Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newbie Mage..Newbie to WoW

Truemode2Truemode2 Member Posts: 46

Mage help...Hey every i just started WoW.. and am a lvl 20mage... and atm experimenting with the spells.I Was thinking to go in to schools of fire and ice but i have not clue witch and where to add my talanet points.But then i have been think i have been only useing my ice spells recently.So i wana know where to add my points to for a fire/ice pvp/rp mage.. thx

Money makeing.Well guys i know am a low lvl of 20 but i have been wondering wat is the best way to make money.Atm i just over 1 gold.I would like to make more gold to get some nice iteams for my lvl

Comments

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755
    I'd pick a different class, mage is hard for noobs.

• ferofaxferofax Member Posts: 82
    try this one...

Arcane (7 points)

2/2 Arcane Subtlety

5/5 Arcane Focus

Fire (12 points)

5/5 Impact

2/2 Flame Throwing

3/3 Improved Fire Blast

2/2 Incineration

Frost (42 points)

5/5 Improved Frostbolt

5/5 Ice Shards

3/3 Frostbite

2/2 Improved Frost Nova

3/3 Permafrost

3/3 Piercing Ice

1/1 Cold Snap

2/2 Arctic Reach

5/5 Shatter

1/1 Ice Block

3/3 Improved Cone of Cold

2/2 Ice Floes

1/1 Ice Barrier

5/5 Empowered Frostbolt

1/1 Summon Water Elemental

this is a PVP build though. Emphasis on good usage of Counterspell for the Arcane tree (if ur any good using it, you wouldnt need improved counterspell. however, you can always mix and match as you please). 12 points goes to the Fire tree, so that Fire Blast had that 10% stun proc. good to use on fleeing opponents. the rest goes to the Ice tree for the standard frost frozen crit spec mage.

---------------------------------
    be a sweetheart, help me dominate the world...

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362
    Originally posted by Nierro

I'd pick a different class, mage is hard for noobs.
    For PvP maybe.

For PvE a mage is one of the most straightforward classes.

Perhaps the original poster could clarify where his priorities lie, and what difficulties he is experiencing. e.g. does he prefer PvP or PvE.

As for talent specs, just take one of the builds from the blizzard mage forums (or the one posted above). As you play more you will understand your class better. That's when you should start creating your own builds. Generally speaking fire is better for PvE and frost for PvP.

As for money making, which trade skills do you have? Dual gatherers can make alot of money. It's also possible to do pretty well from manipulating the market. But don't worry about gear too much - unless you PvP alot, it doesn't make a vast amount of difference to a mage. Just visit instances regularly and your gear will be fine.

Rather than spend money on gear, you should start saving now. Paying for a mount at 40 is a big hurdle for new players.
  • Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822
     In PVE its still fairly rough.....i mean you guys have so many hit points , :p. If the person isnt a complete noob and can grasp the basic concepts of the game....it would go a long way. But if a person has there heart set on a particular class, I would not discourage them one way or the other....gotta learn some how.
  • nimativitlumnimativitlum Member Posts: 48

Mage

Directly transpose Mana into Direct & Semi Direct damage

Mages are incredible damage dealers. Roughly, 1 point of mana can cause above 12 damage at level 60. They're fairly easy to level if geared properly, and are

PvP killing machines where a shaman isnt availible. They have the ability to conjure food and water, thus being a fairly self-reliant class. Mages can stand

up to shamans of their own levels and hold their ground, but a mage without mana is like a hunter without his pet. As a mage, you must have mana management

skills or you will surely fail.

Pros: Insane damage output, alot of speed affecting debuffs, ability to conjure food/water

Cons: Inept melee skills, absolute mana guzzlers, requries definate skill to use effectively

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787
    Originally posted by Truemode2

Mage help...Hey every i just started WoW.. and am a lvl 20mage... and atm experimenting with the spells.I Was thinking to go in to schools of fire and ice but i have not clue witch and where to add my talanet points.But then i have been think i have been only useing my ice spells recently.So i wana know where to add my points to for a fire/ice pvp/rp mage.. thx
    Money makeing.Well guys i know am a low lvl of 20 but i have been wondering wat is the best way to make money.Atm i just over 1 gold.I would like to make more gold to get some nice iteams for my lvl
    Fire = high damage pyromaniac, the idea being to nuke the other guy before he can reach you. Much more of a high risk style of play, but much higher damage for DPS-oriented players.

Ice = moderate (still good, but less than fire) damage coupled with a lot of control over movement, including various freeze effects.  Much more of a control style of play: freeze the target then nuke him and if things go badly put up an ice block, or frost him and then run and kite.

Arcane = utility abilities and now being re-examined (mostly due to the nerf of frost nova) as a viable endgame spec.  Less mobs resist arcane than elemental damage, so needed for some fights.

Making money = get 2 gathering skills (at the moment certainly mining because ore is trading high on the AH, and then herbalism or skinning), pick up everything and sell it on the auction house for gold.  Mining alone will earn quite a bit of money.  Also pick up fishing, skill it up and fish pools for rare drops in chests and that kind of thing or deviate fish from the oases in The Barrens and sell on the AH.
  • nimativitlumnimativitlum Member Posts: 48
    my crit mage

Fire Mastery

Impact Rank 5

Ignite Rank 4

Flame Throwing Rank 2

Incinerate Rank 2

Improved Flamestrike Rank 3

Burning Soul Rank 2

Improved Scorch Rank 2

Critical Mass Rank 3

Blast Wave Rank 1

Fire Total: 24

Arcane Mastery

Improved Arcane Missiles Rank 5

Arcane Concentration Rank 5

Improved Dampen Magic Rank 1

Improved Arcane Explosion Rank 5

Evocation Rank 1

Improved Mana Shield Rank 1

Improved Counterspell Rank 2

Presence of Mind Rank 1

Arcane Mind Rank 4

Arcane Instability Rank 2

Arcane Total: 27

Total

Total Points Spent: 51

Level Required: 60
    ...there's a lot of input here to consider, but its still not enough, then there are other source sites too. you should go check em out sometime.

• brokenneedlebrokenneedle Member Posts: 100
    I went the frost mage path for most of my mages.  Maybe a little slower in the killing but super easy to kite and kill.  And I loved pvping with a mage.  But now my main is a BM hunter so having too much pvp fun to mess with my mages ;)

imageimage

• laffncrylaffncry Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by Truemode2

Mage is really a hard build esp for new players. So i suggest try out a few characters then get the hang of things or if you really want  to go for it then you can always check on some sites or just review threads here. I think there was this thread about a month ago that asked the same q's! Goodluck!
  • LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

My advice for new mage players (being a 70 mage for mage player 2+ years):

1. If you want to level up fast and it's your first character. Go fire spec. Fire allows you to kill single targets faster due to fireball/fireblast which are your main staple spells.

2. Mages are a very self reliant class. You can summon your own food and water saving you some money from having to beg/buy from npcs or other players. At around level 20 you get your first teleport spell which allows you to teleport yourself to the capital cities which saves you a lot of travelling time (you can train the portal spells from the capital city portal trainers usually found in the caster section of the city).

3. Mages start off as a very weak class and you get progressively stronger as you level up. Even at high level a mage cannot stand toe-to-toe against meleeing opponent for too long. Range is your best friend. All the time you will be attacking your opponents from range. Mages have many spells/talents that allows you to gain range from your opponents like frost nova and blink (teleport short distance forward).

4. Unlike a melee class like warrior, you do not have to be constantly upgrading your equipment (weapons/armor) in order to cope with killing tougher enemies. A mage can generally fare good with equipment about 10 levels below your current level. But its good practice to upgrade your equipment whenever you can find them (from drops and dungeon loot) just don't spend too much money on it.

5. Be sure to learn First Aid, it will help you on your journey. First aid allows you to heal yourself (and others) even during battle as long as nothing is hitting you. If your HP is low you can frost nova your opponent, use bandage (first aid) on yourself to heal up a bit. First aid is considered a secondary trade skill so you can learn it as well as 2 other primary trade skill. There's no real reason not to learn first aid. And having it will really help you in surviving fights. At high levels the heavy netherweave bandages can heal up to 3400 hp so it's great to have them.

6. As a mage you want equipment that has +INT (your primary stat) on it. You will want to also consider equipment with +STA and +SPR on them. Some equipment have +damage (increase your spell to hit harder) on them, they can be rare but they are worth using it.

7. As a mage, you want a lot of mana. Because a mage without mana is as good as dead. Each point of INT gives you about 15 mana and each point of STA gives you about 10 health.

8. There are 3 school of talents in your talent tree. Arcane, Fire and Frost. Arcane does the most damage but cost the most mana, it has a few utility talents on it, also with arcane you are sacrificing your defense for as much damage as possible. Fire talents have some great damage talents on it, and little survival talents. Frost talents have lesser damage talents on it but it has the best in terms of survival. Depending on your play style/ taste each talent tree can better suit you.

9. WoW has some quirks that other mmorpgs doesn't have. You cannot eat/drink or rest up while in battle mode. As long as something is attacking you or has it's attention on you (aggressive) you are considered in battle mode. You also cannot cast portal spells or use your mount while in battle mode (there are exceptions). So if say a monster attacks you, you cannot simply hop on a mount and just run away. You either have to face the monsters and kill it or escape in other ways before you can go out of battle mode.

10. Natural Mana generation is STOPPED while you are casting spells. Yes, this is one of those weird things that Blizzard put inside WoW's combat mechanics.  So you cannot cast spells and regenerate mana at the same time. However some talents/abilities/equipment will let you continue to regenerate mana even while casting spells (abiet in a reduced rate).

11. Crowd control. A mage has one of the best crowd control spells in the game that affects humans and beasts (which is about maybe 70% of all npcs in the game) called Polymorph. Once you cast it on a humanoid or beast type mob, the monster transforms into a harmless sheep/pig/turtle for the duration of the spell. However when something is transformed into a sheep/pig/turtle it will regenerate it's HP to 100%. However the spell ends whenever the victim is damaged in any way.

12. Spells: A mage has various spells at it's disposable. Some are offensive, some defensive, some are utility.

Some Examples of Offensive spells (you use them to kill stuff):

Fireball

Frostbolt

Arcane Missiles

Arcane Blast (you get at high lvl )

Ice Last

FireBlast

Flamestrike

Blizzard

Some examples of defensive spells (use for defense or protection):

Frost Nova

Blink

Mana Shield

Fire ward

Frost Ward

Dampen/Amplify Magic

Polymorph

Counterspell

Some examples of Utility spells (various uses):

Teleport self

Summon Portal

Create Food

Create Water

Create Mana gems

Detect Magic

...great post. although ive never played a mage character (at least, not yet), this certainly made me consider making an alt... but, my main is too young to support alts gears yet. so maybe later.