Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW, the game I cannot play anymore.

MrVicchioMrVicchio Member Posts: 598
ZOMG another "I quit WoW thread!"

Yep.   So if you are even remotely interested in why someone would not only quit the 8.5 million subscription monster known as WoW, keep reading, and no you may not my stuff.

Let's start at where TBC killed for me, WoW, see if you can relate.

TBC Launched, WOOT, we waited in the icey cold to grab our copies.  That would be my wife and I.  We get it, I hit 70 in about 10 days.  Woot me.     Then reality hit's me like a ton of bricks!   TBC is pretty, TBC has flying mounts!   TBC has some new spells!

And that's it.    That's all the truly "new things" in TBC.

BUT WAIT!  What about Heroic 5 Mans???   What about them?   Lame, I have to grind instances to get a key so I can grind that same instance AGAIN!  But this time, ZOMG it's even HARDER!

Joy. 

Karazhan?  Waste of my time, effort and money.   Maybe one day it will be a 4 hour instance, but I am not going to go through it to get there.   It's just not worth it.  I WANT to see Mt. Hyjal, but I am not going to spend that much time on it.  It's just not worth it.  I haven't logged into WoW in a week, and you know what?

It feels GREAT!!  I have a life!  I get things done, I don't feel like I am missing out because I wasn't grinding some DAMNDABLE instance over and over again.   "ZOMG, I am late logging in!  I have to run Shattard Halls and hope that piece of gear drops and I win roll!"

Nope, instead I got work done around the house, did some writing and watched some movies.   MUCH more enjoyable.

Personally, I cannot wait for WAR to release, because it's going to be the Anti-WoW, it's going to have PvP that means something, Quests that don't require I sign up for, and spend 5 hours grinding.

You guys that love WoW, I ask you one question, is it really worth it?   Is there really a purpose to all that time spent?

Always change your signature.

Comments

• ShiinekoShiineko Member Posts: 161
    I feel the same way.  I just quit and have un-installed WoW as of yesterday.. I didn't make it to 70, but I could clearly see what was ahead, even without reading your post.  Grind, grind, grind grin, tiny ounce of fun, grind grind giangagaghasg!

I get a very empty feeling when I played WoW since I came back when expansion came out.  Blah, I don't feel like typing about this anymore.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    " You guys that love WAR, I ask you one question, is it really worth it?   Is there really a purpose to all that time spent?
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • ASmith84ASmith84 Member Posts: 979
    so you quit wow bc of the amount of time you are spending on it. i agree with you it takes alot of time out of your hands just to accomplish something.  you should play guild wars.  lvl cap is only 20 and what you do in that game actually means something.  there is a story behind it.  plus pvp is the best in this game in my opinion.  it also has a meaning to.  you should also consider age of conan.  i think it will be better than warhammer bc it offers alot more.  you actually build towns and take over outposts and build on them when you have control.  tons of other stuff to do to more than i can type.
  • ApolloKillsApolloKills Member Posts: 1
        Well, you really do have a point. I've been playing WoW since a couple weeks after release... and you NEED to make WoW a lifestyle in order for it to have any meaning to you. I've leveled, quested, raided, maxed out crafting and everything else you can do... but for somebody who has an active lifestyle outside of their computer it can be a daunting task.  Back when I was in highschool and didn't have a job it was easy for WoW to take over... I had TIME. World of Warcraft doesn't require that much skill, it requires LOTS and LOTS of time. Some people can level to 60 (or 70) in like 4-7 days /played time, but that is SOLID PLAYING. WTB time to play that much! I want a game that let's your skill shine through, not so much your time put into the game. I have a life but I love my video games... let me know if this game exists!
  • MrVicchioMrVicchio Member Posts: 598
    Originally posted by grunty

" You guys that love WAR, I ask you one question, is it really worth it?   Is there really a purpose to all that time spent?
    Sure,

Sacking the enemy capitol.  

Much better reason to PvP than to get "honor points" so I can get gear.

Originally posted by ApolloKills

Well, you really do have a point. I've been playing WoW since a couple weeks after release... and you NEED to make WoW a lifestyle in order for it to have any meaning to you. I've leveled, quested, raided, maxed out crafting and everything else you can do... but for somebody who has an active lifestyle outside of their computer it can be a daunting task.  Back when I was in highschool and didn't have a job it was easy for WoW to take over... I had TIME. World of Warcraft doesn't require that much skill, it requires LOTS and LOTS of time. Some people can level to 60 (or 70) in like 4-7 days /played time, but that is SOLID PLAYING. WTB time to play that much! I want a game that let's your skill shine through, not so much your time put into the game. I have a life but I love my video games... let me know if this game exists!
    Man, my wife and I don't even have Cable, we watch a few flicks and TV Shows via DVD (Okay, we are CSI Addicts, and we get that through Netflix).

It's not so much an issue of TIME per say, it's of Time spent... well.

I can spend entire off days online, if I am having fun, but grinding the same CRAP over and over again just for the off chance that not only will my gear item drop, but that I will actually get it...

Nah.   I just can't do it.  I really can't anymore.

• Pjay2kPjay2k Member CommonPosts: 260
    Originally posted by MrVicchio

ZOMG another "I quit WoW thread!"

Yep.   So if you are even remotely interested in why someone would not only quit the 8.5 million subscription monster known as WoW, keep reading, and no you may not my stuff.

Let's start at where TBC killed for me, WoW, see if you can relate.

TBC Launched, WOOT, we waited in the icey cold to grab our copies.  That would be my wife and I.  We get it, I hit 70 in about 10 days.  Woot me.     Then reality hit's me like a ton of bricks!   TBC is pretty, TBC has flying mounts!   TBC has some new spells!

And that's it.    That's all the truly "new things" in TBC.

BUT WAIT!  What about Heroic 5 Mans???   What about them?   Lame, I have to grind instances to get a key so I can grind that same instance AGAIN!  But this time, ZOMG it's even HARDER!

Joy. 

Karazhan?  Waste of my time, effort and money.   Maybe one day it will be a 4 hour instance, but I am not going to go through it to get there.   It's just not worth it.  I WANT to see Mt. Hyjal, but I am not going to spend that much time on it.  It's just not worth it.  I haven't logged into WoW in a week, and you know what?

It feels GREAT!!  I have a life!  I get things done, I don't feel like I am missing out because I wasn't grinding some DAMNDABLE instance over and over again.   "ZOMG, I am late logging in!  I have to run Shattard Halls and hope that piece of gear drops and I win roll!"

Nope, instead I got work done around the house, did some writing and watched some movies.   MUCH more enjoyable.

Personally, I cannot wait for WAR to release, because it's going to be the Anti-WoW, it's going to have PvP that means something, Quests that don't require I sign up for, and spend 5 hours grinding.

You guys that love WoW, I ask you one question, is it really worth it?   Is there really a purpose to all that time spent?

lol this guy talks about reallife as it would be something special...

are you ok? I mean how many hours did you spent in WoW in the last 3 months? I never played World of Warcraft simply because I dont want to end up like you guys :)

I only saw a few screenshots so far and videos of WoW and Im glad I never started to play it...

lots of my friends have lost their relationships, friends and couldnt finish their study because of world of warcraft, which was the number one reason I didnt begin to play it...

the op of this thread really needs to get unplugged, you spent too much time in this game man :)

SOE and NGE-Star Wars Galalaxies:
    Raph Koster: "It's like dumping the girlfriend who has always been patient and loving to chase after the supermodel who probably won't love you back."

Sure,

Much better reason to PvP than to get "honor points" so I can get gear."Nope, instead I got work done around the house, did some writing and watched some movies.   MUCH more enjoyable."

So how is that PVP going to help you get the work around the house done? Or the writing? Or the movies?  Since that's so much more enjoyableto you.

You no longer like WoW.  That's fine.  Other people do.  How is the time you will spend in WAR any different than the time others will spend in WoW?
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • hatu23hatu23 Member Posts: 20
    WoW sucks. we all know.

You couldn't pay me to play. All it is is another cookie-cutter MMORPG and what a surprise, it's fantasy. I don't  quite understand why people play it, there are better game and specifically, there are better MMO's out there. YESSSSS, IT"S TRUE!!!

But beyond all that. There's nothing special in WoW or in TBC. It's a waste of money and a waste of hard drive space. Oh, did I mention a waste of time? WAR is my anti-WoW Drug and it's going to rape WoW.

I love blizzard. I hate WoW. The content blows, the storyline blows, the gameplay blows. The only good about it is the dancing videos on youtube and even those have gotten old. Have fun WoW players. I'll use the next few months preparing for WAR and having a life.
  • bonobotheorybonobotheory Member UncommonPosts: 1,007
    I feel the same way, and I just cancelled my account. This is the second time I've cancelled. The first time was over a  year ago, for much the same reason. I picked up the game again last month, hoping the expansion would add some new life into it, but it just added more of the same. The community isn't any better than it used to be, either. On my main server, it's even worse.

I realized I just wasn't having any fun. The good part always seems to be "just around the corner." It will be more fun when I level and get new skills. It will be more fun when I hit 40 and get a mount. It will be more fun when I hit 70 and join an uber-leet raid guild. The game is never just fun to play in the here and now.

I think I'm going to reopen my City of Heroes account.  It's a very casual game, and it's only fun for a few hours at a time. But in that short time, I can actually play the game, instead of grinding out crap so I can try to play the game later. And honestly, I don't want to play a game for more than a couple of hours a night. I have better things to do.
  • KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787
    The thing is that Blizzard killed the main motivation track for its hardcore players with TBC: gear progression.  The whole game is built around gear progression, and people grinded instances and raids pre-TBC to get the chance for (what was at the time) permanently superior gear.  By leveling the playing field with the new "green" TBC gear, Blizzard sapped substantially the motivation for people to do that exercise again with the new TBC material and, if that weren't already disincentive enough, added to the nature of the grind by including a ton of hellacious keying instance grinds.  So Blizzard at the same time (1) made the grind steeper and (2) took away the relative reward for the grind -- both because the "delta" between raid and non-raid gear, endgame, is a lot smaller than it was pre-TBC, and the reality that the players know that this gear will be promptly obsoleted (likely) in the future at some point. 

Given that reality, it's no surprise at all that many people are leaving WoW and not playing the TBC endgame the way they did the pre-TBC endgame.  The incentives aren't the same as they were before, nor are the relative rewards.  The players see that, and are moving on.  My guess is that Blizzard knew this would happen and is banking that the casual-friendly changes they made in TBC, while they may cost some subs for harder-core players, will retain casual players better, and believes that since there are more casual WoW players than hardcore ones, this is better financially for the game --- but who knows.  Certainly it appears from where I am sitting that Blizzard overshot in this case.
  • tylerwicktylerwick Member Posts: 446

One simple solution... switch to casual gaming, dont let high end loot and time wear you down. 

I have very little time to get into any game because of kids and work.  I get on Teamspeak with my buddies at night for a couple hours a night, not even everynight. We game and shoot the Breeze.    The problem here is people are letting a game run their life,   so what if you didnt finish that quest this time around or get that drop this run,  relax its just a game, there will be plenty of time another day.    Is there really a good reason to rush? have fun.  Dont make a game make you feel like you have to work, if you are the point where you are "working" than take a few mins to think about what your doing now and what you "could" be doing now that would be much more fun/relaxing.

I dont know about you but after a long day of running around and working Id rather just relax and not worry about anything.

Sure,

Much better reason to PvP than to get "honor points" so I can get gear."Nope, instead I got work done around the house, did some writing and watched some movies.   MUCH more enjoyable."

So how is that PVP going to help you get the work around the house done? Or the writing? Or the movies?  Since that's so much more enjoyableto you.

You no longer like WoW.  That's fine.  Other people do.  How is the time you will spend in WAR any different than the time others will spend in WoW? Okay you MISSED the point obviously about the "Real Life" stuff being more enjoyable then WoW.  Let me explain it to you on a less subtle, and more direct way.

Playing WoW became such a CHORE that doing HOUSEWORK became fun. 

Get it?

That watching a MOVIE, something that requires sitting there doing very little, a non-interactive experience became MORE fun then doing an interactive event.

Get it?

WAR has no gear grind to greatness built into it, I won't have to grind my arse off for great gear so I can grind my arse off for better gear.

WAR has an end game that is dynamic, that has a purpose.  I love to PvP if there is a reason to PvP.  Look what happened to the Grand Marshal's of WoW. All that time spent, invested only to have it nullified, and nullified badly. 

I want an end game that changes, that has meaning, that can be fun.  If you could PvP and take say Ogrimarr, or Stormwind, I mean no kidding sack the city and smash it.... I would STILL be playing WoW.   But you can't.  There is no War in Warcraft.  Name's a misnomer.  It's World of Geargrind.

Sure,

You no longer like WoW.  That's fine.  Other people do.  How is the time you will spend in WAR any different than the time others will spend in WoW? Okay you MISSED the point obviously about the "Real Life" stuff being more enjoyable then WoW.  Let me explain it to you on a less subtle, and more direct way.

Playing WoW became such a CHORE that doing HOUSEWORK became fun. 

Get it?

That watching a MOVIE, something that requires sitting there doing very little, a non-interactive experience became MORE fun then doing an interactive event.

Get it?

WAR has no gear grind to greatness built into it, I won't have to grind my arse off for great gear so I can grind my arse off for better gear.

WAR has an end game that is dynamic, that has a purpose.  I love to PvP if there is a reason to PvP.  Look what happened to the Grand Marshal's of WoW. All that time spent, invested only to have it nullified, and nullified badly. 

I want an end game that changes, that has meaning, that can be fun.  If you could PvP and take say Ogrimarr, or Stormwind, I mean no kidding sack the city and smash it.... I would STILL be playing WoW.   But you can't.  There is no War in Warcraft.  Name's a misnomer.  It's World of Geargrind.

Ok.

I'll put the question here all by itself.

How is the time you will spend in WAR any different than the time others will spend in WoW?
    It won't per say be different. I will be playing a game, taking up my time, doing things other than chores.

The difference, as far as I can see...

It'll be a hell'va lot more enjoyable.

Here, read these and tell me your thoughts on WAR:

http://www.only-war.com/Editorials/WAReditorial1.html

http://www.only-war.com/Editorials/WAReditorial2.html

http://www.only-war.com/Editorials/WAReditorial3.html

That right there, sounds like FUN, real no kidding FUN.

• AkeysAkeys Member Posts: 50

I bought the expansion grinded to level 67 in Nagrand and then one day I logged in looked around the landscape and thought "damn this is just the Barrens with some funny moons in the sky" Then I looked in my quest log and saw kill 30 "birds"; 30 "deer" 30 elephants"  and thought this is just crap.

Took me 117 days of play time but quitting was the best thing I have done. Sold my account for US$550.00 and have never looked back. Early Wow days was great but the alst year was just continually raiding for purplez. No sieges, no political structure, no impact on environment. Meaningless....

I will now not play any MMORPG that does not have a risk/reward for death. I want PVP looting and a complex craft system. I want old UO.

As of yesterday I purchased Roma Victor.  I hope it delivers.

''98-''99 UO (Golden days!)
    ''00-''02 CS; SB beta
    ''03-''04 MODO
    ''04-''07 WoW
    ''07 - SB
    Waiting for Darkfall and PoBS

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

Ok.

I'll put the question here all by itself.

How is the time you will spend in WAR any different than the time others will spend in WoW?

I think what he is saying is that he is more willing to spend time in the game if he sees objectives and meaning, rather than simply grinding.  That's a fair comment to make, I think, in light of the way Blizzard has set up the endgame for WoW.  TBC has made that situation worse, not better, really.

Now I am also looking forward to WAR, but I have no idea whether Mythic will come through with what some of us are expecting, and frankly we'll have to wait and see.  But the endless endgame grinding model of WoW was problematic enough pre-TBC --- with the TBC changes, it's become even more problematic, so it's not surprising that more and more people are drawing the same conclusion that the OP has.  I've seen it in the guilds I belong to in WoW: we had great participation in January with the release of TBC, continued strong through mid-February and then, but by bit, one by one, people have been playing less and less and then, one by one, not at all any more.
  • tylerwicktylerwick Member Posts: 446
    Its funny you mentions OLD UO.   I actually tried the new versions of it and it is just crap.   I played UO at the beginning and it was great, if you find a game that feels that way gimmie a hollar.  I dont mind leaving town after buying my new Platmail of Invulnerability and getting PKd and loosing it right away lol.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I saw TBC for what is was before I bought it.... I came out way ahead as the expansion has played out exactly as I expected it would..(and wanted no part of)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

And my point has been the following.  Just because you no longer find purpose in WoW does not mean that others are wasting their time doing something that you used to enjoy.  We all find different thing to like or dislike.  Sometime those opinions change but that does not mean that they change for everyone else.

I inferred from the last paragraph in your original post that you were implying that people who continued to play WoW, after you decided to quit, were somehow no longer playing with a purpose.

Enjoy your time in WAR the same way you enjoyed WoW.

And my point has been the following.  Just because you no longer find purpose in WoW does not mean that others are wasting their time doing something that you used to enjoy.  We all find different thing to like or dislike.  Sometime those opinions change but that does not mean that they change for everyone else.

I inferred from the last paragraph in your original post that you were implying that people who continued to play WoW, after you decided to quit, were somehow no longer playing with a purpose.

Enjoy your time in WAR the same way you enjoyed WoW.
    No, I merely stated my opinion of what and why of WoW and asked a relevant question to those who are and will keep playing.  It was that exact question that really made me stop playing WoW.  If you continue to play WoW more power to you.  I personally reached the breaking point.    Burn out is common in ANY game, you can only play so long, and I am sure that point will come with WAR at some point.  Eventually...

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    I canceled my account last week as I found TBC more of the same level grind with what looked to be a gear grind at lvl70. I got tired of killing different orcs, pigs or whatever else the quest required. I agree with the OP. After 2 years I wanted to do some RL stuff, even if it's just housework so I'm taking a break from MMOs, I probably won't even play WAR and wait until SG Worlds or maybe Fallen Earth as I've lost interest in fantasy MMOs... but I may get withdrawal by the time WAR is released and just have to try it.
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

Sure,

Much better reason to PvP than to get "honor points" so I can get gear.  I would love to Sack completely Ironforge or Stormwind. Too bad I dont play WOW anymore. Ill wait on WAR.. Where I really can sack a Capitol and get L33+ L3//+s for doing IT!
    Amazingly, I posted this exact thread on the WoW Forums, and it got deleted after hitting like 4 pages, some agreement, some "can I have your stuff" lameness.

• nimativitlumnimativitlum Member Posts: 48
    one things for sure, all of the people that quited from w0w will come back again sooner or later..i've heard this issues over thousand times i think and all of them are complaining about his and that..but we cant blame them of what do they feel, they just wanted to have some new things that will truly trigger their self to play w0w...i think all they need is some space and time in playing and IRL..but i assure you those guys that left will soon come back