Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Question Guild Wars Being On MMORPG.com

TelvannasTelvannas Member Posts: 123
Well, it's not really an MMORPG, is it? It's more like Diablo 2, without the craziness and twisted storyline. Really, I don't think it should be on this site, Guild Wars took the MMO out of MMORPG.

Comments

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156

Old debate.

No point beating this horse anymore.

Already dead.

GW here to stay on MMORPG.

(Personally, I think it should be kicked as well.  Or all the other 'instanced' games added).

• 0k210k21 Member Posts: 866
    I have to agree to be honest, when I heard about how Guild Wars just was basically instanced base and it had no subscription fee I was just skeptical, this isn't really an MMORPG, it's a boxed game with multiplayer capability, not a persistant world either, MMORPG's are persistant, this game isn't and it relies on only installed expansions to further it's development, there aren't any content patches as far as I know.

Quoting people doesn't make you clever, in fact, it makes you all the more stupid for not bothering to read the quotes you post in the first place.

• TelvannasTelvannas Member Posts: 123
    Originally posted by 0k21

I have to agree to be honest, when I heard about how Guild Wars just was basically instanced base and it had no subscription fee I was just skeptical, this isn't really an MMORPG, it's a boxed game with multiplayer capability, not a persistant world either, MMORPG's are persistant, this game isn't and it relies on only installed expansions to further it's development, there aren't any content patches as far as I know.

I was talking to a friend of mine about the game, and he claimed he liked it being instanced because it meant no one could, "Steal the kills that he'd waited five hours for."

I laughed in his face, and he called World of Warcraft a noob game.

• VGJusticeVGJustice Member Posts: 640

Pretty obvious troll attempt here, peoples.

And just to piss you off, Telvannas: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. Guild Wars fits all of these criteria, but is a specialized form of that called a CORPG - Competitive Online Role Playing Game.

--~~--
    Play Guild Wars? Go here - http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Main_Page
    And go here for the new official Guild Wars Wiki! http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

• SerlingSerling Member Posts: 662

I question you being on MMORPG.com.

• SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553
    Originally posted by Serling

I question you being on MMORPG.com.
    I'm sorry but I so LOL'ed when I read this.

Also, i have to agree with VGJustice *gasp* :)  But it's just another troll attempt.  I think it would be huge if noone bothered to even reply to the guy.  Quietly pointing and laughing however, is strongly encouraged.

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"

Originally posted by Suplyndmnd
    Also, i have to agree with VGJustice *gasp* :)
    Don't worry, I won't let it go to my head.... too much image

--~~--
    And go here for the new official Guild Wars Wiki! http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

• deadsun7deadsun7 Member Posts: 112
    quick question if guild wars is a "corpg" then 90% of the pvp based game can be considered a corpg the fact of the matter is that most pvp based games are based out of competition, after all 90% of people who play mmorpg's want to have the coolest, most powerful character in the game correct me if im wrong but that's competition. i think guild wars is sort of cool but not something i want to play myself after all most characters on that game can only go so far before they're capped off and can't do much more.

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

• AkaraxleAkaraxle Member UncommonPosts: 471

A MMORPG doesn't have to be persistent to be a MMORPG. Case closed.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    Dungeons and Dragons Online has a max of 8 players per combat instance, Guild Wars has a max of 24 per combat instance.  If GW isnt a mmorpg then D&D online isnt either.    So go post on its board too, and see if you get a better response than on these!

PS, CORPG is just a acronym coined by one of the GW devs.  No other game has ever claimed to be a CORPG, and no respectable dictionary/encyclopedia/game magazine/game website has tried to claim other games to be CORPG either.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• BonzoDogBonzoDog Member Posts: 4
    What difference does it make, can't we just all play the games we like and get on with life

some people like beer so dont should we argue about that too ??

if you like WoW then play that, we like guildwars and we play that

if you disagree with it being on here speak to the webmaster

seems a pointless discussion to me play what you like and feel good at

happy gaming to all

• SecromSecrom Member Posts: 318
    Originally posted by VGJustice

Pretty obvious troll attempt here, peoples.And just to piss you off, Telvannas: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. Guild Wars fits all of these criteria, but is a specialized form of that called a CORPG - Competitive Online Role Playing Game.
    Right on.

Massively Multiplayer: unlimited amount of players simultaneously connected. Checked (one could say it's even more massively multiplayer than most others since the player population isn't constrained to servers)

Online: Guild Wars is exclusively played online. Checked

Role Playing Game: which in any MMO out there is anyway limited to the development of persistent characters. Checked

GW created a niche instead of following the template of 98% of its sibblings (which doesn't mean the latter do the right thing). Heck, if we have to get picky, boot most games on this site, they removed the RPG part from MMORPG...

Sigh, will they ever cease?
  • LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Those saying that GW shouldn't be on MMORPG.com are just jealous that all 3 campaigns are in the top 5 and usually occupy the top 3 positions. Face it...Guild Wars is rated the best and trying to get it thrown off the site so that on of "your" games can finally be the "best" is just lame.
  • Verum0Verum0 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    I have been playing guilds wars since the launch of the game (basically to test a new pc) I enjoyed the game. To agree with everyone else it isn't an MMO. It is what could be more like a Diablo 3. It is almost he same game. Guild wras is fun easy to pick up and play. And there is millions of people always playing.
  • exanimoexanimo Member UncommonPosts: 1,301

ohhh well , i guess wow vs gw is taking a rest , we have to get back to gw is not mmorpg
    where is gameloading ?

i think this is a matter of open mind level u can reach ... for really closed minds , guildwars is a chat room. for open minds gw is a mmorpg with more people per square meter then wow.
    what is really funny is

massive multiplayer online role playing game means = 3D world , persistent , loot stealing , wait in line for end game quest npc spwm , 200 servers , 10 seconds lag , 1990 graffics , choping trees and fishing

if a game doesnt not match all those , its not a mmorpg

• ToadmonkeyToadmonkey Member UncommonPosts: 84
    "massive multiplayer online role playing game means = 3D world , persistent , loot stealing , wait in line for end game quest npc spwm , 200 servers , 10 seconds lag , 1990 graffics , choping trees and fishing"

lol    that is funny

Although, GWs has been stepping up to the plate........to get their "lag" going full steam ahead.
  • Telvannas is just trying to trolling. I just found this almost new post made by him

Originally posted by Telvannas

Guild Wars is Diablo without the fun.
    /discuss

Link: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/1302147#1302147

Jesus Christ,  Telvannas you are 27 year old like me. Please be a little mature then this foolish act of trolling. You are just upsetting people. But maybe that is you goal. Anyway, so much for that.

Like Serling sad,  why are you on MMORPG.com.?

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087
    Originally posted by Akaraxle

A MMORPG doesn't have to be persistent to be a MMORPG. Case closed.
    Really? [raises eyebrow]

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951
    I question the question of GW being on MMORPG.com.

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• WisebutCruelWisebutCruel Member Posts: 1,089
    Originally posted by DuraheLL

I question the question of GW being on MMORPG.com.

I question the questive reasoning behind your deduction that you should question the question of GW being on MMORPG.COM.

Therefore,I await your response to my inquisitive and questioning nature regarding the questionable circumstances of said questioning.

Originally posted by WisebutCruel
    I question the questive reasoning behind your deduction that you should question the question of GW being on MMORPG.COM.
    Therefore,I await your response to my inquisitive and questioning nature regarding the questionable circumstances of said questioning.

Thank you for reminding me why I come here instead of GWGuru XD

--~~--

• ParaTrooperParaTrooper Member Posts: 1,961
    There are a few points in http://www.mmorpg.com/faq.cfm/showFaq/4 that relate to Guild Wars.

At the end of the day while not all people consider it a MMORPG the website is here to cater for everyone.

*Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author... got sick of holding backspace.
    -----------------------------------------
    ParaTrooper, That guy that used to mod the MMORPG.com forums.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    Originally posted by Telvannas

Well, it's not really an MMORPG, is it? It's more like Diablo 2, without the craziness and twisted storyline. Really, I don't think it should be on this site, Guild Wars took the MMO out of MMORPG.
    Just because you can use npc's rather than real people to flesh out a party doesn't make it any less of an mmorpg than anything else.   It's not like you can pvp without the other players.  Just because it's a different take on the mmorpg genre doesn't really make it any less of an mmorpg than anything else.

Unlike many other games out there Guild Wars actually gives alot more control over how the game is played than most anything else on the market.  God's and Heroes will be using a system whereby players can get henchmen.. a good number of em too.  Does that mean its not an mmorpg?  Is Grenado Espada/Sword of the New World not an mmorpg?

Actually, if we want to get right down to it, because of the supposed communities in any number of these games and all the people with names like Ipwnjoo and usux and other inane moronic drivel NONE of these games are mmoRPG's and in fact are mmog's.  So maybe mmorpg.com should just shut its doors, along with mmorpgdot.com and half a dozen other sites.

Also, why make ANOTHER thread about the same topic thats been going on for what, 2 or 3 years now?
  • narakuunarakuu Member Posts: 348

First I was like wtf is guild wars doing on the gamelist in mmorpg.com? its not even an mmorpg.

...     ...     ...  that was actually all.... thats still what I think when I see it on the list.

• AkaraxleAkaraxle Member UncommonPosts: 471

Originally posted by LordSlater
    Originally posted by Akaraxle A MMORPG doesn't have to be persistent to be a MMORPG. Case closed.
    Really? [raises eyebrow]

It's called MMORPG and not MMOPRPG for a reason...