Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE today?

technomadtechnomad Member Posts: 10

I've been thinking of getting back into EVE. I played beta and a couple months of retail. I admit I never left the newb stage of development. That learning curve is freakin steepimage But I always felt the game had potential. My biggest gripe was that mining was the only means of a newbie to get anywhere. I mined and mined to get money to get better mining equipment so I could mine some more. That got old quick. Is EVE still like this today or have more ways for a newb to make money been made available? Can a newb with no corp backing or friends get a foot into the game in a reasonable timeframe without mining?

Comments

• imasigimasig Member Posts: 149

You can do agent missions until you start getting rare items and blueprints and sell them for money.  That is very lucrative but there is a lot of grind involved with agent missions.  They get very repetitive.  There is also some darn good money in NPC hunting...but you'll need to make sure you're powerful enough for that as the NPC have gotten pretty mean.

• ThoemseThoemse Member UncommonPosts: 457

You can earn your living off killing npcs as well. Sure mining is a very fast way of earning isk but it'S by far not the only one.
    For only 20k you get athe cheapest fighting frigate wich can handle all npcs down to 0.7 sec space.

Just kill npcs loot their cans and sell the stuff or melt it down to minerals and sell the minerals.
    That way you can get rare named loot as well.

I suggest you give it another try. It's worth it!

• XaximusXaximus Member Posts: 7

How do you find NPCs to kill, and is that sort of killing punishable by Concord? Or are we talking criminal NPCs, so Concord won't get involved?

• GrettirGrettir Member Posts: 40

Agent missions can do fine for money, personally I like to mine.. I just use a cargohauler for it and mine while afk. Just find a Big nice Astroid and you will get like 300k while you sleep or go to school/work. Nothing big but better then nothing.

This method takes some starting money, you need to train the skills for indys and get money for the ship/skills. So doing agent missions is fine for that.

Eve end game at this point is all about corps  and such, might be more interesting for freelancers with Shiva patch/expansion tho, then they will most likely add "Space dungeons" where you can whack those npcs all day long if its your game.

Originally posted by Xaximus

How do you find NPCs to kill, and is that sort of killing punishable by Concord? Or are we talking criminal NPCs, so Concord won't get involved?

NPCs are in any asteroid belt usually. You wont find any in 1.0 and 0.9 security systems though.

No it's not punishable by concord. They actually pay the bounty when you kill those npcs. :)

• technomadtechnomad Member Posts: 10
    How do you mine while afk? The game I remember playing involved finding rare minerals which required traveling to lower security zones. The common metals weren't worth mining. If you mined lower zones, you had Angel cartel guys spawning in the field and attacking you. So mining afk wasn't a good idea.

The only way to mine afk now is doing it in an indy with only one miner in a 1.0 or 0.9 sec space. Since all those sectors are empty mined usually you wont be able to do it.

It's also something ppl see as cheating so don't be surprised if you're dead when you come back to watch if your indy is full now (takes hours).

If you think 1.0 space is secure i tell you how ppl kill afk miners: Get a kestrela nd mount cruise missiles. Lock on the afk dude and fire 2 volleys. Warp out. When the missiles hit and destroy the indy concord will come but you aren't there anymore .image

Some timea atgo there was afk mining in hidden grid belts but CCP fixed that bug with castor patch.

I suggest you find yourself a belt with some good ores and mine the old fasioned way as we all do.

Or skip the boring mining and do something more fun like killing npcs. image

Lol, cheating?

Nah, its not cheating.. This is a slow method and Im betting most of the established players dont bother with this. Also like you said, your not safe doing this but if anyone want to mess up their security status to kill a indy in 0,9 space that gives no good loot then they are most welcome.

Originally posted by Grettir
    Lol, cheating?
    Nah, its not cheating.. This is a slow method and Im betting most of the established players dont bother with this. Also like you said, your not safe doing this but if anyone want to mess up their security status to kill a indy in 0,9 space that gives no good loot then they are most welcome.

Yeah that's true but you would be surprised how much such people are around.
    I afk mined that way a long time ago to earn my 1st cruiser myself.

Ya I hear you, I can believe that many could think its cheating. There are still many in UltimaOnline that think UOassist is illegal. Anyways, they can think what they like, bottom line there are no rules being broken or 3rd party programs used.

• technomadtechnomad Member Posts: 10
    So I can hunt and kill npcs from the start? I don't remember that being possible before. I had to mine for a week jsut to upgrade my newbie ship with a bigger hold or more mining lasers, forget about a new ship.

Yes you can kill npcs for money and build factions with them for better missions. Its abit tedious but a very vialbe method. Still the first month of playing is slow, no matter what your playstyle is. You need skills to use good ships and it takes times increasing those skills. But when you get the ability to fly a cruiser, things get more interesting and you will have more options.