Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Outside the Box: Combat in Age of Conan

13»

Comments

• PoldanoPoldano Member Posts: 244
    Originally posted by Elendil88

Originally posted by SirDeimos

Originally posted by Sinuous

I predict that AoC will be hated by the tubs-o'-lard who like eating their cookies and cakes while executing macros every 2-3 minutes.  As for those individuals looking for a more engaging mmorpg experience.........this game is for you.
    I agree 100%. I guess some people get scared when they think they might have to have some skill to do well instead of only depending on how much time you have sunk into that char.Just like this guy here....

Hey, where'd you get my picture!

• PoldanoPoldano Member Posts: 244
    Originally posted by Antioche

Obviously Garrett didn't explain the combat system well enough in his article. Basically you should go read about it for yourself as Funcom has a rather in depth FAQ on their website.  For those who are too lazy or stupid to accomplish such a feat I'll give you a brief explanation.

A player will have SIX attack choices upper left upper middle upper right, left, middle, right. Those are the different ways you can swing whatever weapon(s) you're wielding. The killing blows are, from what I understand, simply a sequence of those basic attacks strung together. The offensive aspects of combat are active, but the defensive aspects are not active. To the individual who said that such a combat system would have issues in a MMORPG because of? lag I guess I don't know what you're talking about. No other mmorpg has tried to do this before that I have ever played, and I've played almost every english, and some non english, mmorpg's that there are. There is at least one video I have watched that involved quite a few devs fighting it out. So obviously it won't be a problem. I could explain why, but you actually think it would cause problems which only reveals that you don't know what you're talking about and I don't feel like explaining.

What the article failed to talk about was the magic system in Age of Conan. Go read up on it. It is also very unique and I think everyone who enjoys mmorpgs should read up on this game instead of reading are fairly shallow, sorry but it's true, article concerning one aspect of it. There are many things about AoC that are innovative. And yes I am a fanboi. :)

I remain skeptical of the viability of the combat system until it is proven to work in a release environment. Anything that requires quick reaction is risky when the unpredictability of global internet lag combined with server and client lag actually happens. A bunch of developers demonstrating combat over a local-area network on an underloaded server (how many thousands of developers are there, anyway?) is no comparison to a deployment environment.

This is not to say that it's not interesting. I do hope it works. I do intend to give it a try, at least.

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087
    Looks like it could be a really fun game.  Anybody who isn't excited about action style fighting is just crazy!  I'm so sick of the all these MMORPGs that never make the fighting fun.  The only one that IMO did it the best (out of what I've tried) so far was WoW.  I liked PSU also but not enough different attacks.   The AoC combat system sounds really good right about now.  I would probably use the 360 control a lot if it works the same as the mouse/keys.  How many times have u wanted to just lay down on the bed or chill on the couch, but were stuck at the desk? 
  • whitedelightwhitedelight Member Posts: 1,544

I have outgrown my auto attack days. I look forward to playing a game that is going to give something new a try. There truly will be some skill during battle now especially if you are a mage or archer type. The reason being is you no longer just hit with your spells and arrows, you now actually have to aim them and I can not wait.

Another thing I do like already is that they stated that only player crafted items may have sockets in it , dungeon drops will not so there will be a use for both. At the same time they stated that the better gear you have, the cooler it will look. I look forward to this because I can see what my enemy is wearing without having to inspect him.

For the people who want this game to fail or are skeptical about the combat, I ask why are you not rooting that it becomes a hit? If this game fails on the new things that it is trying, this would be a step back for all MMOs. If it becomes a hit and people love the combat, then this is a step forward from the auto attacking genre lazy gamers have become so accustomed to.

The AI for mobs is supposed to be pretty impressive as well and if that is true it would make this game pretty hard to bot which would rock as well.

Root for the game, if it fails, future MMOs will be wary of trying new things because Vanguard tried to do "revolutionary" things and failed on that level, and if Conan does too, nobody will risk things anymore.

• KhazyKhazy Member Posts: 13
    Zappy: Actually, I did that on purpose.. or old habit if you like. I can also type Jørgen =P
  • LordAvarilLordAvaril Member Posts: 5
    Im actually lookin forward to see how this game will turn out even if it is Twitch style still could Be Quite Interesting to try on you PC

Time to Play

• ZappyZappy Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by whitedelight

I have outgrown my auto attack days. I look forward to playing a game that is going to give something new a try. There truly will be some skill during battle now especially if you are a mage or archer type. The reason being is you no longer just hit with your spells and arrows, you now actually have to aim them and I can not wait.
    Another thing I do like already is that they stated that only player crafted items may have sockets in it , dungeon drops will not so there will be a use for both. At the same time they stated that the better gear you have, the cooler it will look. I look forward to this because I can see what my enemy is wearing without having to inspect him.
    For the people who want this game to fail or are skeptical about the combat, I ask why are you not rooting that it becomes a hit? If this game fails on the new things that it is trying, this would be a step back for all MMOs. If it becomes a hit and people love the combat, then this is a step forward from the auto attacking genre lazy gamers have become so accustomed to.
    The AI for mobs is supposed to be pretty impressive as well and if that is true it would make this game pretty hard to bot which would rock as well.
    Root for the game, if it fails, future MMOs will be wary of trying new things because Vanguard tried to do "revolutionary" things and failed on that level, and if Conan does too, nobody will risk things anymore.

I do hope they will succeed, but from what they have shown, I am sceptical that it will succeed. Imo, its better to be sceptical then to be blinded by its "obvious brilliace" only because its new.
    That they try new things is good, but new things dont have to turn out good.

And what does auto attacking have to do with "lazy gamers"? With a good system (aka not wow), the auto attack system can require a huge ammount of interactivity, intesity and skill.
  • gpettgpett Member Posts: 1,105
    I agree MMO combat systems need to change.

Somehow combining the aspects of an MMO, fighting game, and 1st person shooter into one seamless combat experience is the goal.

But, If funcom makes AoC similar to old fighting games, I can see half the population macroing the game.  That is what I hate and do not understand.  Playing with people that macro.  Why bother playing the game if you are going to have a macro program do all the playing for you.  You might as well go watch a movie, because that is in essence what you are doing.  Anywho, I hope they can succeed with this new combat system and at the same time making the game not friendly to people that use macro programs.

If every move has a combo of buttons, this game will be a macro users haven.  UGH!
  • RabidwardogRabidwardog Member Posts: 13

I do not know where Zappy get off  thinking he or she could judge me based on a small comment. For you're information I got hot-keys down to a science which is why I desire a new and less hot-key dependant combat system. I have nothing against hot -keys they do make mmorpg life easier I just  tire of i hot-keys being 90% of the combat.

As for the comment on Wow well I won't lie you're right  to the point to where it is a little scary I do suffer from to much exposure to Wow but  my complaint stand because they are not the only gear  and addon dependant mmorpg.

• FlummoxedFlummoxed Member Posts: 591
    Originally posted by heerobya

look at ANY mmo that has had such a complex, twitch based combat system. Now look where that MMO is now.

You've hit on the very heart of the matter. 

Next gen mmoRPG devs are focusing all this time and effort on how to make COMBAT more twitchy and complex and difficult.  Whatever happened to, you know, THE RPG PART !? 

Hell why bother with anything else, just make AoC another shooter-with-swords like every other mmog coming out this year.  Would save a lot of time and money wasted on stupid things like role playing, quests, exploration, plot, character, setting, storyline and other worthless stuff that devs apparently don't give a damn about any more.