Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massive Single Player on-line game?

JarloJarlo Member Posts: 221

I'm trying out the trial version of this and I find it pretty dang fun, but grouping or teamwork seems non existant.  I'm a 14 BH now and working up through imperial piloting as well and enjoy the solo play but there does not appear to be grouping or teamwork at all!  Sure Mos Eisley is pretty busy and the cantina is packed with buffers and some semi helpful people, but where/how do I find a group to fly with or grind/quest with? It just seems like a big empty universe for the most part.

Oh and I've tried broadcasting in Mos Eisley for any guilds recruiting new players and finally found one, but nobody from it is EVER on :(

I really want to play some non fantasy MMORPG's but this one just seems so lonely (I do play and enjoy planetside already)

Comments

• GravezGravez Member Posts: 249
    How dare you say there is noone around to group with!!. Ask Rainstar (who works for SWG stratics) or Obraik there was a heavy population server last week. SWG is making a comeback because its No. 8 on X-fire.  The biggest IP MMO in the world has probably 30k people playing, so how can you not find someone to group with? Howcome you can't find all these new people and vets returning to the game like everyone else is, according to some people the game is making a comeback!!! So there should be plenty of people to group with, you can do it!!
  • SWGLoverSWGLover Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 539

I'm also finding the op's post a little strange.......SWG has had a flood of new players with crowds to rival the old days.

Finding a group shouldn't be hard, the popiltion centers are crowded again.

• GravezGravez Member Posts: 249
    I know they are the only game who's servers are so full they have a big character transfer button on the news page because the servers are packed!! They're even doing a housing wipe soon because they need room for all the new players coming in!! Screw these forums im gonna go play an Entertainer and hang out with my Holoband buddies.
  • ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Jarlo

I'm trying out the trial version of this and I find it pretty dang fun, but grouping or teamwork seems non existant.  I'm a 14 BH now and working up through imperial piloting as well and enjoy the solo play but there does not appear to be grouping or teamwork at all!  Sure Mos Eisley is pretty busy and the cantina is packed with buffers and some semi helpful people, but where/how do I find a group to fly with or grind/quest with? It just seems like a big empty universe for the most part.

Oh and I've tried broadcasting in Mos Eisley for any guilds recruiting new players and finally found one, but nobody from it is EVER on :(

I really want to play some non fantasy MMORPG's but this one just seems so lonely (I do play and enjoy planetside already)

EVE Online probably has the closest to what you are looking for.
  • JarloJarlo Member Posts: 221

Yes the main cities are populated but it is all higher level guys.  I'm talking about finding groups.  There is no LFG tool, no broadcast channel, and most other teen lvl people I send a tell or chat to don't want to group or just ignore me altogether.  There does not seem to be any in game mechanism to make grouping easy or convienant. 

Also the Dead Eye Serum quest line seems broken.  I talk to the people and they say they put the LOC of the contact in my datapad but they don't, so I'm just stuck.

• EichenkatzeEichenkatze Member Posts: 340
    So theres actually a population to SWG now? I'll be darned. What'd they offer you guys this time? because i'm telling you now... they have no candy...

Everquest - 2000 - '02
    Anarchy Online - '01-'02
    Earth and Beyond - '02-'04
    Star Wars Galaxies - '03-'06('07)
    World of Warcraft - '04-'07
    Age of Conan - '08 - shelved.
    -Waiting on-
    Star Trek Online
    SW: The Old Republic

• naidasmelnaidasmel Member Posts: 9
    I'd have to agree.  After having spent 2 years grinding out to be a Master Jedi (Lightsaber and Enhancer) and damn near finishing Master Pilot, I just lost interest in the game after all the "upgrades."  What is SWG offering that has brought so many back?
  • ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Currently at the moment, most of the stuff you'll come across on the main planets is soloable, it's not until you get to stuff in space or on the expansion planets that grouping to do stuff becomes a requirement.

The other thing is that, at least on my server anyway, random groups aren't all that popular these days.  Most generally organize groups from within guilds, so it does pay to find a guild that is active during the times that you play.  Unfortunately, many people recruiting for guilds don't check to make sure the people they're recruiting play during the time the rest of the guild does, so it usually up to you to find that out.  The best way is to look at your Galaxies forum on the official site (http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/forums/list.m?category_id=41) and look at the sticky at the top that has a list of recruiting guilds (or Player Associations as they're called in SWG).  Look at the descriptions of each and see which suits your playstyle then email the listed recruiter.

If you want to announce that you're looking for a group, type /lfg and it'll stick (LFG) above your head.  You can find people in the area who are also looking for a group by typing "/who lfg"

• AgathuAgathu Member UncommonPosts: 39

Thanks Obraik for answering his question.

It's nice to see someone actually answer a persons question and not just make comments about how the game sucks.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
    Herm Albright
    (1876 - 1944)

• RainStarRainStar Member Posts: 638

What server are you on?

I may have missed it if you mentioned it so my apologies if I did,

• HamrtimeHamrtime Member Posts: 200

Its funny, Every month I run across a post or posts where someone states people are coming back to swg and the planets are crowded again. About every 6 months or so I resub and find the following.

#1. The population is worse than it was the last time I left.
    #2. The game isnt any better or sometimes worse than it was the last time I left
    #3. Content......still no new content
    #4. Bugs......same bugs as before
    #5. I get tired of playing in 2 or 3 days because of the things listed above.

Dont get me wrong. I want swg to be a fun game because I miss it. It was by far the best mmo Ive ever played and I think with the right people behind it, it could be again. But until it is, I guess I will do my biannual resub and be disappointed till the items above are fixed. Just my 2 cents.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

As was pointed out, Key 3 and thier moons,  cl 5 to 50 is all done pretty much solo. Later there will be some diversity in skills that drive grouping but to start everyone has pretty much the same extra damage special and a heal. Grouping as a form of combat provides no additional benefit and unless you are well coordinated may even slow down leveling. Unfortunately with lag, it also becomes a bit of a chore so there needs to be a defined end goal to grouping. Usually a badge or loot.

Honest, I never found SWG group intensive. Community intensive but not group so much. That's been my play style though. It still tends to fit the silent majority that play solo and meet up with friends to pool resources rather than just add bodies to a fight.

• JarloJarlo Member Posts: 221

I'm on Bloodfin btw, and sure there are tons of terminal missions I can solo and such but I usually play these games for the multiplayer aspect and I was curious as to whether I was missing something that encourages or facilitates grouping.  It doesn't seem like there is much that does that sadly.  I'm sure I'll still dink around solo when I don't fell like grouping but a game that forces/expects you to solo for half of your levels is not much to my taste, I can play single player games without a sub fee if I want that!  I'm paying the sony access thing for PS and Vanguard anyway so no extra bucks to keep this around for solo dinking around /shrug.

• RainStarRainStar Member Posts: 638

We can look back at all the pre-NGE whiners who said the game was too hard .  They accomplished quite a bit didn't they?

It makes me so mad every time I see a post asking for a  profession  to be nerfed or something else to make the game easier,  If players used their skills and had a strategy things would be better. Instead, they want the easy way that doesn't involve thinking.

With that said, there are still ways to have fun in a group.

Planning an event of your own that requires a group is fun. 

Not everyone can solo everything in the game, like HK for example.

Going on the Corellian Corvette is still more fun when in a group.

PvP is better in a group.

• panachepanache Member UncommonPosts: 397
    Hiya, If your new to SWG and starting again is not too much of a problem for you pick a European server. I returned to SWG last September to my old server of Eclipse and found it bloody dead!. I started a new character on Euro Chimera 3 weeks ago and almost every part of the legacy quest line i have run  into another person doing the same quest, and a lot of them new to the game. I started a new alt on Eclipse who is lvl 90 now and never encountered another living soul during legacy. The last thing you need is to be on a server full of lvl 90's that have no interest ingrouping and questing.

Pan

• iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143
    Originally posted by RainStar

We can look back at all the pre-NGE whiners who said the game was too hard .  They accomplished quite a bit didn't they?
     It makes me so mad every time I see a post asking for a  profession  to be nerfed or something else to make the game easier,  If players used their skills and had a strategy things would be better. Instead, they want the easy way that doesn't involve thinking.

What you and some people tend to forget that at ONE TIME you did not need to ask to be in a group... you got asked....

At one time Dath was standing room only, with a packed Cantina and lag from so many people.

At one time grouping WAS THE ONLY way to do most of the things you wanted to do.

At one time there was enough people in game that would help you or not ignore you because there were so many and each major city had a heavy population.

Right now your SEARCHING for people, to group with, be with play with and enjoy the game with.

Think about that for a few minutes and ask yourself why,  logic and common sense will answer that for you.

Go ask some of the players where everyone is..... see what they say, if anything look on the SOE boards as to why.

Originally posted by iskareot

What you and some people tend to forget that at ONE TIME you did not need to ask to be in a group... you got asked....

At one time Dath was standing room only, with a packed Cantina and lag from so many people.

At one time grouping WAS THE ONLY way to do most of the things you wanted to do.

At one time there was enough people in game that would help you or not ignore you because there were so many and each major city had a heavy population.

Right now your SEARCHING for people, to group with, be with play with and enjoy the game with.

Think about that for a few minutes and ask yourself why,  logic and common sense will answer that for you.

Go ask some of the players where everyone is..... see what they say, if anything look on the SOE boards as to why.

Lol, that's because everyone wanted to solo-group for the hologrind/village grind, which was a flawed mechanic being abused.  It wasn't that you ever needed to.

And no, I have no issues finding a group.  In PvP I just join/form one of the groups in the area and in PvE I go in a guild group. That's how it works for most established people in the game. 

• WagrofWagrof Member Posts: 32
    You can't find many people not because the game is empty but because its so large. Really, you could have thousands of people on one of the many plantes and they still would not run into each other. Just travel in a Speederbike from one end of the planetmap to the other of any of the plantes, and you'll understand what i mean.  There's too much space to make people meet each other outside Mos Eisley / Major Starports.
  • iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143
    Originally posted by Obraik

Lol, that's because everyone wanted to solo-group for the hologrind/village grind, which was a flawed mechanic being abused.  It wasn't that you ever needed to.

And no, I have no issues finding a group.  In PvP I just join/form one of the groups in the area and in PvE I go in a guild group. That's how it works for most established people in the game. 

Prior to this Obriak... prior.

You needed a group to take down a Krayt dragon etc.. you needed a group to get heals, you needed a ranger for camps, you needed each other and different classes... your thinking into CU, village which in turn was spin crap and so on... prior to that you needed each other.   (You know, when the game had alot of people playing it?)

Again... do not try to tell me or anyone it is like that... just because of your establishment.    I was very very established on Bria and I watched the server clear like mad when the NGE hit...  again,  telling me that groups are just everywhere like it once was is silly.

Nobody is that foolish.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Wagrof

You can't find many people not because the game is empty but because its so large. Really, you could have thousands of people on one of the many plantes and they still would not run into each other. Just travel in a Speederbike from one end of the planetmap to the other of any of the plantes, and you'll understand what i mean.  There's too much space to make people meet each other outside Mos Eisley / Major Starports.
    [snicker]  What, you think the planets just suddenly got bigger lately?  They were the same size when you saw hundreds of players in any major city, as they are now when you might see dozens per gaming session (if you go looking for them hard enough).

Originally posted by Obraik

Prior to this Obriak... prior.

You needed a group to take down a Krayt dragon etc.. you needed a group to get heals, you needed a ranger for camps, you needed each other and different classes... your thinking into CU, village which in turn was spin crap and so on... prior to that you needed each other.   (You know, when the game had alot of people playing it?)

Again... do not try to tell me or anyone it is like that... just because of your establishment.    I was very very established on Bria and I watched the server clear like mad when the NGE hit...  again,  telling me that groups are just everywhere like it once was is silly.

Nobody is that foolish.

No, it was Pre-CU when solo groups were rampant, that's why you'd get spammed with requests to join peoples group.  Yes, there were instances where you needed to have a group to complete stuff, just like there is now.  You do know the Village was around during pre-cu for a good time, right?

Maybe you should try reading what I wrote again.  I never said that I find groups everywhere, unless I'm PvP'ing.  If it's PvE, I just make/join a group with my guild and go off and do what I need to.  So no, you don't see many random groups forming anymore but that's not to say people aren't grouping up and doing stuff "in house."

• dandelo_19dandelo_19 Member Posts: 12

Silly, you can't find anyone around the towns to group with because they're all out questing and having fun! 

• sololocosololoco Member Posts: 542

You guys are obviously joking by saying there's a flood of players in this game.

I ws here not too long ago and I can tell you the server I was in was empty so don't lie telling some new person there's a lot of people playing this game.

I made a character in several servers in the 2 weeks I was here and never did I see crowds of people anywhere. This game is deserted and that's the truth.  Imagne that? lying by saying there's a lot of people here.

I'm a vet from before the NGE and when I returned I not only couldn't find players but all the money, all the credits I have which are many many millions, I couldn't buy anything because there were no shops around. All that money did me no good as I couldn't buy anything because no one sells it.

THis game which is not anything like the SWG we once knew it's a totally different game with the same name and nothing else.

Stop Lying!!!

• ManmadegodManmadegod Member Posts: 501
    No reason to fight over it - It's a cold hard fact that there are fewer players than in the pre-cu... I am one less, do I wish the game was the old game sure.... Am I Happy that Obraik enjoys the game as it is now, sure... Does he fib a bit to try and get people to play the game that he is... Yeah, but who here can say they don't... I personally think the game is a POS now, it used to be my favorite...  So, why argue about it? If you dont like the game, if you like to group and can't, if you are noticing boredom - Quit....

Seriously it's time to stop wishing and waiting for the old swg... It was awesome now it isn't.... I'll see the vet's in the next skill based game... Most likely...
  • ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931
    Originally posted by CasualMaker

Originally posted by Wagrof

[snicker]  What, you think the planets just suddenly got bigger lately?  They were the same size when you saw hundreds of players in any major city, as they are now when you might see dozens per gaming session (if you go looking for them hard enough).

I have to agree with Casual here.  I used to run into groups of people in the middle of the desert on Tatooine, hunting, camping etc..  I had many opportunities to heal and buff people out in the middle of nowhere and it was great fun.  On Lok there were huge PvP battles for player placed bases around cities, sometimes the desert there was filled with 50-100 people per side in isolated battles.  Many connected battles would be fought around star ports and shuttle ports across the planet.  Most if not all the cantinas were packed with multiple music dance groups, each having 20 actual players in them.  Fort Tusken was packed, Jabba's Palace had people going in and out of it like a bee hive, people were shopping in our guild city, hanging around talking in our guild city, hunting from our guild terminals, training up at our guild trainers etc.  Dathomir was packed with Rancor hunting parties, and Picket Bol hunting parties were everywhere, the Jedi Village was full of people working on their force powers etc. etc..  Last time I was on a couple months ago, none of the above was true: empty space and sadness, blek.  Those big empty planets that Wagrof is talking about, used to be big planets full of players (often working together in groups) and player cities that were alive with activity.  For those that never got to see it, you missed something really cool.

Arc