Neon glowing colors and just, well... retardation. thats imo - you are free to have your own.

Manmadegod:

Well what game are you currently playing then?

So you played a PK then?  I unserstand that you feel cheated out of most of your victims when trammel was introduced.  But it was always my understanding that most PvP/PK wanted a challenge out of their targets?

Or was I wrong and you just want victims?  Or is it a problem that since many people only play in trammel, it is actually harder for you to find victims in fel?

To be honest, I take a dirt nap almost everyday, on my resource gatherer (he has no fight skills) because I harvest the higher end resources (valorite/frostwood) and most pks know these locations at least on my shard.  So I am more than happy to give them counts (do not care if they are red or blue) and a bag of sending with at most 5 charges.

And at times I even take my gm fisherman out totally naked with just one runebook on him to recall back home.  Gee you would be surprised at how many dirt naps he takes.  But you are all looking for a challenge right? 

One of the things I loved about UO was the community which from what I can gather is still there.
    Like I already mentioned I also used to like the fantastic economy and it is a blow to hear that it's ruined...but maybe it will get better with the influx of new players with KR?
    I never really got into PvP but did like the PvM game...I had a fairly decent treasure hunter. I will be starting from scratch however as I don't have my old account details.
    I don't really play any game to be the best...maybe squash...more for fun so beating th game isn't a priority. However, that being said I also wouldn't want to find that I am so far behind everyone else that I can't afford anything.
    I would probably be playing on the Europa server...are there plenty of house spots now does anyone know?
    Thanks for the replies so far...you have been most helpful.

Neil Thompson
    Staff Writer
    MMORPG.com

The community is still there on most shards,  From what I know of Europa shard, it has less population than the US shards. So housing should be open.

Well since you are starting a brand new account, you are going to be "behind" because you will have to work up your characters first, then you are gonna want a house, then you are gonna want power/stat scrolls to tweak your character(s), then you are gonna need gold to either buy artifacts/enhanced armor.

I would advise you to not make an advance character, but start a new character experience, It will walk you through a paladin, necromancer, samurai and a few others. and it will give you some starting armor/equipment needed for those professions.

Anything else?

Just a couple more.
    Do you think the playerbase will grow much after KR is released?
    Is Treasure Hunter still a viable option?
    Does this game have much longevity left in it?
    Thing that's it.
    Thanks everyone.

Neil Thompson
    Staff Writer
    MMORPG.com

• Kruniac1Kruniac1 Member Posts: 11

Right, anyway, just join a Player Run Shard. Much easier, free, and old school OSI.

will the player base grow after the release of KR?  Personally I do not see how.  It is a graphic upgrade, downloadable only, there will be no box set.  Now this new client will be on the next box expansion the Stygian Abyss because you have to have to new client to go to the new lands.

KR might get some vets to download and reopen their accounts to look around,  I do not expect a big increase.

Treasure Hunter, well I do not play one, but they added in level 6 maps, and I can not keep those stocked on my vendor.  But that is because I sell them very cheap (1200 gold) cause I  could not care to gouge people.

I guess it depends on what type of T-Hunter you are mage/bard/archer/melee?  Have not see a melee type in a long time, but I know some of the other types that buy my maps.

As far as longevity? I think it will be around for at least another 5 years.  I have enjoyed this game for nearly 10 years now,  Yes I have hated some changes, had to change the way I play some of my characters, but overall it has been fun.

But it is what you make out of it,  many of the haters here and on other sites, just do not want to try to do things differently.  But that is for a differnet thread.

I look forward to your return to UO, no matter which shard you choose.

Safe travels - Warsong of Lake Superior

• PraetorianiPraetoriani Member Posts: 1,147
    Originally posted by WarsongLS

will the player base grow after the release of KR?  Personally I do not see how.  It is a graphic upgrade, downloadable only, there will be no box set.  Now this new client will be on the next box expansion the Stygian Abyss because you have to have to new client to go to the new lands.
    KR might get some vets to download and reopen their accounts to look around,  I do not expect a big increase.

Actually, I plan on getting Ultima Online after the Kingdom Reborn client is released - provided the animations are smooth and I won't need any third party software anymore. And I'm completely new to Ultima Online. I'm sure there'll be more people like me who really like the idea of Ultima Online, but were held back due to the graphics.
  • vengeful85vengeful85 Member Posts: 65

The player base should deffinatley see an increase with the addition of the KR client as well as a decent increase after the Stygian Abbyss expansion hits the shelves. There is sure to be some advertising and stuff done to help influence both former and new players to give the game a try. The updated graphics will surely help some of the people that need  graphic quality  stay interested,or  to atleast give the game an honest  try , the great content  and excellent gameplay in the pvm fields  as well as the option for PvP'rs is sure to be a hook for many new people that hop onboard. All in all i expect the game to be around for quite sometime to come  despite what the doomsayers and haters have to say (if we listened to them the game was supposed to be dead 5 years ago). So welcome back to what is (and always will be) one of the finest MMO's  ever.!

ps. I  LOVE my treasure hunter!  mage/peacemaking/t-hunter,  the newest lvl 6 maps are great fun, they spawn ancient wyrms, balrons,blood and poison elementals,and  titans!!  and each has a guaranteed minor artifact in the chest as well