Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Average age for a gamer? 29. 41% now female.

http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/24129.htm

"Gamers' average ages clock in at 29, according to a new survey - and 41 percent of gamers are women.

The $11 billion video-game industry is trying to target gamers in their 20s and 30s - and the owners of some of New York's hottest clubs now boast video-game consoles for their grown-up clientele. "

The funny part about this is people are going out on dates to play video games. I assume they must be playing the SIMS I couldn't see Counter Strike as to put poeple in the mood.

-=-=-=-=-
"We're a game that's focused on grouping and on solo play, you know, more group oriented, more solo play..."
John Blakely Senior lead for EQ2. Link

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

-=-=-=-=-
Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Comments

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

Well its pretty cool to see video games making it into the "norm"
    its interesting to see there skates walking around saying pwnd, and newb (yes its annoying, cause we've been putting up with it on hte internet for years) and the them its brand new lol.

Or the fact that is become more and more socially acceptable to play CPU games, and I can rember when it was Nerdy to own a commador 64.. now people are all buying X-Box's its a great accomplishment.

I think its nice to see that society as a whole is starting to accept video games.
    not at the level of idolizing publicly your fav game desginer, but give it a while.

Althought pwning your date at the bar in CS sounds like fun.. lol

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996
    I proudly hold up my C64, the best years of my childhood were spent pecking in code onto that thing. Sure It was "nerdy" but the highschool quarterback is now pumping gas. So you tell me where the time was better spent?

I pretty sure you would have to let your date win at CS. In fact as a general tip, always let your date win, or your going to be spending allot of time alone playing CS.

-=-=-=-=-
    "We're a game that's focused on grouping and on solo play, you know, more group oriented, more solo play..."

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Age does not suprise me .Most of my guilds in DAoC and EQ were all post 30.I was the youngest in my EQ guild in 2000.I think in pay to play it might even be as high as 35 average(just a guess).Good to see more females playing(cough sims).

• seabass20011seabass20011 Member Posts: 10

41% seems kinda high for female gamers.

While playing DAOC in my guild there was only 3 women that I knew were definately females,and the guild I was in had maybe 50 or so members.

Age seems right, I always feel so young when im playing MMORPG, but feel so old when playing FPS=p

I guess all the women are playing The Sims=p

• numaticnumatic Member UncommonPosts: 670

Actually i tend to feel old in these MMO's even though im 21. because even these guys in there 30's will act like they are 12 sometimes. Really sad. I saw a video on one of those humor websites. It was a video of a guy playing, i think it was counterstrike and he couldnt have been younger then 30. Anyhow, he flipped out and started cursing and slamming his keyboard on his desk. It was a "friend" thing and they were taping it. All his friends were laughing at him. It was quite hilarious.

So next time you see a player type BHJBJKBSDBAKSKNJ pwqope9wer its likely his keyboard has met its demise against his computer desk. image

• AprillyAprilly Member UncommonPosts: 124

Originally posted by seabass20011

While playing DAOC in my guild there was only 3 women that I knew were definately females,and the guild I was in had maybe 50 or so members.
    Age seems right, I always feel so young when im playing MMORPG, but feel so old when playing FPS=p

This woman is not playing the SIMS.  That is nothing more than a glorified chat room.

I have played and enjoyed Anarchy Online, DOAC, UO, SWG, Everquest, Asherons Call, Rubies of Eventide, and FFXI.

That which does not kill you only makes you stronger.

• TzaleTzale Member Posts: 143

Good for them, I don't care who and what age's the people playing the games are. I join a game to get away from my real life, where gender and age mean everything. In a game world, I can be who I want to be. Sure it's good to know this stuff for marketing the games to people, but I'm sure most people have it in them to be gamers. It's not something you just wake up one day and say I want to become a gamer.

• OracleP4OracleP4 Member Posts: 495

I can easily believe the average age of 29 for gamers, as gaming becomes a lot more acceptable and popular among people who aren't kids anymore.

However I think that 41% of gamers are female is a little high. I mean if 41% of all gamers really were female, shouldn't there have been a lot more females at something like E3? I mean the only women there are the booth babes.  That survey probably just asked, have you ever played a video or computer game.

-------------------
    "Do I come to your workplace and tell you how to kill civilians? No, so don't tell me how to do my job" - Sam Fischer.

--OracleP4

-------------------
    "Do I come to your workplace and tell you how to kill civilians? No, so don't tell me how to do my job" - Sam Fischer.

--OracleP4

Like: DAoC, WOW, GW, DnL
    Dislike: SoR, EQ, EQ2, SWG, KO, AC2, CoH
    Don't Care About: Most Everything Else

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

That 41% females gamer statistic more than likely includes people that play games like those available at MS's Zone, Yahoo, and AO.... ::::04:: Whew that was close. I almost wrote it all out.

And I'm 49.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • DominaxDominax Member Posts: 62
    alot more females are playing video games,my fiancee and I used to play anarchy online together and entered all closed/open beta's together. Most women nowadays click with what there husband/boyfriend are doing because it's starting to attract that group.I mean look at almost ALL the games nowadays and even in the past...there has been female characters in it,now WHY would they put them there if there are NO females playing it?

• OracleP4OracleP4 Member Posts: 495
    I'm not saying a lot of women don't play video games, my girlfriend is a fanatic gamer practically! image But 41%? I dunno... it just seems to me that if 41% of gamers were actually women then that reality would be a lot more visible then it currently is.  Plus I don't think the way women are portrayed in a lot of games really attracts all that many female gamers... I mean do you think Lara Croft draws women gamers to play the Tomb Raider series? I don't really think so...

-------------------

--OracleP4

-------------------

--OracleP4

Like: DAoC, WOW, GW, DnL
    Dislike: SoR, EQ, EQ2, SWG, KO, AC2, CoH
    Don't Care About: Most Everything Else

• RegusRegus Member Posts: 489
    Yes 41% is to much i think or a lot of guys are actually girls acting like a guy

One day all will die, surely you but never I.

"One day all will die, surely you but never I." Wheel of Time

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

There is a big difference between watching something on TV and showing up to an event. Far more woman watch Star Trek on TV than go to conventions.

The same is true for E3. I think you'll find most that go to E3 are your game players that didn't have to work that day.

Although I'd agree that the way MMORPG's generally portrayed woman doesn't encourage them to play.(witch is sad, although I think you'll find the games that treat woman respect will start doing much fiscally than those appealing to horny teen-males) 

The poll was generalized toward video game playing in general.

Maybe 41% is high for a MMORPG but my grandmother, mother, mother in law, sisters, aunts and cousins all play video games. Not for 40 hours a week. They don't obsess over them, but they do play them.

If my grandmother (89) was asked if she played video games once a month, she would answer yes. (she like to play a number of card games on-line) If you asked do you play 10 hours a week, she would say no.

I think in this is where the confusion lies, the distinction of "plays" vs "plays constantly".

As I pointed out in a early post. The TV watching is down, people are doing other things, surfing and playing games are easy to see as a substitute for poor television programing.

-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-

• Mr.RitzMr.Ritz Member Posts: 30
    That is awesome. Easier to meet chicks when they play video games.

I am all, I am none

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I am not surprised by either number. I know lots of ladies around my age (early 30's, late 20's) playing EQ and now City of Heroes. (In fact, I was once in an EQ guild run by a woman who was my MOTHER'S age...)

I have no problem believing the 41% for female gamers. I would say that my aquaintances in games run about 50/50. I don't think you see quite so many girls in FPS games (although I do enjoy blowing someone's head off now and then, myself), but there are a lot of ladies playing MMORPGs for sure, and some of them are playing hardcore.

I can't speak for other women, but the E3 thing... well, frankly, I would love to go, if I could afford it and could afford to put my life on hold for a couple of days with the certainty that kids wouldn't destroy the whole house while I was gone. Booth babes don't do much for me, but I sure would like to see the games. But I know that my mother, who played Dune II obsessively at one point, would never bother with a con. She's just not a *fan* in that way, and I suspect that's true for a lot of women.

(EDIT: BTW, some of you guys who think you don't see a lot of girls playing --Insert Your Favorite Game Here--, there's a lot more female-to-male crossdressing going on than even *I* suspected, and I am one of the people who does it. ;)  )

~*~
    neschria
    Bludgeoner of Bunnies

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• ObiyerObiyer Member Posts: 511

I proudly hold up my C64, the best years of my childhood were spent pecking in code onto that thing. Sure It was "nerdy" but the highschool quarterback is now pumping gas. So you tell me where the time was better spent?

Cliche, but nowadays most of the guys on the football team has their closest EB on speed dial when EA releases another ESPN <insert year here>.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Actually everyone including myself have been mentioning women we met in mmoprg.A huge amount of women play games like the super popular sims.That game most likely has a huge majority of women and is one of the biggest selling games in the world now.

So the 41% are most likely more in the sims kind of game rather then in UT2004 or Lineage 2.

But yeah mmorpg does attract people more in the range of late 20s and early 30s.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by seabass20011

41% doesnt seem high at all.

My wife plays CoH with me and she is in Malkvanian's Supergroup (sorry I know I spelled your name wrong lol) plus, she never touched The Sims....so dont even stereotype that.

My wife has been heavily involved in Anarchy Online and EVE as a Customer Service Representive and an official forum moderator.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724

I've never played the Sims nor plan too.  Most of my gaming is in the form of mmorpgs though I have tried a few single player and fps games as well.

Of my closest girl friends, 4 of the 7 play games of one type or another and with my own mmorpg addiction the 41% doesnt really surprise me.  2 of those 4 that play games have played EQ at one point or another and the other two mostly play online card games.