Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So why do YOU continue playing EvE?

LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

Some time ago an eve Dev revieled the average player retention times for players was about 9 months. So i wondered for those who continued to play after that time why you do so.

Could only those who have played for more than 9 months respond to the pole those who are lessthan 9 months post the relivent responce pls.....Thank you.

Also if you have some other reason not listed in the poll feel free to write about it with the header OTHER So its clear to us all.

Comments

• MoobkradMoobkrad Member Posts: 308
    You forgot to put OTHER...

In my case, I enjoy mining. And fighting PC pirates that come bother us from time to time.
  • LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

Well the reason i didnt put other is it seems to only give you 10 options . Anyway i altered the first post of mine to fix this.

I do Enjoy small Corp wars a lot my corp is often declared on partly because we do so well on the markets usually. So as a result we get declared on a lot. A typical oponent is small corps of say 2-7 active players becaus of this we hardly ever get these lag fests the larger corps or alliances compalin about so these wars are actually a lot of fun and much more intimate.

This is most likely the main reason whi i havent noticed any effect from this BoB thing thats going around these forums. In fact i often ask people who i meet in eve out of curiosity and ask if they have been ffected either. 99% of the time i get a " T20 who?" kind of reply leading me to belive that most people havent even heard of this let alone been affected by it.

Originally posted by LordSlater

This is most likely the main reason whi i havent noticed any effect from this BoB thing thats going around these forums. In fact i often ask people who i meet in eve out of curiosity and ask if they have been ffected either. 99% of the time i get a " T20 who?" kind of reply leading me to belive that most people havent even heard of this let alone been affected by it.

The Market has been affected at least in Jita. Tritanium, Pyerite and Mexallon have gone up a little over 120% increase in price since the war started. I've been following the war from the outside, in game rarely anyone knows about it.

All those nay sayers are people that don't play or are deeply involved in the war and have lost a lot.

Hey pal, what's your name in game?
  • pihlssitepihlssite Member CommonPosts: 213

I got my own corp and I can play when I feel like it
    due to EvE skill systems.

this also give me less stress to login every day and I feel CCP is doing a good
    game and I realy wanna pay for a game who dont force me to kill rats or bugs

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Well the reason i didnt put other is it seems to only give you 10 options . Anyway i altered the first post of mine to fix this.

I do Enjoy small Corp wars a lot my corp is often declared on partly because we do so well on the markets usually. So as a result we get declared on a lot. A typical oponent is small corps of say 2-7 active players becaus of this we hardly ever get these lag fests the larger corps or alliances compalin about so these wars are actually a lot of fun and much more intimate.

What's your company and Eve Online name?

I'm Jack Target of Eve University.

• CaptRedHandCaptRedHand Member Posts: 54
    I'm waiting on the love to rekindle. Well, sorta anyway nothing else I've played has been worth a crap. I'll be sneakin back in-game soon. I just wish RPing was a little better in EVE.  Anyone got suggestions?
  • damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    you don't have my option - i can pay for gtcs with ingame currency.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

so, if i never hear about nuclear weapons, i can therefore not be affected by them?

if bob is supported by cheating devs, to include what? possibly trillions from 10/10 complexes being borked, god knows how many free t2 bpos, being allowed to crash nodes, while having player cap limits in system fights so THEY don't crash and them insta-lose BOD stations.... then how can you intelligently say that does NOT affect every player in eve?

by bob being the single largest/influential alliance ingame, then yes, the cheating affects directly/indirectly every person playing, much in the same way that nuclear weapons keep nations polite even though the populace may not know what's going on.

zomgwtfbbq indeed.  no more ccp viral marketing please.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

Originally posted by damian7

so, if i never hear about nuclear weapons, i can therefore not be affected by them?

if bob is supported by cheating devs, to include what? possibly trillions from 10/10 complexes being borked, god knows how many free t2 bpos, being allowed to crash nodes, while having player cap limits in system fights so THEY don't crash and them insta-lose BOD stations.... then how can you intelligently say that does NOT affect every player in eve?

by bob being the single largest/influential alliance ingame, then yes, the cheating affects directly/indirectly every person playing, much in the same way that nuclear weapons keep nations polite even though the populace may not know what's going on.

zomgwtfbbq indeed.  no more ccp viral marketing please.

Is true that everything is connected at some point. But it will not affect you directly if you are not involved in the feud. Some people haven't even notice that there is a war.
  • rebal88rebal88 Member Posts: 98
    OTHER

I like mining and the industiral aspects of the game. And more corp members RULE
    Originally posted by Moobkrad

Is true that everything is connected at some point. But it will not affect you directly if you are not involved in the feud. Some people haven't even notice that there is a war.

at what point?  if only 30,000 people play and 5,000 of them are involved in an alliance (as part of the alliance or pets of said alliance), and they're at war with another 5,000+ of the population; then you've got 1/3rd of the population directly involved in the war.

then you have producers/miners who are directly impacted (which are on neither side of the conflicts), i.e. demand goes up for many items.

while it's true that many people play games and do ONLY that... log into the game and play; and never read forums or pay attention to anything at all in the game outside of their cockpit; that does NOT mean they're not affected by major events ingame.  

it's like the ocean.  you don't have to know anything about water or the ocean, or believe in it, or even acknowledge it's existence; BUT, if you step into the ocean, you WILL get wet.

that's like if one alliance farms, literally, trillions of isk worth of loot.  the only way that does NOT impact others in the game is if they are in deep deep 0.0 and never have contact with anyone outside of their alliance.

at what point?  if only 30,000 people play and 5,000 of them are involved in an alliance (as part of the alliance or pets of said alliance), and they're at war with another 5,000+ of the population; then you've got 1/3rd of the population directly involved in the war.

then you have producers/miners who are directly impacted (which are on neither side of the conflicts), i.e. demand goes up for many items.

while it's true that many people play games and do ONLY that... log into the game and play; and never read forums or pay attention to anything at all in the game outside of their cockpit; that does NOT mean they're not affected by major events ingame.  

it's like the ocean.  you don't have to know anything about water or the ocean, or believe in it, or even acknowledge it's existence; BUT, if you step into the ocean, you WILL get wet.

that's like if one alliance farms, literally, trillions of isk worth of loot.  the only way that does NOT impact others in the game is if they are in deep deep 0.0 and never have contact with anyone outside of their alliance.

That was an exploit, and not part of the cheat. Those kinds of bugs always happen in this type of games. Those Plexes with the Big Mob reappearing each hour. Devs depend on someone being honest enough to raise a flag so they can fix it. That is if they didn't catch the bug when they were doing the testing. There is not much you can do in those cases, and yes it will affect the economy.

But that is not a concern of mine, which makes it an indirect effect to me. Economy fluctuates all the time.

That was an exploit, and not part of the cheat. Those kinds of bugs always happen in this type of games. Those Plexes with the Big Mob reappearing each hour. Devs depend on someone being honest enough to raise a flag so they can fix it. That is if they didn't catch the bug when they were doing the testing. There is not much you can do in those cases, and yes it will affect the economy.

But that is not a concern of mine, which makes it an indirect effect to me. Economy fluctuates all the time.

Interesting tho this conversation is i must politly ask you to perhaps create your own thread on this as this is a bit off topic and has a danger of atracting Trolls therefore De-railing this poll. I will say tho that the complex thing was a normal bug that DOES show up from time to time and it was sorted out pretty quickly when you consider this bug allegicly showed up last week when the latest revilations patch came out [Revilations 1.4].

Oh i almost for got to say that i dont really like reveiling my EvE name on a public forum as i valuse my ingame privacy. And thee is the consideration that if my game name was known id get spam mail from those with genuine questions and those who just dont like my opinions.

Interesting tho this conversation is i must politly ask you to perhaps create your own thread on this as this is a bit off topic and has a danger of atracting Trolls therefore De-railing this poll.

because the topic is why people still play eve and we're discussing something that has a direct impact on why a lot of people say they will or won't play eve.

yes, i see how that's ontopic and against what you believe.  viral marketing ON.

Well if you wont then i guess i cant stop you i just hope this topic doesant turn into some flame war in the process

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    I play because the game has a broad scope, where games like WoW pigeonhole you into guild raiding for loot, Eve allows me options, even though I am primarily solo player

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312
    I'm waiting for the love to rekindle since I burnt myself out again playing too much.
    Originally posted by Nicoli

I'm waiting for the love to rekindle since I burnt myself out again playing too much.
    Yep ive been there too i find giving eve a month or so's break tends to help. The number 1 sign i find that i look out for is when i start thinking a lot about eve that tends to tell me its time to return.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700
    Not voting

There's no "all of the above"

I still play EVE because it's a fun game and is worth my money.  As Erillion can attest if that ever changes I'll be gone like the wind, just like in every other MMO I've ever played.  I don't wear blinders to the games flaws or features.  I see it for what it is:  An online game that is a lot of fun to me and many others.

If it ever stops being fun CCP will stop receiving my money.   It really is just that simple.  As of right now I don't see option 2 ever happening:  If another game comes out that is more engaging and fun I will leave EVE for it.

I just dont' see that on the near horizon.  Nothing coming out in any kind of "soon" timeline has any of the features that I truely look for in an MMORPG.  I am picking up LOTRO but strictly as a 'servers are down' type game for me. 

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• F'larF'lar Member Posts: 60

the explosions.... I play for the explosions lol.

Honestly my playstyle fits nicely  with EVE and even after 2 years ( on and off) I still have fun with the game.

• apollo99apollo99 Member Posts: 55
    I still play Eve for all the reasons in the poll =P If Eve ever stops being as much fun as it is now for some reason, then I will of course stop paying money for it (a nerf to the Pvp system for carebears perhaps?). This is not to say I won't start buy GTC with in game currency though!  Currently I spend all that money on other things and can't be assed wasting that much in game money if I can afford it for real. I mean, what's the point of spending IGM on GTC if it means working even more in game for money which might stop you enjoying the game  (Exception being once I start making so much money 125mil is nothing)
  • HarutoHaruto Member Posts: 175
    I still play EvE on and off. Play for a few months, lapse for a few months. This last lapse though was at a horrid time. I missed my Alliance first moving out of Low-Sec and into 0.0, but I did get to hear a lot about it via the forums. For me, it's all about working on your ship fitting, finding the harmony that works for you and finally achieving that skill to fit what you want and actually keep it running long enough to matter.

I always had fun out in Low-Sec chasing pirates with Corp Mates. Baiting in Belts and around the Gates, occasionally taking out a Gate Sniper with a couple of stealthed ships going in to tackle while the rest of us wait to pounce. Fun times. ^_^

Eve Online, a world of infinite possibility. Click here for an extended Trial
    Dark-Wind Its War on Wheels!

• KryogenicKryogenic Member Posts: 663
    Originally posted by Jack_Target

What's your company and Eve Online name?

I'm Jack Target of Eve University.

I joined EvE University. It was fun and there were a few helpful people, but on the whole most everyone who was involved with Combat Maneuvers, which is what I was most interested in, treated me like I was a freakin mole from another corp.

I had just started playing the game and all the suspicion really turned me off to the game. It's not fun to be treated like a potential spy for months at a time. Although there was one guy, I can't remeber his name, he took me out ratting a few times in low sec and taught me the ropes.

• HarutoHaruto Member Posts: 175

Sorry you saw it like that, but the truth is... The way that EvE works, is that most all Corps/Alliances see most people as a potential spy when they start gaining an interest in thier local area of space. Spy's are a very common element of EvE, especially among any Corp/Alliance that is comonly war-decced for any reason. Spy's have infiltrated my own corp in the past, and spy's from our allies have infiltrated other corps to gain tactical information. Hell, one day a corp that had an active war-dec against us actually invited one of our members into thier fleet to try and ambush her. It didn't work, and they forgot to kick her out. Because of this we gained some tactical information and got one hell of a quote to put up lol.

EvE is a world where no one can be trusted easily, though even without trust a good few people will help out someone when they seem to be having some trouble.

Eve Online, a world of infinite possibility. Click here for an extended Trial
    Dark-Wind Its War on Wheels!

• SramotaSramota Member Posts: 756

You forgot the "We're all slaves to the ISK" option,
    which, speaking of which, is the slogan for our corp..

Played so far: 9Dragons, AO, AC, AC2, CoX, DAoC, DF, DnL, DR, DDO, Ent, EvE, EQ, EQ2, FoMK, FFO, Fury, GW, HG:L, HZ, L1, L2, M59, MU, NC1, NC2, PS, PT, R:O, RF:O, RYL, Ryzom, SL, SB, SW:G, TR, TCoS, MX:O, UO, VG, WAR, WoW...
    It all sucked.