Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard 10th in Top Sales for February 2007

Vanguard came in at 10 for sales in February.  Article does not give sales numbers but WoW had the top spot with 141,000 copies.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/news/story.php?sid=6167808&part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6167808

PC
Last Month Current Rank Title Publisher Average Price
1 1 World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade Vivendi $38
2 2 World of Warcraft Vivendi $25
** 3 The Sims 2 Seasons Electronic Arts $28
** 4 Supreme Commander THQ $49
4 5 The Sims 2 Electronic Arts $41
6 6 3333 XP Games JC Viva Media $10
** 7 The Sims: Life Stories Electronic Arts $37
5 8 The Sims 2 Pets Electronic Arts $30
8 9 Battlefield 2142 Electronic Arts $42
7 10 Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Sony Online Ent. $49
10 11 MS Age of Empires III Microsoft $49
17 12 Paws & Claws Pet Vet Valusoft (THQ) $16
9 13 The Sims 2 Nightlife Electronic Arts $31
** 14 City of Villains NCsoft $4
13 15 MahJongg Championship 200 Platinum JC Viva Media $10
15 16 Halo: Combat Evolved Microsoft $20
16 17 Sim City 4 Deluxe Electronic Arts $23
12 18 The Sims 2: University Electronic Arts $31
** 19 MS Zoo Tycoon: Complete Collection Microsoft $20
18 20 Warcraft III: Battlechest Vivendi $39

Comments

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

wow

thats pretty bad numbers.  When a game COMES out in Feb it should be in the top 3....not the top 10.  Compare it to movies...when you release your movie, you dont want it in the top ten.

Wow.....Sims 2 (released 2004) beat Vanguard. The games after Vanguard are all over a year old as well. Not good.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• whitedelightwhitedelight Member Posts: 1,544
    It came out in January, it was 7th for January.

• hazmatshazmats Member Posts: 1,081

Originally posted by whitedelight
    It came out in January, it was 7th for January.

yep, 7th in January.

PC
    Last Month Current Rank Title Publisher Average Price
    ** 1 World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade Vivendi $37
    2 2 World of Warcraft Vivendi $25
    ** 3 World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade Collector's Ed Vivendi $69
    3 4 The Sims 2 Electronic Arts $41
    1 5 The Sims 2 Pets Electronic Arts $30
    ** 6 3333 XP Games JC Viva Media $10
    ** 7 Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Sony Online Ent. $50
    8 8 Battlefield 2142 Electronic Arts $44
    18 9 The Sims 2 Nightlife Electronic Arts $31
    15 10 Age of Empires III Microsoft $49
    4 11 Medieval II: Total War Sega of America $49
    ** 12 The Sims 2: University Electronic Arts $31
    ** 13 MahJongg XP Championship 200 Platinum JC Viva Media $10
    5 14 The Sims 2 Glamour Life Stuff Electronic Arts $19
    ** 15 Halo: Combat Evolved Microsoft $20
    ** 16 Sim City 4 Deluxe Electronic Arts $24
    16 17 Paws & Claws Pet Vet Valusoft (THQ) $17
    ** 18 Warcraft III Battle Chest Vivendi $39
    12 19 The Sims 2 Open for Business Electronic Arts $31
    9 20 Deal or No Deal Global Star Software (Take-Two) $20

• wjrasmussenwjrasmussen Member Posts: 1,493
    Good for CoV 14th!
  • healz4uhealz4u Member Posts: 1,065
    Yes.

It is dropping.

Predictions for next rank?
  • whitedelightwhitedelight Member Posts: 1,544

• ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

Originally posted by healz4u
    Yes.
    It is dropping.

It will be unranked. As those fighting to destroy the game, it's devs, and anyone even tangentally associated with it finally get their way. The servers will all be unplugged, and the dev team, it's players, and so on, will all commit seppuku, if only to get the hate filled legions to shut the fuck up for five minutes.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Enigma

wow
    thats pretty bad numbers.  When a game COMES out in Feb it should be in the top 3....not the top 10.  Compare it to movies...when you release your movie, you dont want it in the top ten.
    Wow.....Sims 2 (released 2004) beat Vanguard. The games after Vanguard are all over a year old as well. Not good.

lol movies?? Don't see how you can compare a movie which needs to be in the top 3 at release with a mmorpg that can be played for years and is a ongoing evolving game. It not like people go and see the same movie day in day out now would they ? Its actualy pretty good considering how unplayeble some people think Vanguard is. Ouch must hurt to see that unplayeble game standing there on number 7 well currently at 10 but still for a unplayeble game not bad

oh btw "The Sims 2 Seasons" Release Date: Shipping February 27, 2007 in United States; March 2, 2007 in Europe

• Mars505Mars505 Member Posts: 623
    Lord of the rings is going to stomp this game into the lava pits of Mt. Doom ! That is just my opinion.

Right now LotrO has over 300k in beta  and I do believe the first day  it will sell out. Unlike vanguard which is still collecting dust from it's initial release Turbine just released info the IP blocking is lifted so now EU players can play on the U.S. server , which almost concretes it's success in the first year. 

Prediction

1.Vanguard gets dumped / bought out / canceled in 2008 by SOE

2. LotrO will be pushing close to 1 million subs by christmas 2007

3. WoW by Christmas 07 into 2008 and beyond  will finally get lower subs do to

a. Conan

b. LotrO

c. Spellborn

d. Warhammer

e.Star Trek ONLINE

by mid 2008 Vanguard will have been sucked up by the REVOLUTIONARY concepts of 3 gen titles.

Sigil = a day late and a dollar (literally rofl) short.

who me ?

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300
    Originally posted by Reklaw

Don't see how you can compare a movie which needs to be in the top 3 at release with a mmorpg that can be played for years and is a ongoing evolving game. It not like people go and see the same movie day in day out now would they ?
    I'm not sure, but I believe the comparison being made is in terms of money spent.

Movies are hideously expensive to make these days, and have to do well on their opening weekend in order to see any possible return on investment. If a studio spent $30+ million (which is the number Brad has indicated  as Vanguard's budget) to make a movie, plus the added marketing costs and advertisements they've made to get the film out there, they'd want as much money to come in as quickly as possible when the film opens, then they'd hope to make up whatever remains later on in DVD sales and rentals over time. But it's that initial box office weekend that makes all the difference.

Video games, even if they're MMO's and are intended to be played for years, are much the same in that most of them cost millions of dollars to make, and they need to sell really well out of the gate in order to become profitable. Game companies and development studios, and in particular, anyone who invests in them, want to see money coming in as fast as possible for their efforts. Ergo, the comparison being made.

However, the true test of Vanguard's longevity and possible return on that initial $30+ million investment is how well it does in six months or more. Just look at some of the games on that list-- the original Sims 2 came out two months before WoW did, and it's still in the top 5 for sales, and it's joined in the top 20 by four of its five expansion packs along with a stand-alone laptop version of the game (i.e., Life Stories). That's freaking impressive, and shows that the game has legs.

Age of Empires III and City of Villains are both from 2005, and both Halo: Combat Evolved and Zoo Tycoon: Complete Collection are from 2003. They're all still selling well, at least according to that list. Can Vanguard do the same, and keep up any of their launch momentum for months, or even years to come? Only time will tell.
  • Mars505Mars505 Member Posts: 623
    tick tock tick tock

ICE-BERG !!!!!!

The way I see it is that Vanguard is like a big fat turd stuck in the toilet, All the up coming games are the plunger , and they are just pushing that turd and pushing that turd until , ploop, it goes down the drain,
    finallying leaving the toilet fresh and clean for all mankind . Just my opinion.

who me ?

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

I don't care too much about VG's ranking.

What I want to know is, how the hell is Sims still a popular selling game?  What makes that game so special?

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• GerecGerec Member CommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by Coldmeat

Yes.

It is dropping.

It will be unranked. As those fighting to destroy the game, it's devs, and anyone even tangentally associated with it finally get their way. The servers will all be unplugged, and the dev team, it's players, and so on, will all commit seppuku, if only to get the hate filled legions to shut the fuck up for five minutes.

I wouldn't like, get banned if I sig'd you would I?
  • ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

Originally posted by Gerec

Yes.It is dropping.Predictions for next rank?

I wouldn't like, get banned if I sig'd you would I?

Probably not banned. Might have to edit that last line, though. ::::40::

• ThonyThony Member Posts: 215

Originally posted by Mars505

Lord of the rings is going to stomp this game into the lava pits of Mt. Doom ! That is just my opinion.

Right now LotrO has over 300k in beta  and I do believe the first day  it will sell out. Unlike vanguard which is still collecting dust from it's initial release Turbine just released info the IP blocking is lifted so now EU players can play on the U.S. server , which almost concretes it's success in the first year. 

Prediction

1.Vanguard gets dumped / bought out / canceled in 2008 by SOE/ will not be happening

2. LotrO will be pushing close to 1 million subs by christmas 2007/ will not suprise me

3. WoW by Christmas 07 into 2008 and beyond  will finally get lower subs do to/ actualy think that will be much sooner

a. Conan/ looks really promising, but console crossing hmm and the concept of combat which is already tried in other games with very bad results, but they do have some very intresting features.

b. LotrO/ Already ordered and wil be a fun game, so far it doesn't feel like a mmorpg, still gonna enjoy it for the ride it delivers

c. Spellborn/ not really looked into it

d. Warhammer/ to young of a game for me, meaning don't see it as a mature game though they try to promote it like that,     

Star Trek ONLINE, oh yes looking forward to this titel hope it delivers. Bit of a trekky but not in the nerdy kind of way, just enjoy the series.

But don't forget Stargate Worlds also one of me favo sci-fi series which hopefully will turn into a great mmo.

by mid 2008 Vanguard will have been sucked up by the REVOLUTIONARY concepts of 3 gen titles. Don't think they will for me as they all are very different type of games all together, Star Trek might get allot of attention by the time its ready but lol that is gonna take some time, so far no serious competion for Vanguard in the way i see the upcomming new titels. Especialy with LotrO we already have seen most of he good stuff and with Vanguard its only just begon. just like you just my own opinion. but could be fun to see if this topic still here by the time all these games are released who of use scored most points on being accurate at our predictions

Sigil = a day late and a dollar (literally rofl) short. no comment.

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300
    Originally posted by Cerion

I don't care too much about VG's ranking.
    What I want to know is, how the hell is Sims still a popular selling game?  What makes that game so special?
    Well, let's look at what The Sims 2 and its expansions offer:

--Open-ended gameplay, since you're not restricted by any pre-determined storylines, but rather ones you come up with yourself.

--Diverse character creation, complete with sliders for everything from the slant of your eyes and ears, to the fullness of your lips, shape of your nose, etc. There are also a multitude of hairstyles, accessories and clothing to choose from so that each character made can be unique. You're also able to determine your Sim's basic personality, and their likes and dislikes.

--Crafting and trade skills (at least with the expansions), since you can do things like build robots, arrange plants, plant and maintain your own gardens, fish, make toys, etc. There are also player-run businesses available, since all you do is buy the lot and go from there, and all of the things that you make are able to be sold to others for profit. You can even hire employees to work for you, which is a whole other challenge in itself.

--Various professions to choose from, each complete with their own skillsets that have to be improved for advancement, and which give rewards over time

--Player transportation, since there are cars in the game, freeing your Sim from having to live and die by the daily carpool or by the neighborhood taxi service

--Diplomacy and faction, since you have to maneuver through relationships with other people in order to get  job promotions, and achieve other goals (i.e., the Needs and Wants of a Sim)

--Player housing, which is fully customizable, from the look and layout of the house, to the landscaping and accessories that you can put in it. Players are even able to create their own custom items, giving them even more freedom than what the game itself offers.

--Vampires, zombies, plant Sims, and werewolves, and the ability to turn your character into any of them if you meet certain conditions

it really is a sandbox game that allows people to tell any story they want to, and to have their characters live the life they want for themselves. It's also addicting as hell, since I can sit down to start playing and before I know it several hours have passed. That's why it's popular.
  • EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384
    Originally posted by Lidane

Originally posted by Reklaw

Don't see how you can compare a movie which needs to be in the top 3 at release with a mmorpg that can be played for years and is a ongoing evolving game. It not like people go and see the same movie day in day out now would they ?
    I'm not sure, but I believe the comparison being made is in terms of money spent.

Movies are hideously expensive to make these days, and have to do well on their opening weekend in order to see any possible return on investment. If a studio spent $30+ million (which is the number Brad has indicated  as Vanguard's budget) to make a movie, plus the added marketing costs and advertisements they've made to get the film out there, they'd want as much money to come in as quickly as possible when the film opens, then they'd hope to make up whatever remains later on in DVD sales and rentals over time. But it's that initial box office weekend that makes all the difference.

Video games, even if they're MMO's and are intended to be played for years, are much the same in that most of them cost millions of dollars to make, and they need to sell really well out of the gate in order to become profitable. Game companies and development studios, and in particular, anyone who invests in them, want to see money coming in as fast as possible for their efforts. Ergo, the comparison being made.

However, the true test of Vanguard's longevity and possible return on that initial $30+ million investment is how well it does in six months or more. Just look at some of the games on that list-- the original Sims 2 came out two months before WoW did, and it's still in the top 5 for sales, and it's joined in the top 20 by four of its five expansion packs along with a stand-alone laptop version of the game (i.e., Life Stories). That's freaking impressive, and shows that the game has legs.

Age of Empires III and City of Villains are both from 2005, and both Halo: Combat Evolved and Zoo Tycoon: Complete Collection are from 2003. They're all still selling well, at least according to that list. Can Vanguard do the same, and keep up any of their launch momentum for months, or even years to come? Only time will tell.

exactly

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• tetsultetsul Member Posts: 1,020

Yes.

It is dropping.

You forgot "burn down the building that houses the server and pour salt on the remains so nothing will ever grow there again".

Only thing the game collapsing would do is move everyone to the next one. Some people would switch sides and this whole idiotic production would start up again in a different game. Thus, mmorpg's circle of obsessive retardation would continue as it always had.

• ZarthaineZarthaine Member Posts: 62
    My honest prediction is that eventually the dust will settle and things will smooth out at which time a percentage of the All Access users that have read the player reviews and stayed away from the game will start to flow into the system.

Honestly, I think that the company, being their a part of the SoE system will need to act more like the other games in respect to things like forums and SoE could also learn from Sigil on the No RMT tolerance and perhaps at one point find a nice niche.

The problem with Vanguard is the same problem with Veggi~Burgers.  When your selling something that tries to compare to another product that has been long established you open yourself up for flaming because it's not the same to those who come to know and enjoy the product it's based on.

Most of their problems is a result of their own PR.  They tauted the game as being for the more serious user, then started changing it more towards a full mix of players.  Not that the game has really changed all that much, just the spin on it's target players.  It reminds me a little of the quests in the game.  In the past, I would shy away from any yellow quest at a low level and most small group quests when soloing because "I assumed" they would be too difficult.   Then I tried a few with friends and realized some of them were quite easy to solo so I started trying more of them and enjoy them.

I guess what I'm saying is they "sold" the concept to players that can remember a "glorious era" when EQ was supreme. All while forgetting that you can't relive the past because even EQ  is not the EQ that it was in Velious.  Those who remember those days tend to forget the problems and highlight the overall experience as a positive one.  It should be obvious that if EQ barely has the numbers your after, then you need to target a player base that will.
  • TniceTnice Member Posts: 563
    Originally posted by tetsul

Yes.

It is dropping.

You forgot "burn down the building that houses the server and pour salt on the remains so nothing will ever grow there again".

Only thing the game collapsing would do is move everyone to the next one. Some people would switch sides and this whole idiotic production would start up again in a different game. Thus, mmorpg's circle of obsessive retardation would continue as it always had.

lol.  Good one.  Which one do we move to next?  Huxley, Tabula Rasa, WAR?
  • FargolFargol Member UncommonPosts: 303

Yes.

It is dropping.

If this game dies it will have had nothing to do with the people on this forum who bash it (assuming that's what you meant in your second sentence).

A game lives and dies on its own merits.

• Originally posted by Coldmeat

Yes.

It is dropping.

You forgot the villagers with burning torches.
  • healz4uhealz4u Member Posts: 1,065
    I essentially agree with the poster insofar that games "live or die on their merits."

However, if Vanguard had not engaged in deceptive practices, unethical marketing that even involved banning those critical of Vanguard on web pages in addition to flawed gameplay and horrible performance, I believe the criticism on forums  would not be as extensive.

If you oversell something, you must be able to foresee the consequences of that.  The extent of those consequences can be vast, and the likelihood of them happening is great.  After overselling something, if you try engage in viral marketing in addition to censorship to attempt to maintain a falsehood, people are going to react (if not retaliate). 

I am grateful that the gaming community on this web page and its honest forums are a reflection of truth, thoughtfulness, and a resistance to the behavior by SIGIL to silience, deceive, and even manipulate. 
  • Originally posted by Tnice

Originally posted by tetsul

Yes.

It is dropping.

lol.  Good one.  Which one do we move to next?  Huxley, Tabula Rasa, WAR? Eff that noise Garriot is not anywhere close to as filled with BS as Brad.  TR is nicely under the radar here, leave it alone so I can play it peace!   Besides Neocron done right is better than EQ done right.  Afterall shining the EQ-turd is still shining a turd.

Besides the best target is WAR since it has enough fanboys to sustain the drama.  But they are hardened already by all the WoW-clone stuff.  Plus Mythic is putting out a lot of alpha info.  So the mob will have a harder time.  The fanboys are already tired of idiots so they will just start talking about which WHFB armies they like to use and derail the troll threads.

The forum downfall of vanguard was that its Vanbois are all drama queens anyway.  They are the perfect targets for trolls.
  • RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289

I essentially agree with the poster insofar that games "live or die on their merits."

However, if Vanguard had not engaged in deceptive practices, unethical marketing that even involved banning those critical of Vanguard on web pages in addition to flawed gameplay and horrible performance, I believe the criticism on forums  would not be as extensive.

If you oversell something, you must be able to foresee the consequences of that.  The extent of those consequences can be vast, and the likelihood of them happening is great.  After overselling something, if you try engage in viral marketing in addition to censorship to attempt to maintain a falsehood, people are going to react (if not retaliate). 

I am grateful that the gaming community on this web page and its honest forums are a reflection of truth, thoughtfulness, and a resistance to the behavior by SIGIL to silience, deceive, and even manipulate. 
    These forums are a reflection of truth? Hahah, now that is funny as hell. And thoughtfulness? Everyone on these forums including myself posts thier opinions. They are not factual or thoughtful in any form. And even when a game is good, there are always people that will think lower of it. It's human nature. Make a crap hole for one person and the next person will tell you it stinks. Go figure..