Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Character Customization

In my opinion, character customization is one of the more important features in a MMORPG.  There's nothing I hate more than buying a game and finding out that I am going to look exactly like every other Tom, Dick, and Harry.

I was wondering if any of you have heard how extensive the character customization is going to be in AoC.  Will it be as fantastic as CoH/V?   Or, will it be another game that makes it look like you're looking in a mirror, or thousands of mirrors, the moment you get done "customizing" your character?

Comments

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857
    AoC is looking like it just might have the most indepth to start customization available in any MMORPG.

It is easily on par with HOC/V, but it is a little hard to directly compare the two. AoC's customization is focused on your character itself as opposed to his costume, there are only so many fashion statements you can make with a dirty galley slave's loincloth, your beginning attire.

More than 40 sliders are available to tweak your face alone, and you can adjust nearly everything from calf muscle size and shape to how big your arse is. You can also add scars, tatoos, etc.

Now, not much is known on customization involving equipment at this time.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• jerstenjersten Member Posts: 21

That's great!!   I haven't visited the official sight or anything yet, but I was wondering if you knew how many different races, classes/professions there are? 

If anyone has any more info, I'd appreciate it. 

It would be nice if there was finally a game that has great customization along with a more choices in class/profession etc...  There's nothing I hate more than buying a game and after seeing that I'm the same as everyong else, shelving it.

3 Races, each a different variety of human, no faefolk here I'm afraid.

4 archetypes chosen at level 5

At least 3 Classes branching from each archetype, 14 in total, chosen at level 20

Note: Level 20 is the end of the noob isle training zone. Additional note: Some restrictions apply between what each race can become, a Cimmerian cannot for example be a mage of any kind, these restrictions were applied in order to fit in with the lore of Hyboria. Each race has about 8-10 possible classes available to it.

4 prestige classes chosen at level 40 that are independant of previous race/class choices

2 different class specialties branching from each class choice, chosen at level 60

Various elder feats chosen at level 80 (max level), no information on just how many

On top of this, AoC is using a level/skill hybrid system. That is to say, every level you earn a number of points, these points can be invested in whatever skills, attributes, feats that you wish. You will not be able to experience all, or for that matter even most of the possible paths available in this regard, so your choices should be considered carefully. A good look at Anarchy online's system would provide some insight into what I'm talking about.

All in all, it will be VERY difficult to find two higher level characters exactly alike. I'd rate John Kerry's chances at ever becoming president to be only slightly lower than the odds of finding the former without preplanning In other words, never in a million years.

There are five different tradeskill professions. Your prestige class choice at level 40 determines which of these you can follow, each of the four unlocks at least one of them in addition to other bonuses, and the Crafter prestige class has access to all of them.

Edit: Just so you know, I happen to have a thread over on the official AoC forums dedicated to answering questions like this. Its located HERE  Feel free to drop by. My username over there is Heronblade

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• Zyzx-ManZyzx-Man Member Posts: 50
    Originally posted by jersten

In my opinion, character customization is one of the more important features in a MMORPG.  There's nothing I hate more than buying a game and finding out that I am going to look exactly like every other Tom, Dick, and Harry.
    I was wondering if any of you have heard how extensive the character customization is going to be in AoC.  Will it be as fantastic as CoH/V?   Or, will it be another game that makes it look like you're looking in a mirror, or thousands of mirrors, the moment you get done "customizing" your character?

Im with you there, It annoys me as well that a RPG designed to have thousands of players has so little in th form of customization [they clam it takes to much time]

but if what was stated above is true it looks like it wont be a problem, of coarse now we have to worry about making our characters perfect.

Moo

• SturmrabeSturmrabe Member Posts: 927
    Originally posted by jersten

That's great!!   I haven't visited the official sight or anything yet,

Thats your problem right there, there is a LOT if misinformation about AoC, you just got lucky with who has been replying to you...

Get your butt to http://ageofconan.com and watch the movies, read the interviews, and look at the screenshots...

Want to know what the devs are saying about it?

http://bymitra.com is a dev post search engine

imageimage
    Of all that is written, I love only what a person has written with his own blood. -Nietzsche

• hedgewanhedgewan Member Posts: 64
    Oh heck, you had to make this political didn't you? Bush admin altered the votes, Kerry did win really. Not that I was for either one. I voted for Leonard Peltier.

Anyway......

I knew funcom could do it, i've long played Anarchy Online, great game, glad to see my time there will not have been wasted in getting used to this game.
  • olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356
    Originally posted by hedgewan

Oh heck, you had to make this political didn't you? Bush admin altered the votes, Kerry did win really. Not that I was for either one. I voted for Leonard Peltier.

Anyway......

I knew funcom could do it, i've long played Anarchy Online, great game, glad to see my time there will not have been wasted in getting used to this game.

Age of Conan will be released about the time the Governor of California wins the Republican Presidental nomination. Just a cheap political gimmick to show off his abs and muscle, he knows Hilary can't show anything in response.

Originally posted by hedgewan

I was more talking about the way the general public views him these days than his previous race, his actions recently have made the general public quite unlikely to trust in him any further, which in turn cuts off quite dramatically his chances for being nominated by his party at all. Oh, and please quit it with the vote cheating conspiracy theories, you're embarrasing yourself.

Hemingway

• hedgewanhedgewan Member Posts: 64
    There are many people who believe, and who want bush impeached, for many reasons, not just this one.

This is hardly the place to discuss it though, arguing about politics on an open internet forum for me is kind of like hitting my head against a wall over and over. And I do not want it to interfere with my looking into this AoC.

EDIT: waitaminute, abs and muscle? oh thats long gone. The man who designs his suck-in underwear is a very rich man.
  • Zyzx-ManZyzx-Man Member Posts: 50
    ...? well anyway

I have a char. customization based queastion.

how different are the playable race's looks, compaired to each other? or what do they look like in real world terms?

Moo

Originally posted by Zyzx-Man

...? well anyway I have a char. customization based queastion. how different are the playable race's looks, compaired to each other? or what do they look like in real world terms?
    Cimmerians are big, burly, lightskinned, and tough, king Conan came from these people.

Aquilonians are more... regal for lack of a better term. Think of whatever images you may conjure concerning the Romans and their populace and you shouldn't be too far off.

Stygians tend to be fairly small compared to the other two, darkskinned, and lithe. Conan's nemesis, Thoth Amon, hails from these lands.

Hemingway

• legoklegok Member Posts: 49
    Speaking of cuztom, i read about the mmm dunno how they call em, the other classes u can choose, crafting, master, then the others two that allow city build and battle formations hehe forgot the names =).

So i was wondering how will the Master thign work, i knwo ull have an npc by ur side, but thats all i found, do u knwo how will it work? i guess its probably going to be a sub-me, meaning he will have some of my skills or all of em but not as effective (strong), and by skills i mean fighting skills or i am all wrong on this one?
    Originally posted by legok

Speaking of cuztom, i read about the mmm dunno how they call em, the other classes u can choose, crafting, master, then the others two that allow city build and battle formations hehe forgot the names =). So i was wondering how will the Master thign work, i knwo ull have an npc by ur side, but thats all i found, do u knwo how will it work? i guess its probably going to be a sub-me, meaning he will have some of my skills or all of em but not as effective (strong), and by skills i mean fighting skills or i am all wrong on this one?
    All wrong I'm afraid.

The master prestige class grants you a follower, but he is nearly useless in combat, although under the right circumstances he might give you a slight edge...

What your follower is good for, is the gathering of resources for yourself and your guild. What is particularly nice about him is that you can get him to mine, cut wood, etc. even while you are logged out.

Hemingway

• legoklegok Member Posts: 49
    Thank you for the answer Aelfin (sp?) thats intresting very intrestign actually, cuz i was kidna afraid it would become pointless read useless "skill" after a few months from realese if it was like a combat pet, due to players been greatly better at pvp and what not.

However thats not the case, and u say its more like a harvesting pet :P, sounds cool we'll have to wait an see how it works in reality, i mean if its effective at it, compared to the other "skills" u can choose, to see if its worth it =). Thank you again
  • nexus42nexus42 Member Posts: 288
    Anybody got any links to the character creation screens?

...Pika