Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Going to give this game a shot

NadrilNadril Member Posts: 1,276
So,  bit of backstory. I've been hopping MMO's a bit recently. I used to play Lineage II (on private servers, yeah I know) and I have done it on retail as well for a bit.

Well, after a sprint with Anarchy Online I decided to give WoW a shot with some friends. Ended up having fun for a few months but just got sick of the way PvP was and had no interest to raid.

To cut a long story short, I quit the game today and shadowbane caught my eye. I've wanted to try it before but was always worried that the community would be small or it would be canceled soon. After hearing the advertisement deal it seems that they are going to be getting some more life into this game.

So, I've heard mourning and wrath are the largest servers. For anyone who has played this and Anarchy Online (I played on RK2, was a paying member) how is the population numbers between the two? I.E which has more?

Finaly, I'm looking foward to the PvP in this game a lot. Is it a bit more fast paced such as Lineage II is? ;D

Comments

• joeybootsjoeyboots Member UncommonPosts: 628
    Mourning is from what i hear the most populated. it is not as fast paced as Lineage 2 but it is not slow either, and large guild battles can get very hectic . The pvp is unequaled. Your guild can actually destroy/takeover other guilds cities, and run them. The guild leader can control taxes and building things like shops and such, and everyone in the guild has a rank and job to do depending on their chosen profession (not class). Sieges aren't just a bunch of dues fighting on a battleground, one army actually sieges another's citiies with siege equipment, and the cities can actually be leveled/destroyed. If large-scale pvp, political intrigue, land conquest, and a ruthless unpredictable gameworld are your cup of tea, then I hope to see you in game.
  • NadrilNadril Member Posts: 1,276
    Originally posted by joeyboots

Mourning is from what i hear the most populated. it is not as fast paced as Lineage 2 but it is not slow either, and large guild battles can get very hectic . The pvp is unequaled. Your guild can actually destroy/takeover other guilds cities, and run them. The guild leader can control taxes and building things like shops and such, and everyone in the guild has a rank and job to do depending on their chosen profession (not class). Sieges aren't just a bunch of dues fighting on a battleground, one army actually sieges another's citiies with siege equipment, and the cities can actually be leveled/destroyed. If large-scale pvp, political intrigue, land conquest, and a ruthless unpredictable gameworld are your cup of tea, then I hope to see you in game.

That is exactly what I want :). Sounds like it is going to be a good game to play until Age of Conan comes out.

Now I need to think of what kind of class to play. So many choices, any really "gimp" classes I should stay clear of? (its always my luck I pick the gimp lol).

Alright.. so I started to try and play it today.

Man, the controls really have agrivated the HELL out of me. Who the hell put in that camera anyways? Plus I hate how I can't map the controls what I want (I.E left click to move and not right and right for camera).

Pretty much the controls have made me lose faith right now to try and play further. Its agriviating as hell.

edit: I'm going to keep on trying it, maybe map some keys and stuff.
    Just a small update:

Been playing a bit more and I'm much more used to the controls. I set the camera to my WSAD and its a good bit smoother.

I'm level 6 now and enjoying it, looking foward to end game though really.
  • LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591
    Originally posted by Nadril

Man, the controls really have agrivated the HELL out of me. Who the hell put in that camera anyways? Plus I hate how I can't map the controls what I want (I.E left click to move and not right and right for camera).

Pretty much the controls have made me lose faith right now to try and play further. Its agriviating as hell.

I agree 100% the controls are the worst of any game I have ever played , I tried to play & like it for 4-5 hours  but in the end  all that made me happy with this game was seeing it being deleted of my system ...
    Originally posted by Lukain

I agree 100% the controls are the worst of any game I have ever played , I tried to play & like it for 4-5 hours  but in the end  all that made me happy with this game was seeing it being deleted of my system ...

heh, selective reading.

I agree controls aren't the best but I"m more used to them now.
  • Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409

just imagine what its like for people that played SB as their first MMO to adjust to other games lol.  You can adjust to SB to the point that you dont notice the control factor-  personally I use the veteran UI avialible from the main SB site, downloads section-  but that could be even worse for newbies than the default nowdays... its damn sure less ugly.

Originally posted by Jerek_

just imagine what its like for people that played SB as their first MMO to adjust to other games lol.  You can adjust to SB to the point that you dont notice the control factor-  personally I use the veteran UI avialible from the main SB site, downloads section-  but that could be even worse for newbies than the default nowdays... its damn sure less ugly.

Yeah. It is hard coming from WoW (probaly the smoothest contrtols I've played in an MMO) to this :P.

As well, I started a minitaur(sp?) warrior that I plan on making into a barbarian.

• When do the servers come down?
  • EpeenEpeen Member UncommonPosts: 95

Originally posted by Jerek_

Yeah. It is hard coming from WoW (probaly the smoothest contrtols I've played in an MMO) to this :P.

As well, I started a minitaur(sp?) warrior that I plan on making into a barbarian.

Nadril, it is CRUCIAL that you find a good guild fast.  If you are playing on mourning you should check out dragonscale if not, search on the sb forums.  Having a guild  puts you into the GAME, without it you will be lost. I also reccomedn you watch the video on youtube about the SB interface and how to make a really clean looking one. Ive  been playing this game for 2 months and am really enjoying becuase of my guild and knowing the builds and such. Expect to make a lot of characters becuase this game is all about pvp builds, characters level fast . Ive made 4 max characters   in my game time.