Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A world shaped by the players. does it exist?

I am looking for an MMORPG where the world -or at least some part of it- is shaped by the players. I thought this forum is the best place to ask.

let me try to clarify what I mean. For example I have been playing Guild Wars for a while. in GW there is a scenario and the only role of a player (story-wise) is to push the game to the next step by doing missions etc. not very different from playing NWN in single player mode. except that there are other people doing the same thing  with you at the same time.  the story can go no other way and no body's actions can possibly  change what HAS to happen next.

-------------here is a spoiler related to the story------------

For example the Ascalonian ppl HAS to travel west, Rurik HAS to die and players HAS to kill undead Rurik.

----------------------------------------------

I can chose not to push the scenario to each next step but then nothing happens in the world at all.  I end up wandering in a fixed world, killing creatures whose existance do not matter at all.  yeah, I think my problem is that the world is stationary. it does not evolve. it should change. and it should be that playes who change it.

I am not saying there should be a few ways the story can go, like 3 possible endings depending on how you play. I am saying there should be no end (or infinitely many endings).  For example players should be able to come together and decide to ocupy one city, castle etc. if they can, than that's it. there must be no turning back, just like the real world.

I hope I made it clear. do you know a game which could satisfy me ?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• KyernaKyerna Member Posts: 119

Different storyarcs and outcomes through quest or mission storylines are pretty much unheard off. Most MMO worlds are designed around a rather static basis where players' actions have none to little effect except on a personal level.

However, there are a few MMO worlds that do not depend on traditional questing and errands where the story can evolve; mainly because their worlds and universe are build around the premisses of dynamics. More often than not these will be 'sandbox games'.

The three I can think of:

Eve Online: corporations that climb to power and influence the markets and thus the universe; sheer player actions.

Ryzom: developpment of a progressive storyline through live events where player's actions dictate the outcome.

A tale in the desert: player interaction and progress dictates progress of the dynasties.

If there's more, others may probably point them out to you.
  • DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951
    A world COMPLETELY made by players, including cave building and city building, wood chopping and everything in between = Wurm Online. Thus watch out if you're a graphic freak

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613
    I'd say wurm online too.  99.99% of everything is made by players; towns, weapons, tools.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• KesemenKesemen Member Posts: 9
    thanks for the replies so far. it has really helped. I have been looking into "sandbox" related threads and yes, it is what I am looking for. I knew I wasn't the only one
  • EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

EVE online is shaped by players.

NPC Agents will tell you to watch out for certain player made pirate factions (they'll even name the "Guild" who is responsible) and the new Emperor of the Amarrian Empire is an actual player who was voted into power.

When was the last time you seen a player crowned leader of an NPC/PC Empire?  Thats like making a player King of Qeynos or Archlord of Freeport.

EVE's world is 100% evolved from players. 

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• DowieDowie Member Posts: 280
    Yea, wurm online is what you are looking for alright :)

www.wurmonline.com
  • IsometrixIsometrix Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Face of Mankind fits the description too in many ways. A horrible game but still user shaped.
  • LvciferLvcifer Member Posts: 127

MyBrute = addicting mini online game!