Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of coming back...

GarfunkelGarfunkel Member UncommonPosts: 224

I sometimes think of coming back to L2, it was fun for a while but I gave my character away (and I mean gave - not sold). It was a level 50 DA with a lvl20 scav as an alt.

I don't think I could face the pointless grind of the class change quest at 40 again - or the meaningless grinding in the dungeons with no function to it other than exp gain. Has anything changed since Chron 2 or is it sitll the same?

Would I still have to fight my way through chinese farmers to get to a decent level?

and is it still saturated with ebayers?

Comments

• GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180
    Leveling has gotten like a 1000 times easier..

I leveled from like 39-42 on one of my characters last time I got back (around October I think) in ONE weekend... And that was not even playing the whole weekend, just parts of it! I leveled that faster than I did at around the late 20's and early 30s back in chronicle 3/4.

Grind got easier, especially with Catacombs/Necroplis/grouping exp gain. There are still ebayers/adena farmers but I just tried to ignore them last time I played. DEFINITELY not as much as there used to be though so it got a bit better.

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• PraorPraor Member Posts: 519
    Originally posted by Garfunkel

I don't think I could face the pointless grind of the class change quest at 40 again - or the meaningless grinding in the dungeons with no function to it other than exp gain. Has anything changed since Chron 2 or is it sitll the same?
    Would I still have to fight my way through chinese farmers to get to a decent level?

Yes ,yes and yes and for future reference.......yes.

You wanna play.........Lol get that Mastercard out or Visa  but don't look at it as a bad thing,some games ( if any ) were not made be to be played with a legit state of accord .

Waiting on Guild Wars 2

Lineage 2 can easily be played without doing illegal things... When I quit I was lvl 48 and I could start to buy Top B-grade stuff just by playing the market. I stayed in Giran for a few weeks leaving shops over night and playing a few hours during the day. I made sooo much money, at one point though I went severly down after breaking top c-grade duals trying to enchant, but after that I continued to play the market and I could start to afford B-grade stuff. Trust me, you definitely do not need to waste extra REAL LIFE money on virtual stuff.

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Originally posted by Greatness

Lineage 2 can easily be played without doing illegal things... When I quit I was lvl 48 and I could start to buy Top B-grade stuff just by playing the market. I stayed in Giran for a few weeks leaving shops over night and playing a few hours during the day. I made sooo much money, at one point though I went severly down after breaking top c-grade duals trying to enchant, but after that I continued to play the market and I could start to afford B-grade stuff. Trust me, you definitely do not need to waste extra REAL LIFE money on virtual stuff.
    That is true, you do not need to use real life money. Just don't expect to get everything you want right away. Nothing wrong with that.

And though leveling is easier it still does have a bit of a grind. Especially at higher levels.

So don't expect to rocket up to lvl 80 in a few months. L2 really is a game that you dedicate quite a bit of time to.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Sovrath

L2 really is a game that you dedicate quite a bit of time to.
    Definitely, I always come back and quit.. I have done it like 6-7 times already lol . Still fun though when I come back, last time I came back was the first time I came back on an old character(although that char was only lvl 39), usually I would start new.

Maybe you should find a trial? And see if you are still interested.

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• XenAeonXenAeon Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by Praor

Yes ,yes and yes and for future reference.......yes.
    You wanna play.........Lol get that Mastercard out or Visa  but don't look at it as a bad thing,some games ( if any ) were not made be to be played with a legit state of accord .
    Pfft... I'm a lvl 78 storm screamer, that has top s-gear (for nukers).. 100% legit..  key is to find a good clan, good friends.   
  • EllyrionEllyrion Member Posts: 193
    Originally posted by Garfunkel

I sometimes think of coming back to L2, it was fun for a while but I gave my character away (and I mean gave - not sold). It was a level 50 DA with a lvl20 scav as an alt.

LOL , every MMO out there will have a "pointless grind" OR some other time sink which they need to impose on you as their customer in order to keep you playing. What strikes me funny, is that as a veteran of EQ1, I often heard comments about mudflation and how all the subsequent expansions invalidated the "effort" ppl went to in previous expansions. The weapons and armour brought in were a LOT better than some of the epic stuff ppl spent months getting with their entire guild in tow.

In L2 this so called "grind" is no different to the EQ1 XP curve, except that ppl were "conditioned" by EQ1 into groupping as soloing was not "permissive" to most classes untlil the 4th or 5th year of the game and in most cases it was far from efficient. 

What you need to realise is that L2 has very little mudflation !! Whilst the weapons and armour get better, they also get harder to obtain, the risk vs reward equation is an ever upward sloping curve.

The same can be said for levelling your character. There are no supershortcuts as there were in other games where you'd be able to PL toons to max level in a few weeks.

L2's mob AI constrains "legitimate" PLing very effectively. The interplay between equipment and combat capability ensures that you MUST spend money and a ton of it to PL someone.  This is a good thing as it makes the effort to level up a character so much more worthwhile, and you will note with satisfaction that there is very little erosion of that effort.  Every legitimate player out there has that "respect" from lower level players for their efforts. There is no point complaining about the botters and cheaters because most legit players who have played long enough tend to know their "peers". Sudden unheard of high level characters which pop up from nowhere don't fool anyone. The respect for legitimate play remains and most server communities know who the legit players are ;)

It is unfortunate that the other essentially excellent idea of a fully "droppable" system proved so susceptible to "farming and botting". If L2 had progressed more legitimately, everyone would still be running around in C and B grade armour and only the most consistent, equitable and well organised clans could field some of its members in A and S grade. But that is a separate topic for another thread and one thats been well and truly debated after 3 years of L2 anyway.

So in closing, I offer you this advice if you will. Play L2 as a team game, and re-learn to share and work in tandem with ppl. Sure there's always a trust issue, but you have to start somewhere, and there are plenty of really well established clans which will happily add another player to their clan roster. All you have to do is show a modicum of loyalty, dedication and social competency when dealing with others, and you may be pleasantly suprised at the outcome :)

Regards,

Ellyrion Fiallathandriel, the " Reckless Knight "

7X Eva's Templar

Kain

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821
    I came back to L2 2 months ago. I left again after 1 month,

The game has improved a little: since C5 graphics are nicer as they have updated the textures and leveling is now faster.

- I reached lvl 20 the first day.

- by the end of the first week I was lvl 40.

- by the end of the month I was lvl 54

I played many hours every day till lvl 40, didn't play as much after lvl 40, so it was slower till lvl 54.

Apart of this the game has not changed. This is still not a quest based game, and so there are still only 3 reasons to play:

1. grind to get xp = to get new skills.

2. grind to get adena and mats to craft for your stuff.

3. pvp & the community. Grouping is definitely the best part of this game.

After 1 month I was again bored and quit the game. After you have grinded and grinded and grinded to get your skills and your gear and pvped a few times what else is there to do ?

Edit: Forgot to add that the economy is ruined. There is no sane competition anymore. Bots and ebayers are everywhere, they have taken over the world.
  • EllyrionEllyrion Member Posts: 193
    Originally posted by BigMango

The game has improved a little: since C5 graphics are nicer as they have updated the textures and leveling is now faster.

I played many hours every day till lvl 40, didn't play as much after lvl 40, so it was slower till lvl 54.

Apart of this the game has not changed. This is still not a quest based game, and so there are still only 3 reasons to play:

After 1 month I was again bored and quit the game. After you have grinded and grinded and grinded to get your skills and your gear and pvped a few times what else is there to do ?

Edit: Forgot to add that the economy is ruined. There is no sane competition anymore. Bots and ebayers are everywhere, they have taken over the world.

I'd just like to pull  you up on a couple of things. You're certainly entitled to your opinion and what I have to say is more for those looking to play the game, rather than trying to convince you otherwise. The msg I would like to get out to new players is that this is not a beer and pretzels solo type game. You need friends or the ability to make some in order to enjoy the game for what it was designed to deliver.

Just as a matter of establishing a baseline, a starting player would probably take 2-3 days to get to level 20 these days assuming they did not play for 10-16 hrs straight a day, where you could conceivably do it in 2 days. Having buffs and top NG gear would certainly make it possible to get to level 20 in one day but it would still be a loooong day, even for a nuker spamming SS. The down time alone in having to regen MP would be considerable past lv 15. So for starters getting to 20 in one day gives you a significant leg up on most new players, aside from your experience of the game.

Saying that you got to lv 40 in a week already answers my first question of whether you re-rolled from a previous char, and it becomes obvious that you had access to both sufficient cash and accounts to PL yourself. Unless you are in a well organised party of 5+ players fully geared and spamming SS without interruption for 10+ hours / day you will not make lv 40 in a week. It has been done in AOE parties (and I know because I pulled for them) but it was PLing in the purest form and even then we still spent a lot of money and quite a bit of time doing it. This feat mind you, was accomplished by a number of max level characters in top A and S grade equipment with 3 years of game time under our belt.  The fact that you got to 54 in a month is just further proof of either a cash/buffer access or someone PLing/assisting you.  The cost of doing all this (cost of full NG equipment ~ 1 mill, DG ~ 4-5 mil, CG ~ 20-25 mil give or take depending on your class and level of equipment incl any enchantments/enhancements (rough prices on Kain)) 26-31mil for gear alone. Add to this the cost of spamming SS/BSPS pots, scrolls and other paraphenailia and you could easily arrive at 45-50 million just to get yourself to lv 40 in a week. (I'm assuming that you're actually using top level gear at each stage to maintain maximum XP gain efficiency).

I put it to you, that I spent the first year of L2 just getting to lv 40 and the second and third to where I am now. I have many of my peers who are now the nobles and hero's on Kain whom I've known for the duration of that trek and all of us collectively could not hope to achieve what you have described sice L2 began. This I hope gives you an indication of how much the game has changed. As to how you came into possession of 50 million adena well ...  without knowing your background, how long you've played for or which clan/server you belong to, I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you earnt it legitimately. It took me almost eight months to raise enough cash throughout beta, open beta, prelude the first two chronicles to get my D and subsequently C grade equipment...

WRT Quests, L2 was never advertised as a quest based game.... It was always advertised as a PvP game. Quests are not the reward quests of WoW. They are tasks which you need to accomplish in order to progress.  The point of progressing is so that you can take your rightfull place on the siege field in order to protect your clans or your allies holdings. Those holdings which in turn make it cheaper and easier for you to progress through the game making it less of a .... grind!

Thats it, as simple as that. If you want it do the task and earn the prescribed "reward" then go ahead, if not then do something else...

Class change over and Nobility quests may be the only exceptions here, as they affect your ability to progress, but given that you only made it to the second class change then there is no point in describing the angst and challenges of high level quests which require, dedication, persistance, strategy, timing, adena !!! lots of adena !!! and ever larger groups to accomplish.

WRT of what else is there to do ?????  Mate, WTF ?

How about helping others to get through their class change and nobility quests, havesting mats, seeding/manoring, crafting of all sorts but how about just SS to keep ppl Xping efficiently for starters, levelling ehancement crystals, losing your sanity in levelling hatchlings and other pets, earning AA to unseal your armour/jewellery.

How about attending/organising/scouting for boss mobs for raids to equip your peer clannies with the mats and uber equipment which they've helped to get for you? How about backing up your allies in PvP? How about sieging a castle or defending one?

Roger so far ?

I'm not even gonna rant about the economy, because whilst you are right from a throw away generalist sort of statement, much has changed since the so called "ruining event" which you probably are not even aware of  and the subsequent inflation of the market as you describe. The simple fact of the increase in maturity of the avg L2 player and a growing sense of community has been successful in eroding the so called "inflation problem". Its become less and less of an issue over the last year or so (through clan centralised crafting and trading systems) for most of the organised clans accross any of the servers.

By your current description mate, you have not even began to play L2...

Regards,

Ellyrion Fiallathandriel, " Reckless Knight "

7X Eva's Templar

Kain

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905
    Originally posted by Ellyrion

Regards,

7X Eva's Templar

Kain

Spot on. He didn't do anything. Typical.
    Originally posted by Torak

Regards,

7X Eva's Templar

Kain

Heh, dude, no wonder you can reach 2000+ posts with such worthless replies. You have no clue what I did and did not do but you know it all.

Now put this into contrast with Ellyrion's excellent post.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Regards,

7X Eva's Templar

Kain

Heh, dude, no wonder you can reach 2000+ posts with such worthless replies. You have no clue what I did and did not do but you know it all.

Now put this into contrast with Ellyrion's excellent post.

But I do know what you did  you posted it right here.

I would say that you summed up your experience right here, or was there something more?

Edit: Forgot to add that the economy is ruined. There is no sane competition anymore. Bots and ebayers are everywhere,
    they have taken over the world.

If there was MORE then you did not accuratly communicate that fact. You misrepresented your experience then if there was more in an attempt to portray the game in a negitive light.

Yes Ellyroin's post was very good, to bad he wasted his time.

As far as what you think of the quality of my post, I could give a rats arse.

I'd just like to pull  you up on a couple of things.

--- CUT for length ---

Regards,
    7X Eva's Templar
    Kain
    Hey, nice post

The OP was inquiring about coming back, so I "very roughly" summarized the game without going into any details as I was not talking to a new player, but to someone I expect already knows the game.

So if I sit back, and look at the game as a whole and the time spent, my summary is what I see. Yes RB (sitting for 2 hours doing nothing waiting for everyone to get organized) and such are nice.... for some time. Sitting back the cream of this is : grind grind...

You seem to know the game very well. You have played a lot. My respect to an elder But I think I can teach you something about the 50% of the game you are missing out Here is how I did it:

I came back after 8 months and actually re-rolled on a new fresh server (Franz). I started all over with no friends and nothing. As I wanted to try a BD I rolled a shilien fighter.

Yes the game has changed a lot. It is now much faster to level. The ng SS are free and the mobs now drop all sorts of pots (hp, mp, speed, attack speed,...) So there is almost no down time once you find the right spot.

I went to 20 on my own, often grouping. One of the friends I met while doing this was a new player at lvl14 who rerolled for a future SE. At that time she joined the game for the first time 2 months earlier. She already had a lvl 41 AW, a lvl 22 crafter (to craft for her stuff) and this 3rd char was to become her own buffer, she was dual boxing.

As you can see she was new and lost a lot of time on a crafter she didn't need. She didn't know there was no need to roll a crafter as all the classes can craft (the crafters are for hire all over giran). Yes there is a point in rolling a crafter if you need it for a clan or if you want to enjoy RPing a warsmith, but if only for the stuff there is no need to roll one.

A little later I was surprised  when this new  player told me that my leveling to lvl 20 in 1 day was normal . She did the same with all of her alts and  she told me many did the same.

So yes I went to 20 the first day with no power leveling. Just on my own and grouping from time to time.

At lvl 22 I met my clan leader. The clan was new (created 1 week before I joined) and I was the 4th member (we were all 4 in the 18-24 lvl range). This was a lot of fun to start a clan from the beginning (almost). He equipped me with a mithril armor (not top D) and some top D duals. So yes this helped from lvl 22 to reach my 40 by the end of the first week. This equipment was the only help. The rest to 40 I did on my own and grouping in and out of my clan.

At lvl 40 a friend lent me some top C duals. I crafted the full plate armor (top C) I got somewhere in my 40ties.

At lvl 52 I sold the C duals to craft my dual samurai (top B). A little part of that adena was also used to craft my doom plate (top B armor). Somewhere around that time I also started paying the C duals back to their owner.

So now at lvl 54 I was in top B. Out of the help I got for some of my D gear  and the C duals that were lent to me I did everything on my own. Without this help I would probably have reached lvl 40 a few days later.

How did I do it with no other help and no buffing out of the (new) dropped pots and the buffing in groups ? I just did not make the mistakes most of the new players make. The secret in this game is crafting and trading.

Most of the players fail to realize that crafting and trading ACTUALLY IS the 50% of the game. If you do not do this you miss 50% of the game. If you do not do this you cannot make any cash to equip yourself, or you end up playing for years to get your gear.

After the first few ng gear I never purchase any gear, never purchase a single SS. I craft everything. For this I drop and also purchase the mats. (You have to purchase a lot of the mats, there is no way you can drop enough).

Never purchase anything. Put your money into the mats. This is a HUGE investment. I only craft top grade gear as this is what sells the fastest. What I equip on myself is an investment, this is why I only equip top gear, this sells with a huge profit when I need to upgrade my gear. Many players make a mistake here; i.ex they never get some top C and prefer to wait for their B. This is a lot of lost adena And of course with this ruined economy crafting and trading allow to get some good cash fast (I use my cash only to buy mats and to help my clanies out).

So yes I played for hours a day, grinding  for my skills and grinding the market "crafting and selling" and also "buying low and selling high", this second half of the game I did mostly at night, actively in trade chat, as there were less people online to group with.

At lvl 53 I sold my doom plate and crafted myself a BW. Yes this will surprise many, even BDs can craft

When I left at lvl 54, after 1 month, our clan was counting 29 members and just hit lvl5. I have heard of many other clans doing it in 1-2 weeks. Yes the game got easier.

So now why did I leave ? Well, I have grinded mobs and the marked for days and nights and was at the point I needed to start all over for my soon to be A gear. This is my summary of the game : a grind for skills and gear + of course a great community. But even with the community it still is a grind.

Furthermore, about 50% (probably even much more than 50%) of the players base uses l2walker and is botting to lvl faster. I do not bot. Add the bots, the ebayers and the ruined economy and this is what you get.

But of course the ruined economy allows you to make some very good cash, much faster, if you know how. So yes, without the faster leveling added to the game mostly with C5 and without the ruined economy it took much longer to lvl in the past (heh, you see the ruined economy is actually a good thing ).

Finally: yes L2 was a great game I had countless times of great fun and have met truly good friends over and over again.

Cheers,

BM

--- cut for length ---

Np, I can see why you posted in such a way. The OP was a former player so I expect he already knows the game. Of course a new player would be mislead by such a summary.