Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PS3 Breaks UK Sales Record!!

http://www.warcry.com/forums/read/118.40186

Over the first two days of sales this is how they stacked up

Wii - 105,000

360- 71,000

PS3- 165,000

Comments

• Arkane11Arkane11 Member Posts: 55
    Thats really good for the PS3 considering that none of the good games are out yet.
  • methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701
    Here are the software charts... for Europe for last week...

I'll bold the Sony Exclusives

LW TW Title Developer Label Publisher

- 1 RESISTANCE: FALL OF MAN INSOMNIAC SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.

- 2 MOTORSTORM EVOLUTION STUDIOS SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.

- 7 FORMULA 1: CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION STUDIO LIVERPOOL SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.

- 11 RIDGE RACER 7 NAMCO NAMCO BANDAI GAMES SONY COMPUTER ENT.

- 16 GENJI: DAYS OF THE BLADE GAME REPUBLIC SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.

What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087
    Originally posted by methane47

Here are the software charts... for Europe for last week...

I'll bold the Sony Exclusives

LW TW Title Developer Label Publisher

- 1 RESISTANCE: FALL OF MAN INSOMNIAC SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.

- 2 MOTORSTORM EVOLUTION STUDIOS SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.

- 7 FORMULA 1: CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION STUDIO LIVERPOOL SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.

- 11 RIDGE RACER 7 NAMCO NAMCO BANDAI GAMES SONY COMPUTER ENT.

- 16 GENJI: DAYS OF THE BLADE GAME REPUBLIC SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.

WoW thats a lot of exclusive games there i cant get anywhere else. [Sarcasm]

I did highlight the ones im into tho. [ the yellow one]

• Keebs1984Keebs1984 Member Posts: 1,356

Wow, a Sony promoting thread that Meth didn't start.

Should we be scared?

Eternally mine,
    Keebs

The MMO gaming blog I write for.

• dhartzdhartz Member Posts: 482
    Originally posted by Keebs1984

Should we be scared?
    Indeed my friend.

• xpyrofuryxxpyrofuryx Member CommonPosts: 1,587
    Originally posted by Keebs1984

Should we be scared?
    Oh, god, I'm running for cover. Who's with me?

• HocheteHochete Member CommonPosts: 1,210
    We have one at work... bit pap tbh. Graphics aren't any more impressive than xbox360's, and the loading times are phenominally poor. certainly not worth £200,000 or whatever it's going for in the UK.
  • DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951
    WOW is this really really TRUE? UK people are ... nuts!!! or ... very rich!

PS3 has nothing more enjoyable than what 360 or Wii has... and the price... you could almost buy both 360 and Wii... I'm surprised PS3 even sold over 10K consoles overall ...

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812
    Originally posted by whitedelight

http://www.warcry.com/forums/read/118.40186
    Over the first two days of sales this is how they stacked up
    Wii - 105,000

360- 71,000

PS3- 165,000

Maybe the UK just really wants to put Sony under after the comments they made.  The more PS3's people buy the more money they lose.  But really, I am not too surprized, it has to do decently somewhere.  Just another 3 million+ more units to go before passing up Wii to get into second place.

How many more months/years do you think  that take for the PS3 to either take second or first in the "Console Wars", realistically?  I mean they are not flying off the shelves everywhere, but they are opening in their "PAL" areas.  Will it ever get into either of those positions?

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    I'm just surprised People buy the PS3 NOW, I can't believe people are actually waiting hours in line for this. I mean, I can't name one game on the PS3 out right now that is a must have for me, Sony gave the finger to Europe and now comes with a console with a shitty launch line up, and less powerfull hardware then the US release,and an even higher price tag, and people will still wait in line at night to get one. have some damn self respect as a customer, geez.
  • KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831
    "Those numbers are influenced by the shortages both Nintendo and Microsoft suffered."

Meh, not that impressive on Sony's part.  It's only the first 2 days comparison.  They just prepared better for this release than they did in NA.

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

Originally posted by Korusus

"Those numbers are influenced by the shortages both Nintendo and Microsoft suffered."

Thats true.

You see when you launch a console worldwide all at once, your supplies tend to be stretched thin. Had Nintendo and Microsoft each told Europe to hold still for a few extra months like Sony did we may very well have seen drastically different numbers.

Is it a UK record? Yes.

Is it based on fair data? No.

Eternally mine,
    Keebs

Originally posted by Gameloading

I'm just surprised People buy the PS3 NOW, I can't believe people are actually waiting hours in line for this. I mean, I can't name one game on the PS3 out right now that is a must have for me, Sony gave the finger to Europe and now comes with a console with a shitty launch line up, and less powerfull hardware then the US release,and an even higher price tag, and people will still wait in line at night to get one. have some damn self respect as a customer, geez.
    By less powerfull hardware in europe You mean being able to Upscale 75% of the ps2 library and 98% of the PSone library to make games look better than they ever did before?

I enjoy seeing you guys squirm at good PS3 news..

and guess what... Englands standard of living is higher than america.. HENCE the higher price... Also VAT is included which is how much percent..

the Wii is $100 more expesive in the UK

the Xbox360 is $150 more expensive in the UK

the PS3 is $200 more expesive in the UK..

Plus they have to pay how much VAT? 17%?? dont quote me on that ... which is included in the price...

Deal with it.....

Take this how you will... Minimum wage in the US is $5.25

Minimum wage in the UK is £5.50  thats $10

If you take into consideration standards of living UK residents really aren't paying that much more... IF you take into consideration standards of living.. The companies also have to pay higher fees in running a company over there... Its ALL relative...

Why dont I hear anyone complaining that a Whopper in the UK is twice the equivalent price as it is in America? Because in that Community it is acceptable..

What's your Wu Name?
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

By less powerfull hardware in europe You mean being able to Upscale 75% of the ps2 library and 98% of the PSone library to make games look better than they ever did before?

and guess what... Englands standard of living is higher than america.. HENCE the higher price... Also VAT is included which is how much percent..

Plus they have to pay how much VAT? 17%?? dont quote me on that ... which is included in the price...

Deal with it.....

If you take into consideration standards of living UK residents really aren't paying that much more... IF you take into consideration standards of living.. The companies also have to pay higher fees in running a company over there... Its ALL relative...

Why dont I hear anyone complaining that a Whopper in the UK is twice the equivalent price as it is in America? Because in that Community it is acceptable..

Not really its more a case of we dont complain as much as you lot do. And we are now used to being the highest taxed people in Europe.

Because this is a gaming forum, not a fast food enthusiast website.

In all fairness though, Meth is right. Everything is more expensive across the pond, from whoppers to PS3s.

Eternally mine,
    Keebs

More News... This time from BBC

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6499841.stm

PlayStation breaks sales records

PS3
    PlayStation 3 went on sale in the UK last week

The PlayStation 3 console has broken UK sales records with more than 165,000 machines sold in the first two days of release, say analysts Chart Track.

More than a million consoles were shipped across Europe on launch day last week with 600,000 sold.

Sony is hoping to retake its title as the console market leader, as Microsoft and Nintendo head the next-gen race.

Meanwhile, games firm Namco Bandai has said it is to use the PS3's Cell chip in arcade machines.

Microsoft sold 71,000 Xbox 360 consoles during its UK launch weekend, while Nintendo sold 105,000 Wii machines.

But both companies offered limited stock to retailers, which led to shortages.

Ray Maguire, managing director of Sony Computer Entertainment UK said the figures were a vote of confidence in the machine.

"Having broken the record for launch sales, we are now replenishing retail stock across the country," he said,

The first arcade title to use the PS3 microprocessor will be fighting game Tekken 6, Namco said.

While PlayStation technology has been used in arcade machines in the past it is believed to be the first time that the Cell will be used for games not running on Sony's console.

Namco Bandai has sold its PlayStation 2 arcade technology to other firms, but it is still undecided about whether to sell its PS3 Cell-based technology, a spokeswoman for the firm said.

What's your Wu Name?
    <i>ME<i>

• tetsultetsul Member Posts: 1,020

Beyond idle curiousity nobody gives a flying fuck about "good news on sales figures of the PS3" besides you and pyro, let alone "squirm" about it.

I would give you my own laughing emote, but it's past that point into pity for you two. What emote would someone use for a cat that got hit by a car and it's neck snapped, but the hind legs keep jumping around trying to run away?

Originally posted by tetsul
    Beyond idle curiousity nobody gives a flying fuck about "good news on sales figures of the PS3" besides you and pyro, let alone "squirm" about it.
    I would give you my own laughing emote, but it's past that point into pity for you two. What emote would someone use for a cat that got hit by a car and it's neck snapped, but the hind legs keep jumping around trying to run away?
    Clearly you're taking this news much better than others..

What's your Wu Name?
    <i>ME<i>

Actually I'm talking about the huge amount of games that work horrible on PS3.

http://faq.eu.playstation.com/bc/bcGames.htm

http://www.ghacks.net/2007/03/20/european-playstation-3-compatibility-list/

Final Fantasy anyone? Games that work fine on the US version of the PS3.

whatever floats your boat.

thats a REALLY nice excuse.

Deal with it.....

And as we can see, the PS3 has the highest extra price tag added to it. its not just the UK, its all over europe that its happening. A higher price tag is one thing, but launching MONTHS later in Europe while not delivering the same hardware as the US and Japanese counterparts, you bet I deal with it, I switched to Xbox after being a loyal Sony fan right from the start when they introduced the playstation.

Thats a REALLY nice excuse, seriously.

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

thats a REALLY nice excuse.

Yup if it's one thing SONY does well it's coming up with aaaaaall theese excuses... can't they face it, they screw up >_<

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

Lol i love how your source of proof to show how bad the BC is... is from BEFORE it could be tested... Here are some EU sites that did some testing..

www.back-catalog.net/features/european-ps3-enchilada/

palgn.com.au/article.php

From one of the sites above...

Final Fantasy VIII
    2 dots
    Good.

The only issue we had was that the battle swirl effect is wrong.

Final Fantasy IX
    2 dots
    Perfect!

Even the battle swirl works, battle loading times and framerate are correct and the music always holds steady. In our opinion that makes it even better than on a slim PS2.

Final Fantasy X
    1 dot
    Okay.

Letterboxed. Some character features, such as a necklace or a strand of hair are sometimes garbled or miscolored, and flicker between that broken state and the proper state. FMV cut-scenes come out interlaced.

Final Fantasy X-2
    1 dot
    Fair.

Letterboxed. The main menu music is distorted. FMV audio seems to run ahead of video, and regularly goes into one-second loops to reestablish sync. Very annoying. No issues whatsoever with the game proper though.

So unless you are really going To Kill Sony for having an off colored strand of hair ....

Notice 1 square according to Sony is the worst level of BC support... And here we see that 1 sqare means a bad FMV everynow and again..

And as we can see, the PS3 has the highest extra price tag added to it. its not just the UK, its all over europe that its happening. A higher price tag is one thing, but launching MONTHS later in Europe while not delivering the same hardware as the US and Japanese counterparts, you bet I deal with it, I switched to Xbox after being a loyal Sony fan right from the start when they introduced the playstation.

Yeah and the PS3 has the highest price tag here as well..    andd......soooo you just rather them NOT launch at all in europe? Because of your blind hate? While delivering a product that actually produces a MUCH better image for 75% of the library? 1800 games look BETTER on the EU PS3 then the JP and US PS3 and you are complaining because You want them to look WORSE??!?! ok are you complaining because Super Sudoku 3 isn't playable?

LOL its not an excuse... Standard of Living is higher..... which in tun means that everything you pay for is more expensive.. For example While a regular Sony employee may earn US$ 30k - 40k a year in the US.... a regular employee will earn US$ 60 - 80k in the UK..... Thats just the way of life... more expenses for companies mean higher rates and fees for their services... I really dont understand why you are in such denial over this.....

IN THE UK Companies have to pay MORE to support the company then they do in America... Hence the HIgher absolute price for the .. Hence the higher price for a whopper... Hence the higher price for a ciggarette... Hence the higher price for a Xbox360...

To OFFSET this Consumers in the UK also make MORE comparitively then people in America... Its THAT simple

What's your Wu Name?
    <i>ME<i>

Lol i love how your source of proof to show how bad the BC is... is from BEFORE it could be tested... Here are some EU sites that did some testing..

www.back-catalog.net/features/european-ps3-enchilada/

palgn.com.au/article.php

From one of the sites above...

Final Fantasy VIII
    2 dots
    Good.

Final Fantasy IX
    2 dots
    Perfect!

Even the battle swirl works, battle loading times and framerate are correct and the music always holds steady. In our opinion that makes it even better than on a slim PS2.

Final Fantasy X
    1 dot
    Okay.

Letterboxed. Some character features, such as a necklace or a strand of hair are sometimes garbled or miscolored, and flicker between that broken state and the proper state. FMV cut-scenes come out interlaced.

Final Fantasy X-2
    1 dot
    Fair.

Letterboxed. The main menu music is distorted. FMV audio seems to run ahead of video, and regularly goes into one-second loops to reestablish sync. Very annoying. No issues whatsoever with the game proper though.

So unless you are really going To Kill Sony for having an off colored strand of hair ....

Notice 1 square according to Sony is the worst level of BC support... And here we see that 1 sqare means a bad FMV everynow and again

Sorry, forgive me, but were you actually trying to disprove my point by quoting a source that points that Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X - 2 do not work good at all? The link I brough is OFFICIAL INFORMATION FROM SONY. so there you have it..

Yeah and the PS3 has the highest price tag here as well..    andd......soooo you just rather them NOT launch at all in europe? Because of your blind hate? While delivering a product that actually produces a MUCH better image for 75% of the library? 1800 games look BETTER on the EU PS3 then the JP and US PS3 and you are complaining because You want them to look WORSE??!?! ok are you complaining because Super Sudoku 3 isn't playable?

Lets take a look

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/20/breaking-down-the-euro-ps3s-backward-compatiblity/

Of all the games of Ps1 and Ps2.

I have also yet to see strong evidence from Sony that the Playstation 2 games actually do look worse on a US/JP PS3 then on an Euro PS3.

Also I'm not talking about Soduku. I'm talking about Final Fantasy 7, Resident Evil 2, Metal gear Solid 2, Ratchet and Clank series. all games which are missing.

for the price tag I meant that the PS3 charges even more extra costs then the other consoles in the UK. Also stop labeling me as a Sony hater. I do not hate a company because of a game console.  Not everybody takes this console wars as serious as you do, we don't hate other companies, we don't put  anti console pictures  in our signatures, and we don't create 5 hundred console threads.

LOL its not an excuse... Standard of Living is higher..... which in tun means that everything you pay for is more expensive.. For example While a regular Sony employee may earn US$ 30k - 40k a year in the US.... a regular employee will earn US$ 60 - 80k in the UK..... Thats just the way of life... more expenses for companies mean higher rates and fees for their services... I really dont understand why you are in such denial over this.....

IN THE UK Companies have to pay MORE to support the company then they do in America... Hence the HIgher absolute price for the .. Hence the higher price for a whopper... Hence the higher price for a ciggarette... Hence the higher price for a Xbox360...

To OFFSET this Consumers in the UK also make MORE comparitively then people in America... Its THAT simple

You are so incredbly off that I'm not even going to bother to fix it. You just keep believing that, whatever makes you happy (and whatever makes sony pays your bills)

Final Fantasy VIII
    2 dots
    Good.

Final Fantasy IX
    2 dots
    Perfect!

Final Fantasy X
    1 dot
    Okay.

Final Fantasy X-2
    1 dot
    Fair.

Sorry, forgive me, but were you actually trying to disprove my point by quoting a source that points that Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X - 2 do not work good at all? The link I brough is OFFICIAL INFORMATION FROM SONY. so there you have it..

The website takes Sony's Judgement call (indicated by the Square in the 2nd column and tests that game.. If you checked you would see that even some games that aren't Supposed to work ... Do work... and The ones that have only ONE square (meaning by sony that this is the worst supported BC... the issues there really aren't that big a deal...

Also note that the EU PS3s all force games into progressive mode... and if you have an HD-tv you would realize why this is better...

Lets take a look

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/20/breaking-down-the-euro-ps3s-backward-compatiblity/

The Picture below is the Wrong Pic first of all... This is for Playstation ONE games NOT combined... And I will explain below why this cannot be taken as truth...

I have also yet to see strong evidence from Sony that the Playstation 2 games actually do look worse on a US/JP PS3 then on an Euro PS3.

Also I'm not talking about Soduku. I'm talking about Final Fantasy 7, Resident Evil 2, Metal gear Solid 2, Ratchet and Clank series. all games which are missing.

for the price tag I meant that the PS3 charges even more extra costs then the other consoles in the UK. Also stop labeling me as a Sony hater. I do not hate a company because of a game console.  Not everybody takes this console wars as serious as you do, we don't hate other companies, we don't put  anti console pictures  in our signatures, and we don't create 5 hundred console threads.

You quoted the wrong Pic by the way... AND its been shown by many people and many sites that there are games that are NOT on the list that actually work... The graph that you show is only for The total supposed PS1 games... There is a problem there of course... Its the source... First of all this data is in no way official... 2nd of all Where THEY (joystiq) got their information from was this site.. www.sonyindex.com/Pages/PSone_PAL_Name.htm for the amount of PS1 games in existance... Now... I want you to go to that website and note a couple things... Firstly... How official do you think that is? Secondly ... Note all the empty space... and ALSO note... There are DEMO Discs listed... I'm sorry but that being said... That information is really shakey..

The listings were 75% PS2 compatibility for the PS3... and I really can't understand how you can complain... especially since most of the games you want to play are compatible...

You are so incredbly off that I'm not even going to bother to fix it. You just keep believing that, whatever makes you happy (and whatever makes sony pays your bills)

Really? I'm totally off? So please Inform me as to why whoppers are more expensive in England than in america...... I guess thats a Sony Ploy as well... to screw the world over with their monopolistic control of Burger King as well as the Rest of the European economy..

What's your Wu Name?
    <i>ME<i>

Final Fantasy VIII
    2 dots
    Good.

Final Fantasy IX
    2 dots
    Perfect!

Final Fantasy X
    1 dot
    Okay.

Final Fantasy X-2
    1 dot
    Fair.

The website takes Sony's Judgement call (indicated by the Square in the 2nd column and tests that game.. If you checked you would see that even some games that aren't Supposed to work ... Do work... and The ones that have only ONE square (meaning by sony that this is the worst supported BC... the issues there really aren't that big a deal...

Also note that the EU PS3s all force games into progressive mode... and if you have an HD-tv you would realize why this is better...

Lets take a look

The Picture below is the Wrong Pic first of all... This is for Playstation ONE games NOT combined... And I will explain below why this cannot be taken as truth...

Your right, let me fix that.

Now THATS a whole lot better, only 35% of all Ps1 and Ps2 games work without issues on the Ps3. good job Sony!

You quoted the wrong Pic by the way... AND its been shown by many people and many sites that there are games that are NOT on the list that actually work... The graph that you show is only for The total supposed PS1 games... There is a problem there of course... Its the source... First of all this data is in no way official...

2nd of all Where THEY (joystiq) got their information from was this site.. www.sonyindex.com/Pages/PSone_PAL_Name.htm for the amount of PS1 games in existance... Now... I want you to go to that website and note a couple things... Firstly... How official do you think that is? Secondly ... Note all the empty space... and ALSO note... There are DEMO Discs listed... I'm sorry but that being said... That information is really

shakey..

Actually, they got it from this site:

http://faq.eu.playstation.com/bc/

They merely got the codes and names from the games from that website.

The listings were 75% PS2 compatibility for the PS3... and I really can't understand how you can complain... especially since most of the games you want to play are compatible...

Excuse me, I should be happy because 1 on the 4 ps2 games don't work, when that problem does not occur on US/JP consoles, even though I'm paying the exact same price and had to wait longer for the console?

Really? I'm totally off? So please Inform me as to why whoppers are more expensive in England than in america...... I guess thats a Sony Ploy as well... to screw the world over with their monopolistic control of Burger King as well as the Rest of the European economy..

Yes sir, your totally off. as I said, I'm not even going to bother to inform you why, because I'm not going to spend the night looking through google, looking for "evidence".

2nd of all Where THEY (joystiq) got their information from was this site.. www.sonyindex.com/Pages/PSone_PAL_Name.htm for the amount of PS1 games in existance... Now... I want you to go to that website and note a couple things... Firstly... How official do you think that is? Secondly ... Note all the empty space... and ALSO note... There are DEMO Discs listed... I'm sorry but that being said... That information is really

shakey..

Actually, they got it from this site:

http://faq.eu.playstation.com/bc/

They merely got the codes and names from the games from that website.

You missed the point... The percentages are not right... Why? because the totals used included alot of non-existant data.... We dont know WHAT percent of PSone games work... But since PSone games are totaly emulated by Software on Current PS2's i have a very hardtime believing that it wouldn't work on the PS3...

So pretty much if that website listed 3000 psone games... but 1500 of those are bad data.. then Joystiq's charts will be skewed incorrectly... AND its not an official count... And I dont see how you can take it as such...

Yes sir, your totally off. as I said, I'm not even going to bother to inform you why, because I'm not going to spend the night looking through google, looking for "evidence".

So I'm guessing you have no idea what you are talking about... And I emplore you to search for some evidence that apparently suggests to you that Things should be CHEAPER in areas where the Standard of living is HIGHER..

What's your Wu Name?
    <i>ME<i>