Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If Vanguard is so bad, what should I be playing?

2»

Comments

• ThamorisThamoris Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Originally posted by gavin2050

First, let’s set some parameters, these are the things I would enjoy in a game, and would like to find as much of as possible in any game I try.
    Decent 3d graphics.  It doesn’t have shock me with how fantastic it is, but I’d like to see variety in players appearances, and interesting settings and creatures. 
    Housing.  SWG / Morrowind style, and non instanced. I want to be able to develop a housing community with other players, not just walk into a door and be in an apartment in my own little copy of the same apartment as everyone else.  I also want to be able to display gear and trophies from my adventures.  
    Complex crafting.  Something akin to the crafting in SWG, Horizons, or Ryzom.  Crafting in games like Wow is way too simplified and linear to keep my attention. 
    PvP.  Doesn’t have to be the main focus of the game, but player vs. player conflict, when driven by the storyline of the game instead of ego and greed I find quite enjoyable.
    Character diversity.  Preferably a class-less system, if not as many class / race combinations as possible.  Having the same 6-9 classes running around in the same armor with different hairstyles gets old for me real fast. 
    Large world, the bigger and more diverse the better.  I live in a pathetically dull state, and don’t get the opportunity to travel a lot, so paying 15$ a month to travel and see new things even in a virtual world is something I enjoy. 
    Multiple starting areas and advancement paths.  I’m an alt-aholic and like to play around with multiple characters, having different places to advance them again keeps things from getting stale.  
    Weather and season effects. It adds to the immersion and helps keep things fresh, not something major, but Ryzom had it and it I found watching the changes enjoyable.  
    Mounts / Vehicles & Pets.  The more diverse the better, again just adds to the amount of things that can be done for entertainment.
    Now, with that said, I feel that myself and many others who are so-called Van-bois are looking for a game with things like this.  Even Vanguard dosen’t totally fit the bill, I realize that.  But after the extensive game wandering I’ve done it’s the closest thing I can find to what I am looking for in a game.
    Please feel free to show me another game that I’ll enjoy more.
    Sounds to me like Vanguard is the game for you.....and for me..for that reason. That's why I'm playing it.....it sucks less than the rest. I expect the game to mature and grow alot this first year after launch ....suspect Vanguard will really hit it's stride 6mo -12mo from now.
  • mcquaidmcquaid Member Posts: 3

First, let’s set some parameters, these are the things I would enjoy in a game, and would like to find as much of as possible in any game I try.
    Decent 3d graphics.  It doesn’t have shock me with how fantastic it is, but I’d like to see variety in players appearances, and interesting settings and creatures. 
    Housing.  SWG / Morrowind style, and non instanced. I want to be able to develop a housing community with other players, not just walk into a door and be in an apartment in my own little copy of the same apartment as everyone else.  I also want to be able to display gear and trophies from my adventures.  
    Complex crafting.  Something akin to the crafting in SWG, Horizons, or Ryzom.  Crafting in games like Wow is way too simplified and linear to keep my attention. 
    PvP.  Doesn’t have to be the main focus of the game, but player vs. player conflict, when driven by the storyline of the game instead of ego and greed I find quite enjoyable.
    Character diversity.  Preferably a class-less system, if not as many class / race combinations as possible.  Having the same 6-9 classes running around in the same armor with different hairstyles gets old for me real fast. 
    Large world, the bigger and more diverse the better.  I live in a pathetically dull state, and don’t get the opportunity to travel a lot, so paying 15$ a month to travel and see new things even in a virtual world is something I enjoy. 
    Multiple starting areas and advancement paths.  I’m an alt-aholic and like to play around with multiple characters, having different places to advance them again keeps things from getting stale.  
    Weather and season effects. It adds to the immersion and helps keep things fresh, not something major, but Ryzom had it and it I found watching the changes enjoyable.  
    Mounts / Vehicles & Pets.  The more diverse the better, again just adds to the amount of things that can be done for entertainment.
    Now, with that said, I feel that myself and many others who are so-called Van-bois are looking for a game with things like this.  Even Vanguard dosen’t totally fit the bill, I realize that.  But after the extensive game wandering I’ve done it’s the closest thing I can find to what I am looking for in a game.
    Please feel free to show me another game that I’ll enjoy more.
    You should keep playing VG. the subs are needed. 

Don't listen to that Mcquaided bsing going around
  • takaris7takaris7 Member Posts: 145
    Originally posted by smg77

Gannon, it was intentional, but also truthful. 
    Do the viral marketers get some sort of handbook and a badge?  What use does this forum have? You have your haters who thinks that anyone that likes the game is some type of paid employee of the SOE empire and you have you people who like the game who for some reason stay on these boards (Its pointless...there is nothing here.) trying to defend the game.

I suggest ....move on...find a better forum...one with actual information...

Ill stay here and guard the pass...hopefully they will not get by.

• takaris7takaris7 Member Posts: 145
    Originally posted by Hero5937GX

Originally posted by Selek

The animations are on par with maybe the first Everquest. Which is simply pathetic.
    you have got to be kidding me.  first eq? wow i am really amazed at your graphics expertise.

Yea, I have station pass and Im telling you now..it dosnt look like eq1...nothing wrong with eq1 now. :)

Games like EQ1/2, DAoC, WoW, AO and SWG all have areas where you can find people and ways to meet people. Vanguard is a HUGE empty world where everyone wanders around aimlessly. I'm a very social person in mmorpgs, I'm always making friends... However in Vanguard I didnt meet one person level 1-10 that stayed around. They do the same wandering everyone does and you never have the feel of a "home" and if you do goodluck traveling 100 hours if you want to visit it.

funny.. i never had problems finding people around my level to group with or any pure stranger for that matter. a grossly over exaggerated false statement.
    Again you cant change their minds...I have always suggested ...move on...find another forum if you want to ACTUALLY talk about the  game...this one has nothing... on a happier note... I see someone looking for a group...needing some help i help them...never had any problem with groups...travel seems a bit bothersome but ive overcome it...Yes i do wonder around cause its fun...love exploring...no MMO besides SWG has this type of freedom.

I started to rant, Im sorry. But truely, I can't stand Vanguard.

this is what all the horde of haters do on every new MMOs that come out.  they have nothing better to do.
    Again that is all these forums are for...blah blah blah...nothing important at all...

I've tryed every new/old mmorpg, my favorite of the somewhat new ones would be EQII.

then perhaps u should go play more eq2 now.

I myself rotate between DAoC, Anarchy Online, and SWG and EQII. Because despite their age, they are the best.

glad you have games that u like.  go play them.

All very good games in their own right...
  • matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431

Do the viral marketers get some sort of handbook and a badge?

Flame on Troll, you still didn't answer my question? Don't mind him... He's a pro whiner.  He played SWG.

eqnext.wikia.com

• DeadlobsterDeadlobster Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Since leaving SWG a few years ago pre combat upgrade i have played GW, wow and VG, nothing puts a patch on swg. How i miss my TKA master.
  • smg77smg77 Member Posts: 672
    Originally posted by takaris7

Do the viral marketers get some sort of handbook and a badge?  What use does this forum have?

Countless hours of entertainment for me. As much fun as I'm having now, though, I can't wait until the announcement comes through that Sigil has sold Vanguard to SOE.

In the meantime I'll keep reading the posts from all the people who got screwed over by buying a crappy game.
  • svb1972svb1972 Member Posts: 2
    Vanguard could have been a great game.  I was really excited.. until I hit the rabbid, rampant camping.  At Level 8.

How exactly does being one of 5 groups, all going after the same Captain SoandSo at Level 8, for content that's not really skippable, because it's a main quest in your quest chain, make the game fun?

What is actually wrong with Instancing?  I mean, I loved Guk.. until they nerfed it.  I loved being good enough to handle the trains.  But, at the same time.  Guk was very rarely played, because it was so hard.  Most of the other major EQ1 dungeons... were Camp city.  A group of 6 at literally every corner, each standing around all day pulling the same 3-4 creatures, over and over again.

I'm playing DDO right now.  Because it's fun to get a group together, do a couple of meaningful quests where there's a variety of ways to solve.  It's not the greatest game since sliced bread.  But it's reminding me how much I despise camping.

If the world was.. heavily populated by bad guys.. that would be one thing.  But, Vanguard was alot of empty space with mobs that were 5-15 levels over the rest of the area, and few and far between, and small concentrations of mobs, positively swarming with Players.

I mean, how exactly is entering the Dreaded Fortress of Count Ulof (a Vampire) Fun?  When said Vampire has 40-50 players, all camping different rooms of his castle, and he dies within 10 minutes of getting out of his coffin?

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    Gotta agree with most of the 'vanbois' here...  Vanguard definitely has all those things that the other mmorpgs lack, even if it is lacking in some of the general concepts that we've gotten used to mmorpgs including.

If not 'decent graphics' (although I definitely think they are decent; just because the character models arent as good as EQ2 doesnt mean the graphics arent good) then VG at least has 'unique graphics' with the insanely huge draw distance.  Being able to see mountains that are incredibly far away is unique for mmorpgs and some (like me) really really give sigil a thumbs up for that.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.