Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

the real threat to SoH...

Comments

• ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

Pre-orders != sales.

Just ask all the people that raved about their Vanguard preorders. Until Jan 5th, anyway.

I wouldn't say I'm flaming him,really. More like heckling. Though, what did he expect, posting something like that in the VG forum. Ya know, I bet he's a paid Turbine employee!!!!

I do think the more rabid members of the LotRO fanbase making many of the very same noises that the rabid members of the VG fanbase made/make, after criticizing them for it, is the height of hilarity. Or hypocrisy. Your choice.

• DicharekDicharek Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Originally posted by wyzwun

5 letters, starts with an L and ends with an O... Come march 30th its game over...
    But dont worry, AA and Angerr... well take you in :)
    expect server merges next month ^^
    It's like saying that LOTRO will not survive this year because of 6 letters; 'AoC' and 'WAR'

One of the games has revolutionary gameplay and says bye, bye to children and hello bloodbath.

The other is simply the most anticipated mmo in the world.

All LOTRO has to even be worth mentioning by then is that it's based upon LOTR.

How fast can YOU say server merge?

(Not that I won't be playing it, but I really don't think I will by christmas.)
  • mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241

Played beta for both.

VG was just not my style.  The graphics were nice but even on a very high end computer I had to turn settings down to not feel chunky lag everywhere.  Then there is the bugs.  Sure every game has them so I tend to overlook them but stupid things like dismounting/losing your buffs etc. while crossing their little server lines was about the weakest thing I've seen in an mmo, and this was supposed to be a WoW killer.

LOTR.  It has a pretty big following.  I can see numbers getting pretty decent, way better than VG at least.  I won't be buying it.  This game is just as much crap as VG is.

I'd say the biggest threat to Sigil is any game that releases in the next few months because only the hardcore fans are going to stick with this game for a long period of time.

• MarkajMarkaj Member Posts: 165

I have repeated this elsewhere: You can not compare Lotro and VG. Lotro is a game, VG is potential. Whether you "enjoy" it or not is irrelevant, I am talking about the delivery. VG is 6 months to 1 year from being a purchasable product, but Lotro was there even months ago. Lotro is the "but every MMO is released unfinished" lie exposed and squashed!

Before anyone starts with "But every MMO is buggy at release, ya da ya da", there is something called "relativity". Does Lotro have bugs? sure. Does Lotro have issues? sure. However, "in comparison to" VG, Lotro is near perfect.

Does it work as intended? Yes. Are the slogans already in game? pretty much. Do models, nature, structures and lore have consistency? Mostly. Is the engine optimized? Yes. Also, Lotro is not undecided in its mechanics whether it is for casuals or hardcore. The game would not be for you, but you have to give it credit for being a game and not merely potential.

CONTRIBUTE INTO THE GAMING INDUSTRY! STOP PAYING FOR BORING COPYCATS, UNFINISHED BUGFESTS AND CRANKY JUNKWARE. BE A RESPONSIBLE GAMER!

• ThonyThony Member Posts: 215
    Originally posted by Markaj

I have repeated this elsewhere: You can not compare Lotro and VG. Lotro is a game, VG is potential. Whether you "enjoy" it or not is irrelevant, I am talking about the delivery. VG is 6 months to 1 year from being a purchasable product, but Lotro was there even months ago. Lotro is the "but every MMO is released unfinished" lie exposed and squashed!
    Before anyone starts with "But every MMO is buggy at release, ya da ya da", there is something called "relativity". Does Lotro have bugs? sure. Does Lotro have issues? sure. However, "in comparison to" VG, Lotro is near perfect.
    Does it work as intended? Yes. Are the slogans already in game? pretty much. Do models, nature, structures and lore have consistency? Mostly. Is the engine optimized? Yes. Also, Lotro is not undecided in its mechanics whether it is for casuals or hardcore. The game would not be for you, but you have to give it credit for being a game and not merely potential.

Okay before you have the wrong idea about me let me say this: i like LotrO and i like V:SoH both for completly different reason. Now i do agree that to some extent LOTRO does feel more stabel/finished then V:SoH did at launch, fully agree on that from a personal perspective. But you, me or anyone else can not predict what will happen on launch with LotrO, you felt/feel its more finished, i felt it was more Finished but maybe you should open your eye's and read the LotrO forums, then ask yourself are you and me both wrong in saying the game feels complete while their are so many people contridicting what we say is finished? Nope we not both wrong but we base what we say on our own experiance, your experiance could be bad in V:SoH i have not yet had such bad luck most seem to have, well i can say i'm not worried about losing buff/pets/mounts, it's a game, the only thing any gamer might loose when playing a game is time which might have been spend on something really productive but instead we made the choice to play a game instead, what kind of game is all up to everyone personaly. Is it a game you like that i play or do you think i will be playing games that i like, seems many people are under the false information that when they say a game sucks that this is fact, yeah sure it is fact for them personaly but this does not mean it has to be FACT as in the reality for everyone.

Trust me the same thing will happen again and again with new released games, not saying they all will start with the same ammount of bugs , but there will always be people that say this or that and trying to make it the truth while all it is is our personal opinions, wonder how long it will take for some of you people to develop this skill. The most reduculus kind of people are those that speak of games not even in a beta fase and they supose to kick V:SOH and LOTRO, unless like someone else said: They from the future??

• tetsultetsul Member Posts: 1,020
    Originally posted by Coldmeat

You are referring to Lord of the Rings Online, developed by Turbine, yes? Or are you playing a secret version of the game made by someone else?
    And people say the Vanbois are off in their own little world...

I give them a pass because 90% of the time I don't know what the hell they're talking about. "The Riktra of Riverdell would beat the Externa of Wasslefloop if Ratrake isn't involved." Yeah sure, whatever.

LotRO is a fun little game, but it's really kind of shallow. One thing I will give it though is at least Turbine will make some money off of it and it works, unlike their last few attempts. Should keep the makers of AC going.

But really, why is this thread in this forum?

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

what really makes lotro so shallow and vanguard so deep?

character customization? nope. Both are near the same.

Class customization: nope. I give this to lotro for more unique classes, and to vg for more classes overall.

Combat? nope. Both have the same buttonmasher combat system a la eq2.

Story: lotro is based on questing/story. VG requires diplomacy card game to access story. I PREFER lotro, since i dislike diplomacy. LOtro's story design is lightyears agead of other mmo's.

World? vg is certainly bigger, lotro is better imo. The same way eq1 content was better than ac1. Exactly.

Graphics: i give it to lotro. looks better on lower end machines, runs better on any machine.

Fluff: Vanguard has houses, boats and flying mounts(plus for Vanguard). Lotro has better animations, effects player music, pipeweed, moved away from "magic",  dread, the evil eye getting skills from souces other then levelling.

Attention to detail: LOTRO hands down. The dont do as much, but they do has excellent detail to it. I can put out a fire with a bucket of water in lotro.  

grinding:  Vanguard more like eq, lotro quest based ( more like wow) preference lotro.

tradeskills: dont know. dont like them in either game.

Conclusion: LOTRO is a better designed game, but also a smaller game. My preference at this point is lotro because they can always make the game bigger with content. The things i dislike about vanguard probabally cannot be so easily remidied.

as far as pure depth is concerned neither has the proper systems in place for it. They are both eq clones.  

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Originally posted by anarchyart

5 letters, starts with an L and ends with an O... Come march 30th its game over...

Two completely different games mang. One has training wheels, one does not. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

If you think Vanguard is advanced, then you NEED those training wheels.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• TedDansonTedDanson Member Posts: 513

Sorry, but I just don't see it. Lotro is alright, but nothing all that different from WoW, or any other casual friendly MMO. It's got fairly decent graphics, and it's fun in an easy sort of way. It will do well as far as sales and subs go, but I just don't understand why you feel it needs to make Vanguard flop. Why is it that the two games can't exist, and have their own fan bases? Why does LOTRO have to be the winner as if this is some sort of competition?

Oh, and by the way, just because YOU think Lotro is better doesn't mean that everyone else in the world does. Your opinion does not count as fact, and neither does your prognostication. You cannot see the future, so please don't pretend you can.

• anwaranwar Member UncommonPosts: 108

Vanguard will survive...barely....probably some server merges thouugh, the worlds are sparsly populated. 

Vanguard is going to have to figure a way to get players to congregate, fix the bugs, add a LOT of quests and content (yes even after level 10), add the concept of rested bonus to experience (become casual-friendly...sorry but it's the only thing that will work)...

Then do a very creative re-launch with free trial on new servers where new chars can be assured of a busy newbie area and where they won't have to compete with the launch hardcore players and not feel they have to "catch up".

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    Personally I don't think any game will kill off Vanguard, Vanguard is killing itself just fine without help from the outside :)

Soon all that will be left in the game are the people that thought Everquest was a 'hardcore' experience roflmao.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Everything I have read about lotor , Screams linear streamlined gameplay . Players seeking that are already in a game and seem happy there . This certain game  houses the largest amount of paying subscribers in gaming today . Why would the players  seeking a game like Vanguard , Be interested in LOTOR ? Aside from the fantasy appeal the games are completely opposite . Vanguard offers a world , LOTOR offers a story . These two spectrums have two totally different fan bases .

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• vingvegavingvega Member Posts: 577
    LOTRO is too hollow.  There was nothing there to grab me by my testicles and drag me back to playing it.  It's like Guild Wars Redux with a Tolkein theme.  Actually, i think i would rather farm murlocs in WoW for 3 days straight....it would be more enjoyable.  As for Vanguard....they release an unfinished game....that = death.  Just like AC2. Dead, buried, worm food.  Actually I think I use the AC2 disk as a coaster for my Mountain Dew.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by vingvega

LOTRO is too hollow.  There was nothing there to grab me by my testicles and drag me back to playing it.  It's like Guild Wars Redux with a Tolkein theme.  Actually, i think i would rather farm murlocs in WoW for 3 days straight....it would be more enjoyable.  As for Vanguard....they release an unfinished game....that = death.  Just like AC2. Dead, buried, worm food.  Actually I think I use the AC2 disk as a coaster for my Mountain Dew.
    Just like SWG , EQ2 and so many others ?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• spikenogspikenog Member Posts: 283
    The real threat to SoH = Itself.
  • vingvegavingvega Member Posts: 577
    EQ2 actually was interesting and fun to play and had REAL PVP not some crap Monster PVP where carebears get to play pre-made level 50 monsters.  I don't play EQ2 anymore, because I hate SOE.  I played SWG for a week and threw it away.  I'm waiting for Age Of Conan now.  WoW was ok for the past two years, so now it's time to move onto something worth playing...and LoTRO is not my style. Carebears FTW!
  • AreelAreel Member Posts: 285

LotRO isn't supposed to compete with Vangaurd.  They are intended for different audiences.

From what I've seen, LotRO is very polished, has incredible artistic design and looks great, is very true to the Middle Earth lore, and uses instancing to tell a cohesive and compelling story that the player feels a part of.  On the other hand, the gameworld is comparatively small, gameplay offers nothing new, and the classes are pretty bland.

In the end, I think that LotRO will do well, at least will have enough consistant subscribers to last for several years.  The target audience is Tolkien fans, both MMOers and newbies.  It'll also attract casual gamers due to its wealth of solo content.  Anyone looking for a huge sandbox, or lots of PvP, may as well look elsewhere.

Seriously.
    It's Are'el. This forum doesn't allow apostrophes in usernames.

• stylee99stylee99 Member Posts: 116
    Originally posted by solareus

Originally posted by anarchyart

Two completely different games mang. One has training wheels, one does not. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Maybe someday Vanguard can take off the training wheels, but so far you can go back to your hotbar spam a thon , it will be a long time before a game can actually compare itself to some of the complexity of  LotRO

hahaha. I wasn't going to respond to this troll thread, but you made me, damn you! You are either joking, or completely drunk - "complexity of LotRO"? Yikes.
  • KombatJesusKombatJesus Member Posts: 236

Casual means they have a life, and that is why the "hardcore" try to create cloak of inferiority over a casual player.

I'm a casauls Counter=strike player now ,but I will still own your ass.

This is all life.  Whether people spend their time playing video games or dividing it up amongst video games, movies, television.  As long as you have fun doing whatever you are doing then thats what it is all about.

I pwn in cod2 BTW. 

http://mentaltruancy.guildportal.com - Friendly Vanguard:Saga of Heroes Qalia based Guild.

• dand3dand3 Member Posts: 241
    Originally posted by Areel

LotRO isn't supposed to compete with Vangaurd.  They are intended for different audiences.
    From what I've seen, LotRO is very polished, has incredible artistic design and looks great, is very true to the Middle Earth lore, and uses instancing to tell a cohesive and compelling story that the player feels a part of.  On the other hand, the gameworld is comparatively small, gameplay offers nothing new, and the classes are pretty bland.
    In the end, I think that LotRO will do well, at least will have enough consistant subscribers to last for several years.  The target audience is Tolkien fans, both MMOers and newbies.  It'll also attract casual gamers due to its wealth of solo content.  Anyone looking for a huge sandbox, or lots of PvP, may as well look elsewhere.

I pretty much agree.

The use of instancing in LotRO for storyline purposes as well as good ol' dungeons may be the game's most important claim to developing the genre. The Archet graduating instance was one of the most compelling gaming experiences I've ever had.

I no longer look at these games for the number of checklist features.  Fun is greater than the sum of the checkmarks, and for me, LotRO has it, and VG did not.  The gameworld in LotRO is smaller, but far more dense than Vanguard's. As a result, the amount of actual content is a lot closer than many would think.  It's also worth noting that LotRO is based on the map of Middle Earth (doh!) and at best 15% is ingame so far.  Expansions are promised, and Turbine has a pretty good record on expansions.

• ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

Originally posted by dand3
    Expansions are promised, and Turbine has a pretty good record on expansions.

They do? All two of them?

• matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431

I think there is a LOTRO message board on mmorpg.com

I can provide you the link if you want!

eqnext.wikia.com

• matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431
    Originally posted by Deathstrike2

Originally posted by Fariic

Originally posted by Coldmeat

Originally posted by Fariic

That is why out of the blue it has become one of the best selling games(not expansions) in the past 2 years in the mmo genre ?
    LoTRO has set sales records? When did it go on sale? Are you talking about a dif. game?

He's from the FUTAR!!!

The 4th grade?

Man, now I'm even more confused.

I guess all these people who supposedly beta tested LOTR missed that big screen that talks about PRE-Ordering the game.  Strange, huh?  Almost makes one believe that they are bashing that game just to make Vanguard look better, but surely they wouldn't do that...surely.

I tested LOTRO a while ago... that screen was not there.  sorry....

I just think it ridiculous that people feel the need to come in VG board to talk about LOTRO.  If you think it's gonna kill VG, fine.  Talk about it, but talk about it over the LOTRO board.

eqnext.wikia.com

• DrackeanDrackean Member Posts: 33
    Its amazing how many ppl bash a game just cuaz it wasnt there cup of tea, vanguard going to die i really doupt that i run into a lot of ppl in the game. Yes vanguard is complex there is so much to do.. so you might have to explore or something, a quest might be hard an you need a group to do it o well. I havent checked out the lord of the rings mmo yets an i really dnt intend to just cuaz i liked the books but i really dnt fill the need to go an play as if i was in it. The hole thing just doesnt catch my eye.

But yes vanguard has bugs, an after the game update i believe things actually got better. I havent seen what ppl are complaining about same goes for my friends who play. But to say a game will be the new type of mmo is just annoying ppl have been saying that about every mmo. My thoughts about this just that if you like lord of the rings go to there forums. this game is great just stop compairing it to every thing else its diffrent in its own way.
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by Enigma

I dont know if Ill be comfortable saying LotrO will kill off Vanguard.  To be honest, i think LotrO will be just as bad but in different areas.  I don't know....Ill find out when it comes out lol
    The truth is nothing kills a MMO.  It takes a lot to kill a MMO.
    God, when was the last time you seen a popular MMO shut down it's servers?  The last ones I know of is AC2 and EnB
    LOL ain't that the truth, even Dark and Light and Faces of Mankind still have a server up. The biggest threat to SoH though is money and SOE, I predict massive changes to try and make it more casual friendly in order to try and lure WoW players and LoTRO players over. You can see the writing on the wall in Brads nerd rage post.

I miss DAoC