Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game fun?

Jester92Jester92 Member Posts: 156
I know the single players are fun but i have my doubts on the online aspect...

J. B.

Comments

• stbaysstbays Member Posts: 43

Asking, is it fun, is not an easy question to answer.  For me, it's tons of fun.  Granted, there's a lot of waiting, money is hard to get, and after 10, most jobs need parties.  At the higher level jobs, you're looking at a full day's work for one level unless you get a perfect party.

On the other hand, if you're a social person, with time, you can make a lot of friends.  I've made several hundreds of friends in my time in the game.  Course, one thing I never figured out is why there's a 200 people limit for the friends list.  Oh well.

If you have any particular questions, feel free to ask me and I'll do my best to answer them.

• SerielleSerielle Member Posts: 13
    "Is it fun?" is a really hard question to answer. I recently came back to FFXI after a long time away, and when I played it before, I really wasn't able to get too far into it, as I was having computer problems. I didn't play anything for a while, then I started playing EVE, and I've been there ever since. Unfortunately though, we all get burn out at one point or another, and a few weeks ago, when that happened to me with EVE, my husband and I picked up FFXI again.

So far, I've had a blast! (except for partying in the Dunes with an unexperienced party, but that's never fun, no matter what game you're playing.) Most everyone I've come in contact with has been very helpful, more than generous, and the game in and of itself is good times to play. Lots of beautiful scenery to walk through (and you'll be doing a lot of it), solid gameplay, and stability are really making this game shine for me, especially after playing EVE so long, which sometimes feels like you're playing in a beta.

Some things to keep in mind though, are that the game is a time suck. If you're a casual player, you can expect to level slowly, and not have too much gil on hand. You just have to keep in mind that you can still reach all of the goals that you want, it'll just take you a bit longer to do.

If you love the console games, try XI out. You'll be with other fans of the series in a world created especially for us. You'll already be familiar with a lot of the terminology, classes, and in general, how most things work, so it shouldn't take too long to get up to speed.

Again, the original question is hard to answer, because it really depends on what you're looking for in a game. Hopefully this post will help you make that determination.

Current Games:
    EVE Online - Co-CEO RTN [SOL]
    FFXI - WHM 19/BLM 13 - Valefor Server

• snipergsniperg Member Posts: 863
    It's good enough and the party aspect is what really keeps me there.

The only thing you may have problem is getting money for items that you may want.

Well this can actually counter balances a bit since many of the higher levels will give you good tips of how to make some.

Though i would advice you if you are planning for  a nice experience try to get a static party since pick up one suffer the same things that all random parties in every game suffer. And with an exp penalty that is never good.

Also it's always good to check sites for the classes themselves so you can have a good idea before you begin of what to expect.

A friend is not him who provides support during your failures.A friend is the one that cheers you during your successes.

• ASmith84ASmith84 Member Posts: 979

this game is really boring in my opinion.  it takes way too long to do anything.  The battle system is just boring to watch.  It looks like they arnt really into the battle.  When you swing your sword it looks like he doesnt even care.  i couldnt really get into the game.  i stopped playing after a week.  After i heard how long it takes to get anywhere i lost interest fast.  If you have alot of free time on your hands or are really patient go ahead and try it.  If you dont have all the time in the world i suggest gettin Guild Wars. 

• markaudettemarkaudette Member UncommonPosts: 49

You have to understand that this game is the most intensive time sink of all the MMORPGs on the market. This game takes an incredibly large amount of time out of your life.

Having said that, FFXI is a blast!

It's very, very fun.

• garfonggarfong Member Posts: 4

It's fun enough that I keep hitting the community sites in hopes that Square updates it to be more casual friendly.  I liked the artwork and world better than WoW, but the gameplay seems to revolve around waiting for all the stars to align perfectly. (i.e. having the right group makeup classwise and levelwise).  It's lots of fun after you're done waiting 2 hours for a group, and if it's only 2 hours you're lucky.

• markaudettemarkaudette Member UncommonPosts: 49

I feel exactly the way you do garfong.

I just keep hoping and hoping that S-E would make FFXI more friendly towards the casual gamer as well. But I just don't think it will ever, ever happen. And my god, it makes me so mad.

Hopefully, S-E's next MMORPG will cater more to the casual gamer. If not, then I just won't be playing it.

• pandaconpandacon Member Posts: 14
    Well, they have made changes to make leveling easier, and some items easier to get, as well as making some new items that have close stats to some of the rare items.

But there is only so much they can do to target a casual audience without upsetting the current playerbase, they'll basically have to start from scratch to do so.
  • ssnautilusssnautilus Member Posts: 373
    They REALLY need a 3D engine update to keep this alive - those PIXELLATED (yes! dot dot dots) graphics are really something pre-3D era - ie pseudo 3D-isk! You actually see little *blobs* running about in the distance! Yikes!

I can hardly read names on objects/characters - due to the low-res fonts. (I have a system that runs EQ2 at near full-specs + 1440x900 TFT widescreen ... so its not my end!)

They also need to allow 100% keymapping options - eveything about this game is RIGID and nintendo-ish. After all these years they should learn to be more flexible.

I love their LAUNCHER - I wish more companies had such interactive launchers. I hate their UNSUBSCRIBING/REGISTRING setup - you can never tell when you have CORRECTLY unsubscribed. I also detest that "3 month inactivity char purge" rule. Again very rigid BBS-SysOp mentality.

Overall: Not recommended.
  • garfonggarfong Member Posts: 4

Yah, I doubt S-E will change it at this point. I can still dream :)

• omegaflareomegaflare Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Originally posted by Jester92

I know the single players are fun but i have my doubts on the online aspect...
    Let me tell you something, unlike other MMO games, FFXI has one of the best MMO storyline!!!! PERIOD! The advance job quest storyline is just AWESOME! I loved it! I will give it as 10/10!!!! I should have played it a little bit longer without unsubscribing this game. I had to unsubscribe so I could focus on my school work.

• petrickopetricko Member Posts: 84
    I loved this game.   Played for 2 years before I had to stop due to limitations in my college schedule.   The game is entirely unique and definitely worth playing.  Best community, and storyline.  Square never disappoints.