Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yet another noob looking for a new game

AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
Yep, I'm another newbie who's interested in playing a new MMORPG and looking for advice. I posted to the Site Suggestions about developing a questionaire to help people like me (answer some questions and get a list of games that you may like). I'm a casual player (10-15 hours a week). I'm currently playing City of Heroes/Villains. Originally I was in Earth & Beyond but we all know what happened to that. I also tried RF Online but the experience was terrible. I posted my criteria on my CoH supergroup's board.

1) Newbie/Casual gamer friendly. I want a game that I can pick up and put down at will. I don't want one that pretty much demands I spend hours at a time playing it.

2) Modern/Sci-fi world(s). Sorry but elves and orcs don't interest me much. I'd rather not have a fantasy setting (unless it bucks the stereotypes). This means no WoW.

3) PvE. I don't like PvP-only or PvP-heavy games. They tend to be populated with serious gamers who have almost forgotten the game itself should be fun and not be a focus on getting a bunch of stuff.

4) A good craft system. In Earth & Beyond my main characters were a builder and a resource gatherer. There's a zen-like feeling you get from spending time mining/gathering. (Ideally gathering should be in non-PvP areas. I don't want to be fragged while I'm peacefully collecting items.)

5) A game were the journey is important and the goal is to have fun. No need to PL to level X. A way for experienced and novice characters can play together.

6) Must be able to solo. For some reason I'm often playing alone. I like it but I'm not afraid to call for help when I need it. If I can do 75% or more of the missions/quests/whatever alone then I don't mind forming a team for the rest of it.

Thank you

Comments

• AmaraoAmarao Member UncommonPosts: 650
    SWG maybe.

EvE is out of the question since you dont like PvP....

look into SWG or the Saga of ryzom.
  • paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613
    surprisingly for EvE while I played it it was very newbie friendly if you went through the first blocks of text.  player base is, possiably not for game mechanics.

though for parts of the player base it fails on the PvP, though you can avoid it usually.

you'll most likely like it, then decide that it's not a game you can see yourself playing.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857
    Anarchy Online wouldn't be too bad a match, in addition to the other suggestions.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• stucoolstucool Member Posts: 134
    Try Auto Assult, unless you don't like driving games. It's fun, but not many play it. I think there is a trial on the site. If you can give up the crafting, the maybe City of Heroes.
  • KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303
    Well, CoH is about to put in a crafting system, so you might like that when it comes out.  Aside from this, it's hard for me to really recommend something.  EVE will likely have too much PvP for your tastes.  Also, it might be too much sim and too little game for the tastes of a CoH fan.  AO just looks and feels very old.  Try the trial and see for yourself, though.  It's basically free to play, though the free version doesn't include all of the expansions.  I suppose you could give Matrix Online a shot.  Not the best in any particular area, terrible in parts, but it's a passable game.  I don't think there's a free trial out, though, which is really a bummer.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    I appreciate the feedback everyone. Eve Online is a possibility. Ironically it's where most of my Earth & Beyond friends went when it closed. I will have to learn more about the PvP before making a decision. For SWG, I've heard some not-so-good things about it. Same for Matrix Online. I'm not dismissing any advice, but I'm going to be wary of those two titles. I'll check out AO and Ryzom sometime.

Kurush, I'm not sure what you meant by "too much sim and too little game". As a CoX player, I look forward to the craft system. But having already a max level character already, I'm starting to feel the excitement die down. It has the "been there, done that" feel. I think "too much sim" would be a nice change if I had a firm idea about what that meant. All I can assume is that there's a lot of non-combat actions to do. If I'm right, then it would definitely be a nice change. Too many CoX missions are "go to X, kill Y". Now I'm actively trying to stealth my way through all the missions I can for the challenge (and to get them over with quickly).

Thanks again everyone. Keep the advice coming.
  • Pipboy2000Pipboy2000 Member Posts: 44
    I would reccommend waiting for the TCOS - The Chronicles of Spellborn Open beta. It'll hit in about a month.  Im not gonna write a story about it, its on the site and heres a link to their page http://tcos.com/ . Feel free to sign up on the Forums and ask w/e you like and i can help you out.
  • grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102
    If Sci-Fi is a must then youre restricted to AO & EVE which are both ok games. Eve is extremely elitist at the end-game but there are literally hundreds of newbie friendly guilds forming with that 'We just want to have fun on a thursday night' feel. AO lacks content and you just move from whoring one area to another but the community is relaxed and doesnt have that 'I hate my own game' feel of new games that are in the middle of bombing.

If playing solo is a big hitter then give RF-online a go. Its mainly a solo grind with optional grouping. You will need to group every so often to finish a level off and the end-game is grouping but you can solo the journey.

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

Originally posted by grimboj 

If playing solo is a big hitter then give RF-online a go. Its mainly a solo grind with optional grouping. You will need to group every so often to finish a level off and the end-game is grouping but you can solo the journey.
    I would sooner give a hyperactive 8 year old a bag of pixie sticks and pay him to hit me with a baseball bat until he gets tired than play RF-Online again. The pain will end much sooner. Let's ignore the difficult controls, snobish community, worthless instruction book, and how PvP is the end all/ be all of the game and focus on the game itself. When I asked for help as to what to do, since the game didn't give any clues or guide and only gave a shoddy tutorial for the controls, everyone said I had to PL to 30 or 40 and ignored my question about where to find missions. To me, that's just not fun. What is the point of the game if you have to plow through the levels to be accepted? I want to go at my own pace and enjoy myself. When I first heard people were using bots to mine, I was turned off. Then I saw how boring it was to mine from an X-play review then realized bots are used to keep the users sane. You don't even have to move around, just stand there and wait. I had a horrible experience with RF-Online.

Sorry to rant but suggesting this game gave me a PTFFD episode (that's Post Tramatic Futile Frustration Disorder).
  • sekrogsekrog Member Posts: 261
    Originally posted by stucool

Try Auto Assult, unless you don't like driving games. It's fun, but not many play it. I think there is a trial on the site. If you can give up the crafting, the maybe City of Heroes.

I second this suggestion to the OP.

Before you let others sway your decision though, here and in any other forum for MMO's out there, download the 14-day trial.

You've heard the old saying, "Don't knock it until you try it," right?

My only disclaimer is this:

If you have a strong aversion to blood-curtailing screams and random gore, in an apoloyptic backdrop of utter chaos and destruction, then I'd suggest you stay away from Auto Assault.

• skiziskizi Member Posts: 120
    3 years ago I would have pointed to SWG, it has pretty much everything you want in a game.

Now the closest thing(I've personally played) would be EQ2. The game is very polished and has a lot to offer. The community is probably the best in any MMO I've ever played, people will actually help you with a quest!(this was unheard of in WoW).  I think it's built with the casual player in mind, with both a solo and group friendly environment.

The only thing you may not like about it, as you've stated, would probably be the fantasy setting. Yea sure, there are elves and orcs, but it has never really bothered me.

Good luck.

Waiting for:
    AoC // WAR // Darkfall

Originally posted by Pipboy2000

I would reccommend waiting for the TCOS - The Chronicles of Spellborn Open beta. It'll hit in about a month.  Im not gonna write a story about it, its on the site and heres a link to their page http://tcos.com/ . Feel free to sign up on the Forums and ask w/e you like and i can help you out.
    Well I did say "no fantasy unless it breaks the mold" (or something like that) and TCoS does that. I'm reading the FAQs now and I'll give it a try if I continue to like what I see.

From the FAQ:

Elven wizards in flowing robes accompanied by dwarven warriors and their nimble gnomish scouts are the stuff of far too many other games. While the team loves and respects great works of fantasy such as The Lord of the Rings and the like, we’ve stepped away from the common ideals populating the MMOG market.

OK That scored BIG points with me. That stuff is too cliche and stinks of uncreative game developers. Glad to see they are moving away from that. Now if they're willing to step FAAAAR away from LotR, they'll score more points.

I may have to take back what I said about CoSB. I checked out its board here and people were praising how PvP it is along with something called FFA (whatever that stands for). It sounds like this game will be a PvP free for all and too PvP heavy for my taste. Ryzom is said to be going under a major upgrade so I'm holding off on that. So I may be back to square one. I'll have to keep looking.
  • CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440
    Originally posted by paulscott

surprisingly for EvE while I played it it was very newbie friendly if you went through the first blocks of text.  player base is, possiably not for game mechanics.

though for parts of the player base it fails on the PvP, though you can avoid it usually.

you'll most likely like it, then decide that it's not a game you can see yourself playing.

Thats wierd, when I played EvE I found it very newbie/solo unfriendly.  You have to join a corporation to have fun, otherwise your sitting there for hours mining vesper.  Also the tutorial was... limited.