Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

in-character RP-games available anymore?

Hey people ;)

Did throughout search today to find some game that supports strongly old-school roleplaying. I found few promising ones, but still I realized that the grind in order to level was in major part of those games.

So.. anyone come across a decent game, where the roleplaying itself plays the major part? By that I mean games where you won't have to worry about stacking bonuses or boosts or whatever you find in mainstream powergaming. Game where you can play lunatic shaman or guiltydriven thief etc. without need to grind or force your character through a narrow questdriven development process. Game what allows to play character with great depth.

MUD:s could be the answer, but still I am more keen to games where you have at least minimum UI to keep things somewhat organized.

Appreciate any directions pointed.

Thanks ;)

(sorry about layout - something with my browser compatibility with these forums)

Comments

• mbbladembblade Member Posts: 747

well your gonna be looking for a long time cuz they replaced RPing with PVP, so i guess your gonna have to find RPing somewhere else now

• JimdalJimdal Member Posts: 3

I've had a look on games that focus more on rpg than other, or games that supports rp more. I've found two games that have not been released yet.

Trials of Ascension is a upcoming game, it will have features such as permadeath, and the general chat and the ability to talk over long distances have been removed, so if you are going to meet up with someone you have to make arrangements. The different species you can play will have major differences and abilities. They say they are focusing on that you will have fun with whatever character you choose to play. http://www.shadowpool.com/

The other game is a real life like mmo called Adellion. You will be able to choose from jobs like skinner, butcher, jeweler, farmer aso. There will be no magic, and combat is very deadly indeed. They are trying to make a rp friendly environment. Though permadeath is a vicious thing(be sure to have an heir to inherite your legacy) http://www.adellion.com/

Though I most likely will play AoC in the future, I will still look into these games, they seem very interesting and very different. I hope this help some in your search for rpg, though not sure if these games will be old school rpg.

• PimpDaddyGPimpDaddyG Member Posts: 16
    The NWN games (1 and 2) have some excellent roleplaying servers.  They have the best RP I have ever found in an online game.  Only downside is that the games aren't exactly "MMOs."  You'll be playing with the same community for a while (albiet they will alternate characters so it will be more interesting.)
  • EggFteggEggFtegg Member Posts: 1,141
    Originally posted by mbblade

well your gonna be looking for a long time cuz they replaced RPing with PVP, so i guess your gonna have to find RPing somewhere else now
    The best RP I've ever found in an online game was in an open PvP environment.

• ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978
    Salt --

As an old school RPer who is looking to do that along with the rest of the game mechanics (combat, craft, whatever), I have to tell you that it is not about the game; it's about the people. Now, I will grant you that some games give you far more RPing tools than others (emotes that are animated, taverns/bars/social places to hang out in, etc), but most games have enough tools that you can make do and get some good roleplay -- if you have the right people.

The reality is that most people play these games as arcade games, not RPGs. And there is really nothing wrong with that, but it is not how I want to play them. What I have found is that the only solution is not the game, nor even an "RP server", but rather, finding the right people. What you want to do is find a decent sized RP guild that suits your taste. Most guilds are either what I would call "hardcore RP" (everyone is in character all the time) or more "moderate" (most people RP some of the time but not always, and some RP more than others). Then there are some that are "light RP" (a few people RP and the rest don't object, but not many do). Despite really loving RP, I have found that I am happiest in "moderate RP" guilds (where guild chat and group chat is "out of character" but local/spatial chats and emotes are RPed). The reason is that hardcore RP guilds tend to get very fractious and divisive because players often cannot tell when someone is being IC or OOC and it gets confusing (I had a guild of otherwise friends, as players, that broke up because people could not tell when their character rather than their player was doing things). This kind of confusion seems to happen much less in moderate RP guilds.

So, my advice is decide what kind of RP you want -- hardcore, moderate, light -- and what style of game you want -- fantasy, sci-fi, etc. Then hit the forums of a few games in that style (official ones, or do google searches for them) and look for RP threads and RP guilds. You will find them everywhere, and once you get into a roleplay guild, you are set. Nobody else on the server will probably RP with you, but that won't matter if your guild mates do (at least, it does not to me). And sometimes you can find other RP guilds too... when I was in COH, our RP group on Justice ended up finding a few other RPers by accident (we were both as groups RPing in Atlas Park and noticed each other) and the two groups inter-leaved their RP on occasion, making a much wider pool.

C
  • outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by Jimdal

The other game is a real life like mmo called Adellion. You will be able to choose from jobs like skinner, butcher, jeweler, farmer aso. There will be no magic, and combat is very deadly indeed. They are trying to make a rp friendly environment. Though permadeath is a vicious thing(be sure to have an heir to inherite your legacy) http://www.adellion.com/

Nice...This game looks really sweet.

Is There Permadeath?

Yes, however after a new character is created they have a period, 1 week, where they cannot be harmed, harm anyone else or use any of the rogue skills. After this period is over they may be killed or knocked unconscious. If they are killed they experience a 'near death' stage and wake up in the nearest hospital currently controlled by their default culture. A player may have 3 of these experiences but the third time they die for good and must continue playing as their heir or choose a new character. If they have no heir then they must create a new character. Heirs inherit all the physical goods of their previous avatar. If a player wishes death the first time they die and not use their 'near death', that is also a possibility.

• SaltmannySaltmanny Member Posts: 4
    Right on - very helpful answers people, thank you.

And you brought good point up there, Chessack. Wonder why always thought that finding right game would produce also RP. Maybe I thought that game with deep character development would attract people more to play in their characters, or something like that. But I must agree that it's more in the people that play the game than in game itself.

I tried few potential games in the last weeks - enjoyed them awhile no doubt, but I think I'm still looking "for the right one". ;)
  • EggFteggEggFtegg Member Posts: 1,141

Well MUDs certainly are a pretty good answer for you. The Iron Realms MUDs are good ones to try out and free to play (for the most part). Some pretty full on, enforced role-play there (they call any OOC chat in the main channel "insanity").

If you choose a good client (such as ZMud or Portal - although the one it comes with is pretty good) and learn a bit of scripting, you can set up a kind of UI for it and keep things in order to some extent.

• IIRLIIRL Member Posts: 876
    Wait for Darkfall, it might take decades,I'm going to be in character 24/7 even if people around me aren't... And hopefully me and my friends will find people who will be roleplayers aswell.

I CREATED MYSELF!
    <3 "<Claus|Dev> i r pk"

SW:TOR|War40K:DMO|GW2