Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thanks to Blizzard I feel sick everytime I enter a MMO Forum!

TrelonistTrelonist Member UncommonPosts: 17

Oh yes, an other whiner.

I cannot believe what I'm reading.

Lotro compared to WoW

Vanguard compared to WoW

The Bible compared to WoW....

I can't believe what a big influence WoW turned out to be..

It ruined the MMOs.

Once upon a time a MMO was considered something different. Something interesting.

Something not out there.

Blizzard just came along, grabbed what it could reach and produced the perfectly

suitable ordinary MM-Ho that everyone could hump.

- Playing WoW does not make you Professors of MMOlegy.

- WoW is NOT everybody's aim and most certainly not the measure of all things

Try to find your own values and points.

It sickens me

"stupidity is its own reward"

Comments

• patri0tzpatri0tz Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Thanks to Blizzard, you feel harmful to physical health when you enter an MMO forum?  I think the word you're looking for is nauseous.
  • rob1101rob1101 Member Posts: 263
    well you have to compare a game to something... it would only make sense to compare it to the most successful game to date
  • TrelonistTrelonist Member UncommonPosts: 17

successfull? yes!

good? no!

Success does not say anything about Quality...

• Sanctus_MorsSanctus_Mors Member Posts: 597

I feel the same way about Elvis

He ruined all music going forward.

(Sorry, just being snarky)

your arguement is so persuasive, so filled with knowledge and insight. You back up your argument very articulately, with suggestions of improvements and raising examples to glorify your position....oh wait, you didn't

• Keebs1984Keebs1984 Member Posts: 1,356

Yay another "Lets complain about Blizzard" thread.

Like we need those.

Seriously how can you justify your thread when you enter these forums with "I hate people who complain", and then start complaining?

Eternally mine,
    Keebs

The MMO gaming blog I write for.

• godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416
    As much as you may hate to believe it, WoW has changed the industry.

Prior to WoW the default system to leveling was the mob grind. Endless hours of mindless 'camping' in the hope of getting a tiny percentage of XP. For many, Blizzard put the 'fun' back into MMO. Today the quest system has been adopted by all MMO's and it is now the favored method of progression by those both new to the industry and those veteran.

WoW has its faults, but I give credit where it is due. Blizzards dedication to pushing out a 'ready' product was examplary and has caused todays game companys to reconsider their direction. Before WoW it was normality for MMO's to be released in tragic states and to continue its 'Beta' phase well into retail. WoW's 8 million subscriber success has proved in numbers to the men in suits, that prolonged and invested development results in huge success. We are beginining to see the results of Blizzards labour with titles such as Warhammer and Age of Conan...

While I do agree, the level of inteligence behind some posters threads is embarassing. Comparing MMO's is like comparing Beer to Wine.

---

• benhaminebenhamine Member Posts: 74
    Originally posted by Trelonist

Oh yes, an other whiner.

Lotro compared to WoW

Vanguard compared to WoW

It ruined the MMOs.

Once upon a time a MMO was considered something different. Something interesting.

Something not out there.

Blizzard just came along, grabbed what it could reach and produced the perfectly

It sickens me
    I am neither satisfied with WoW or a fan-boy but I still compare MMO's that I talk about to WoW.  The only reason is that WoW is the most well known MMO out there.  WoW has been the most successful therefore the easiest to relate to new MMO's that come out.  Just because someone relates something to WoW doesn't mean that they enjoy WoW (read my website's review of WoW if you don't believe me {below}).  I will agree that it sucks what WoW has done to MMO's.  Developers now think that that's how they have to do an MMO.  However, I'm still going to compare MMO's to it even though I feel this way.  That's just how it is and it's the best way to get your message across to the people reading your ideas.

-Benhamine
  • whitedelightwhitedelight Member Posts: 1,544

I believe that what we have to do is hope. Hope for a newer game that will be coming out to do well in sales while they try something new. The combat in Age of Conan for instance. If the game is a hit and it sells well, while doing this whole new combat thing, then this will be a step forward in the genre and it will encourage other developers to try new things.

If, on the other hand, the game fails trying this new style of combat, then it will a step back for the gaming industry. If a game like Conan comes out trying something new and it doesn't go well you can bett your bottom dollar that other developers will be watching and see how risky it is to try something new, and we will then be stuck playing the same games in different skins for years.

Originally posted by godpuppet

Prior to WoW the default system to leveling was the mob grind. Endless hours of mindless 'camping' in the hope of getting a tiny percentage of XP. For many, Blizzard put the 'fun' back into MMO. Today the quest system has been adopted by all MMO's and it is now the favored method of progression by those both new to the industry and those veteran.

WoW has its faults, but I give credit where it is due. Blizzards dedication to pushing out a 'ready' product was examplary and has caused todays game companys to reconsider their direction. Before WoW it was normality for MMO's to be released in tragic states and to continue its 'Beta' phase well into retail. WoW's 8 million subscriber success has proved in numbers to the men in suits, that prolonged and invested development results in huge success. We are beginining to see the results of Blizzards labour with titles such as Warhammer and Age of Conan...

While I do agree, the level of inteligence behind some posters threads is embarassing. Comparing MMO's is like comparing Beer to Wine.

EQ 1 was introducing Instanced-Gameplay before WoW did.

The only reason why WoW is that succesful is that Blizzard has made a name before. No one heard of Verdant or Sigil before they started making EQ1/Vanguard! Blizzard has made enough money from Starcraft, Warcraft and Diablo.

They had no financial pressure. It's making and it's being cannot be compared because there is a gigantic name behind the game.

In my opinion WoW had made MMOs easier. Easier for everyone else to join the "fun".

Turns out -> it wasn't that fun to play afterall!

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936
    It's a conversation piece really.  They also aim at folks with thin skins and know they'll be rankled.  Button-pushing really. 

What if they posted their usual trivial tripe and NO ONE responded?

What a concept...

Might just be the bug spray some of these forums need.

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• DowieDowie Member Posts: 280

Oh yes, an other whiner.

Lotro compared to WoW

Vanguard compared to WoW

It ruined the MMOs.

Something not out there.

It sickens me
    *nods*  I can't agree more
  • JowenJowen Member Posts: 326
    World of Warcraft IS the McDonalds of MMO's.

Now, why do we not see people judging restaurants by comparing them to McD?
    Originally posted by Jowen

couldnt have made it clearer thx.

• ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978

WOW is the most obvious example of this. However, they clearly did not invent the systems currently in place and popular. The idea of quests throughout your entire leveling period, and as the main means of leveling, was already in place in City of Heroes long before WOW came out (COH beat WOW to market by a fair number of months).  COH lumped its quests ("missions" in COH parlance) into "story arcs" that you would follow along as you leveled. With the exception, right after launch, of what people in COH called "content gaps" (where you'd run out of quests and still have to gain half a level before opening up new ones) -- which were fairly rare even the day it launched -- you played COH by doing quests (missions) not by grinding random mobs. (Oh, people could, and did, "street grind" in COH, but you didn't have to, and the majority of players did their leveling via story arcs and missions/quests.)

COH never hit the account level of WOW, but it's pretty certain that one reason why WOW and later games started putting the "quest-oriented" stuff into their games is because COH was fairly successful at it.

C
  • euangelioneuangelion Member Posts: 109

Well put and I totally agree, I'm pretty sick of WoW's constant comparison to other MMOs. I know everyone has played it and it's quite a few peoples first mmo, but it simply not a good example of what a MMO should look like. That being said I'm bias towards it because I was bored in the first 15 minutes of play and then put up with the bordom till 60, lol don't get me started on the horrible gfx...

Tried: Vanguard, UO, Rappelz, Archlord, RF Online, SWG, WAR, Ryzom, Anarchy Online, AC, APB, STO, Perfect World, Black Prophecy...

Played: EQ,EQII, Lineage, Lineage 2, GW, EVE Online, AoC, DoAC, iRO, AC2, WoW, SWTOR, Runes of Magic, Allods, Rift..
    Currently Playing: Tera

The only reason why WoW is that succesful is that Blizzard has made a name before. No one heard of Verdant or Sigil before they started making EQ1/Vanguard! Blizzard has made enough money from Starcraft, Warcraft and Diablo.

They had no financial pressure. It's making and it's being cannot be compared because there is a gigantic name behind the game.
    Yet a major number of WoW players had not even touched Warcraft 3 & Diablo. Myself included.

Blizzard had financial pressure from Vivendi, Blizzard did initially want a longer closed beta phase but Vivendi forced it out.

---

• isurusisurus Member Posts: 396
    Grinding quests is no different than grinding mobs. 

• graillgraill Member Posts: 257

in that case wow needs to stop using transfat.......

can you smell that?!!...............there is nothing quite like it.....................the smell of troll in the morning............i love that smell.

Originally posted by XApotheosisX

You're right it has change the industry, it has dumbed down the industry and instead of the industry going forward it has reverted to the basics.

before WoW we were starting to move in a good direction moving forward. MMOs were trying to be innovative with its content, combat and character design. Then WoW came along and with the morons that played it basically killed that innovation off.

What innovation is that?

Would you care to oblige some official information of an MMO prior to 2004 that was innovative in nature, that immediately changed direction after WoW retailed?

What was innovative about 2003/4? SWG? EQ2? Ryzom?

---

• KelnonKelnon Member Posts: 19

Couldn't put it better myself.  Serves a lot of people, but the food isn't really all that good.  Only difference between mcdsonalds vs a fancy resturant and wow vs other mmos, is that other mmos are all about the same prices (give or take)

You're right it has change the industry, it has dumbed down the industry and instead of the industry going forward it has reverted to the basics.

before WoW we were starting to move in a good direction moving forward. MMOs were trying to be innovative with its content, combat and character design. Then WoW came along and with the morons that played it basically killed that innovation off.

What innovation is that?

Would you care to oblige some official information of an MMO prior to 2004 that was innovative in nature, that immediately changed direction after WoW retailed?

Vanguard introduced (as far as I know) Diplomacy.

You re able to get a horse through quests or through Diplomacy.

Age of Conan will introduce a completly new Combat System...

There certainly is more to come.... I m not a reporter who s aware of it all.

But you get my point. ^^

• snipergsniperg Member Posts: 863
    WoW was one of those MMO's that really the advantages it had outweighted its disadvantages.

1) It came in a time with no serious competition.

2) It had removed at least till you hit max level all the tedious things that characterised most MMO's. Although i had played other games WoW was one of the very few that i could actually play even if i had only an hour to spare. How many other mmo's can actually claim that?

3) Graphics although low-end ment also wider population that could play.

4) The other companies imo instead of either a) make unique systems to counter Blizzard or b) take the better aspects of the game and improve them with their own they just try to copy it INCLUDING the aspects that are not desirable.

So far WAR and AoC seem to at least try to offer something different and/or unique plus they seem to base themselves in already establised names that can attract fans of them.

I am sure in the long term we will see that half-assed attempts of mmo's to dwindle because the competion has higher standards than before.

A friend is not him who provides support during your failures.A friend is the one that cheers you during your successes.

• whitedelightwhitedelight Member Posts: 1,544

It is more or less just a popular fast food chain that people go to because the name is reckognizable. Like you said, the food isn't all that good, but it is cheap and fast and people will pay for that even if the food will make you sick.

There are much better options but since it is easy to access and fast, you will go and buy food from there, even though a healthier place is just 20 minutes down the road. Thank you McDonalds for making America fat! Thank you World of Warcrft for making America obese!

What innovation is that?

Vanguard introduced (as far as I know) Diplomacy.

You re able to get a horse through quests or through Diplomacy.

Age of Conan will introduce a completly new Combat System...

There certainly is more to come.... I m not a reporter who s aware of it all.

But you get my point. ^^Bah, different person. Read the entire quotes before posting any old crap please.

---

• CaleSentariCaleSentari Member Posts: 178

Although I think there are too many WoW vs. *Blank* as well...

One possible answer is in restaurants there are more identifiable sub-groups (i.e. fast-food, sit-down or "family" restaurants, fine-dining, etc.) that people will generally recognize than you might in MMORPG's. 

If you were to ask someone to try and judge/describe the pros and cons of a particular fast-food restaurant, the comparisons to Mcdonalds would be more frequent.  Well, at least I would imagine.

People use WoW as a reference point because people know a poo-load of people have at least played it.  I don't mind it as a reference point, but I like many of you here are sick of it being used as an end-all measuring stick.