Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestions on MMO to play?

Hello all. I'm currently looking around for something new to play. The only MMO I'm playing currently is MxO, and I play it casually just for the PvP and live events. I've tried EQ2, WoW, Vanguard, Guild Wars, Auto Assault, FFXI, PSU, Planetside, SWG, and EVE. WoW and Vanguard were by far the most boring, FFXI and PSU were too grind focused, EVE might be fun if I wanna wait 5 years to learn a skill, SWG was too cheesey (Chewbacca came to save me and I knew this game was NOT for me), Guild Wars was TOO focused on PvP, and Auto Assault, while fun, was a ghost town.

With these experiences in mind, are there any suggestions anyone has for me? I'm an old school D&D nerd, I'd love a good fantasy game, but every one I find is the same damn thing. Also, I don't care about graphics. I just want something immersive and fun that has a bit of a challenge to it. Can anyone help this nerd out or am I gonna have to give up on the MMOs of today?

Comments

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Just hold out for the new ones coming out. Thats my two cents.

• adbaradbar Member Posts: 9
    Unfortunately I think you're right. From what I've read on the site, Fallen Earth is in the #1 spot on my waiting list. I gotta admit I got a hard-on for post-apocalyptic settings, probably the reason why I enjoyed Auto Assault a decent amount. If they ever announce a Fallout MMO, I will crap myself and plan a week of vacation from work during the first week of its release.
    I'm waiting on AoC at the moment. However if they released a Fallout MMORPG I would be all over that like white on rice.
  • AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

City of Heroes/Villains.

- FAST gameplay, yet still a rpg (don't really need these reflexes).  If you click an attack, you character will automatically select the closest opponent if none are selected and auto-turn to face him, so if you're close enought, the attack goes.  If you already have an opponent selected, the character auto-turn and accomplish any attack when you click on them.  You have an auto-assist also, you click on someone name in group, if you try to attack him, you actually assist him.

- Simple, yet hard to master.  Everyone understand how leveling up work at first glance, this is intuitive.  Yet, few master it.

- Best characters customisations (look) among any MMO released, no competitor is even remotedly close.

- Awesome character customisation (powers/slotting), explaining that would take a message alone, go read my post in CoV/CoH regarding this aspect if you want to know more.

- Solo friendly, best grouping experience.  This is right, weirdo are free to solo from level 1 to the end and never group, and they are happy.  However, the game is best played grouped and groupers are in heaven.  Group-focus doesn't have to be made at the expanse of solo.  Results:  Unfriendly players are not grouping, which enhance greatly your grouping experience...since everyone grouped, want to.

- Endgames paths (I9, next expansion):  You can take a group that last between 45 minutes to 5 hours (depending on how efficient/casuals the group is, expect the first time to be close to 5 hours if everyone is noob at it).  Or you can raid, or you can just solo for incredible amount of times.  So basically, you have the choice to solo a LOT, to face the ultimate group challenge, or to raid.  You don't have to specifically pick any, but you are free to pick whichever you want.

- Travel powers + metro.  ROFL at any MMO trying to compete, they are just left behind.  On this topic, CoH/V is a F1, and the competitor are racing them on foots, on a f1-racing track.  This is sooo funny to read peoples talking about their mounts or whatever nonsense...in CoH you run faster than most of these mounts (and jump higher as well)...and you still can take REAL travel powers to go fast, super speed, super jump, fly and teleports, all great way to travel.

- Full vertical movements.

- Instancing as often as you want, yet the world is there to explore and adventure...of course, with the best travel powers, you can just bypass the exploration if it isn't your thing...yet lot of stuff to explore, firebase Zulu in particuliar.

- You character progress and become stronger with levels.  See, in most MMO, at level 1 you are strong than ever, you can take more stuff.  For example, in EQ, at level 1 you can take 3 red cons, at level 75 in EQ, I am not even sure you can take 1 green con.  ROFL.  In CoH/V, at level 1 you can take 2 minions level 1 roughtly...at level 50 in CoH, you can take 10 minions, 3 lieutenants, 1 boss and 1 elite bosse all level 52.  You are getting stronger.  You evolve (aka, not devolve into a planar larva as I like to call EQ toons).

- Community.  Happy players make great community, period.

- Storylines, these are great if you want to read them.  I read them when I am soloing, but if I am grouped, I just do the mishs without reading them.  Very talented writters IMO.

- When you "arrest/kill" stuff, they fall in 0457204874 positions, the corpses lying around are different everytime!

I can goes on, but bottom line, CoH/CoV is between 5 and 10 years ahead of the competitors, design-wise.  No artificial downtime, thereby the many complains of peoples finding it to be "shallow", it isn't shallow, it just don't put artificial downtimes.  Enjoy the game for what it is, the best MMO on the market.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Lord of the Rings Online would be my suggestion if you want to try a pretty solid MMO which focuses more on gaining XP from quests than grinding.  It's a pretty decent game but by no means 'Next Gen'.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

I've heard good things about Cov/CoH, I'll look into it. I'll probably try LotRo at least once as well.

Thinking about a Fallout MMO made me do a google, came across this:

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1057232/000117091806001092/presentation.htm

Its a long shot, considering Interplay's financial situation, but we'll see in 2010-2011. I'll set aside some fresh pants for that period just in case.

• sekrogsekrog Member Posts: 261
    Originally posted by adbar

Unfortunately I think you're right. From what I've read on the site, Fallen Earth is in the #1 spot on my waiting list. I gotta admit I got a hard-on for post-apocalyptic settings, probably the reason why I enjoyed Auto Assault a decent amount. If they ever announce a Fallout MMO, I will crap myself and plan a week of vacation from work during the first week of its release.

I'm with ya on the whole post-apocolyptic thing adbar!  Don't ya think it's somewhat ironic though, that fans of that genre quit a game like Auto Assault because of the low population?  Isn't that what happens in an apocolypse?  If there was still a bunch of people around, wouldn't we just call it a "disaster" or an "epidemic"?

This might catch your interest though:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3155842

I know all the b.s that usually comes with articles like this...and I also know they announced an investor providing $20M exactly ONE day before they were to file Bankrupcy (although it looks as though the BK procedures were only postponed until May).  There might be hope yet, although I wouldn't keep my fingers crossed.

Interesting...
  • gillvane1gillvane1 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,503
    I don't see how  you can go wrong with City of Heroes. That game is worth it just for the character creation. If you don't do anything but play a few alts for a few months you'll get your money's worth. There is no real "end game" so you just play as long as you're having fun doing the missions and making toons, then quit.
  • rsrockerrsrocker Member Posts: 6
    i would say rs if u want a good mmo

i am a perfectly normal person...unless u count the fact i plan to rule the world!mwahahaha!><>><>><>><>><>

wtf is fallout?

i am a perfectly normal person...unless u count the fact i plan to rule the world!mwahahaha!><>><>><>><>><>

• NadrilNadril Member Posts: 1,276
    Originally posted by rsrocker

wtf is fallout?

Oh dear god....

go ahead and DIAF now and save us a lot of trouble please.

wtf is fallout?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_(computer_game)

Now go play the games. Immediately. They're so awesome you'll explode if you don't.

• AnubizAnubiz Member Posts: 16

Well if i were you i would wait for some of the great games that is coming out this year

Lord of the rings: online. Coming out next month, I've read about it and it looks like it's going to be a really nice game.

Warhammer online, from what i've read about it its going to be a really good game tho its pretty long time untill the realse.

Age of conan, Also looks like its going to be a really nice game but same as WAR pretty long time untill realse.

Those are the games i will be waiting for this year mostly for Lotro and AoC but if you really cant wait to play a mmo game then you should try some of the free games that is out there all of em cant be that bad  i think that rapplez is a pretty good game and also Last chaos which i did try but it did lag like hell for me so i only played for 1 hour or so ain't sure if its my computer that is bad or the game.

GL finding a nice mmo hope some of the games i recommended will help ya out

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Nadril

wtf is fallout?

Oh dear god....

We don't need any Runescape rejects in the Fallout world.  Even if it  is single player.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    Originally posted by adbar

wtf is fallout?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_(computer_game)

Now go play the games. Immediately. They're so awesome you'll explode if you don't.

i tried.....i couldnt find any wway to get to it.....so some1 jus tell me wtf fallout is?

Originally posted by grunty

Originally posted by Nadril

wtf is fallout?

Oh dear god....

We don't need any Runescape rejects in the Fallout world.  Even if it  is single player.

ur just a big jerk!!!!!!!!!!i havew half a mind to find u an kick ur ass!