Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW endgame vs EQ2 endgame

ShadowZEROShadowZERO Member Posts: 102
Ok first off i'd like to say it scares me to start a thread with a title like "This game VS That Game" because of the obvious biased forum-goers that would likely skew the valid information with their bias.  But what i'm looking for here is some unbiased information.

First off, i'm an EQ2 vet, played up until right before EoF was released.(stupid time to quit i know).  I took a brief hiatus to play a text based MUD that i've been playing on and off for over a decade now.  Now i've decided to pick up on a 3D game again, and rather than just go right back to EQ2 i thought i'd give WoW a try.

I absolutely loved the rogue classes in EQ2 so i decided to give the WoW rogue a try first.  At first i was kind of dissapointed in the fact that there doesn't seem to be a way to make the WoW rogue like the EQ2 brigand, which combat with the brigand mainly consisted of chain-stunning-rooting or otherwise making your target face the opposide direction so you could thrash the mob with your many, many backstabs.

Despite that, there's a lot of things about WoW that feel more "real" that in EQ2 that i can't quite explain yet because i'm still a noob to Wow.  Either way, i think i may be hanging around WoW for the higher levels.

Ok, on to the question:

I completed a lot of the EQ2 end-game-ish content during the KoS expansion.  I had a decent time in groups doing Claymore-quest related stuff, and especially enjoyed the solo content thrown in between the group and raid stuff.

What i'm looking for is as unbiased as possible an opinion of WoW endgame VS EQ2 endgame, coming from the perspective that i'm familiar with EQ2 but not WoW.  I would like an answer from someone who has gotten to the end of both games, not just hitting max level and saying thats it, but who has completed a lot of the content as well(such as Claymore for EQ2).

And last but defenetly most important, my main decision of whether or not to stick with WoW or go back to EQ2 is the "Solo vs Group" issue.  In the KoS expansion, SoE seemed to be sticking with the concept of if you want the best gear, you have to raid or at least group for it.  I know WoW has a lot of focus on raiding and group instances as well at higher levels, but basically i'm looking for the game that provides the maximum ability to power up your character without having to group or raid, and that has the solo content to match.  I'm looking for the game that at higher levels has the largest amount of solo content and decent gear obtainable by solo players.

Comments

• gozzgullgozzgull Member Posts: 71
    Wow is ezmode the whole game, kinda EQ2 ezmode but a borring raidraidraidraidraid kind.  (Hit 63 and had a mental breakdown... I dont plan on playing again )

The whole game is gear centered basically by end game for pvp / raiding.  I think youd hate it comming from eq2.
  • ShadowZEROShadowZERO Member Posts: 102
    Originally posted by gozzgull

Wow is ezmode the whole game, kinda EQ2 ezmode but a borring raidraidraidraidraid kind.  (Hit 63 and had a mental breakdown... I dont plan on playing again )

The whole game is gear centered basically by end game for pvp / raiding.  I think youd hate it comming from eq2.
    Ok, most of your post i can't even tell what game your actually talking about.  I think i'm going to cross-post in the EQ2 forums(just since this pertains to that game as much as WoW.)  hopefully i'll find someone who can give me a more... detailed explanation.
  • HellsReignHellsReign Member UncommonPosts: 23
    I played WoW for nearly 2 years on and off (took random breaks b/c of boredom and just recently quit for the last, terminated account). WoW end-game is silly. Its repetitive of the same junk and by the time you get to 70 chances are blizzard has taken out there trusted "nerf stick" and beat the hell out of your fav class.

I played a Rogue for a great majority of my WoW career. The end-game pre xpac was fun, the post-xpac as a rogue is suckie. Mages and Warlocks are always out doing my dps when we were equally geared b4 pre xpac it'd be a close, occasional me on top occasionall our best mage on top etc. The end-game PvP isnt that satifactory either, even on a pvp server. Sure the occasional epic battle ion a zone can be intense, but seeing the same mage multiple times gets boring quick for me.

As last posted said WoW is GEAR based, idc what anybody says. It only comes down to skill when you find sumbody whose got basically the same gear. A nub can pwn the hell out of a vet if he goes out anfd buys an account. etc

Never played EQ2 though so i got no experience there.

*EDIT* Forgot to say, the gear you can attain from just solo questing/farming is nothing compared to what you can aquire through raiding/group (in both pve and pvp).
  • TedDansonTedDanson Member Posts: 513
    Originally posted by ShadowZERO

Ok first off i'd like to say it scares me to start a thread with a title like "This game VS That Game" because of the obvious biased forum-goers that would likely skew the valid information with their bias.  But what i'm looking for here is some unbiased information.

First off, i'm an EQ2 vet, played up until right before EoF was released.(stupid time to quit i know).  I took a brief hiatus to play a text based MUD that i've been playing on and off for over a decade now.  Now i've decided to pick up on a 3D game again, and rather than just go right back to EQ2 i thought i'd give WoW a try.

I absolutely loved the rogue classes in EQ2 so i decided to give the WoW rogue a try first.  At first i was kind of dissapointed in the fact that there doesn't seem to be a way to make the WoW rogue like the EQ2 brigand, which combat with the brigand mainly consisted of chain-stunning-rooting or otherwise making your target face the opposide direction so you could thrash the mob with your many, many backstabs.

Despite that, there's a lot of things about WoW that feel more "real" that in EQ2 that i can't quite explain yet because i'm still a noob to Wow.  Either way, i think i may be hanging around WoW for the higher levels.

Ok, on to the question:

I completed a lot of the EQ2 end-game-ish content during the KoS expansion.  I had a decent time in groups doing Claymore-quest related stuff, and especially enjoyed the solo content thrown in between the group and raid stuff.

What i'm looking for is as unbiased as possible an opinion of WoW endgame VS EQ2 endgame, coming from the perspective that i'm familiar with EQ2 but not WoW.  I would like an answer from someone who has gotten to the end of both games, not just hitting max level and saying thats it, but who has completed a lot of the content as well(such as Claymore for EQ2).

And last but defenetly most important, my main decision of whether or not to stick with WoW or go back to EQ2 is the "Solo vs Group" issue.  In the KoS expansion, SoE seemed to be sticking with the concept of if you want the best gear, you have to raid or at least group for it.  I know WoW has a lot of focus on raiding and group instances as well at higher levels, but basically i'm looking for the game that provides the maximum ability to power up your character without having to group or raid, and that has the solo content to match.  I'm looking for the game that at higher levels has the largest amount of solo content and decent gear obtainable by solo players.

To answer your last question;

Before Burning Crusade I would've told you it is impossible to gear up solo in WoW. Basically back then the only way to get decent gear (aside from pvp'ing 24/7/365 of course) was to Raid. But now, even though I've had my fill of WoW and uninstalled, I'd say you can get decently geared up by questing which most can be done solo, or running 5-10 man instances for an hour at a time. They've really tried to make WoW less raid intensive right now so things are looking up.

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

EQ2 and Classical WoW end game are basically the same, you want the best gear you have to work for it.

However comes TBC this concept changed somewhat a little. There are many quests and faction grinds and heroic instances and arenas that you can do to get great gear. These are not the absolute best but the disparity between raiders and non-raiders are smaller than before. In classical WoW, the gear disparity of a hardcore raider and a non-raider is huge. In post TBC however this disparity is smaller however just to be fair a raider will still of course have slightly better gear than a non-raider. TBC end game STILL gives the best gear to raiders however at least non-raiders will at least have that chance in the arenas versus a raider compared to classic-WoW.

Does this mean TBC gives FREE epix without effort? No, you will STILL have to work for your epix in TBC. The only difference is in the way you acquire your equipment. A raider will of course have the usual 10-25 man raid dungeons where epix drop their Tier 4-5 PvE sets. A non-raider will have several options in obtaining good epic gear such as Heroic 5 man instances (mind you heroic dungeons are NO cake walk) and Faction rewards as well as playing in the arena system (the best arena set gear are on par with Tier 4.5 sets at least).

Then there's the significant amount of BoP (bind on pickup) dropped receipes. Many BoP recipes will only drop for persons in a party with the required skill to make it (some of them are epic in quality). This prevent non-tradskillers and greedy people from rolling your tradekill recipes. If there are noone in the party that can make the item when it's chance to drop occurs then the recipe will not drop. The amount of BoE recipes are significantly reduced compared to pre-TBC WoW (I'd say about 80% of the TBC recipes are now BoP). This reduces the amount of BoE recipes from clogging up the AH, prevents greedy party members from rolling on your recipes as well as ensure those who can use and need the reciepe will get them).

If you must absolutely MUST HAVE the best equipment in the game, then yes, you will still be required to raid. If you can be happy with a slighly lesser equipment then you can still obtain them in many other ways that does not require you to step inside a raid dungeon.

• HuriaHuria Member Posts: 311
    It doesn't matter how much less raid they made it. The end game is still all raid. On that note I quit WoW due to nothing to do end game but raid raid raid. I haven't played a lot of EQ2 but at least I can do other stuff but raid at end game (Even if its little stuff like decorate my house).
  • LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665
    Make no mistake the core of WoW gameplay is raiding / dungeoning / pvping. If you do not like doing raids or dungeons or pvp then sorry, the game has nothing else for you. Unlike EQ2 or Vanguard where you can spend hours upon hours grinding tradeskill WoW gameplay is focus much more on fast paced combat.
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by Huria

It doesn't matter how much less raid they made it. The end game is still all raid. On that note I quit WoW due to nothing to do end game but raid raid raid. I haven't played a lot of EQ2 but at least I can do other stuff but raid at end game (Even if its little stuff like decorate my house).

I agree, and if I should quit WoW (which is a game i love), this would be my reason too.

It's not less raid or anything like that after TBC - raid is STILL what end-game is all about. Not everything is ready yet, though, like The Black Temple. Sure, you have Arena, but reading a few analyzes on the time consumption to earn decent stuff doing it, keeps me far away from even trying.

As I said in another post: you can solo all the way to 70 (aka casual-friendly), then it's all about raid. If there's something I really dislike about WoW, then this is it.

Hmm well i'm definetly not liking what i'm hearing so far, but i want to make a few points clear.

First of all there were solo timelines in EQ2 even at high levels that gave you something to do.  The rewards were pretty crappy but at least you had quests to grind on.  This is all i'm really looking for.  Like i said, i'm an EQ2 vet and i did enjoy raiding and grouping somewhat, i'd just rather gravitate towards the game that (even by a small amount) is a tad more solo friendly at upper levels.  Even if the solo quest gear or drops is just a little more on par with group/raid gear than in EQ2 i'd be happy.  Even if there's just a few more quests to grind on at higher levels in WoW i'd be happy.  In EQ2, gear was heavily tiered.  If you weren't raiding or doing heroic quests/instances than your gear was utter crap.  I realize the focus of WoW is dungeon instance/raid grinding but i'd like to put that stuff off as long as possible while i enjoy the solo ride to 70.

Can anyone give a comparison between the quality of solo-obtained gear and group-obtained gear in WoW; vs the quality of solo-obtained gear and group obtained gear in EQ2?  Or will i simply be hard pressed to find a player who has experienced enough content of both games?
  • DrFodDrFod Member Posts: 63
    I have played both games to the level cap. The difference being that I'm still playing EQ2 months after I hit 70 but quit WoW just weeks after I hit 60 (pre-TBC). One thing that both games have in common is that if you want the very best gear you're going to have to raid for it. There's no getting away from this and I don't see how both games can do it differently. EQ2 makes it a little more interesting as some of the raids are tied in with long and complex quest lines and with these you are guaranteed your piece of fabled gear at the end.

I loved WoW up to 60 but quickly got disillusioned with the end game, and I think that anyone going from EQ2 to WoW would be disappointed with the lack of end-game content, plus other things like player housing and decent tradeskilling.
    Well, i don't know if my question is being asked in a manner that can be answered, but here's one more go at it.  Let me re-state my original comment:

I'm looking for the game that at higher levels has the largest amount of solo content and decent gear obtainable by solo players.

The main thing i'm trying to get across is that I understand that grouping is always going to give the best gear, second to raiding.  I understand that both WoW and EQ2 (unfortunatly for gamers like me) are raid/group centric at the end.

Main point is this:  One of the 2 games has to have a more solo-friendly end game.  Take all the aspects of the game i don't want to consider out:  raiding, grouping, PvPing, crafting (not that i'm against those things) and there has to be a slight winner on the game that provides the best solo content.  Mainly solo quests, and solo quests that give fairly decent rewards.

A lot of good things have been said about both expansions, so its going to be hard to judge because its very unlikely that there is someone playing both.

I looks like i have about 1 vote for EQ2 thus far as far as posts go.  Right now i'm leaning towards sticking with WoW because it has a more complex character development system at first, and by far the most solo friendly content at low levels.  Who knows, i might have to play both games to 70 to find out for myself which is more solo friendly.
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by ShadowZERO

I'm looking for the game that at higher levels has the largest amount of solo content and decent gear obtainable by solo players.
    Then quit WoW. There are NO options whatsover to let you get any decent gear while playing solo at lvl 70, at least comparing with raid rewards. The only thing you CAN do solo in WoW at lvl 70, is farming, either for money or rep with lower factions. Outland factions WILL also require that you do instances, both group and raid.
  • NshtielNshtiel Member Posts: 26
    I haven't played EQ2, but I can say WoW isn't that bad right now. Eventually you will run out of quests at 70, once you do Shadowmoon Valley and Netherstorm (they both have a lot of quests, so it may take a little time). After that, you can get pretty good gear if you do lots of 5 mans. Then after that, it's time to start raiding.

People say raiding in WoW is boring, but it's a heck of a lot more interactive than just about any other RPG. Most of these people probably haven't gotten past Huhuran, Anub'rekan, or Curator and talk about WoW raiding like they've been there, done that.

WoW raiding is boring and ezmode because you have CTRaidAssist telling you, "Onyxia Deep Breath incoming! Move to the sides!"

WoW raiding is boring and ezmode because you have Threatmeter telling you when you're about to pull aggro off the main tank.

You didn't have anything like that in EQ1, but then again, in Vex Thal you just turned on Autoattack standing behind a trash mob and walk away and make a sandwich. 12-15 minutes later, it was dead and the only people that ever had to pay attention were the healers and the tank.

As your rogue progresses, you will learn more stuns and incapacitating effects to circle around your targets and pull off backstabs.

Since I haven't played EQ2 I can't give you a direct comparison though. Sorry!

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." -H.P. Lovecraft, "The Call of Cthulhu"

• JWPikeJWPike Member Posts: 71
    I have not done raiding as I am not giving my life over to a computer game. Those that do ae sad and I pity them. If they made it so casual gamers could get good equipment to without raiding I might be ok wih the game and be able to handle the 95% of the immature people  Isee.
  • seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

First of all, WoW as lots of quest, and i mean lots. Some raid instances actually request you to go do quest to get some neck piece etc. to enter does raids instances.  

Like in TBC to get the lvl70 key to open up some instances you need to complete a long chain quest. But for rogues no need as per if you max out your lockpicking skill to 350 you are good to open up all the doors there :) .

Also once you hit 70 and from there you finish the lvl70 quest to access your raid instances and all the other quest for the gear thats gona get you ready to be able to survive in does raid instances, then you can finish up all the quest you did not do before you hit 70 eg: quest that you could have done form lvl 1 to 70, in return it gives you gold instead of xp. :)

There is also World drops they can be very good and can be sell fro a good amount on the AH in WoW.

In TBC you also have to choose wich faction you are gona go with Aldor vs Scryer and depending on wich you choose you get different rewards, eg: enchants, recipies etc.etc. Also to get does rewards you need to complete quests. ( Lots of quest to get exalted with them ). 

Still lots to do but at one point you will hit the end, and that end is that you dont have any new content anymore to do. Can take a long time if you dont make the mistake of lvling up your toon to fast just to be cool and if you actually do the quest in there.

Then if you want you raid and PvP.

Also the gear that you can get at lvl70 in regular instances are good enought you you know how to play your toon. I saw lots of time lvl50 kicking the ass of lvl 63, so as you can see it is not only the gear but also the skill. And when i say skill i dont say macro's.

Lame people use macro's for all there PvP :)