Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stick to mmorpg,s pls!

forestdutchforestdutch Member Posts: 175

If you put game like guildwars here its confusing GW is no mmorpg its not even massive why?

Becouse the design of the game is you log in you come in lobby this lobby look same design as ingame world but its no part off it its only fellow making room and then you go to mission with small fellow and instance GW is a dungeon siege or diablo or phantasy star online game absolutely no mmorpg.

And true its in sense of log in game massive but becouse its no part of game it self its only waiting lobby nothing more and for me definition of mmorpg is somewhat different then.

Remember its only a suggestion nothing more if you guys think it belong here ok thats your dicision.

For me is mmrorpg.com a place to look up for mmorpg info so when games like this also aloud here  maybe chance name of mmorpg.com then? 

Comments

• WolftzWolftz Member Posts: 9

It isn't exactly an MMORPG, and they say that in the website but it is still somewhat considered one, everyone is connected to the same server and all can contact each other, and yes you only play with a few at a time, depending on where you go. There is also the town though, that is like any other MMORPG game's town, people just talking, trading, etc. So I would say that guild wars at least has a slight bit of MMORPG in it.

• TalentTalent Member UncommonPosts: 51

I think guild wars fits into the MMORpG mold just fine, guess it's a matter of how you define the term MMORPG.

MMORPG in my best def would be: A massive ONLINE world consisting of some roleplaying elements.

GW matches my definition just fine.

I think any game you take the role of a char which is not like yourself is in fact roleplaying. Much like holding a sword, or wearing armor, you take the persona of the avator on the screen maybe not with eloquent words but by just actions alone.

• WolftzWolftz Member Posts: 9
    I agree with you Talent, it is just a new and different MMORPG, and with all that's new and good there is always complaints. So what else to expect, right?

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Yes, it is a MMORPG in our opinion.  You seem to be on a rampage against this game and it being defined as a MMORPG forest...I think enough is enough already - it is borderlining on spamming image

The fact that massive amounts of people can be in a single area together creates the "massive" enviornment.  You will trade and interact with thousands of players in a persistent world.  Even if this is only in cities - this is no different than "The Sims Online" or "Second Life" or "There" or "A Tale In The Desert" - it just does not fit the mold of what YOU like and enjoy.

I believe that it is just a different concept for a MMORPG, and I guarantee you this is why the game is free.  The bandwidth requirements for 100+ people in a zone compared to 8 is astounding from a networking and programming level.  In a zone with 100 people if 1 character moves from point a to b it has to be transmitted to 100 players, so if that transmission was 100 bytes of data it would consume 10K of bandwidth, with 8 people it would be only 800 bytes of bandwidth.  Now when all 100 people move in the same second, that is 1MB worth of data compared to 6.4K for the 8 player zone...quite a difference!  And bandwidth is one of the leading costs behind MMORPG games...and the sole reason that MMOs have a fee and games like Diablo and Warcraft are free to play on game servers.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• OracleP4OracleP4 Member Posts: 495
    I think considering this site covers Planetside, we can all agree that the scope of this website is not so narrow as to prevent people from being able to enjoy themselves. Alas, the anal retentive amongst us will never be satisfied unless they are able to complain about whether or not Guild Wars is a MMORPG or not.

-------------------
    "Do I come to your workplace and tell you how to kill civilians? No, so don't tell me how to do my job" - Sam Fischer.

--OracleP4

-------------------
    "Do I come to your workplace and tell you how to kill civilians? No, so don't tell me how to do my job" - Sam Fischer.

--OracleP4

Like: DAoC, WOW, GW, DnL
    Dislike: SoR, EQ, EQ2, SWG, KO, AC2, CoH
    Don't Care About: Most Everything Else

• Smelly_ArmorSmelly_Armor Member UncommonPosts: 571

Come on forestdutch. There is a group of you that doesn't like GW, and that's ok. It's your opinion, but don't spam and flame.::::26::

The rest of us get it. You don't like GW and don't think it's a mmorpg. As for the rest of us, we happen to like the simplicity of GW and enjoyed playing the alpha demo.::::34::

BTW, there is no concrete definition for a mmorpg. The word massive is open to interpretation. The mmorpg genre is still young compared to other gaming formats. GW belongs here, along with DarkSpace, EvE and some others.

If you don't like the game. Ok. Say it and then find one you do like.

"The probability of someone watching you is porportional to the stupidity of your action." Hartley's 1st Law

• ObiyerObiyer Member Posts: 511

No, even the developers said GW is not a MMORPG. The reason it's always has been here is because of the popularity. People are trying to rationalize it, and it becomes one of those pseudonyms you hear when someone gets pulled over for speeding. Their only excuse: 'Everyone else does it.'

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623
    Actually, it is here because *we* define it as a MMORPG.  If you read our requirements for a game to be on our list (in the FAQ) - you will see that it meets or exceeds them.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• ObiyerObiyer Member Posts: 511

LOL

Actually, it is here because *we* define it as a MMORPG.

Exactly what I said.

• MaximaneMaximane Member CommonPosts: 625

One thing to note is that we do not *just* go for the popular titles. You will find our Game List also includes the less famous games as well.

--------------------
    Alex "Maximane" De Line
    - MMORPG.COM Staff -

• numaticnumatic Member UncommonPosts: 670

It's true it is an MMO. And GW DID say it was an MMORPG. Just a different style, in what they called a CORPG(competative online role playing game). The fact is, thousands of players are online at any given time, even if it is just in a city. Dont think of the city as just 1 city, they have different zones for each city. But since it was just an alpha demo, i expect the retail release to be much larger.