Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cannot cancel your subscription to Vanguard

Comments

• Cor4xCor4x Member Posts: 241
    Originally posted by Flute

I am writing to inform you that your online subscription agent for subscriptions to your game Vanguard, Saga of Heroes, whom I understand to be Sony Online Entertainment, appear to have a serious error in their website such that I apparently cannot cancel my subscription.

hehehe even though this is a valid sentence, NO CS rep will ever be able to contain the entire thought at once. Just too many words.

In my experience, when writing to a business, I try to keep every sentence to under 7 words if I can. Anything after that or parallel clauses (like this one) tend to get dropped by the CS parser.

The sentence above, understood by CS rep #1:

blahblahblah... that I apparently cannot cancel my subscription.

To which you would've been sent instructions on how to use their website, as you "obviously couldn't".

CS rep #2:

I am writing to inform you that blahblahblah...

To which the CS rep would forward it to legal without another glance. The para-legal that reads all the mail for the lawyers would bit-bucket it as the word lawyer doesn't appear.

CS rep #3:

I ... your ... your ... I ... appear ... their ... cannot ... subscription.

To which they would send you instructions on how to create a station account.

I would have substituted:

The online subscription agent is broken. I cannot cancel my account. Others say the same thing. What do I do?

The problem with writing as opposed to calling billing, is they have absolutely NO reason to help you not pay them! (Aside from the legal reasons they probably won't see.)

I can whine to the poor shlep (or shlepette or shlep-person if we're gonna be all PC) on the phone and at least get it shot in the head there instead of using a web-thingie.

However, understand that no matter what feedback you get, you really only have around a 50% chance of it not being billed next time.

• FluteFlute Member UncommonPosts: 455
    When I wirte to a company, I use big words if big words seem appropriate.   You should see the words that I would get into if suing a company, or prosecuting someone - that would make your head hurt.  At least we don't lapse into Latin.  Much.
  • FluteFlute Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Besides, this is only the first e-mail, fair's fair it might just be a glitch that they can easily have fixed.  No need to use things like asking them to provide their address for legal service of proceedings or anything, yet.  They have days to fix it for my billing day... and they should.  If they don't well...
  • ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156

Well, here is how it has always worked for me :

*  Use the Station to select the specific Game Account to work on.  Cancel that Account.

*  Observe that you are still subscribed to that Game Account.

but

*  Observe the Next Billing information.  THAT will show that the account subscription is no longer going to be renewed next time it comes up for refresh !  The Game Account is indeed canceled.

It does not show the Game Account itself as canceled and/or inactive because you are still able to use it until the current billing runs out.  Then it will no longer be accessable.

Hope the info helps.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

The funniest thing in this thread is to see some Vanbois adamantly defending SoE/Sigil.

When it comes to RL money, it has no excuses.  They are not "entertainment" anymore.  It has to work, smoothly, for every user, 1st time.  No bugs are acceptable, period.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Old SoE tactics, when I started eq2 they did not even ask me a "secret" question, yet when I was to cancel there it was.

As I had not put one in it was impossible to cancel.

I made a very nast post about this in the eq2 forums and I got trashed to hell by the eq2 fans, until a lot of people posted in the thread saying they had encountered the same issue.

I switched VISA card that time.

Second time the same issue, still asked for secret question I had never supplied, this time I only sent in request to support to have them cancel my account, and they did.

Cancelling vanguard was easier as I had station pass, for some reason station pass do not have a secret question.

Was not much of a hassle but it is an age old scam used by not only SoE, the pr0n industry does much the same, mobil phone companies and some ISP's does it as well.

There is no security needed when you are about to give them money, but for some reason ending your payments needs an over abundancy of security.

I agree it is low, I assume they hope that people will not bother and just let the sub run, as I think is the case quite often.

Now a days I have a seperate VISA card when dealing with MMO's, one that I can transfer money to when it is needed, and just let the sub die out due to failed transactions when I want to end, SoE made me start that and it works well, I should not have to but I have very little faith left in this industry nowadays.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Sephiroth28Sephiroth28 Member Posts: 25
    Canceled both my EQ1 and EQ2 subs with zero problems.  No secret questions, just clicked cancel and subscription showed as being canceled.

However for DAoC I had this "website bug" people are mentioning.  Apparently hitting cancel for Mythic didn't cancel my account and they got another month from me before I could cancel over the phone.

---

• StoneysilencStoneysilenc Member Posts: 369
    The Ask a secret question is only for certain accounts.  Some accounts seem to be flagged to always ask for the Secret Question and others are not.  This used to come up in EQ2 all the time too.  My account isn't flagged and I have canceled dozens of times for most all of SOE's games.  As for those who canceled and it says it is still open, perhaps your browser is not getting a new copy of the page but actually showing you a cached version.  Try going to that screen hold the SHIFT key and press refresh.  This forces the browser to actually redownload the page.

SOE seems to have a issue sometimes with cached browser pages.  Sometimes the cancel button won't even show up and you have to do the browser re-cache thing I stated above to get it to show up too.

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Korusus

I only cancelled a few days ago and I definitely didn't get asked my "secret question".... I don't even remember ever giving SoE a secret question...so this must be a VERY recent change.

It was pretty much just click "My Account" from the launchpad, click cancel, "thanks for your patronage".

Not even a question about why you're cancelling.  Easiest time I've ever had cancelling a subscription. 

If you want real cancellation problems, rewind to Horizons.

I have cancelled twice, and both times, they asked the question.  Wasn't a problem, but they asked.

• LordFaridLordFarid Member Posts: 24

I had the same problem. The worse thing is that i've never played a SOE game before but i was warned, warned by so many people. After experiencing all the crap with the game itself they wont allow you to cancel if you forgot the security question (password apparently is useless and used for nothing).

One thing is sure. I dont care if SOE's next game is the freaking most beautiful game ever created. I wont ever buy a product from them again.

• DeathstinyDeathstiny Member Posts: 386

hey you guys wanted a game that's harder. Cancellation difficulty is part of the immersion

3rd Generation billing system for the loss

• Bane82Bane82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,242
    Originally posted by Kutch

Tried all I could.

Apparently, SoE asks you your secret question (and this is ONLY done for cancelling a subscription). Additionally, the answer to my secret question uses some of my own national characters ( ø to be precise), something that apparently is no longer supported.

I live in Europe, and cannot call SoE support in USA because of  the time difference.

Just called my bank and had them block SoE out. Seesh.

Oh shoot! they're pulling a "Dark and Light" on ya! LOL! sorry, just kidding, I just didn't think that even SOE would do something so stupid as that.
  • KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831
    If you're one of the people that ran into this bug like me MAKE SURE THAT YOU'RE ACCOUNT STATUS SAY'S "Non-recurring Billing Method or Cancelled" on your billing page.  If it says "Active" than you are still subscribed no matter what anyone tries to tell you.  It is not your browser playing tricks on you.  Until it says Cancelled you're still subscribed.

I was only able to get my account cancelled after emailing SOE CS, which was relatively painless. 

I seriously suggest that anyone who cancelled before now double check to make sure they really are cancelled. 

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

• PopsPops Member Posts: 8
     I dont know I was able to cancel my vanguard and EQ II account without incident ... I just pushed the button and it canceled it.  I also returned the New expansion for EQ II without incident ... Now to figure out what to game to play till AoC.
  • CaligulugCaligulug Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by Kutch

Tried all I could.

Apparently, SoE asks you your secret question (and this is ONLY done for cancelling a subscription). Additionally, the answer to my secret question uses some of my own national characters ( ø to be precise), something that apparently is no longer supported.

I live in Europe, and cannot call SoE support in USA because of  the time difference.

Just called my bank and had them block SoE out. Seesh.

Maybe the "unsub" button melted from all the clicking?

Cal

• ArtifacTArtifacT Member Posts: 222
    OMG they are not trying to take your money

ok i hate soe

but cmon now... your account is "active" until the next billing date it only says that your account is "inactive" after the date has passed

its still active because u still have time left on your last billed month....

everyone needs to calm down and stop thinking their money is being stolen... maybe from small companies that could make a run with ur money but SOE is far to large and conspicuous (this isnt DnL/Mourning)

btw i know all of this because i used to play SWG (which is why i hate them now
  • KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831
    Originally posted by ArtifacT

OMG they are not trying to take your money

ok i hate soe

but cmon now... your account is "active" until the next billing date it only says that your account is "inactive" after the date has passed

its still active because u still have time left on your last billed month....

everyone needs to calm down and stop thinking their money is being stolen... maybe from small companies that could make a run with ur money but SOE is far to large and conspicuous (this isnt DnL/Mourning)

btw i know all of this because i used to play SWG (which is why i hate them now
    You could not be more wrong.  Account status becomes "Nonrecurring billing method or cancelled" when it is actually cancelled.  Ask anyone who was able to cancel without running into the bug and they'll tell you that's what it says.  If it still says "active" and shows a billing date than you are still subscribed.

And yes I still have time on my account.

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

• MuppetHeroMuppetHero Member Posts: 208

I have had issues with SoE cancleing my accounts with most games. For example. I had station pass for a while and i wanted to cancle it cus one of the main reasons i had station pass was for the free "adventure packs" or what not for eq2. so anyways I was cancleing it from Eq2 cus you cancle it from a game not a general station pass cancle. and it asked me a secret word. well I had the game for 2 years I coudlent remember my secret word for the life of me. Then I click on eq1 and it didnt ask for a secret word. I thought that was really hypicitical of them for one game but not another. 

Esquase my spelling.

Conservatism.
    Just old white men trying to find ways to legalize discrimination, and make the poor poorer

• ArtifacTArtifacT Member Posts: 222
    well when i canceled my account (right after the NGE) >_< it said active until the end of my subscription...

after the billing date passed it said something like account inactive or subscription cancelled... might be different now since that was almost a year and a half ago -.-
  • Cor4xCor4x Member Posts: 241
    I had a chance to call Sony yesterday evening to cancel my account.

The website is screwed up. It will not cancel (at least sometimes). The SOE rep mentioned that it is happening to a lot of people.

Way to keep that "subscriber base" fellas.

Also, any post made to the effect on silkyvenom is of course deleted and censored heavily.

In any event, when you cancel the prompt changes to : *Non-recurring Billing Method or Cancelled.

You will have to call the toll-enabled number or perhaps email them if you have the problem. (I don't trust email and my long distance is free, so I called them.)

My hold time was under 5 minutes.

The guy was pretty friendly.

He understood that I didn't trust them, which I now don't.

Interestingly, SOE knows about this issue and it is widespread, but they aren't announcing anything about it. I also got the impression they weren't in a hurry to fix it. I guess it makes sense as it'd be another month of billing without a load on their servers until people caught on.

• cdcoll1nscdcoll1ns Member Posts: 18
    I cancelled my account after I installed the game to ensure i wouldn't be charged... well I was charged.  SOE is the worst of the worst.  Vanguard is the next DnL
  • tevanstevans Member Posts: 87

Sometimes I've had the problem of SOE telling me the answer to my secret question was wrong. Funny thing is I write that stuff down in a notebook just in case I forget. The last time I cancelled SWG it repeatedly rejected my answer and then told me I had to contact them. Then it cancelled my account. It's crazy to have to go through extreme measures just to cancel something you don't want.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Just chiming in to warn everybody about SoE Billing system.

Can't say if they are doing it maliciously or not, but this is not the first time I hear about problems with SoE billing. Happened personally to me in 2 occasions: Matrix online and EQ2.

In the first occasion, they made a new "free" trial version of 14 days. A shame the form was so poorly worded up that many people (there was a big ruckus on the Mxo forum then) ended up subscribing to it and paying the full price for it instead of getting the 14 days trial and guess what was the best thing? if you subscribed your trial was cancelled. So there went the 14 free days, not to speak of the monthly fee for one month...

In eq2 i did all the procedure up to the final screen, cancelled but i was a fool. I didn't double check. The web system never cancelled my account and i realized it only the next month when my CC statement had the account still there. Tried the bank, tried the company, nothing to do. "you didn't cancel"... the hell I didn't!

So be careful.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

What happens when you change your subscription credit card or bank info to something bogus?

ive done this in the past when I had problems cancelling various online subscriptions

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

They're called game time cards. No credit card info, no credit card billing hassles.

And no having to cancel, or worry about forgetting to cancel.