Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Clarifications (or something of the sorts)

TaimouTaimou Member Posts: 3
Ok, so it seems that alot of ppl are just commenting things like "man this looks crappy" and "there's swearing in the start" and all that without even knowing anything of it.

First of all, the game is made by one person, only one person has made everything in the game, that person has currently spent ~5 years into coding it and will continue to do so for years to come.

The graphics are what they are, because the person making this is not a professional 3D/2D artist, but a programmer.

Also the language used in the game isn't to be taken seriously as the person making this, is just making it as a hobby not as a job.

The gamemechanics themselves are based on MUDs. So people who have never even tried a MUD will be lost with the experience usage and such unless they know how to read instructions (which most testers seem to not be capable of).

So people please, if you only go for fancy graphics, do not even try the game, cause the graphics ain't getting upgraded for a long time.

If you are a uptight a**hole that can't take jokes and such, you neither should download the game.

And if you do for some reason get the courage to test the game, please really test it before posting "lol this sucks" messages (of course you could grow up and never post such messages at all, but some real commets about why it sucks), play to atleast lv5-10 before making comments about the gamemechanics.

Thank you for your time.

PS. You can actually speak to the developer on the game's IRC-channel and on the forums, if you have something to say to him.

Comments

• saebrinsaebrin Member Posts: 29

You -are- the creator of this game aren't you?

Coming to a forum and expecting nobody to criticize what the forum is about, is like going to a baseball game and wondering why those people insist on playing baseball. And some of us had to try your game, otherwise we wouldn't have known that it sucked.

• TaimouTaimou Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by saebrin

You -are- the creator of this game aren't you?

Coming to a forum and expecting nobody to criticize what the forum is about, is like going to a baseball game and wondering why those people insist on playing baseball. And some of us had to try your game, otherwise we wouldn't have known that it sucked.
    Haha.. No, I'm not the creator of this game.

I can't program shit, can you?

I can't even draw, not to mention create 3D-models, can you?
  • saebrinsaebrin Member Posts: 29

It doesn't matter whether you can make a better game or not.

I couldn't cook a fancy dinner to save my life, but if I eat food that I don't like, I'm entitled to think that it tastes terrible. It doesn't matter that I can't do better, I'm the consumer, not the producer.

• TaimouTaimou Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by saebrin

It doesn't matter whether you can make a better game or not.
    I couldn't cook a fancy dinner to save my life, but if I eat food that I don't like, I'm entitled to think that it tastes terrible. It doesn't matter that I can't do better, I'm the consumer, not the producer.
    Yes, but I meant as in can you even do what the game currently is?

And also, even as a consumer, you should be glad that you can get something like this for FREE.

I don't get people who are complaining for something that they're getting for FREE, as someone has used a lot of their time to make something and then gives it FREE for others to use.

Like in this instance Lamexi has used 5 years of his life into coding Gekkeiju and people immediately smack it as shit because of the graphics, even tho the game mechanics are something to be awed and you get it completely FREE.

I could understand if someone would have paid for something like Gekkeiju, then they would have the right to whine about the graphics and all.

There are lot of people who complain about things that are FREE.

I just don't get people like that. If I get something for FREE I won't complain be it as crappy as hell.

And if for some reason I get the urge to say something, I'll try find some contructive critisism, and not just "MAN YOU SUCK!" etc.
  • oblakastoufoblakastouf Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by Taimou

Ok, so it seems that alot of ppl are just commenting things like "man this looks crappy" and "there's swearing in the start" and all that without even knowing anything of it.

First of all, the game is made by one person, only one person has made everything in the game, that person has currently spent ~5 years into coding it and will continue to do so for years to come.

The graphics are what they are, because the person making this is not a professional 3D/2D artist, but a programmer.

Also the language used in the game isn't to be taken seriously as the person making this, is just making it as a hobby not as a job.

The gamemechanics themselves are based on MUDs. So people who have never even tried a MUD will be lost with the experience usage and such unless they know how to read instructions (which most testers seem to not be capable of).

So people please, if you only go for fancy graphics, do not even try the game, cause the graphics ain't getting upgraded for a long time.

If you are a uptight a**hole that can't take jokes and such, you neither should download the game.

And if you do for some reason get the courage to test the game, please really test it before posting "lol this sucks" messages (of course you could grow up and never post such messages at all, but some real commets about why it sucks), play to atleast lv5-10 before making comments about the gamemechanics.

Thank you for your time.

PS. You can actually speak to the developer on the game's IRC-channel and on the forums, if you have something to say to him.

Agreed.

I am a programmer myself, I code in java, but... Its still the same thing, if you code something, anything it's better than nothing, so what if it doesnt have the best graphics, if the mechanics are there and you can move about , its more than half the fools here have ever done.

• nightwing70nightwing70 Member Posts: 142

lol i respect the dude who made this game himself

• BellaHBellaH Member UncommonPosts: 269

I personally play this game, I just recently found it, and I am a huge fan! People should really give it a REAL go..If you read threw my post I am a rather critical gamer, it takes alot for me to accually positvly critic a game. This one I find to be very interesting so far. I will keep you all posted. First of all you must know, one thing I find to be suberb, the fact the you can play as say a halfling or a goblin and fight giant creatures, and they have rather nice graphics. Another thing that I also find rather refreshing, the lack of the anoying "I am 733t" or whatever have you. You will find non of that here,  What you will find is a freindly group of people that are just there to enjoy themselves.

So to the gamers of Gekkeiju

And to the maker

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

I found this game a few days ago and have only played it a little bit, but for a completely free (i.e. free-to-download, no subscription fee and no item mall) mmo, it's pretty impressive.

The graphics are comparable to the almost free Minions of Mirth and the game is in a fully playable state, unlike Planeshift.

I completely identify with the game designer's loathing of "lollernoobs" and the way that has been woven into the game. It's a style of humour that won't appeal to everyone and which will probably offend trueborn lollernoobs.

The sole criticism I could make of the game so far, and it's one I read elsewhere and agree with, is that male character models are just fat female character models with shorter hair.

At least so far, players have been quite civilized. I've had several spontaneous invitiations to join teams and when in the vicinity of quest mob spawn points, people have very considerately asked if I was waiting to kill that mob before just running in and attacking it themselves.

I'm not sure why people describe it as MUD-like in terms of mechanics. It's quite unlike most muds - except Zombie Mud and Islands of Myth which both use an almost identical character system to Gekkeiju Online. It is, however, a character system which will be completely alien to 99% of mmo'ers and which may account for the very low rating the game has here.

Basically, everyone starts the game as a fighter, then later you can re-incarnate into a different race and/or class. The great thing about this system is if you later decide that you want to be something other than you are, you don't have to create a new character and start completely from scratch - you can re-incarnate into the race/class you want (with nearly all of your xp). But for most mmo'ers (even myself to some extent) it does feel weird to start the game as one thing knowing that you'll be changing to something else later.

If you're after a truly free mmo and don't mind less than WoW'tastic graphics, it's worth trying.

• SirVampireSirVampire Member Posts: 213

Ok, noob question :p What is a MUD?

btw, i play this game and it's nice :) was not sure at the start, but once you get the hang of it, its actually a cool mmorpg

PotCO player
    Ex-WoW player, hackers screwed it up and blizzard is too lazy to give a shit

• FeverfewFeverfew Member Posts: 120

I thought this game was pretty amazing. It reminded me of Everquest for the PS2 but with more( yes, more xD   much, much more!) features :D

The only thing that killed the game for me was the fact that there are only 6 or so players online at a time. That's what the "who's online?" list said anyway.....

I'll keep watching this one, but I think they should get rid of the "who's online?" list. It makes people wanna leave as soon as they get there....and that's not helping to fill up that list =(