Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW, simply a PVP/ACTION niche in the RPG world?

//\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

I must admit that I was very impressed by the E3 open demo and that I would have almost have been satisfied had it been a finished product (assuming there had been missions after 5th continuously).

I was, however, disappointed that the game had been implemented in less than three dimensions (topologically a plane can be considered a 3-d space, but I (this is just my own semantics here, so please don't argue, or call me stupid image) only find a game truly 3-d if it isn't simply a twisting and turning plane (meaning you can jump).

IMHO, the 2-d  & 1/2 environment hampers exploration and roleplaying to the extent that it is virtually pointless to follow the storyline and the linearity of the environments also made any solo-experience viable for me.

Also the player spawned environments make any kind of Party roleplaying interaction limited to towns and missions (which are neither the time nor place for that sort of occupation)

Now to my premise:

I don't think that the set of people that play mmorpgs SOLELY for the scenery (exploration) or roleplaying would touch this title with a 10 ft pole

The pvp in GW is (again IMO) the best to date in a MMORPG, and requires some sort of skill and planning for any sort of success.

The coop missions are again more of an action element than anything else.

I don't wish to squander anymore text lauding GW, since it is quite obvious that I am already in love with the game.

My question to other people:

Does the environment hamper your RP experience as much as it does mine?

I understand that the aggregate will determine the result, but I am just curious as to how developers will react to the negative feedback from RPers (which there has been and will inevitably be) ?

Do you think that RP should be accentuated (assuming that the other parameters are kept the same)? Meaning; more story, more solo space?

Or do you think that devs should focus more on perfecting their already immaculate PVP system?

"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say 'ni' at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred."
MP

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

Comments

• AngelysAngelys Member Posts: 18

I actually think I agree with your post entirely.  Wow. :)

I didn't like the invisible walls which stopped me walking off cliffs or that forced me to walk around areas which to me looked passable.  I don't know if this was just to prevent or reduce the number of collision bugs in the pre-beta and hope that it will be different for the release version.
    Also, I didn't like not being able to jump.  I'm not saying I want to Michael Jordan my way over an enemy to save my ass, but the ability to get over those annoying fallen trees would be useful.
    If not, it really is a game on rails.  You are forced to follow paths and trails, and I really enjoy exploring these environments, especially when they look so good.  It also cost me my life on more than one occasion, where I got cornered by a group of creatures and forced into a corner that I couldn't get out of.  If I could have jumped off the cliff or over the fence I would have live.  While I got sick of the red rock theme eventually, the freedom to move ANYWHERE in say the jungle theme would add to that roleplay feel and retain a lot more of the feeling of being in control.

Likewise, not being able to escape the paths in PvP means that you are a very obvious target and there's nowhere to hide if you want to get somewhere.  If you're attacking Point B and have to run past Point A, all the enemy needs to do is wait around Point A until you inevitably get there and wipe you out.

Bringing me nicely onto the PvP part :)
    I don't normally go for PvP in online games, it's just not normally my thing.  But in GW I was addicted to it.  8v8 missions were fantastic and, allowing for some classes being overpowered, were really well handled.  I've read countless reviews and previews and articles about GW and think this is the main selling point - ArenaNet knows this.  They already have a polished PvP product and as soon as they figure out the delicate issue of class-balancing they are onto a winner.  I can definitely see the single player missions being a secondary feature where people can go if there's not enough people online to group with.

• dreary79dreary79 Member Posts: 32

First thing, the E3 demo rocked. 

Second, jumping is a fun thing to do, so I bought a jump-rope.

Third, Final Fantasy console games have all had a number of invisible walls.  Final Fantasy rocks.  Invisible walls calls for stratagy:  How am I going to get to that treasure box down in that mist, I can't just jump down there?

Fourth, this game is 3D.  Looking down from the top of a snow coverd mountain and seeing were a had been standing 5-10 minuites before, thats called 3D.

Five, You can go anywhere on the map without teleporting.  The thing that stinks is that you can only get there by soloing.  I would have loved to make my jurneys with a friend.

Guildwars is going to be a good game.  There might be some things I would do differently, but then we would be talking about:  Guildwars MMO RPG FPS RTS Adventure. 

Thundercats Ho!

Thundercats Ho!