Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 weeks and done

imasigimasig Member Posts: 149
Well this game has great potential but I'm out until at least city of villians.  Right now I feel this is a game for beginners of mmo's.  This game could have been done on X-box live.  Pretty much a console game.  The no pvp, no economy, no items, and only missions burnt me out after about 2 weeks of playing.  Back to AO and EVE.

Comments

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    I have the same opinion as you, only difference i have no other game to play... image

• creesballcreesball Member Posts: 7

This is my story:
    1) Bought the game.
    2) So exited I was running red lights to get home and play it
    3) Kicked my front door down
    4) Ripped the cellophane of the box
    5) Powered computer up
    6) Drooled all over the game cd
    7) Whipped the drool off the cd
    8) Opened cdrom tray
    9) Installed the game
    10) Created and ubar looking scrapper that wore a black Gucci suit
    11) Got to level 5 and loved it
    12) Got to level 10 and thought it was awesome
    13) Hit level 15 and started to get a little bored
    14) I’m level 18 now and im in two thought about whether or not to keep playing
    15) Subscription cancelled
    16) Read through the boards on mmorpg.com

Ok, this is only my opinion but I felt that the game was amazing at start a damn good weeks worth of fun and excitement but after that it really starts to get boring.
    I’m sooooo ticked off as I really though this game would bring back the online fun I had with my first mmorpg. Ahhhhh the good old days

• iberamiberam Member Posts: 20
    I am still happy with the game but i do see a few potential problems w/ it where people could get bored.  Really the only thing you can do right now is missions........finish those missions and do more missions.........then find the right store and by enhancements and crap.  There needs to be a loot system............there needs to be a crafting system...........there needs to be consentual pvp...........there nedds to be alot because when the graphics get old and the questing system get old then this game will be dead if something is not done a/b it

• reddog000reddog000 Member UncommonPosts: 121

Originally posted by iberam
    I am still happy with the game but i do see a few potential problems w/ it where people could get bored.  Really the only thing you can do right now is missions........finish those missions and do more missions.........then find the right store and by enhancements and crap.  There needs to be a loot system............there needs to be a crafting system...........there needs to be consentual pvp...........there nedds to be alot because when the graphics get old and the questing system get old then this game will be dead if something is not done a/b it

Well iberam kudos to you because you are one of the few that understand how shallow this game is.  Great game it is.....but only for a week.  Too bad :(

-------------------------------------------
    Control is an illusion!

• pabloexpabloex Member Posts: 39

Shallow in comparison to what?

A MMORPG does not have to have loot and/or crafting for it to be a good game. Rather, some people need loot and/or crafting for them to have fun. IMO, people should more accurately gauge a game on its fun factor based on what they want in a game. There are many people that see CoH being exactly what they want. After all, if you want a luxury car, you don't go buy a motorcycle and expect to get the same satisfaction do you?

CoH, for a game that has been at retail release for 2 weeks has a stable platform and a heck of a lot more content than just about any other MMOG when they were 2 weeks old. CoH won't appeal to everyone and not all MMOGs are the same type of games. You don't play Planetside for loot or RP, you don't play DAoC for RP, you don't play Horizons for PvP.

CoH has captured the essence of comic superheroes in a game. You never saw Superman looting corpses. You never saw The Hulk crafting and peddling his wares in town. Those are fantasy conventions and CoH is an entirely different genre. Instead of trying to remake EQ in CoH, perhaps you should evaluate CoH for what it is. And in the end, it just may not be the game for you.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by reddog00 
    kudos to you because you are one of the few that understand how shallow this game is. 

One of the few to understand how shallow this game is?

If the majority finds the game not to be shallow then chances are it isnt very shallow until the majority thinks otherwise.  If you dont like the game you really shouldnt play it.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• imasigimasig Member Posts: 149

Originally posted by pabloex

Shallow in comparison to what?

Games that have had more content than COH upon release.  (Only the ones I've played):

Anarchy Online

EVE

Saga of Ryzom

Diablo 2

UO

AO and UO had absolutely horrible releases. The games were so bug and lag infested that they were unplayable for several weeks after release. Also, the lag in both games resulted in numerous duplication exploits which ultimately created an economic imbalance that took both titles years to overcome. Neither UO or AO had any story or plot to them for a while after their release. It took UO more than a year before they finally had any kind of an event. AO's first event happened just before Halloween and it had been released at the end of April, so 1/2 a year. These games did have loot, although much of it was unusable but loot is not the same thing as content.

Diablo2 was not a MMORPG, so the games don't compare.

Eve was incredibly beautiful but completely without depth until the patch at the end of last November. They had a remarkable market interface that was easily manipulated because of artificial NPC demand. But there was little to do in Eve except mine or gank (PvP). The PvP was basically pointless gate camping. There were fragements of story around the Amarr but that was it. It took them 8-9 months before they started putting anything substantial into the game. Again, there was loot but again much of it was recycled or sold to NPCs and had no real impact on the game.

Saga of Ryzom I have not played but I was under the impression that it wasn't released yet. So again that wouldn't qualify either.

The problem is that people tend to compare what they had been playing, usually a MMOG that has been in place for months/years to a new title and get quickly disappointed. UO has 7 years of content in it now and 3-4 expansions. AO has 3 years of content, 1 expansion and they are about to have a second.

The only game that has had as stable a release as CoH has been DAOC which was drastically devoid of content in two of its three realms. The Asheron's Call release would be not too far behind on stability and reasonable in comparison to content to DAOC. CoH has story and plotlines, the same thing a comic book would have. If you aren't into that and would rather have loot, then CoH is simply not the game for you. But that does not mean that it is shallow.

Originally posted by En1Gma

Originally posted by reddog00 
    kudos to you because you are one of the few that understand how shallow this game is. 

One of the few to understand how shallow this game is?

If the majority finds the game not to be shallow then chances are it isnt very shallow until the majority thinks otherwise.  If you dont like the game you really shouldnt play it.

Very good point En1gma.  Again it comes down to personal taste.  I should have maybe rephrased what I was trying to say because it did not come out right.....oops.  I totally agree.  Short, concise, and absolutely correct!

Control is an illusion!

• imasigimasig Member Posts: 149

The argument was not how stable a game was after release.  COH is very stable.  Kudos for that.  The argument is things to do in this stable environment.  Here is a summary of how each game at least equals COH for content upon their release:

Anarchy:  You could do missions, develop your character, and fight random mobs.

EVE:  You could do missions, develop your character, and fight random mobs.

Diablo:  Fine not an MMO.  You could do missions, develop your character, and fight random mobs.

Saga of Ryzom:  In open beta.  You could do missions, develop your character, and fight random mobs.

UO:  You could do missions, develop your character, and fight random mobs.

It's all the other things you can in this game in addition to what's listed above that I think puts the other games above COH.  At least for now.  Lets see if they fix things soon.  If they wait to expansion in late 04, it's going to be too late.

Anyways, I'll be done on this board as it's really pointless to put bad things about the game that people are playing.

imasig great look at the spectrum fo MMOG's.  Really the only bad thing about the game is there is just not enough to it.  The game itself is stellar.  I just could not find a way to keep my interest peaked for very long.  That is just me though....lots of players will probably play this for years to come.  Hopefully (from what I heard) the 1st expansion will be out within the first couple of months.

Control is an illusion!

Guess we need to boil it down to just what a person considers to be content.

The basic gameplay is the same across all of the existing MMOGs as you illustrate. What differentiates them is the focus. Eve, for example, did not have a focus on PvE. This does not mean it didn't exist, but it wasn't what they developed the most fully when they delivered it.

CoH is about story and combat. Simple as that. It has an exciting combat model, better than average mob AI and it has story. Story which will evolve and change over time. (Like the level 32 mobs in Kings Row last night planting a Tree of Life.)

To me content is the why. Why are you developing your character? Is it simply racing to get to a certain point where you can do something else in the game (e.g. PvP in DAOC)? Why are you fighting the mobs? Why are you doing the PvP? You can answer any of those with 'too have fun' but that goes without saying. If you can say why you do the actions in the game that you are doing, then you have discovered what I would call content.

If you are looking at the XP bar in CoH and just watching it go up, not paying attention to the missions or simply camping mobs in a hazard zone, then you are missing what it did deliver in content. And if you aren't interested in reading all that 'junk' then you have simply just selected the wrong game to play.

• MalkavianMalkavian Member UncommonPosts: 2,995

Thread Locked due to Multiple Threads of the Same Topic.

IMPORTANT!!!! - Read the forums before posting a new topic to be sure someone has NOT already posted a similar subject.

To continue discussion click here.

- Malkavian image

"When you find youself sinking into Madness, dive" - Malkavian Proverb

- MMORPG.COM Staff -
    Forum Stalker
    [email protected]

"When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive"

This discussion has been closed.