Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions

FawkerFawker Member Posts: 7

So I've decided to give in and get a copy of WoW.  I have friends that already play, so I'm not worried about learning the game.  But new games always have me musing on character creation schemes.

What jobs are in abundance/demand?  What jobs get the most/least amount of love in seeking party/ joining guilds?  Can you change jobs if you lose interest in your current job?  I realize that this will likely vary from server to server, but I'd just like a general Idea.

It may be a couple of weeks until I pick it up, so I have time to toy with ideas.  Just looking for insight.

Thanks!

Currently playing: psu, but not for much longer...
Previous MMOs: ffxi

Comments

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

Originally posted by Fawker
    So I've decided to give in and get a copy of WoW.  I have friends that already play, so I'm not worried about learning the game.  But new games always have me musing on character creation schemes.
    What jobs are in abundance/demand?  What jobs get the most/least amount of love in seeking party/ joining guilds?  Can you change jobs if you lose interest in your current job?  I realize that this will likely vary from server to server, but I'd just like a general Idea.

It may be a couple of weeks until I pick it up, so I have time to toy with ideas.  Just looking for insight.
    Thanks!

Warriors and Priests are in huge demand pretty much everywhere. You can still find a group pretty easily with any class, but it will be easiest with these. However, the problem with these two classes is that everyone expects you to play your character a certain way, and if someone gets killed they'll usually try to blame it on you.

• FawkerFawker Member Posts: 7

From what I've read, Warriors can go DD or tank.  I assume that people would prefer a warrior to tank....correct?  Which is fine...my fondest mmo experiences were tanking as warrior or ninja in ffxi. 

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362
    I presume by job you mean class :-)

This site will give you an accurate break down of how many people play each class. You should select the same realm and faction as your friends in order to get more appropriate data. If you play in europe, select the realm with an EU prefix.

All classes have a role in the game, and if you play any class well, you will be able to find groups. However some classes are more in demand than others :-)

If you want to play an in demand class, I would suggest avoiding Hunter and Rogue. Both are heavily oversubscribed, although many of both are played by clueless kiddies, so the competition isn't excessively tough.

Warriors are also oversubscribed, but every group needs a tank, so you will still be able to easily find groups until you reach max level, at which point you may find yourself competing with large numbers of other warriors.

Druids have traditionally been the least popular class, although they were buffed with TBC and many people created druids. Now they have been nerfed again they may go back to being under-subscribed.

Traditionally all forms of healers are in demand, although this will have lessened slightly, with each faction now having access to four healing classes (Horde have gained paladins, whilst Alliance has gained Shamen).

Other in demand classes include mages and warlocks.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

you know you want to be a tank!

it's fun!

all the info you seek is on their website my friend. that and plenty more.

www.worldofwarcraft.com

• paperclaypaperclay Member Posts: 53
    the game is a newbie friendly, actually all the characters are use friendly you dont have to find many walkthoughs or manuals for the game..depending on your playing style you can choose many kinds of classes and characters that fits your type..but for some reviews i have learned that priest are the most loved by the guild who is looking for a groupmate
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by Aethios

Warriors and Priests are in huge demand pretty much everywhere. You can still find a group pretty easily with any class, but it will be easiest with these. However, the problem with these two classes is that everyone expects you to play your character a certain way, and if someone gets killed they'll usually try to blame it on you.
    The part that I underlined is true, but that also seems to apply for ALL classes.
  • JJD74JJD74 Member Posts: 45

Coming from someone playing since beta, and having seen all available end game content.  (available content)

If I were to start fresh, I'd roll a pali to go holy, or a priest to go shadow, or a Warrior.

Since the release of TBC, and as progression climbs the slow ladder.... Holy Pali > Holy Priest due to talent tree additions.

Shadow Priest > Fire or Arcane Mage with new talent tree additions. 

I'd probably even make a lock to go affliction spec.

As far as "jobs" go, if you're referring to tradeskills.... Herbalism / Alchemy is very hot.... most of the end game 25mans are consumeable intensive.  IE: Flasks, Elixirs, Potions, etc.

• FawkerFawker Member Posts: 7

Horde races can be Paladins?   the wow website doesn't say that...

If this is true, which races in particular?  Any reason why Tolls are the least played?  I suppose somebody has to be...  I'm really considering rolling a Troll Warrior or a Troll Paladin.  Tanking is in my blood ^^

• swrswrswrswr Member Posts: 13

dont make the mistake iv seen ppl make many times

dont play a class because its needed and then loose interest in the game play a class you enjoy if you enjoy having a pet and being ranged ( ranger in ffxi / i guess a dragoon pet wise ) then be a ranger class

with most games i start ill pick a warrior or a nice basic class to learn the controlls on ect and then see the other classes in action and what they do/can do

once you are about lvl 6-10 you normally have a good idea of what class you want to play 

make your chracter and enjoy

with that method iv never gone wrong

final fantasy - low lvl warrior - main class of  red mage / black mage ( although the good thing was you never realy had to choose)

wow -beta 10 warrior - hunter  now im a 70 hunter :) 

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156

Thanks!

If you are a Group oriented player, then Warrior or Priest will keep you busy 100% of the time.

If you are a Solo oriented player, then Hunter or Warlock will let you play 100% of the time without a group.

All other classes are a mix of Solo / Group with a mixed reception in Instance groups.

All classes are generally welcome (except for Ass-Hat Rogues and poorly played Hunters).

Real key is to play the sort of Class that you have enjoyed in the past. 

All are effective and all have their place in Instance and Raid situations.

You can change the specialization (Talent) build of your Character Class, but not change the actual Class.  Once a Hunter, always a Hunter.  But you can make up to 10 characters on a single (non-PvP) server of any faction.  And up to 50 total per account.

Have Fun

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Horde races can be Paladins?   the wow website doesn't say that...
    If this is true, which races in particular?  Any reason why Tolls are the least played?  I suppose somebody has to be...  I'm really considering rolling a Troll Warrior or a Troll Paladin.  Tanking is in my blood ^^

Only Blood Elves can be paladins, trolls can't.

Why trolls are the least played? prolly either because they have less personality of the others or because they are plain ugly :D

Seriously, having tusks coming out of your mouth does not seem to appeal to many people. Orcs appeal for their brutality, Tauren for.... well you should know what for, freaking minotaurs and undead for their cruelty/evilness. So trolls are left a bit in the "bah" department. they actually have nice background of shamanism and stuff like that, but still.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• swrswrswrswr Member Posts: 13
    yeh trolls arnt played much but b4 the burning crusade they made the best horde hunter class because of there beserking and +5 bow skill and a handy  (Rhok'delar, Longbow of the Ancient Keepers)
  • EmpyreEmpyre Member Posts: 46
    I'd be careful rolling Preist... just because if any of the non (healing) people die it's your fault (or so they say) i love groups where there are 4 non healers and 1 preist and they expect the preist to save everyone from their own stupidity... :)... I don't know exactly what's in demand but like everyone else has said anything that heals seems to be popular...