Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3.5 million sold tbc copies = Wow losing subs?

2»

Comments

• ZertyrZertyr Member UncommonPosts: 263
    WoW was many peoples first MMO, many have realised the crappy service and the limited size of the game and left and found other games that offer much more than WoW does. WoW tho holds a firm grip of many who enjoy a limited challenge with a no brain crafting system.
  • CiredricCiredric Member Posts: 723

"Pretty sure your wrong, before WoW, Everquest and Ultima Online kept growing for 4 years."

You really can't be that delusional can you?

I mean, come on, both had literarally no competition for ages.  There is an entirely different environment now. 

Look, even LOTRO has 600k+ presuscribers, bet a significant portion of them are ex-wow or wow players.

This summer and fall is going to bring out a bunch of new MMO's and guess what NO Wow expansion.  You are truely in la la land if you think Wow's customer base won't shrink.  The BC expansion was just more of the same, they did not address the casual player who comprises the majority of the playerbase.  If you don't raid you can only run the BG's or the small instances so many times before it becomes monotonous.  I think by the fall there will be alot of Wow players looking for something else.

• cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094
    Originally posted by Ciredric

"Pretty sure your wrong, before WoW, Everquest and Ultima Online kept growing for 4 years."
    I mean, come on, both had literarally no competition for ages.  There is an entirely different environment now. 
    Look, even LOTRO has 600k+ presuscribers, bet a significant portion of them are ex-wow or wow players.
    This summer and fall is going to bring out a bunch of new MMO's and guess what NO Wow expansion.  You are truely in la la land if you think Wow's customer base won't shrink.  The BC expansion was just more of the same, they did not address the casual player who comprises the majority of the playerbase.  If you don't raid you can only run the BG's or the small instances so many times before it becomes monotonous.  I think by the fall there will be alot of Wow players looking for something else.
    I think the BC did more to address the casual player, i wanted more hardcore stuff, BC did away with 40man raids, did away with PvP ranks, added a bunch of 5man dungeons, quests gave much better gear than previous, New LFG system.. all for the casual player.

WoW still has 1 more peek sub count to come when TBC is released to the 5million asian players, 2008 onwards  will be the decline of WoW, no MMO can hold on forever, but it will easily be around till 2010 with significant sub numbers.

WAR will grab the WoW PvP crowed (me included), but i dont see any game grabbing the PvE, cept maybe LoTRO.

Only time will tell.

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939
    Originally posted by cupertino

Originally posted by Ciredric

I think the BC did more to address the casual player, i wanted more hardcore stuff, BC did away with 40man raids, did away with PvP ranks, added a bunch of 5man dungeons, quests gave much better gear than previous, New LFG system.. all for the casual player.

WoW still has 1 more peek sub count to come when TBC is released to the 5million asian players, 2008 onwards  will be the decline of WoW, no MMO can hold on forever, but it will easily be around till 2010 with significant sub numbers.

WAR will grab the WoW PvP crowed (me included), but i dont see any game grabbing the PvE, cept maybe LoTRO.

Only time will tell.

The end game is still hardcore only.  There was a link posted with a flow chart showing all of the steps you needed to go through in order to get access to the best dungeon and the best gear.  They actually made it harder now with the new expansion and not easier.  With the keying and the heroic dungeon running etc etc.  Of course Blizzard does a good job of hiding this fact by adding in better lower end gear for more casual players, but they did nothing to fix the inequality(real word?) of the PVP on the game.  The PVP system is still gear > skill oriented and the best gear still comes from a massive time sink in raiding. 

So while they have made some strides to make the game more casual friendly (like 24 man raids instead of 40 man and adding more 5 man dungeons)  they still maintain that elitist vision of who should have access to the best gear. 

IMO to this day DAoC had the best system, not counting ToA, they had the SI epic raid dungeons but you could either do them with less people and have a better chance at getting good loot, or you could zerg the dungeon and make it easier but have less of a shot at loot.  That was the perfect balance,  the more hardcore groups could run it and gear up faster  but the casuals could still run it and have a shot at the same gear. 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• graillgraill Member Posts: 257
    Originally posted by Godliest

Hmmm... When will these doomsday theories stop? Seems like they always keep coming, and always with new evidence. Usually not any confirmation behind the information they are putting forward, and usually not very good arguments.
    My opinion is; No I don't believe they are losing very much subscribers. They surely lost a few, but they also gained new ones. More evidence and say where u got the info (3.5milllion) and I will maybe rethink

personally waiting for warhammer. as a counter to your argument why dont you email vivendi and ask them to post single player subs, not including multiple accounts, not that you care alot, but simply because you care enough to post on the subject.   i tried to get this info by simply emailing and asking vivendi, they wont release single player sub numbers. know what that means? the 8 mill plus they claim to have is crap. they MAY have 8 mill plus worldwide including alt accounts, but they definately do not have 8 mill plus single player subs.

can you smell that?!!...............there is nothing quite like it.....................the smell of troll in the morning............i love that smell.

• cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094
    Originally posted by graill

Hmmm... When will these doomsday theories stop? Seems like they always keep coming, and always with new evidence. Usually not any confirmation behind the information they are putting forward, and usually not very good arguments.
    My opinion is; No I don't believe they are losing very much subscribers. They surely lost a few, but they also gained new ones. More evidence and say where u got the info (3.5milllion) and I will maybe rethink

personally waiting for warhammer. as a counter to your argument why dont you email vivendi and ask them to post single player subs, not including multiple accounts, not that you care alot, but simply because you care enough to post on the subject.   i tried to get this info by simply emailing and asking vivendi, they wont release single player sub numbers. know what that means? the 8 mill plus they claim to have is crap. they MAY have 8 mill plus worldwide including alt accounts, but they definately do not have 8 mill plus single player subs.

Email Sigil/SOE/Mythic and ask for sub numbers, you'll get the same answer.

I dont think a significant amount of players pay for 2 subscriptions every months, less than 1% easy.  and why shouldn't some 1 with 2 subs not be counted twice, for all blizz know its 2 brothers playing from their dads CC, you dont need 2 subs to play 2 characters, you just cant be horde and allaince on the same server on the same sub.

I have about 7 alts spread across numberous servers and only pay 1 sub every month, but seriously get over it, Blizz make it clear how and who they count unlike ALL other MMO's.

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939
    Originally posted by cupertino

Originally posted by graill

Email Sigil/SOE/Mythic and ask for sub numbers, you'll get the same answer.

I dont think a significant amount of players pay for 2 subscriptions every months, less than 1% easy.  and why shouldn't some 1 with 2 subs not be counted twice, for all blizz know its 2 brothers playing from their dads CC, you dont need 2 subs to play 2 characters, you just cant be horde and allaince on the same server on the same sub.

I have about 7 alts spread across numberous servers and only pay 1 sub every month, but seriously get over it, Blizz make it clear how and who they count unlike ALL other MMO's. The only reason they wouldn't want to give out single player numbers is it would show what a problem gold farming really is. 

Warning the following statement is made up to illustrate a point!!!!

If for instance if 1 gold farming company has 100 employees this would show up as 1 single subscriber so imagine if there are thousands of gold farming companies like this so 100 employees each times 1000 companies that is 100,000 subscribers and I could see it being even more then that. 

Would you want to show the fact that something your customers do not like is really that significant of a problem?

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Originally posted by aodoine

I can tell the loss is quite significant, I played WoW since the alpha stress test for the UI and login. My buddies and I were please to play this retard game over filled with 5 years old kids... We now are far from WoW and that means at least 20 peeps+++ I know that's not much but by what i hear see and read on forums WoW isn't the 1st MMO now it's only an average game for average player s who need to kill some noobs on the way to an Instance.
    WoW is definitely not a good MMO even if I spent the last 3 years in.

That last sentence makes you look kinda dumb. 3 years paying for a game that you say is definatley not a good game.

Wow, all I can say is Wow!

No signature, I don't have a pen

• Diesel471Diesel471 Member CommonPosts: 28
    people still play this trash?       Well, parents buy birthday presents for their youngsters every day i suppose.
  • Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081

Originally posted by Diesel471

people still play this trash?       Well, parents buy birthday presents for their youngsters every day i suppose.

What an original statement. Troll much!

No signature, I don't have a pen

• ProdudeProdude Member Posts: 353
    Originally posted by Diesel471

You forgot to mention what it is that YOU play.....other than "trash" that is.....
  • ThebigbopperThebigbopper Member Posts: 114

Numbers! well get over it WOW haters, there are lots of people playing WOW right now and no game is going to kill it off too soon. Yeah there are gold farmers on WOW but any thriving game will have them and the more popular the game the more farmers. Gold farmers will also be on the incoming games as well.

Yay for geniuses who say WOW has lots of gold farmers when the reason it does is because it is so popular. The way some of you make it sound is that there is one gold seller for every player lol. Get real most of you who complain about WOW probably cant afford the sub or your parents won't let you. Someone in this forum said WOW wasn't a good game but he played it for 3 yrs!.  Give it a rest please, that is such a ridiculous statement or you are plain silly. Who would play a game they didn't like for 3 years and be sane, maybe your one of the gold farmers?.

There seems to be more children WOW haters than children playing WOW by the comments here. Even if you find too many  silly children you can ignore them but i haven't really had that many issues. I been playing since release and haven't filled all my ignore slots.

I really don't give a toss if people hate WOW and somehow think your superior players who "know the real mmorpg's" If you think WOW is  dumbed down thats great... good for you. All i know is i am enjoying myself  along with the majority of people playing this game.  Played quite a few mmorpg's and haven't really found any of them brain teasers.