Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

swg haters

2»

Comments

• wystanwystan Member Posts: 68
    swg will start to go down hill after publish 9 when your able to be a jedi/cm/rifleman etc.... image

• I played SWG for quite a while, and yes, it started toget boring and stupid after having to grind on the professions constantly... and when you're at the top, it's boring anyway. This game is indeed the worst excuse for a "pay and play" MMO I have seen... yuck, just thinking about it makes me wish I still had that 120 I wasted on this thing.

Games worth looking at:
    Morrowind and all the expansions
    Anarchy Online
    Wish
    Everquest and any of its decandants
    Daggerfall (Good 'ol time-wasting 2D)
    Neverwinter Nights and the expansions
    There are more but i've seem to run out of space :P

• NeptuneNeptune Member Posts: 3

I'll tell everyone that SWG sucks because I wasted over $100 on that game and I'd hate it if someone didn't tell me that. 

Go play imageCity of Heroesimage

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

Originally posted by wystan
    swg will start to go down hill after publish 9 when your able to be a jedi/cm/rifleman etc.... image

You won't be able to be a Jedi/CM/Rifleman.  You'll be able to be a Jedi or a CM/Rifleman that is force sensitive.  You won't be able to go up the Jedi tree, you'll just get a few bonuses....or so they say.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

Originally posted by Crowen

Also don't forget microsoft cancelled Mythica after having $20 million in it because the MMoRPG industry is drying up for new influx compaired to people leaving. Don't forget Rubis of Eventide closed its doors after what they said was a money making launch. And now Earth and Beyond or was it Eve that are closing there doors. Can't remember which as I don't play either. Some good games going out the door and bigger and better comming in this year.

No offense but to say that the MMO industry is drying up is ridiculous.  If more people were leaving the genre than were entering it more games would be cancelled/shut down than currently are.

Please give us some numbers that show more people are cancelling MMO accounts than are creating them. 

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• CrowenCrowen Member Posts: 128

Originally posted by TookyG

No offense but to say that the MMO industry is drying up is ridiculous.  If more people were leaving the genre than were entering it more games would be cancelled/shut down than currently are.

Please give us some numbers that show more people are cancelling MMO accounts than are creating them. 

Is it really ridiculous? Alot more are being cancelled and shutting down all the time. Funcom has now shutdown production of there new MMoRPG called Midgard. Earth and Beyond is closing and Rubies of Eventide has already shut down. Sure some are still going to try and milk what they can but over the next year alot will be changing. MMoRPGs will not totally dry up and I never said they would but to say there in a growth would be incorrect.

Link to Funcoms cancel of migard:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2002/09/12/news_2880097.html

Also stated is that Funcom is in the middle of cutbacks..

Well you and I don't have access to exact number but microsoft has paid alot of money for there studies and in there news report based on those studies the results were that the MMoRPG industry was saturated and was into a down turn. Here is a link:

http://www.mythica.com/Default.htm?c00=0

There was also a report done after 2003 E3 with the meeting of several MMoRPG developers stating the same thing. Is there room for a better MMoRPG sure there is but there going to get there player base from existing MMoRPG's forcing more to close there doors. Its already starting to happen even SoE has now pulled all support from EQ as there player base slowly changes. They have even pulled all main programers from SWG and put them to EQ2. With WoW / GW / UO:X / DE / L2 / CoH / EQ2 all out this year existing MMoRPG's will have to find a way to keep the doors open.

Funcom is now giving away AO plus all expantions just to get there numbers up and make money from there subsciptions. Risk your Life now gone open beta has just released news that at this time there will be no english client. Why? Maybe there seeing that going over seas is the only market left thats not over run with these same games.

The signs are all there not to mention some have already closed.

• Originally posted by Crowen

Is it really ridiculous? Alot more are being cancelled and shutting down all the time. Funcom has now shutdown production of there new MMoRPG called Midgard. Earth and Beyond is closing and Rubies of Eventide has already shut down. Sure some are still going to try and milk what they can but over the next year alot will be changing. MMoRPGs will not totally dry up and I never said they would but to say there in a growth would be incorrect.

The majority of MMORPGs gettting shut down are v a p o r w a r e. They never got released in the first place. EnB got shut down because the game DEVs never listened to players suggestions on how to make it a better game. EnB was compeating vs EvE, Freelancer, and Jumpgate. They are still doing extreemly well.

Next, not all MMORPGs directly compeat vs each other. There is the oversaturated D&D-themed aka Tolkien-themed MMORPG market. There is the still growing Sci-Fi themed market. Space-Only sims market (EnB, EvE, Jumpgate, etc...). And even the "unique" market like City of Heros aka CoH.

Next, two MMORPGs, SWG and WoW, have done/are about to do something no other MMORPG has ever done except UO and EQ when they got first released - EXPAND the market. SWG got over 330,000 accounts. A solid 200k of them were NEW MMORPG players who never played a MMORPG before. WoW is in position to do the same, and maybe even MORE! (There are roughly 5 million Blizzard fans worldwide who never played a MMORPG.)

Link to Funcoms cancel of migard:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2002/09/12/news_2880097.html

Also stated is that Funcom is in the middle of cutbacks..

Funcom has always been a "Mom and Pop" company. They have made just 1 MMORPG. They are not experienced in the industry. They also suffered from bad missmanagement which they are still recovering from. AO is not a runaway success, but is doing well enough to be a bona fid hit. AO could be doing TWICE as good as its now doing, and even could have been a runaway success... but alas gross missmanagement made AO have one of the worse ever releases in MMORPG history. Funcom's game was 100% unplayable a full 6 months to 1 year after release.

Well you and I don't have access to exact number but microsoft has paid alot of money for there studies and in there news report based on those studies the results were that the MMoRPG industry was saturated and was into a down turn. Here is a link:

http://www.mythica.com/Default.htm?c00=0

Any company can have gross missmanagement. MicroCrap....errr... MicroSoft is a prime example. They have 2 failed MMORPGs. Mythica and AC2. (They recently sold Turbine back to itself and got rid of AC2.) The problem is with MicroSoft, not with the MMORPG industry.

There was also a report done after 2003 E3 with the meeting of several MMoRPG developers stating the same thing. Is there room for a better MMoRPG sure there is but there going to get there player base from existing MMoRPG's forcing more to close there doors.

Both true, and untrue. See my examples about SWG and WoW. image

Its already starting to happen even SoE has now pulled all support from EQ as there player base slowly changes. They have even pulled all main programers from SWG and put them to EQ2. With WoW / GW / UO:X / DE / L2 / CoH / EQ2 all out this year existing MMoRPG's will have to find a way to keep the doors open.

This is 100% FALSE information. This is 100% untrue. List your sources. Ahhh.. you have none. Sony has very recently released yet another new expansion for EQ. And has announced more new expansions for EQ to come. EQ has undergone a major programming overhaul. EQ is still undergoing more major programming overhauls. This would be impossible to do if your info was correct... if "SOE has now pulled all support from EQ." LOL!

SWG is about to release it's next expansion, the SE aka Space Expansion. This would be impossible to do if your info were correct. If "they have pulled all main programers from SWG and put them to EQ2." LOL! EQ2 and SWG have two DIFFERENT and full programing teams for the past 3+ years. There has been just 1 guy who left SWG and came aboard EQ2. And he is not a major programmer of SWG.

You can take UXO out of the lineup. No current work is being done on it. ALL of its major programmers have long left the game. image

Funcom is now giving away AO plus all expantions just to get there numbers up and make money from there subsciptions. Risk your Life now gone open beta has just released news that at this time there will be no english client. Why? Maybe there seeing that going over seas is the only market left thats not over run with these same games.

You keep mentioning Funcom over and over and over. Funcom and AO have ONE major direct competitor - Sony and SWG. AO is technically a better game than SWG. (SWG actually copied, then IMPROVED many features from AO). But AO 100% botched it's release, and it's 1st year of release. In fact, AO was 95% UN-playable its first 6 months to 1 year of release. SWG was 90% playable 2 days after release and it's first 10 months of release.

Funcom is suffering because of gross missmanagement, not because of a shrinking MMORPG playerbase, or because of the industry.

=========================
    ======= SIGNATURE =========
    MMORPG games I've played:
    -------------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/capt_xplororor

More games:
    -----------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

Originally posted by xplororor

The majority of MMORPGs gettting shut down are v a p o r w a r e. They never got released in the first place. EnB got shut down because the game DEVs never listened to players suggestions on how to make it a better game. EnB was compeating vs EvE, Freelancer, and Jumpgate. They are still doing extreemly well.

What a load of crap!! EnB was not vaporware  nor was Rubies of eventide what the hell are you even talking about. Both games were released and lasted about 1 year how the hell is this vaporware. Next how can a MMoRPG thats out and shutting down be vaporware. Do you even know what vaporware is? What a stupid statement.

Next, not all MMORPGs directly compeat vs each other. There is the oversaturated D&D-themed aka Tolkien-themed MMORPG market. There is the still growing Sci-Fi themed market. Space-Only sims market (EnB, EvE, Jumpgate, etc...). And even the "unique" market like City of Heros aka CoH.

So what? No not all are the same kinda game but every single one has direct compeditors and if one game is better than another then people go to the better one and the old one shuts down. AKA EnB and EvE. CoH is not a unique market it just a different idea for the base story and its still the same crap level grinding wrapped in a different package. All these games are the same there all based on level grinding either for crafting, combat, questing, or whatever. WoW has the right idea here just take all the best from all MMoRPG put it in one package and take from all your compeditors.

Next, two MMORPGs, SWG and WoW, have done/are about to do something no other MMORPG has ever done except UO and EQ when they got first released - EXPAND the market. SWG got over 330,000 accounts. A solid 200k of them were NEW MMORPG players who never played a MMORPG before. WoW is in position to do the same, and maybe even MORE! (There are roughly 5 million Blizzard fans worldwide who never played a MMORPG.)

More bull 200k of new never played a MMoRPG before thats too funny. You want me to state my sources please do the same. Your making crap up here there. 5 million Blizzard fans that have never played a MMoRPG your too funny did you interview them all? Let me see the list of names and contacts I want to check your source.

Hell SWG doesn't even have 330K active accounts. Oh and don't forget that over 50% of the people that bought SWG never played over there free month. Sure they sold alot of coppies and ya they sold 330K coppies but they don't have those accounts active. You see now all those great influx of people you were talking about are no longer playing a MMoRPG what about that?

Funcom has always been a "Mom and Pop" company. They have made just 1 MMORPG. They are not experienced in the industry. They also suffered from bad missmanagement which they are still recovering from. AO is not a runaway success, but is doing well enough to be a bona fid hit. AO could be doing TWICE as good as its now doing, and even could have been a runaway success... but alas gross missmanagement made AO have one of the worse ever releases in MMORPG history. Funcom's game was 100% unplayable a full 6 months to 1 year after release.

And Blizzard has never made a MMoRPG before ever whats your point? Are you saying that because Blizzard has no experience in MMoRPG's that there game will be crap?? Are you saying that SWG sucks because L.A. have never managed a MMoRPG before? I agree AO would be doing alot better if they didn't screw up so much. But to state that because a company has never made a MMoRPG before that they will fail is 100% faulse. Sony never made a MMoRPG before EQ and look how it has done.

Any company can have gross missmanagement. MicroCrap....errr... MicroSoft is a prime example. They have 2 failed MMORPGs. Mythica and AC2. (They recently sold Turbine back to itself and got rid of AC2.) The problem is with MicroSoft, not with the MMORPG industry.

Your right microsoft is the worst business managers in the world thats why there at the top of the food chain. image Mythica never failed BTW because it was never released. Also Microsoft never owned Turbine to begin with how can it sell what it never owned? Yes microsoft sold there share of both AC and AC2 back to turbine not sure what you trying to say here. To me it was a great management move only proving there smart. Microsoft is not dropping MMoRPG's though they have other titles in the works.

This is 100% FALSE information. This is 100% untrue. List your sources. Ahhh.. you have none. Sony has very recently released yet another new expansion for EQ. And has announced more new expansions for EQ to come. EQ has undergone a major programming overhaul. EQ is still undergoing more major programming overhauls. This would be impossible to do if your info was correct... if "SOE has now pulled all support from EQ." LOL!

Well if you accually followed the news you would know that SoE hired all new less exp people to program the lastest expantion for EQ and which is why it sucks so bad. Its full of bugs and there not fixing them. Why? Well its simple the few new programers they do have are working on a new expantion instead of fixing GoD.

SWG is about to release it's next expansion, the SE aka Space Expansion. This would be impossible to do if your info were correct. If "they have pulled all main programers from SWG and put them to EQ2." LOL! EQ2 and SWG have two DIFFERENT and full programing teams for the past 3+ years. There has been just 1 guy who left SWG and came aboard EQ2. And he is not a major programmer of SWG.

Different or not Verants long time programers who now work for SoE that program SWG and helped with EQ are being moved from project to project. If you think SoE has totally different main programers that only ever work on 1 project your nuts. Hell some of the programers on SWG new expantion are even from EQ's GoD expantion. Thats how they get fresh ideas by moving people around. Now don't get me wrong some of the new minds SoE has are having some good ideas but the bugs that are hitting the new expantions are pretty bad. SoE's new baby is EQ2 if you think they don't have the best people there your also off. Anyone can put an add in a paper and get new people for existing games but will what comes out be the same feel as the game your use too? Of course not. AO's expantion SL is a prime example of that. Mythic made the same mistake with ToA for DAoC both expantions changed the core game and caused people to leave there player base.

I don't know if SWG new expantion pack will be good for SWG or not and god knows they need more content. But people are leaving existing games from poor expantions to new games and these old games will eventually have to close there doors. SWG has alot of money behind it but just like microsoft be sure that SoE and LA know when to get out of a sinking ship. After all its about them making money. If the big bucks are not rolling in these games will close.

SWG has been reactivation old accounts even with no one playing them as they did in January.

You can take UXO out of the lineup. No current work is being done on it. ALL of its major programmers have long left the game. image

Well this is news to me but thanks for posting yet another title that will never be because they know the market can't support them.

You keep mentioning Funcom over and over and over. Funcom and AO have ONE major direct competitor - Sony and SWG. AO is technically a better game than SWG. (SWG actually copied, then IMPROVED many features from AO). But AO 100% botched it's release, and it's 1st year of release. In fact, AO was 95% UN-playable its first 6 months to 1 year of release. SWG was 90% playable 2 days after release and it's first 10 months of release.

95% unplayable after 6 months is crap. It was playable at release just plagued with lag which was 1000% better 6 months after release. Hell it got alot better 1 month after release because alot of people left after there free month LOL. 1 year after release it was the best MMoRPG out and all lag was fixed. But I will agree it was released way before it should have been.

Funcom is suffering because of gross missmanagement, not because of a shrinking MMORPG playerbase, or because of the industry.

True but that doesn't change the fact that EnB and rubies oif eventide both closed because of industry saturation. It doesn't change the fact that Microsoft stopped mythic because of industry saturation. It doesn't change the fact that Funcom stopped production of midgard because of industry saturation. These are all not in dispute and backed by statments from the companies themselves.

Your welcome to your opinion as we all are. Your even welcome to believe what you do about the industry. But the facts are all out there and the numbers are dropping from the current titles. Are all these people just waiting for the next big thing? Who knows.. But is the MMoRPG industry still in its big upturn? No way!!

You said yourself that UO:X is no longer being worked on and look at the money behind that. That will make 3 huge companies pulling the plug of 3 big MMoRPG's and 2 big current MMoRPG closed in less than 1 year. Thats alot of change from 2 years ago where everyone was making money hand over fist from MMoRPG's.

Will MMoRPGs drop out? also No way! MMoRPG's are here to stay but the best will survive and the old with fade away. The next big thing is after years of playing EQ are people willing to start again from scratch knowing they will have to just start again later? People had some idea that they were going to keep there characters forever. But after now knowing that is not true will they continue to pay to play a game. Or will they just play there home games that they can play whenever and keep playing as long as they want. So many questions that we will have to wait to find the answers to.

One thing is for sure GW will rock the industry with there free monthly fee.

• MotorheadMotorhead Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

Oxymoron alert !!

Please leave the area in an orderly fashion as quickly as possible.

Thank you.

--------------------------------------------
    Frodo has failed. Bush has The Ring.

----------------------------------------------
    "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb." -- Batman

• HexxedHexxed Member Posts: 2

U know I ve played them all, UO EQ, AC, AO, E&B, etc, etc, but I kept away from SWG because of all the bad press it was getting, and god has there been some vetriol over this game!

Then 3 weeks ago I was in my local comp game shop and they had a copy of SWG in a box someone had droped and then kicked around a bit, on sale for peanuts, so I bought it. After all, what did I have to lose.

So, I installed it, created an account, and logged into what looked like a server with a few people on it.

6 hours latter I logged out, made a cup of tea, lite a cigg and went back to all the the bad reviews on MMORPG.com and re-read them.

Having spent a few minutes doing this I feel the need to ask all the people who have wrote them...what the hell is up with you guys? Have you actually ever played another MMORPG?

This game has more features, more to do and a bigger player-map then any other game out there. It even made crafting simi interesting :/

Small server populations? Have you tryed to get through naboo or the capital at peak times? Damn, I havent seen that much "selling/buff" spam out side of parts of UO a few years ago

Ok so it has buggs - name me a mmorpg a year after release that doesnt? But at least SOE (and I have to say I'm not one of SOE greatest fans) seem to be actively working on them.

So come on, own-up, all you guys giving these game bad reviews, you work for Funcom, Turbin, etc. dont you? :/

Originally posted by Hexxed

6 hours latter I logged out, made a cup of tea, lite a cigg and went back to all the the bad reviews on MMORPG.com and re-read them.

6 hours into a game and you think you have played it? Interesting you think a MMoRPG ends after 6 hours.

Having spent a few minutes doing this I feel the need to ask all the people who have wrote them...what the hell is up with you guys? Have you actually ever played another MMORPG?

I have played EQ/AO/SWG/Horizons/DAoC/Neocron/SB/L2/AC/AC2/and many more not so big like The Realm. I finished SWG in 1 1/2 months.. Killed every mob / did there lame ass missions / own my houses / max out character / did there lame PvP / got every badge / finished ever dungeon if thats what you call them / crafted.. Content is lacking big time and after 6 hours ingame your no where near know that yet.

This game has more features, more to do and a bigger player-map then any other game out there. It even made crafting simi interesting :/

Bull crap... No one has a bigger play world than EQ. The game has no instance dungeons which Ao/EQ/CoH/and soon DAoC have. Horizons has a way better crafting system and WoW will to since they took theres from horizons. Now I think SWG crafting is not bad so I will give you that.

Small server populations? Have you tryed to get through naboo or the capital at peak times? Damn, I havent seen that much "selling/buff" spam out side of parts of UO a few years ago

AFK bot hell thats all SWG is take out all the AFK people and your the only one left online LOL.

Ok so it has buggs - name me a mmorpg a year after release that doesnt? But at least SOE (and I have to say I'm not one of SOE greatest fans) seem to be actively working on them.

Agreed but SWG has more broken than most since over 50% of the badges don't work / only 2 out of 5 of the mission booths accually work / Crafting has some major nasties / CM's can shoot poison through a mile of rock (ya whatever) / character balance simple doesn't exist and more.

So come on, own-up, all you guys giving these game bad reviews, you work for Funcom, Turbin, etc. dont you? :/

Sorry only work for myself..

If your enjoying the game thats great but after 6 hours your limited view isn't really a valid one do you think? The game is ok for a casual gamer that doesn't play much but soon a casual gamer can play a MMoRPG for free so why pay a monthly fee for what you might play a few times a month.

SWG is not the worst game out it just simple not even in the top 10.

Originally posted by Motorhead

Oxymoron alert !!

Ahh yes another person with no knowledge trying to up his post count..

Do you even know what an oxymoron is? By all means post your proof otherwise limp away.

• panachepanache Member UncommonPosts: 397

I don't think any of the new crop of mmorpgs have even come close to claiming games such as EQ DAoC and AO's throne.

I tried Lineage beta....looks marvelous but thats all it does have in its favour.

Next CoH...first 3 days i was having fun now couldn't be bothered if i play it again.

SWG...I'm still there. Moved from a busy eclipse server to Tempest which is as quiet as pub after closing time. If i had to chose which one to cancel between CoH and SWG i think it would be CoH. I'm not a big fan of SWG but i do like the setting. It could be a lot better if people would actually play the game instead of AFK'ing through professions

I can't figure out why the newer mmorpg's aren't bettering the earlier ones such as DAoC. Eg: The pvp in this game with its keep takes, frontier wars, and battlegrounds for noobie players must have been almost spot on so why didn't Limeage 2 and SWG copy it??

WoW has a lot expectations to live up to...i hope its worthy of it.

Pan

Panache I could not agree more with your post your very right. I just wish mythic would not make people have buff bots but its making them too much money.

CoH is a very poor game for its time but man what great graphics and sound.... I find this to be the common problem with all games these days they are so bent on great looking games they forget to accually make a game to back it.

Believe it or not one the the best MMoRPG's out still to this day is The Realm which was released even before OU and EQ. Graphics are cartoon but what a great fun game.

Oxymoron alert !!

Do you even know what an oxymoron is? By all means post your proof otherwise limp away.

Trying to up my post count???  I'm afraid you don't know me at all...

Just to play your little game:

Examples of oxymorons:

Butthead.

Hells Angels.

Only choice.

Original copies.

Alone together.

Those are the only ones that immediately come to mind.  Wait, one more...

Intelligent Crowen.

Did I pass your test?  Oops, look at that, I upped my post count.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Trying to up my post count???  I'm afraid you don't know me at all...

Just to play your little game:

Examples of oxymorons:

Butthead.

Hells Angels.

Only choice.

Original copies.

Alone together.

Those are the only ones that immediately come to mind.  Wait, one more...

Intelligent Crowen.

Did I pass your test?  Oops, look at that, I upped my post count.

PWNED

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• panachepanache Member UncommonPosts: 397

Thanks Crowen....The buffbot issue was what finally made me realise my time with the best mmorpg was almost up. With people i knew powerlevelling alts instead of grouping as we did at the start i thought i would make an infi. Getting my infi to 50 i soon discovered i was severely hampered by being botless.

I would hit for 40 ...they would hit me for 300! and don't mention dragonfang... eeew!

Mythic managed to make the best mmorpg...and managed to destroy it for everyone else apart from it's hard core community.

I remember once being accused of cheating while playing my weak botless infi by a guy who i killed who owned toa weps, armour, and a squillion realm point abilities. These people still wanted to own everybody. With all their loot, armour, abilities and bot they still couldn't bear it when somebody would get lucky...just once.

Time for me to /cancel

Pan

What a load of crap!! EnB was not vaporware  nor was Rubies of eventide what the hell are you even talking about. Both games were released and lasted about 1 year how the hell is this vaporware. Next how can a MMoRPG thats out and shutting down be vaporware. Do you even know what vaporware is? What a stupid statement.

Learn how to read E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G. It may even help if you re-read my quote 5 times over and over before shooting from the hip. Where did I say EnB was vaporware? Do I need to list for you the unreleased games that have been cancelled?

So what?

You now obviously have never owned a buisness in real life, or taken buisness courses. Who your direct competition is, does so matter more than who your indirect competition is. You personally can deny this. But Mr. Reality does not.

No not all are the same kinda game but every single one has direct compeditors and if one game is better than another then people go to the better one and the old one shuts down. AKA EnB and EvE. CoH is not a unique market it just a different idea for the base story and its still the same crap level grinding wrapped in a different package. All these games are the same there all based on level grinding either for crafting, combat, questing, or whatever. WoW has the right idea here just take all the best from all MMoRPG put it in one package and take from all your compeditors.

1. Thank you for agreeing with me when you say "Not all are the same". That is all you needed to say. The rest of your quote is made moot by your first sentance. The fact that no all MMORPGs are the same means not all of them directly compeat vs each other. Means not all of them have gthe same Target Audiance.

More bull 200k of new never played a MMoRPG before thats too funny. You want me to state my sources please do the same. Your making crap up here there. 5 million Blizzard fans that have never played a MMoRPG your too funny did you interview them all? Let me see the list of names and contacts I want to check your source.

1. Nice, you take the baby easy way out. I FIRST ask you to list your sources. You refuse. End of story.

2. After SWG came out, the rest of the MMORPG market did N-O-T suffer any major player losses. None of the other MMORPGs suffered a signifigant drop in numbers. Thus SWG brought a solid 200k new players into the MMORPG market.

3. *Sigh* see -> Blizzard has sold millions of copies of Diablo, Diablo 2, and Warcraft. (I won't even count the copies of Starcraft.). Thus Blizard has a solid 5 million fans world wide. See how easy that works out?

-> Now, (visit Sir Bruce's site)(or even my fansite :) and add up all the current MMORPG players and it comes far, far, far, short of 5 million. Thus all those Blizzard fans do NOT play MMORPGs.

-> Blizzard is making its first ever MMORPG. Obviously it's hordes of fans know about it and will try it out. If Blizzard can get just a fraction of its millions of fans to try out its newest MMORPG, then viola! Blizzard will have EXPANDED the MMORPG market! Blizzard = a NICE oppertunity for the MMORPG industry! :)

Hell SWG doesn't even have 330K active accounts. Oh and don't forget that over 50% of the people that bought SWG never played over there free month. Sure they sold alot of coppies and ya they sold 330K coppies but they don't have those accounts active. You see now all those great influx of people you were talking about are no longer playing a MMoRPG what about that?

1. At the time SWG released to the press it had reached the 330k player mark SWG had 20 servers. Each server can store 24k accounts. Each server can ALLOW 12k accounts to be played online at the exact same time.

2. When loging into SWG the game shows how crowed each server is. When a server is 50% full, it means 6k players are on it. When a server is 25% full it means 3k players are on it. When a server is 100% full it means 12k players are on it.

3. SWG is SCS (Single Character Server). Which means unlike EQ (which has 400k+ accounts) SWG actually has far more individuale players vs every single other MMORPG.

4. SWG has recently ADDED 5 more new servers. For a total of 25 servers right now.

5. It is your word vs what SONY, LucasArts, the Flannel One himself, the stockholders, and all the major media. Who is more likely to be corret? You or them?

And Blizzard has never made a MMoRPG before ever whats your point? Are you saying that because Blizzard has no experience in MMoRPG's that there game will be crap?? Are you saying that SWG sucks because L.A. have never managed a MMoRPG before? I agree AO would be doing alot better if they didn't screw up so much. But to state that because a company has never made a MMoRPG before that they will fail is 100% faulse. Sony never made a MMoRPG before EQ and look how it has done.

You completly lost my point. So I will state it again. It is MISSMANAGEMENT that is the problem with Funcom. Gross Missmanagement to the highest degree. Not every vaporware or released but then shut down game ALL fail for the exact same reason. In Funcom's case, and MicroCrap.... errrr... MicroSoft's case they failed because of gross missmanagement.

And if you re-read my earlier quotes you will see that I am FOR Blizzard.

BTW, the programmers behind EQ DID make mmorpg-type games before making EQ. They were called MUDDs. Everything a MMORPG has, except graphics.

Your right microsoft is the worst business managers in the world thats why there at the top of the food chain. image 

In the MMORPG industry, MicroSoft is not at the top. They are at the far bottom. MicroSoft has yet to succeed in the MMORPG industry. Need another example? GE is a multi-Billion company that is far bigger than MicroSoft. But they failed in the TV industry. They were at the bottom of the "food chain" in the TV industry. GE is at the top of the Turbine making industry.

In the MMORPG industry, MicroSoft is a 100% complete failure so far.

Mythica never failed BTW because it was never released.

LOL! Try telling that to MicroSoft which LOST over 20 million ... money never ever to be seen ever again. F-A-I-L-U-R-E. Vaporware is failure. A released game that gets shut down is failure. Both are failures.

Also Microsoft never owned Turbine to begin with how can it sell what it never owned? Yes microsoft sold there share of both AC and AC2 back to turbine not sure what you trying to say here. To me it was a great management move only proving there smart. Microsoft is not dropping MMoRPG's though they have other titles in the works.

Eh, now you are showing how out of touch you are. MicroSoft did own Turbine and AC, AC2. They 100% owned it. They called the shots, decieded who got hired, fired. Killed Turbine with gross missmanagement, then sold Turbine back to itself. Turbine by the end of this year should own all of itself back including the billing part of itself.

My Quote:

Crowen's response:

Well if you accually followed the news you would know that SoE hired all new less exp people to program the lastest expantion for EQ and which is why it sucks so bad. Its full of bugs and there not fixing them. Why? Well its simple the few new programers they do have are working on a new expantion instead of fixing GoD.

Dude, EQ2 has been in production for 2+ YEARS. SWG has been in production for 3+ years. Far, far, bafore EQ's latest exapansion. What this means is EQ, EQ2, and SWG have all had seperate teams working on them.

If you followed the news you would be able to show your source in which "ALL support for EQ is now gone". You would be able to show your source in which "ALL support for SWG is gone and moved to EQ2". LOL.

Last, this is not about if EQ's newest expansion being good or bad. That is for the EQ forums.

My quote:

Crowen's reply:

Different or not Verants long time programers who now work for SoE that program SWG and helped with EQ are being moved from project to project. If you think SoE has totally different main programers that only ever work on 1 project your nuts. Hell some of the programers on SWG new expantion are even from EQ's GoD expantion. Thats how they get fresh ideas by moving people around. Now don't get me wrong some of the new minds SoE has are having some good ideas but the bugs that are hitting the new expantions are pretty bad. SoE's new baby is EQ2 if you think they don't have the best people there your also off. Anyone can put an add in a paper and get new people for existing games but will what comes out be the same feel as the game your use too? Of course not. AO's expantion SL is a prime example of that. Mythic made the same mistake with ToA for DAoC both expantions changed the core game and caused people to leave there player base.

Stop trying to weasel your way out of your original quote. You SAID "ALL SWG programmers have been pulled from SWG and are now working on EQ2". I told you to list your source/sources. I of course knew ahead of time you would  not be able to. LOL. Still waiting...... show me/us/ all the lurkers here... your source that ALL programmers for SWG are now working on EQ2?

Next, at the EQ site, EQ2 site, and SWG site, every programmer is LISTED. None of the names are the same. Kind of obvious it is different programmers and programming teams working on all 3 games.

- EQ is STILL a massive cash cow for SONY. With 300k+ paying accounts. Ya darn straight there are programmers and still support for EQ.

I don't know if SWG new expantion pack will be good for SWG or not and god knows they need more content. But people are leaving existing games from poor expantions to new games and these old games will eventually have to close there doors. SWG has alot of money behind it but just like microsoft be sure that SoE and LA know when to get out of a sinking ship. After all its about them making money. If the big bucks are not rolling in these games will close.

This is all pure opinion from you. Yes players are leaving existing games. But all the existing games mentioned - EQ, SWG, AO, are successful. And the upcoming ones... EQ2, WoW, will be successfull. (They already have a sizeable core fanbase alraedy in place and waiting for them to get released.)

Thus the current existing games mentioned are not about to fail. The soon to be released games are not about to fail. And with Blizzard's chance to do what SWG did, and do it even better (further expand the MMORPG market) there are better times ahead!

SWG has been reactivation old accounts even with no one playing them as they did in January.

Only SONY and LucasArts knows how many accounts have recently been reactivated. But the fact remains, SWG IS a success. It IS a hit. It has easily 200k accounts. (300k actually.). SWG HAS added many MORE new servers. A failing game does not add more new servers. A failing game cannot add more new servers (servers cost hundreds of thousands of $$$).

Well this is news to me but thanks for posting yet another title that will never be because they know the market can't support them.

This is intresting. I thank you for at least being honest and showing how out of touch you are with the MMORPG industry. UXO's woes are old news. a solid 2 months old. If the "recent news" with UXO is new news to you, how can you know about the "old news" with EQ, SWG, and EQ2, and WoW?

And? Every single MMORPG that succeeds long enough to reach its prime has engaged in give aways. EQ is the king of giveaways. In fact, everytime almost every new exapansion is released, EQ gives away free time to all former players. That's hundreds of thousands of players. They even get a free download. AC has also done this. It is no big news or shock if AO decides to also do it. AO has been out for how many years? How many?

Name and list all the games that have closed? Again, the majority are vaporware. (Mythica, Funcom's idea, etc..) Others suffered from missmanagement. ( Motorcity Online, EnB, etc...)

My quote:

Crowen's response: 

95% unplayable after 6 months is crap. It was playable at release just plagued with lag which was 1000% better 6 months after release. Hell it got alot better 1 month after release because alot of people left after there free month LOL. 1 year after release it was the best MMoRPG out and all lag was fixed. But I will agree it was released way before it should have been.

6 Months after release AO was sooo unplayable that they on purpose shut down part of their forums because there were toooo many negative complaints. AO was plagued by a vicious memory leak that made the game so unplayable. And it is sad you would say "AO got ...better ... because alot of people left". Sad. It shows where your really coming from. Like the  current players of AC2 saying the game is great because only 800 players are playing and there is less lag LOL.

True but that doesn't change the fact that EnB and rubies oif eventide both closed because of industry saturation. It doesn't change the fact that Microsoft stopped mythic because of industry saturation. It doesn't change the fact that Funcom stopped production of midgard because of industry saturation. These are all not in dispute and backed by statments from the companies themselves.

And here we are in full agreement. Though I get the idea you think it is because of the ENTIRE mmorpg market being over saturated. I on the other hand see it as the Swords and sorcery-market being oversaturated.

Your welcome to your opinion as we all are. Your even welcome to believe what you do about the industry. But the facts are all out there and the numbers are dropping from the current titles. Are all these people just waiting for the next big thing? Who knows.. But is the MMoRPG industry still in its big upturn? No way!!

Heheh, you just wait after WoW releases! The MMORPG industry right now in terms of how far it has come and has to go = to being a 12 year old kid in human years. The best is yet to come! EQ2, Lin2, WoW will all prove it.

You said yourself that UO:X is no longer being worked on and look at the money behind that. That will make 3 huge companies pulling the plug of 3 big MMoRPG's and 2 big current MMoRPG closed in less than 1 year. Thats alot of change from 2 years ago where everyone was making money hand over fist from MMoRPG's.

Actually UXO had very little money behind it. It had no new game engine. It was recycliing an old game engine from Unreal Tournament and adapting it to MMORPG forum. UXO is not taking full advantage of current technology. UXO cost rougly 5 million to 10 million to make. Either the same as EQ, or a bit more. Compare to EQ2, SWG, WoW, the true next generation games which are taking full advantage of current technology and actually making new game engines.

Will MMoRPGs drop out? also No way! MMoRPG's are here to stay but the best will survive and the old with fade away. The next big thing is after years of playing EQ are people willing to start again from scratch knowing they will have to just start again later? People had some idea that they were going to keep there characters forever. But after now knowing that is not true will they continue to pay to play a game. Or will they just play there home games that they can play whenever and keep playing as long as they want. So many questions that we will have to wait to find the answers to.

1. I see you are a Guild Wars die-hard fan eh? It remains to be seen how well GW does. So far all the MMORPG fansites feel the opposite of how you feel about it. (check out anyuzer.com for example)

2. I agree MMORPGs will never die off. Am I correct you are saying the market has reached it's highest point right now? I say it has not yet.

3. EQ has not been cancelled. So your quote "But after now knowing that is not true will they continue to pay to play a game." does NOT hold. A better example is UO. It is the oldest modern MMORPG. It recently got an UPSURGE of accounts. breaking the 300k subscriber mark! The graphics are horribly outdated. The game features however, easily compeate vs modern MMORPGs.

BTW, just so we all know where you are coming from, what MMORPGs have you played? How long have you played each one? Highest level character in each one? Name of server/servers you played on? Name of guilds/PAs/groups you were in?

Play on! Keep on having fun no matter what MMORPG you decide to play! imageimageimageimageimage

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------

More games:
    -----------

Originally posted by Hexxed

6 hours into a game and you think you have played it? Interesting you think a MMoRPG ends after 6 hours.

I agree with Crowen here. BUT in Hexxed's defense, each player has their OWN playstyle. Has fun their own way. If Hexxed enjoyed SWG then let him be. If Crowen hates SWG then let him be. The main thing is as long as only facts about SWG are posted, and not made up stuff, so that all the lurkers have a better chance of deciding if they want to try SWG.

- SWG is intended for CASUAL players. Players with 1-4 hours free time to play. Players who intend to use up their free time also on their spouse, kids, job, doing other things, going out, sleeping, showering, eating,,, etc... image

I have played EQ/AO/SWG/Horizons/DAoC/Neocron/SB/L2/AC/AC2/and many more not so big like The Realm. I finished SWG in 1 1/2 months.. Killed every mob / did there lame ass missions / own my houses / max out character / did there lame PvP / got every badge / finished ever dungeon if thats what you call them / crafted.. Content is lacking big time and after 6 hours ingame your no where near know that yet.

You Crowen are an uber-hardcore player. Definatly NOT the intended target market for SWG. You played SWG and now no longer play. No problem. Move on to another MMORPG in the left side menu. image

BTW if you really did finnish SWG in 2 months, that means you last played in July 2003. SWG right now is very, very, radically different than it was back then. image

Bull crap... No one has a bigger play world than EQ. The game has no instance dungeons which Ao/EQ/CoH/and soon DAoC have. Horizons has a way better crafting system and WoW will to since they took theres from horizons. Now I think SWG crafting is not bad so I will give you that.

Crowen, sorry dude, but SWG does have a far, far, bigger playable landsurface than the entire EQ. The SWG game DEVs are on record saying so. One of them now oversee's EQ and EQ2. I, and everyone else will take his word over yours in this. image

It is entirely your opinion if you think Horizons has a better crafting system than SWG. Your opinion does not override the opinion of Hexxed.

AFK bot hell thats all SWG is take out all the AFK people and your the only one left online LOL.

AFK players do not form groups, join groups, PvP, sell items to other players, do missions, talk to you, etc... You are obviously over-exaggerationg by saying he will be the only one online if all AFK players were kicked.

Agreed but SWG has more broken than most since over 50% of the badges don't work / only 2 out of 5 of the mission booths accually work / Crafting has some major nasties / CM's can shoot poison through a mile of rock (ya whatever) / character balance simple doesn't exist and more.

And every other MMORPG also has bugs MORE serious and as serious. Horizions had a WORSE release than SWG. So did AO. Horizions currently is almost unplayable because of bugs. AO was unplayble for months because of bugs. EQ the game with the motherlode of bugs - YEARS after release LOL.

Sorry only work for myself..

Hexxed, just have your own fun with SWG. The SWG bashers here at MMORPG.com are extreemly few. 5 to 15 posters. SWG has 200k to 330k players. LOL! imageimageimageimageimageimage No need to convice the SWG haters and bashers how good SWG is. Just continue to post your own good and nice experiences in SWG. image

If your enjoying the game thats great but after 6 hours your limited view isn't really a valid one do you think? The game is ok for a casual gamer that doesn't play much but soon a casual gamer can play a MMoRPG for free so why pay a monthly fee for what you might play a few times a month.

SWG is not the worst game out it just simple not even in the top 10.

Crowen, you have finally hit the nail on the head! SWG is intended for CASUAL gamers. Not hardcore gamers. As for you once again touting Guild Wars and how players will be able to play for free.....

SWG is out right now. SWG IS a success. GW is not yet out. GW is not yet a success.

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------

More games:
    -----------

Xplororor

You really should stop with the 142 page thesis of a reply to defend something.....hardly anyone will ever read all of it.

Just respond under 4000 words and we should pretty much get the idea what you're trying to say.

btw...SWG isnt a success roflmao

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Originally posted by En1Gma

Xplororor
    You really should stop with the 142 page thesis of a reply to defend something.....hardly anyone will ever read all of it.
    Just respond under 4000 words and we should pretty much get the idea what you're trying to say.

btw...SWG isnt a success roflmao

Thank God for a scroll mouse.

• OracleP4OracleP4 Member Posts: 495
    I'm posting here cause SWG does suck. Simple as that.

-------------------
    "Do I come to your workplace and tell you how to kill civilians? No, so don't tell me how to do my job" - Sam Fischer.

--OracleP4

-------------------
    "Do I come to your workplace and tell you how to kill civilians? No, so don't tell me how to do my job" - Sam Fischer.

--OracleP4

Like: DAoC, WOW, GW, DnL
    Dislike: SoR, EQ, EQ2, SWG, KO, AC2, CoH
    Don't Care About: Most Everything Else

• Originally posted by OracleP4
    I'm posting here cause SWG does suck. Simple as that.

-------------------
    --OracleP4

Posting in 1 thread that you hate SWG is ok. But running through many threads posting the exact same thing is ..... SPAMMING!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion.cfm/setstart/11/loadthread/13411/loadforum/433/loadclass/103

Are you too afraid the lurkers will ignore your first post? And thus you must spam more than 1 thread?

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------

More games:
    -----------

Posting in 1 thread that you hate SWG is ok. But running through many threads posting the exact same thing is ..... SPAMMING!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion.cfm/setstart/11/loadthread/13411/loadforum/433/loadclass/103

Are you too afraid the lurkers will ignore your first post? And thus you must spam more than 1 thread?

Although I disagree with your above saying, I do have to say I am glad to see your reply was shortened!  image

• OracleP4OracleP4 Member Posts: 495

Actually my two posts weren't the exact same thing. So get over it.

-------------------

--OracleP4

-------------------

--OracleP4

Like: DAoC, WOW, GW, DnL
    Dislike: SoR, EQ, EQ2, SWG, KO, AC2, CoH
    Don't Care About: Most Everything Else