Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heres my take on the classes

numaticnumatic Member UncommonPosts: 670

Now i know this is just an early alpha demo but i figured i would give my opinion on the current classes

Necromancer- Debuffer. About the only thing useful about him. He seems to have no main direct damage ability. Siphon is nice if your attribute is high. It can do some pretty good dmage. The debuffs are pretty wicked though. But for soloability he has none. Luckily we can take 2 classes. Because in Solo, his skills arent very useful fighting more then 1 enemy. And even then your energy is better spent on a damage spell.

Warrior- Your average run of the mill tank. But they can do some pretty sick damage if they get on you. They take it fairly well as well. Especially if they had the upgraded armor (which i could not get). I mean, i dropped some with my elem in 2 hits, others it takes like 5.

Ranger- Seems like a decent class. But i never played it. Fought against them alot though in the arena. They can do some pretty good damage per shot (i got hit for 55 by one like 3 times in a row).

Elementalist- Good all around mage class. Probably the most versatile. The flame line could use a little tweaking. Because its either a stationary AOE or PBAOE. I found the air line(lightning) to be extremely usefull in PvP. In solo PvE Fire works very well though. I didnt try earth or ice spells.

Monk- Probably the most popular class in the demo. And extremely powerful when a warrior/monk or monk/elem. They take forever to kill and are invaluable in groups.

Mesmer- Dont know a thing about them. Rarely saw a person playing one. I'm not even sure i encountered one in PvP lol.

The classes i played were

Warrior/Monk

Necro/Elem

Warrior/Elem

My necro/elem was my main. He did fairly well, but i found myself rarely ever using his necro spells. Infact the only skill i found myself using was Siphon and nothing else. The rest of my bar was filled with elem skills. And you rarely saw a necro as primary running around. They were usually used as secondary for rangers or warriors. Unfortunately i was unable to upgrade my armor and my bow was only at like 9-11 or something near there. I found soloing with him to be rough after playing my warrior/monk. I could deal good damage but i died very quick and almost always was going up against like 3-5 mobs at once.

The most popular was probably the warrior/monk combo. Pratically indestructable in 1v1 combat against any other type of class. (i saw 2 of the same go at it forever, it took a few minutes for one of them to win).

The game itself is alot of fun, if you don't burn yourself on it. It's a totally different curve from your ordinary MMORPG. It gives you the ability to PvP without having to level grind so much. Oh and if you didnt get a chance to play it, the skills listed on the main website are merely the ones we started out with. You can buy alot more from the Gem Trader in the city. (spells come in the form of gems, you buy them then go to your trainer)

Comments

• tallsmartmantallsmartman Member Posts: 53

My main was a Warrior/Monk and he was quite good. The other best would be a Warrior/Elementalist.

I did try many other cobos for short periods of time... and I personally found monks to be very vulnerable in or out of groups. Their lack of armour made them easy targets, and for some reason, every time i went on co-op missions, the monk would always be attacked first by the NPCs, no matter where the monk stood, either in front in back or in between. I think those giant scorpians are intellagent... ^_^

I liked the Necro skill where you just touch the person and you do tons of damage. 

I played a mesmer for a short period of time, but I remember no more, than they didn't seem usefull.

I think the only thing needed, is for all professions be able to wear some sort of armour. I know a ranger shouldnt be able to wear as good of stuff as a warrior, but I hope, and assume there will be somthing available.

But anyway, I liked your post ^_^

• TiberiuxTiberiux Member Posts: 90

I'm Warrior Rogue and charmed a lynx last night.

Havn't done much PVP yet so no real opinion. Isee some huge PVP potential: Especially some hunt/survive style large maps would be awesome, with some aggro NPCs out there.

Awesome game so far.

First impression was a bit avg, but it takes about 4 hours of Alpha play to get really into it.

Dying to get home and play with my clan.

• CrimsonRyokoCrimsonRyoko Member Posts: 6

My main was Ashes to Ashes, Elementalist/Warrior.

I maxed my fire skill since you start with those, and got a fire charm or two even if they arent proven to work. With Pheonix/Fireball/Firestorm, and as a close combat answer Lava Gout/Inferno it was really easy to gank enemies, i had tons of warriors comment on my "Kamakazee(sp?) skill". Pheonix does massive damage if right next to the enemy you target. So with a Firestorm-Pheonix-Fireball-Inferno i could take out 4-5 Charr solo, if i got my armors up in time.

Truthfully i dont think i ever used a Warrior skill passed the first solo stage, and think i would have been better off with some other class since the secondary doesnt contribute to HP at all, so a Elem/Necro would prolly be very cool for siphon since its a one trick pony, or maybe mesmer if they have a nice fire debuff for enemies.

Not saying Elems are overpowered, but we do seem to be the dominant damage dealers, and last long enough to deal it as well, so maybe a lil balance is in order.....

A Spell is Worth a Thousand Hardships...

A Spell is Worth a Thousand Hardships...

• numaticnumatic Member UncommonPosts: 670
    Actually my warrior/monk had the same HP as my necro/elem. It was just a matter of armor.

• balkor02balkor02 Member Posts: 1

My main was Ranger/Necro

Extremely overpowered in my opinion for PvE. I was taking on 3 to 4 mobs at once and not losing health at all. With Siphon Life on multiple mob is was outrageous. Put siphon life w/ attack speed sllow (forgot name sorry) and Ranger Pin (Snare or Slow movemnet speed) its just nuts. I for one love the Archery in the game but it needs a bit of a tune down. just my 2cp

Balkor Bloodbath

Been playing MMORPG's longer than some of you been alive!

• OracleP4OracleP4 Member Posts: 495

Monk is definitely the most useful class in GW! Everyone should have a little bit of monk in them! The best parties I was in always had at least half the people being a primary or secondary monk!

--OracleP4

-------------------
    "Do I come to your workplace and tell you how to kill civilians? No, so don't tell me how to do my job" - Sam Fischer.

--OracleP4

Like: DAoC, WOW, GW, DnL
    Dislike: SoR, EQ, EQ2, SWG, KO, AC2, CoH
    Don't Care About: Most Everything Else

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

lol Necro/Mesmer although a hard class to play can slaughter masses if you know waht your doing.

Using spells like desease with the necro and then epidemic with the mesmer can weaken a whole team incredably.

Phantasm from the mesmer can really annoy people.
    Backfire is amazing if used probperly.
    some spells making there spells reload time 30 seconds. and blackout was deadly.

as for necro they are usually situational.
    I was owned a few times by some good necros who could use there debuffs and some of there damage spells to waist anybody very fast.

Ranger is very good, and I enjoyed being a Ranger/Necro.

The warrior class has a few interesteing twists with the elements, and Adrenelin.
    If you really learn how to use the class most of them are VERY powerful.
    at the end, with fast shot, tongue biter, and some other skills, as well as some rituals, it was quite powerful.

I thought the game was very balanced, but as warned at beginning some classes (namely Mesmer) require advanced tactics.

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

• BauBBauB Member Posts: 2

I'm with Munki. I was Necro/Mezmer and there's no character type I couldn't solo. It's not as good as some classes in PvE, but in PvP it's very good. Vile Touch is an awesome pbDD spell that only uses 10 energy :P Awesome combo, just takes some getting used to (and some skill gems).

• SevorelithSevorelith Member Posts: 1

My main was a necro/ranger and if you think necros had no ability to solo, then you clearly didn't know how to fully utilize the classes skills.

No direct damage capability? Ever use vampiric touch may not be much on the wow factor in terms of damage (~35), but add in the fact that like all lifetaps it heals you as well and its value should be clearly evident.

And if you happened to be fighting a group of mobs, kill one and target the corpse blow it up and every other mob in the area gets hit for about 90 dmg.

Mix the necro with a ranger and make liberal use of pin down and apply poison and you'll easily kill pretty much anything you come across.

And that's only touching on a few of the necro skills...not all are useful, but the same can be said for all the classes.

• Help you fill out the part on mesmer.

Mesmer- Control style character equavilent to control deck in MTG for those for played it. It has spells tat counter spells, cause and effect style spells, and skill denial spells. Its great versues mages but against against physical style characters, an energy tap followed by spell shackles will piss them off.

Im a pure mesmer in alpha and have access to all skills of mesmer( which is only 17 ) . Its great vs boss mobs since a back fire on them + empathy will sure deal massive dmg ignoring defense

Why do people play game to cheat?

• HypnotoadHypnotoad Member Posts: 138

Yeh mesmar is an excellent class! I just loved poisoning someone with my ranger skill then using epidemic to spread it around all the enemys!

Also ranger is brilliant because of a certain skill called valiant wind, if u had someone in arena with this it meant u had won for it makes all yours skills cost a lot less mana and with recharge means u literally have infinite skill casting ability

All glory to the Hypnotoad (monotone voices)

• YaraDarkwindYaraDarkwind Member Posts: 4

In the E3 Demo my character was a Necro/Monk.... its kinda oximoronic, but it was very effective (especialy in stony summit) By using Rotting Flesh i could poison the monster from far away, and by the time they got to me they were halfway dead from the posion along with me shooting it with a bow and life syphons... when ot got close, pull out holy smite, and vampirc touch and it would be dead... and with the monk i could sit there and heal my party and res the ones that died which is very valuable... lol It also seems that the Warror/Elem is also very strong... some of my friend played them and seemed to be fairly strong... all i know is Guild Wars was increadibly addictive to just be in its Alpha stage.

• HubertHubert Member Posts: 10

Great topic !

Let me summarize my three and a half day experience with the game. (Actually it was about 15 hours)

I played it as monk/warrior, and tried monk/ranger and ranger/warrior to a small extent.

I mostly play as a melee tank, but I tried being a monk in NWN, loved it, so I gave him a try in Guild Wars too. ! image

So, Monk skills: I begun the game with Heal Area, Resurrect, Mending, Banish, and Healing Breeze.

Heal Area was tricky, I could use it after fights only, otherwise it heals the Mobs too.

Resurrect: This is a must have, otherwise you are stuck with that 1 time/mission Resurrection Signet (I'm not sure if Monks get that Signet, though, I didn't got it)

Mending: For those who don't know, this is kind of a heal aura which makes HP regeneration much faster. You can use it on max 4 targets (3 allies +  yourself or 4 allies). Another must have, my teammates always loved this. Downside: makes energy regeneration 1 arrow slower, with four Mends being activated your energy stops recharging.

Banish: Smites enemies, extra damage to summoned creatures, did not use it, 'cos it casts kinda' slow with low damage output, I never met any summoned creature in this demo, I didn't got the chance to play mission 5, where it might have been more useful

Healing Breeze: Good healing spell with just one target, used to heal myself or allies when things got critical

Later on I aquired:

Pacifism: Makes target enemy unable to attack for 8 seconds, spell breaks if target is attacked. It wasn't really useful during the missions, it can be useful going solo, and I was once the victim of it in PvP.

Heal Party: Sounds good, huh ? Well, it heals a few HPs for everyone in the party but the energy cost is huge, most of the time you can't afford it especially if you Mend. I found Mending to be of much greater help.

Mend Ailment: Nice debuff spell, removes Poison, Disease, Blindness, great against those pesky rangers, and necros image

Mend Injury: Removes Cripple, Bleeding and Deep Wound, nice to have it in PvP, Cripple being potentionally fatal to Monks

So being a Monk means being a support character most of the time, a good Monk is the party's health manager. Of course there are a lot more Skills monks can use, mostly health and damage management related, I didn't get the chance to test them, maybe others will present them.

I chose to be warrior as my second profession, but ranger or any other profession with decent damage output will do, in order to increase your party's offensive power or to go solo.

Being a monk/warrior is a bit risky because it assumes you'll get melee, which might sound as a bad idea without armor. Well, I found that I could take a warrior tank in melee if we both had equally damaging weapons. If he was a monk, too, than the outcome was decided by better tactic.

Against multiple melee or other enemies the monk's chances are low, best tactic is to get the other party's healer/buffer or isolated archers/wizards.

So, as a monk, you must avoid to be cornered by enemies, keep your eyes on your party's health meter, Mend as much as you can afford, heal when somone's health suddenly drops, remove poison, cripple and other detrimental effects, and try to help in fighting already weakened, or isolated enemies. Also if some of your teammates drops, you have to try to get him up again as soon as possible. Other than that, you just have to try to outsmart your opponents as in any other PvP confrontation. image

Dang ... I am already addicted to this game. image

P.S. Thanks for all the great info on Necros, Mesmers, Elementalists, I'll have to try those professions too when the game gets retail.

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

A very wicked combination would be the E/mo (for the "insta-res") 

in most cases:

Let A denote the tuple of (a,b) where a is primary and b is secondary

If Me e A vs (a-caster,b-caster) => Me

if Me e A vs (Warrior/(non-me/nonarcher) => Me

Mesmers are indispensable (almost when it comes to PVP), since you will encounter many monks etc.  (silence)

There is no optimal party, which is a good thing ; ) ( at least I didn't go through all of the possibilities, there being > 10^4

"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say 'ni' at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred."
    MP

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.