Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tell me whats soo good about this game!

2»

Comments

• Pox/M|||COL|||TEMPPox/M|||COL|||TEMP Member Posts: 1

What is good about UO? Today, very little, 98-99, Everything!

I actually dont know much about the game today to be honest, but they ruined it when they removed precast, some years ago.

About myself, I started in the early days, some months after they released it and I hated it. Becoming increasingly better helped me understand and appreciate the game though. The more you learn in the game, and the more people you get to know, the more fun it becomes. I hate the Lvl'ing part of the newer MMORPG's, so this game did it all for me. Not having to play hour after hour to see that you're actually making you char better. Not having to kill monster after monster to gain 0.00000001 xp in 2 hours, but simply just have your friends help you to make a new char. IE make a 7xGM (DaOC Lvl 50) in 1 week or less , wow!!

Another aspect of the game is that its the skill of the player that determines whether you can do good in PVP, instead of it being the lvl of you char. Killing 7xGM's with a lousy 4-5xGM. My role in this game (when I played), was purely PvP-wise. No RP'ing here, just kill kill kill!!=)

Well to put it as it is, dont play the official UO, take the player run shards, those with PvP as the main idea of the game. Try it, ask someone to help you and feel the immense adrenalin rush fighting other players as Corp Por's, Des Mani's and Vas Ort Flam's fly through your screen, thats a kick you wont get in any other MMORPG game. Pitty I dont have time to tell you the story of the Europa Shard, those were the days!

Hope ive answered a bit of your question, if not just post another topic and ill tell you everythingimage

Pox, former GM of Majestic of the Europa shard, 1 of the best guilds in UO ever! (And thats a freaking fact!!)

• RhettORhettO Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by harmonica
    I haven't played this game in like 2 years and I know a lot has changed, but if it's even remotely like it used to be then it's great.
    One thing: You can't judge this game after playing a small amount You have to play a while. Raising skills by doing is funner to me, plus you can raise them with your friends by casting/hitting each other.
    As for it being hard to find your way. I have to disagree there. There is a radar you can use and maps you can buy from the store (and actually plenty of maps by now, try searching for UOAutoMap). Plus theres runes and a recall (like a teleportation) spell to go to places. But most importantly the Roads in UO are unrivaled. Theres signs to every town and all you have to do is follow the road. Not like DAOC where you take a road to nowhere or hop on a lame taxi and eat a sandwich. Speaking of sandwhiches... The combat system in UO is a million times better than this sandwich combat in EQ and its Clone's systems.
    In UO, you have to make allies. It's probably good to join a guild and they can show you the ropes.
    Bottom line: UO has a steep learning curve, but if you can learn it then you are in for the best mmorpg ever made. I played it for like 4 years and loved it, but even the best games get old after that long. Now I'm just lurking the mmorpg community waiting for a game that comes even close to the innovation that UO had.

Best post in this thread.

UO's PvP system is the best I've ever played in any MMORPG. Sure there are idiots that kill newbies for fun, but that adds to the excitement. I would get shaky and scared to go out of town when I was a newbie. When I learned how to defend myself from those types, it made the game even better for me.

• KragmoorKragmoor Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by steelz

OK so I started this topic to find out about this game and why ppl play it and all I heard was ppl talkin about the pvp aspect of the game and how they love killin noobs that dont know how to insure there stuff and thieving their stuff. I guess this game really does suk like I said except to those that get there kicks off of doing the above. ::::38::

Being an ex-UOer myself, from 1998-2003 (rip), yes...PvP is/was UO (depending on who you talk to).  From the very beginning it was always about the PvP.  Slowly that changed, then drastically, then...well, I'll let the people still playing answer that.

UO was more than that though, regardless of the senseless killing of noobs (*sniff* the memories), it was about community.  I don't believe any MMO has been able to match the sense of community this game provided and still provides to this day.  The friendships forged through this game are some that I still keep up with to this day.  No other game has done this for me, ever (not even little league baseball when I was a kid, bunch of whiney babies they all were). 

This game was meant for more than just the little avatars running across the screen.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem you gave it enough time to see past the graphics and other things you didn't like.  UO can't be loved in a week or a month, it takes time.  Time to gain trust and make friends, time to build wealth and experience, time to place your first house, make your first million, your first player-kill, your first GM skill, time to feel these things first hand.  This is why I played, period.

And there is more, so much more.  I'm sure us old timers could go on forever about the countless horrific, funny, weird, and plain stupid things we have experienced throughout the years, but I think you have all sides now.

You decide now...

• galefan2004galefan2004 Member Posts: 127
    In a word: NOTHING! The game sucks and is a complete waste of money. Play something that doesn't suck if you actually want to enjoy your online gaming experience.

Oh and WoW will kick UXOs but. I will never buy another game from Orgin. Orgin and EA have a huge customer relations problem. Get used to double billing, billing after cancelation of the account and customer representatives that have either no idea what the hell they are doing or just don't care enough to help the players out. If UXO wasnt new from OSI I would say it looks awesome, but having dealt with OSI for 2 years it will not be on my play list.

Steelz,

You mean people that get their kicks from being 12 year old immature pricks. Yeah UO caters to immaturity. Most of the people that play either play for the chat aspect or to beat up on kids. Also, don't go there with PvP because you little kids whine just as badly when someone bigger and better comes along and rolls your a$$.

I must argue because I loved it from day one till I played for about 1 1/2 years and realized how pointless it was so I left for the first time. Then I came back for 3 months remembered why it sucked and left again.

Don't think I'll ever be stupid enough to give OSI another damn dime to get the treatment they give all of their players.