Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

crafting concern

ok and yet another question that i dont think can be answerd till beta but last night i had a scary thought about the crafting system

in wow you could get skill realy easy and most of the recipies were easy to get . there was no money to be made because every man and his dog could make that item with little effort

in final fantasy 11 the crafting was realy in depth where you could do all crafts but the skill was hard to lvl but the rewards meant that you had a goal of making great items that not many other ppl can make ( at high lvls)

i know that crafted items are a big part of the game as the good items are made and not dropped from rare bosses ( finally )

i guess the thing that concerns me the most is if i become a crafter in the game ( help me god i probabley will ) will i spend alot of time and effort getting my skill up to find at the end thers 2500 alts in the game who can make all items and  for it to become  like wow all over again

ok crafting can be tedious and in final fantasy you were driven by the aspect of being able to make the best items eg with high skill you could make a +1 item and the higher your skill ( which was hard to get) the higher the chance of making these better items. that was the good thing as you knew ppl as high lvl crafters and it was a great feeling to be able to make a item and it to come out as a +1

Comments

• Billy_thekidBilly_thekid Member Posts: 23
    I thought crafting was for prestigious classes, which were at level 80?
    Also, they already announced that only player made items will be socketable, and that you can craft things of different quality so that somebody may craft a +1 (would not say +1) while somebody else could attempt to craft the same things but wind up with better or lesser stats.
  • swrswrswrswr Member Posts: 13

great to hear that all items do not have set stats on them and that there is some variability on them

10.1 Will there be tradeskills and crafting in Age of Conan?

Yes, definitely. All of the four prestige classes – the Lord, the Commander, the Master and the Crafter – have access to certain crafting classes. The latter, the crafter prestige class, will be the most flexible one when it comes to this, simply because he or she is dedicated to dabble with all the crafting skills available in the game. So yes, there is definitely crafting in the game.

Also

4.5 Will there be crafting-specific classes?

No, you won’t pick a crafting class like you would pick an ordinary class. There is definitively a room for crafters in the game, and you will be able to become one, but crafting is in another layer of the class system in Age of Conan called prestige classes. Later in the game you will be able to pick a prestige class that you develop alongside your ordinary class. Crafter is one of these special prestige classes, and as a crafter you will have access to all crafting-specific skills, whereas the other prestige classes only will have access to one or two different crafting skills.

4.6 What prestige classes are there in Age of Conan?

There are four different prestige classes: The Crafter, the Lord, the Commander and the Master. Each of these has extremely valuable advantages that can be used both in solo play and in team play, and each has specific skills and benefits that can make a great difference. The commander can, for instance, expand groups and use special formations during combat, while a lord have certain rights when it comes to building cities and gathering resources. As for the master, he will be able to control a computer-controlled follower that can be of aid in battles. Here are some of the benefits that the prestige classes carry with them:

Lord:

• Has exclusive placement rights in regard to the main keep
    • Can build Guard Towers that automatically defend against enemy attacks
    • Each Lord in a guild increases the resource extraction of gold nuggets for all guild members - up to a max of 30 Lords.
    • Each Lord in a guild increases the experience point bonus for all guild members - up to a max of 20 Lords.
    • Has acces to the Architect and Alchemy crafting skills

Commander:

• Adds one additional maximum member to a team, up to a total of 10 (with 4 Commanders)
    • Can build Barracks for the Village or Keep that will spawn soldiers to protect the village on attack
    • Each Commander in a guild increases the resource extraction of iron ore for all guild members - up to a max of 30 Commanders
    • Can draw up special "Tactical Plans" to enable Commander only formations. Massive battle formations, such as large mounted formations or the special Raid Attack resistant formations, are available only to the Commander
    • Has access to the Weaponsmith crafting skill

Crafter:

• Can build crafting premises, smithies, and other tradeskill facilities in the guild villages
    • Each Crafter in a guild increases the resource extraction of wood for all guild members - up to a max of 30 Crafters
    • Has access to all forms of crafting

Master:

• Can have one "follower". Being in a guild gives you access to more powerful followers
    • Can build stables which upgrade the quality of mounts
    • Each Master in a guild will increase the resource extraction of stone for all guild members - up to a max of 30 Masters
    • Has access to the Armotsmith crafting skill

4.7 What crafting skills are there?

The crafting skills planned for launch are weaponsmithing, alchemy, armorsmithing, gemcutting and architecture. Each of these gives the player the ability to make items and structures that are both beneficial for the player him or herself, as well as other players.

Right from their site.

• LuthgarLuthgar Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by Billy_thekid

I thought crafting was for prestigious classes, which were at level 80?
    This is off slightly, you get your prestige class at lvl 40 not 80. 
  • New_to_MMONew_to_MMO Member Posts: 71

didn't see it in the FAQ...

if you chose the crafting prestige class, are you able to max out ALL the different types or just 1 or 2, etc...

also, would the crafter prestige class make better stuff than a crafter from one of the other prestige classes???

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by New_to_MMO

didn't see it in the FAQ...
    if you chose the crafting prestige class, are you able to max out ALL the different types or just 1 or 2, etc...
    also, would the crafter prestige class make better stuff than a crafter from one of the other prestige classes???

Try this one  http://community.ageofconan.com/wsp/conan/frontend.cgi?func=publish.show&func_id=1029&table=PUBLISH&template=news_features_game&selected=1029

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    The Crafter prestige class has access to them all, but I think at some point chooses to specialize in 1 or 2. The other prestige classes can learn one or two crafting abilities, but I don't think they can advance as far in them as the Crafter can.

As far as I know, level progression is thus

Choose Race - 1

Choose Archetype - 5

Choose Profession - 20

Choose Prestige - 40

Choose Class Specialization - 60

I'm not sure where the 20 PvP levels fit in there. Anyone know?  Also I recently read that each class chooses one of two specializations at 60.

• Hydro101Hydro101 Member Posts: 49

best crafting system ever was SWG, all resources and materials used in crafting had unique stats that made the crafted item different from another crafter, not to mention crating gear was also a major increase.

worst crafting system was wow, considering materials did not have stats, all crafted items had the same stats, and usually chances were good that better items dropped off boss's.

if funcom can make a crafting system even half as good as SWG, ill be a happy man.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    Originally posted by Hydro101

best crafting system ever was SWG,
    /snip

if funcom can make a crafting system even half as good as SWG, ill be a happy man.
    QFT!

In the 3 odd years I played the game (from mid beta to just after the NGE) I spent the majority of my time in the game running a shop and crafting. First solid year I did nothing but tailoring and ran a shop selling cloths. Seams stupid, and IRL I am not a cloths person, but in game, I specialized in making cloths from the movies and jedi outfits before there were actual jedi robes in game. It was so successful I could barely keep up (I one time had an order from an entire guild of over 60 people, a santa outfit for christmas lol.)

Then I discovered the most complex crafting profession not only the game offered, but any game offered. Bio-engineering. That system, it really takes a solid month before you even begin to understand the finer details of the system, and even then, it took a solid year for me to perfect it. Be able to produce near exactly what the customer ordered. I often would simply be asked to produce a ZOO for people's guild halls. They were fun to make. :) Then the CU came out and made the profession VERY hard, because you couldn't craft, and fight, and the BE needs to do both to get their DNA samples. Then the NGE came out and 1/2 the best crafting skills were removed from the game, including my beloved Bio-Engineering. :(

I know AoC will have player shops, so I as well hope beyond hope that the crafting system is at least 1/2 as good as SWG. If it nears it (I doubt it will surpass it, but Funcom knows their stuff, so who knows,) then that'd be awesome.